Reducing your credit card interest rate...

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=74099

supersponger1979

27-02-2008 08:12:21

I was reading some interesting articles through Google and had great luck reducing mine. I was paying an APR of 12%, which is already low but I got it dropped to 9% APR. All I did was call and say I saw another card with zero balance transfer fee and 0% APR for 12 months. Once they heard I was thinking about closing my account, they were happy to lower my rate to keep my business. Give it a shot and post here how it goes...Good luck!

If you need help on what exactly to ask, punch in lower credit card interest into Google...

dmorris68

27-02-2008 10:24:42

Yes, this is something most anyone can do as long as they've paid on time and have a good credit history elsewhere. I've done it several times over the years with various accounts. I've only had a couple of times where they were stubborn about it, so I had to follow through on my threat to leave them. One had actually just raised my rate, and when I called they gave me attitude, so I immediately closed the account. A day or two later I got a call from somebody who claimed to be a V.P. (but you know how banks are, even the cleaning crew has a VP) who apologized profusely and said he would reset my rate to the lower rate. I said "no thanks" and left anyway.

You have a lot of leverage to work with your credit card company as long as you're a good, established customer.

CC19626

28-02-2008 14:42:43

My husband and I have both tried it an none of our cc's would do it for us, and we have really good credit and ALWAYS pay on time.

slambam

28-02-2008 16:02:05

Which company did this work for with you super?

supersponger1979

28-02-2008 16:47:22

I have USAA Mastercard...Also, do you guys have a large balance on your cards? I think if you did and then brought up you wanted to switch to a 0% APR card they might be more willing to help? Not sure...At first they said "no, 12% is the lowest on that card." When I said I was going to transfer my balance, they said "ok, 9%"

KeithA

07-03-2008 07:16:45

Not directly relevant, but I thought I'd share that I increased my line of credit yesterday. Just logged into my bank's online service, entered my annual salary, and bam--70% increase with no hard pull on my credit.

I'll be traveling more over the next year, so I figured I could use a little bigger line. Plus, when I'm not using it, my credit utilization ratio will improve. Food for thought if you haven't asked for a CLI (credit line increase) in a while. Personally, I had never requested one.

LLee93

07-03-2008 10:47:52

I tried that & they didn't budge. That's ok though. I have a card with 7.99% fixed for life. That's the one I use for everything.

dmorris68

07-03-2008 11:32:10

[quoteeedaa9136e="LLee93"]I have a card with 7.99% fixed for life. That's the one I use for everything.[/quoteeedaa9136e]
Until they change their terms. )

I have one that was 5.9% "for liife" when I got it. What they mean is, the "life" of the terms. In the small print they tell you that they can change their terms at any time. So after about 6-7 years at 5.9%, they let me know that the terms were changing to 9.9% if I wanted to continue using the account. I could keep the 5.9% only if I closed the account to further purchases. This was back when interest rates were on the rise again, so it was still as cheap or cheaper than other cards I had, so I kept it open. And it's still lower than anything they currently offer to new accounts. But it still pissed me off.

As far as credit line increases, I don't think I've ever asked for one on a major CC. They just give 'em to me automatically every so often.

LLee93

07-03-2008 11:39:10

[quote23462902d3="dmorris68"][quote23462902d3="LLee93"]I have a card with 7.99% fixed for life. That's the one I use for everything.[/quote23462902d3]
Until they change their terms. )

I have one that was 5.9% "for liife" when I got it. What they mean is, the "life" of the terms. In the small print they tell you that they can change their terms at any time. So after about 6-7 years at 5.9%, they let me know that the terms were changing to 9.9% if I wanted to continue using the account. I could keep the 5.9% only if I closed the account to further purchases. This was back when interest rates were on the rise again, so it was still as cheap or cheaper than other cards I had, so I kept it open. And it's still lower than anything they currently offer to new accounts. But it still pissed me off.

As far as credit line increases, I don't think I've ever asked for one on a major CC. They just give 'em to me automatically every so often.[/quote23462902d3]

I'm at about 4 years now with that, so I guess I'll see. If they raise it, I'll just close it.