Cancun or Paris and Rome?[EDIT: CANCUN SpringBreak '08!!!]

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=73228

Iloveipods2

24-01-2008 22:34:40

lilililililililililililiEDITlililililililililililililili

I chose Cancun with another buddy(or two)

some of my friends are still doing the Paris/Rome combo though.

Any Cancun suggestions? I'm buying this party pack that includes ridiculous partying every night of the week and celebrity hosts at each one. and... open bar....... and pregame parties beforehand.....

under $1500 for hotel(9 days, 8 nights)+flight+ above sound good?

lilililililililililili END EDITlilililililililililili

Spring Break '08
Prices are pretty cheap for both right now[must buy soon though!]

I know there are people out there who have been to the above mentioned places. Which would you suggest and why?

Paris
http/" alt=""/img245.imageshack.us/img="245/8008/parissusanow7pz7.jpg[" alt=""/imge8e471fbd4]

Rome
[img="e8e471fbd4]http/" alt=""/img143.imageshack.us/img="143/1403/italiangirlswx0.jpg[" alt=""/imge8e471fbd4]

Cancun

[img="e8e471fbd4]http/" alt=""/img81.imageshack.us/img="81/7237/missuniverse3gallery470kc7.jpg[" alt=""/imge8e471fbd4]

guelah75

24-01-2008 22:51:48

hands down, Paris and Rome

J4320

24-01-2008 23:01:33

[quote9d9ac145a9="guelah75"]hands down, Paris and Rome[/quote9d9ac145a9]

Agreed. You probably won't get as tan though. o

I always take that into consideration now because I haven't been getting much sun here in Washington. Not much sun = unhealthy. But yeah, if I had a decision between Cancun or Paris I'd do Paris just because... well... it's Paris.

bruman

24-01-2008 23:04:34

How much are you paying for tickets/the trip?

condra

25-01-2008 00:14:47

Paris and Rome just for Rome ) plus you'll get double the nb of girls if you go to both places according to your pics wink

tylerc

25-01-2008 06:31:17

If you're big into drinking, Cancun.

good2speed

25-01-2008 08:04:38

if money is of concern go to Cancun. The Euro will kill your budget. If this is just spring break Id suggest Cancun as you will likely be partying with other college students on a budget. I'd save Paris/Rome for when your older.

Also if you do Cancun the hotels there are all inclusive. That means that for a small additonal fee you will be able to drink and eat all you want at the hotel of your choice.

IMHO your dollar will go a lot further in Cancun. IF you choose Paris/Rome you may regret it later when you have to adhere to a very strict budget.

Also what would you do in Paris. Sight see? Save that for later on in life. Take a girlfriend or wife when you get older. They love those trips to Paris. If you are young, single, and want to party Cancun is the place for you.

phriq

25-01-2008 08:05:32

I would no doubt go to paris and rome over cancun. even if you are big into drinking. excellent food, great sites, excellent drinks as well. Cancun seems so 'normal' where Paris and Rome are a little more unique.

good2speed

25-01-2008 08:32:55

[quote809b716168="phriq"]I would no doubt go to paris and rome over cancun. even if you are big into drinking. excellent food, great sites, excellent drinks as well. Cancun seems so 'normal' where Paris and Rome are a little more unique.[/quote809b716168]

Cancun is far from normal.

http//www.traveltsthotelguide.ca/images/cancun.jpg[" alt=""/img809b716168]

Any place that has white sand is far from normal.

[img="809b716168]http//www.threebestbeaches.com/northamerica/mexico/cancun/uploaded_images/tbb-cancun08-798614.jpg[" alt=""/img809b716168]

View of the street where all partying happens. Traveling is a non issue since all locations are nearby. You won't travel more then 10 min away from your hotel at any point of your trip.

If you go to Paris/Rome. Good luck with traveling within the city. You'll have ulcers trying to understand French/Italian if you don't know the languages already. I've also heard of Parisian taxi's that will drive tourists in circles just to bump their fare.

Don't underestimate the decline of the dollar in relation to the Euro. I myself found Paris expensive seven years back, even at a time when the dollar was still relatively healthy.

If you have the money do what you want. If budgeting the dollar will go a lot further south of the border.

manOFice

25-01-2008 09:13:48

paris or rome, probably rome

hehehhehe

25-01-2008 12:20:20

If you just want to lay on the beach surrounded by other Americans, pig out on the all inclusive food/drinks, and then go out drinking at night with other Americans in bars/clubs catered to Americans, by all means go to Cancun... or just stay in the US for that matter.

