Thanks for the Improvements eBay!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=74016

doylnea

23-02-2008 20:25:24

So I'm looking for a new car, and I head over to eBay type in "2006 Honda Accord," click the drop down to sort by "highest price+shipping", since clearly 99% of the the things listed on eBay are parts. Lo and behold, the "new and improved" eBay sort function, which ranks listings by seller feedback (before doing any other sorting) puts the cars on the fourth fricking page.

Thanks for the improvements eBay.

EatChex89

23-02-2008 20:32:06

That's why you are supposed to press "Cars & Trucks" on the left under the categories.

J4320

23-02-2008 23:04:58

doylnea had a noobeeee moment.

doylnea

23-02-2008 23:34:58

Well it didn't used to be that way. I guess, after 8 years on eBay, you could call it a senior moment.

mnx12

23-02-2008 23:56:51

I thought this was going to be about the new feedback system...

ilanbg

24-02-2008 10:19:30

[quote8c5c1403cb="doylnea"]Well it didn't used to be that way. I guess, after 8 years on eBay, you could call it a senior moment.[/quote8c5c1403cb]

In my day, that dang eBay knew how to list its cars!

Kids these days and their damn categories... keep of my lawn!

TravMan162

24-02-2008 11:20:43

I heard something about not being able to give buyers negative feeback now? Is this true?

I sell crap on there all the time and now I can't give idiots negative feedback?

Is this some kind of sick joke?

hehehhehe

24-02-2008 12:14:14

Sellers can't leave neutral or negative feedback for buyers under the new rules.

I've never had to leave a negative review for a buyer but now I'm wary of having to deal with buyers that are going to make unreasonable demands. Now that they have no fear of being called out, some will do whatever they want. I'll probably avoid selling on ebay now if I can, but I guess ebay must have data showing that this is better for them somehow (they want to attract more buyers with this obviously).

doylnea

24-02-2008 13:13:55

See, but the buyers don't make them any money, it's the sellers. In fact, if you're promoting eBay via Rover, the buyers cost them money. The only sellers who see benefit from these changes are high-volume, high-dollar sellers. Of course, since there isn't a viable alternative to eBay, they get to do what they want.

Given that I'm neither, I've just unloaded all of the things I had sitting around my home onto to EBay so I could get some money of them. I'll likely convert to being a buyer from now on.

TravMan162

24-02-2008 15:16:21

Gotta love that immunity. So basically, I'm selling a bunch of crap on eBay, now if some jackass decides he doesn't want to pay me until three weeks later and he decides he'd like to send a money order when I specifically only accept paypal, I can't leave him negative feedback?

Isn't this a bit ridiculous? I guess this isn't the place to rant about eBay cuz it's not like anyone can do anything about it here, but I sell a fair amount of things, nothing crazy, but here and there, and it's a little disconcerting to know that I am completely at the mercy of the some of these idiots that want to buy my stuff................. Lovely.

) ) )

hehehhehe

24-02-2008 15:24:23

[quote466dcde459="doylnea"]See, but the buyers don't make them any money, it's the sellers. In fact, if you're promoting eBay via Rover, the buyers cost them money. The only sellers who see benefit from these changes are high-volume, high-dollar sellers. Of course, since there isn't a viable alternative to eBay, they get to do what they want.
[/quote466dcde459]
Yeah it'll be interesting to see their how their financial results change with this, because more buyers still equals more sales, and more Final Value Fees (which they're increasing now), not to mention the increased volume of paypal fees they get too.

I dig the Detailed Seller Ratings though, although it's not new new.

When I sell, what I might do is monitor the bidders and cancel bids from likely troublemakers. I'll make sure to reserve that right by describing it in my listings. Might get a lower price but I don't care.

TravMan162

24-02-2008 15:47:32

[quotef638017afc="hehehhehe"]When I sell, what I might do is monitor the bidders and cancel bids from likely troublemakers. I'll make sure to reserve that right by describing it in my listings. Might get a lower price but I don't care.[/quotef638017afc]

You should do this. You are a Despot and all right? eng101

Seriously though, how are we supposed to protect ourselves without losing bidders???

Ah, I'll quit complaining about it here, it's hard though cuz that actually affects me hahaha.