Free Greens Are Very Bad For Freebies!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=74165

skepticalcynic

01-03-2008 08:27:23

I know this is going to be a controversial thread. That's ok - my goal is to get people to think about this and discuss it. So read this and then fire away...

In the last several months many people have complained about
- not being able to get referrals
- people with no trade record trying to pay for referrals
- not enough "newbies" to go green
- etcetera...

At the same time, more and more and more site owners are giving away free greens in a misguided effort to drum up more business.

The problem with this is obvious - giving away free greens means there will necessarily be less referrals - for traders, for sites, for everyone.

I can't possibly be the only one who sees this. This is basic economics more supply = less demand; and free supply = NO demand. Which in turn equals no viable way to make any kind of profit on referral-based freebies. And worse yet, it makes it nearly impossible to even get a free gift!

I am not saying this is the only issue, but it is certainly a contributing factor.

SITE OWNERS - PLEASE STOP GIVING AWAY FREE GREENS!!

zr2152

01-03-2008 10:12:34

I agree with you 100% (unless it is a promotional thing).Along with that, there are many things that site owners need to be doing to keep this freebie scene alive but im not going to post them because this thread would probably turn into a flame war and get locked. It is difficult though because you will always have that one site who doesnt care and will be going away from the norm. And honestly,

who doesnt want free greens?

TravMan162

01-03-2008 11:02:17

i agree and i disagree.

obviously the logic behind your explanation is dead on. supply and demand is a simple concept, and, in and of itself, a site advertising free greens is absolutely a bad bad idea...

however, I also believe that if a site wanted to hand out some free greens, there is a way to do it that would not jeopardize the freebie scene. if they decided to go this way, they need to set a specific amount of time to run the promo. one week, maybe two tops, and they need to not advertise. the owner of the site needs to tell his support team and then they can feel free to tell the people that they actually talk to on sites like these, or friends and family. BUT they can't be posting threads that advertise, or use any means that mass advertise the free green, because it will lead to exactly what you said.

a promo is a good thing, but in this case, especially with trading seeming to be dying a bit, it needs to be controlled and executed in a logical manner that allows everyone to benefit.

KT412

01-03-2008 11:35:20

I agree 100% with the above statements. Also, the "forever green" phemonon is also an industry-killer

The freebie industry should revolve around the offers. Plain and simple. With so many networks offering "forever greens", your typical new trader will sign up for a few sites that have "forever green" and then continually pay for referrals on these sites over and over again, without ever having to do another offer.

Obviously this hurts trading since if these sites didn't exist, the person would cash out and then have to green up on another site (or even green on the same site again) - but in either instance they would have to do more offers, which is good for the scene.

The best networks (Trainn, Free4me, and 123stuffforfree) have old school policies in place of no free greens, no repeatable sites (which by design means the forever green is a moot point). I think the other 95% of networks should take lessons from the big three and stop shooting themselves in the foot.

Good topic.

KT412

01-03-2008 11:38:02

Also, the "forever green" rules hurt if not totally kill green for green trading. I think that's the real genesis of trading and how it was MEANT to be. Hence the term "trading".

Now, only a small number of people even want to consider doing offers, and god forbid they cost more than $1 to do! The cost shouldn't be the main factor, whether or not you're interested in the product or service should be - there's the motivation!!

EatChex89

01-03-2008 11:48:06

I like it, I think it helps me get my free stuff.

The freebie scene has already died mostly anyway so whatever.

TFOAF

01-03-2008 13:02:00

[quote3e57209331="EatChex89"]I like it, I think it helps me get my free stuff.

The freebie scene has already died mostly anyway so whatever.[/quote3e57209331]
Agreed. Free greens are also good, because sometimes people can't complete an offer on a specific site, or they don't want to, and this way they can just pay people to be their referrals and they have nothing else to worry about.

JKirk

01-03-2008 13:39:35

You can't universally stop it though because sites are always looking for that edge. I feel your pain and you are dead on with your rant.

ajasax

01-03-2008 15:03:05

Uh...isn't it the same as B&M stores having sales/incentives? 1 less green you need ~ 1 less $ you need? It's not going to be the downfall of the freebie business...just businesses vying for your patronage shrug

KT412

01-03-2008 15:07:55

[quoted98578c923="JKirk"]You can't universally stop it though because sites are always looking for that edge. I feel your pain and you are dead on with your rant.[/quoted98578c923]

OK and let me start by saying that I love ZPT...BUT, how come networks like Trainn/Free4me/123 can get away with it? They seem to be doing just fine without offering free greens?

bruman

01-03-2008 15:42:10

[quote296f890361="KT412"][quote296f890361="JKirk"]You can't universally stop it though because sites are always looking for that edge. I feel your pain and you are dead on with your rant.[/quote296f890361]

OK and let me start by saying that I love ZPT...BUT, how come networks like Trainn/Free4me/123 can get away with it? They seem to be doing just fine without offering free greens?[/quote296f890361]

They are established companies, they have a reputation which brings customers to them in and of itself. The new companies need to make a name for themselves and need to establish themselves from all the rest, so that's why they try and think of promotions and what not to attempt in bring in new customers.

ForceBucks

01-03-2008 17:13:09

Brumans right. Free greens are bad from established sites but for a newer network, like ForceBucks, it worked well. Our "free green week" which gave free greens to highly rated traders, gave us our base customers, who then began to offer money for their greens and so on. This is why we are growing as fast as we are. For TRAINN or another giant site, a free green give out would simply hurt anyone who is looking for folks to green for them.

JKirk

01-03-2008 20:29:54

Trainn is in a whole different league than anyone else. They are able to give out $50 per referral and that's why people keep coming to them. Their great service and reliability is just a bonus but the money is the honey that attracts all the bees.

skepticalcynic

02-03-2008 05:33:34

Doesn't TRAINN work inclusively with it's offers? Meaning - they don't use outside affiliate companies because they do it internally? I think this somewhat excludes them from conversations of general freebie sites. It is a great company, but they can offer things that no one else can.

Personally, I'm not enthused about doing TRAINN sites because it's too easy to get scammed between the time the first ref "greens" and the time the last ref "greens". Then to find out there are reds and there's nothing that can be done about it. I like the setup and design and I like greening on their sites, but...

My original point still stands, though. And, no, this is nowhere close to any sales incentives from brick-and-mortar stores. Or any regular store, for that matter, because their customers aren't trying to resale. If the big wholesale suppliers gave away products to the general consumer for less than the retail merchants were selling, all the retail merchants would be out of business before they knew what happened.

tucker1003

02-03-2008 09:21:41

To make money(gifts) on the sites you need referrals. Its that simple. I like free greens but like stated above there goes a referral for me!