Jobs and Careers

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=74118

akalic

27-02-2008 23:25:16

Hey guys,

I'm currently in my first year in the faculty of science in university, and i'm planning on applying for pharmacy or medicine sometime soon (or in the future). The way i see it, if i don't have some sort of license or stand-out profession, i won't be able to make ends meet, which i don't think is true in all facets.

Im not sure why i made this topic, one part of me made it because i know theres alot of seniors here who could shed light on my career path, and another part of me made it just to see what everyone does as a living!

puppeteer

27-02-2008 23:48:06

well I am going for nursing and hopefully to get in the program

but I have known and heard alot of ppl making enough money and satisfied as Surgical Techs, they prepare, clean surgical tools, mostly dirty job

These are certified or license programs, about several months and youre done... like i said theyre pretty happy with their job and make enough money

you should look into caregiver to help you while youre in school

dmorris68

28-02-2008 06:16:29

Don't chase a salary, do something you enjoy. If you enjoy it, you're more likely to excel at it, and when you excel at almost any career, the money will follow -- at least enough money to be comfortable. There is no amount of money that will make you happy if you're absolutely miserable going to work every day, which will ultimately show up in your work performance, thus threatening the salary you crave. It's not worth it.

Almost no career, not even doctors, make a hefty salary immediately out of school. In fact residents are some of the lowest paid professional people when you factor in their work hours.

Choose a career you enjoy, then bust your ass at it and pay your dues for a few years. Time will go by much faster than when you're miserable, and before you know it the money will find you.

ffactoryxx

28-02-2008 06:47:46

[quote9f0540aa35="dmorris68"]Don't chase a salary, do something you enjoy. If you enjoy it, you're more likely to excel at it, and when you excel at almost any career, the money will follow -- at least enough money to be comfortable. There is no amount of money that will make you happy if you're absolutely miserable going to work every day, which will ultimately show up in your work performance, thus threatening the salary you crave. It's not worth it.

Almost no career, not even doctors, make a hefty salary immediately out of school. In fact residents are some of the lowest paid professional people when you factor in their work hours.

Choose a career you enjoy, then bust your ass at it and pay your dues for a few years. Time will go by much faster than when you're miserable, and before you know it the money will find you.[/quote9f0540aa35]

In fact Dr's don't make as much money as you think anymore until their practices get huge and that takes years. Malpractice and Liability insurance is a bitch. Also if your thinking about becoming a Pharmacist, you better think long and hard about it. The costs for Pharma school are astronomical and you better be prepared to pay back that hefty sum before you start making $.

Also I agree on choosing a career you enjoy. Don't let money pull the blinders over your eye's and don't bullshit yourself into thinking if you stick with it, it might get better. Most times it doesn't and to many people get caught up in the system and can't get out. It will slowly drain you. If you do something you love, you will work 10x harder, and strive to achieve. You will also be at peace with yourself and enjoy life a lot more.

TryinToGetPaid

28-02-2008 06:55:41

Again, do something you enjoy. I work with ex-nurses and office staff members daily who are now on the technical side of the hospital, testing monitor flow to our EMR, adding new ventilators and monitors, setting up image servers for x-rays, the list goes on and on -- so if you like computers and nursing there is hundreds of jobs available to you in the hospital, that are not on the floors.

hehehhehe

28-02-2008 10:12:30

Ditto on trying to find something you like instead of chasing the money.

I briefly met a canadian traveling in Vegas a few years back who worked in a pharmacy (in canada) and the job seemed pretty cool (not too crazy, good time off, etc..). I don't remember specific details though. As with any job, it'd be a good idea to talk to people in the profession you're interested in.