If you want a cultural experience which will expand your mind a little bit, go to Paris/Rome. See what it feels like to deal with foreigners on their land (Cancun doesn't really count lol). Getting out in the world will prevent you from becoming an ignorant #$&! in the future.

To make do with the weak dollar in Europe, stay in youth hostels and eat baguettes with some meat you buy at the supermarket. You'll meet a lot of travelers from all over the world in these hostels and the sandwiches will probably be better than the crap we eat most of the time anyway.

manOFice

25-01-2008 12:32:43

[quote94e454eaad="hehehhehe"][b94e454eaad]If you just want to lay on the beach surrounded by other Americans, pig out on the all inclusive food/drinks, and then go out drinking at night with other Americans in bars/clubs catered to A[/b94e454eaad]mericans, by all means go to Cancun... or just stay in the US for that matter.

If you want a cultural experience which will expand your mind a little bit, go to Paris/Rome. See what it feels like to deal with foreigners on their land (Cancun doesn't really count lol). Getting out in the world will prevent you from becoming an ignorant #$&! in the future.

To make do with the weak dollar in Europe, stay in youth hostels and eat baguettes with some meat you buy at the supermarket. You'll meet a lot of travelers from all over the world in these hostels and the sandwiches will probably be better than the crap we eat most of the time anyway.[/quote94e454eaad]

man i know what i'm doing tonight lol lol

kelbypayday

25-01-2008 12:37:01

For Spring break...Id def say Cancun. Get the all inclusive deal as mentioned above and party the night away.

I went there for senior week when i graduated High school and it was pretty kick ass. Sun, beach, girls, parties, trips. You can do almost anything there.

When I went I got the all inclusive to an island called isle mujeares(SP?). You ride on a ship to an island where they treat you with food/drinks and swim with the dolphins, 4 wheeler tours. Pretty much anything. Good for all day.

You could also go to Xel-Ha by bus(included in the trip) and you can go snorkeling, scuba diving, jet skiing, parasailing, hiking. And again, food and drinks all inclusive.

And of course, party your ass off at night. Its great and you can still get a cultural experience down there too. A lot of americans, but also a lot of people from other countries too. Tell us wht you pick

puppeteer

25-01-2008 12:50:01

by the pics you posted... id say go to Cancun )

Iloveipods2

25-01-2008 12:55:56

yeah, I'm currently leaning towards Paris/Rome right now hoping that the dollar will raise at least a few cents by then.

It really is a battle of Wild WILD WILD all inclusive Debauchery vs. going across the pond to two different places that most people never get to go.

The thing is, the Cancun package also includes concerts(50 cent, paris hilton, etc etc) while in Paris and Rome we can't just walk around assuming everyone speaks English. Plus, everyone seems to go to Cancun for SB but very few get to experience Paris and Roma......

...... But at the same time Cancun means hot girls prancing around in bikinis all day(from my understanding).

I really do need true insight from people who have gone to either of these places. Is Cancun really as wild as people say? Are Paris and Rome as eye-opening and inspiring as people say?

KeithA

25-01-2008 13:59:00

Both Paris and Rome are beautiful. Both cities have abundant cultural attractions, and the nightlife is great.

If you end up taking that route, remind us. I can give you some pointers about Paris.

hehehhehe

25-01-2008 14:01:26

[quote4f2e3a9b38="Iloveipods2"]The thing is, the Cancun package also includes concerts(50 cent, paris hilton, etc etc)[/quote4f2e3a9b38]
Those would be reasons not to go to Cancun.

I've been to all these places but these choices aren't all that comparable, you just have to decide based on what you want to do. If you want to party, go to cancun. If you want to really travel, go to europe.

manOFice

25-01-2008 14:02:09

i'm willing to bet there is some great night life in paris

Twon

25-01-2008 15:15:55

If you just want to go on spring break to drink and screw then goto Cancun. If you like traveling and want to see some cool shit and experience some different culture, then goto Paris/Rome.

puppeteer

25-01-2008 16:15:41

[quotee464863606="Iloveipods2"]yeah, I'm currently leaning towards Paris/Rome right now hoping that the dollar will raise at least a few cents by then.

It really is a battle of Wild WILD WILD all inclusive Debauchery vs. going across the pond to two different places that most people never get to go.

The thing is, the Cancun package also includes concerts(50 cent, paris hilton, etc etc) while in Paris and Rome we can't just walk around assuming everyone speaks English. Plus, everyone seems to go to Cancun for SB but very few get to experience Paris and Roma......

[be464863606]...... But at the same time Cancun means hot girls prancing around in bikinis all day(from my understanding).[/be464863606]

I really do need true insight from people who have gone to either of these places. Is Cancun really as wild as people say? Are Paris and Rome as eye-opening and inspiring as people say?[/quotee464863606]

hehehe thats my boy!

jy3

25-01-2008 18:43:25

havent been to Europe but I really think that fo Cancun you can have two types of trips
1. if you like to party all spring break than you can do it all in a small area of Cancun. the beach is there as well
2. if you want to have a cooler spring break with friends hanging out and still party but just with each other you can go south of cancun. akumal mexico has a bunch of mansions and condos for rent. you can rent a full house for like 1600 a week. There is a small bar near but most of the partying would be on the beach/at your place/pool. Also if you want to see the sights like chichen itza, coba, tulum then akumal would be a great option. rent a van for you and your friends.
pm me with questions if you want

http//www.akumal-villas.com/?gclid=CLrYldfwkpECFQZqIgoddi6qGg

h3x

25-01-2008 22:26:32

There is a sex orgy nightclub in Paris... Hot girls that could be models go there...

Its Paris hands down...

good2speed

26-01-2008 07:34:46

[quote731cf9b2cb="Iloveipods2"]yeah, I'm currently leaning towards Paris/Rome right now hoping that the dollar will raise at least a few cents by then.[/quote731cf9b2cb]

the dollar is not going to rise.

[quote731cf9b2cb="Iloveipods2"]It really is a battle of Wild WILD WILD all inclusive Debauchery vs. going across the pond to two different places that most people never get to go. [/quote731cf9b2cb]

Many people do end up in Paris/Rome later in life. Remember you are probably under 25 so this is not the end of your life. You will have other opportunities to travel.

[quote731cf9b2cb="Iloveipods2"]
The thing is, the Cancun package also includes concerts(50 cent, paris hilton, etc etc) while in Paris and Rome we can't just walk around assuming everyone speaks English. Plus, everyone seems to go to Cancun for SB but very few get to experience Paris and Roma......[/quote731cf9b2cb]

The reasons people choose Cancun over a trip to Europe are
1) proximity
2) value
3) comfort level(Cancun caters to Americans)
4) beaches/white sand/tanning
5) party atmosphere

Like I said earlier you are probably 18-22 years old. Right now in your life Cancun is the place for you. This is the perfect opportunity for you to do your Cancun thing. Once you get past 25 Cancun isn't such a great vacation destination. I personally at my age of life would have a seizure hanging out with that many drunk college kids at one time. Im sure at your age however you are conditioned to that environment and would actually enjoy it.

Europe can wait. You are young and will have many other chances at exploring the world.

[quote731cf9b2cb="Iloveipods2"]...... But at the same time Cancun means hot girls prancing around in bikinis all day(from my understanding).[/quote731cf9b2cb]

absolutely. pool parties all day. Las VEgas day time pool parties have nothing on Cancun day time pool parties.

[quote731cf9b2cb="Iloveipods2"]
I really do need true insight from people who have gone to either of these places. Is Cancun really as wild as people say? Are Paris and Rome as eye-opening and inspiring as people say?[/quote731cf9b2cb]

Cancun is one of the wildest places on earth. I would only rate places I havent been to yet as wilder(Ibiza, Thailand, Rio,). Actually Goa in India and Capetwon, South Africa, places Ive been to, are pretty wild themselves. But thats irrelevant to this discussion.

I really don't view Europe as an eye opening experience anymore. A lot of European travel occured during the late 90's - early part of this decade. The Eurorail just opened and Americans,including myself, flocked to Europe with their strong American dollar. Going from country to country by rail really was eye opening. To actually traverse the whole of Europe by rail is memorable. You get to travel across Swiss Alps, through Germany, into IItaly, across the Riveria, into Andorra, through BArcelona, and on into the countryside of France. The stops in between also made it memorable.

In today's economy I just see Europe as a much more expensive destination. Save Paris/Rome for when your older and richer. You may even appreciate the historical landmarks more when you get older. If you miss out on Cancun now you may never want to go again in your life.

nytrate

26-01-2008 15:55:35

It all depends. Good advice on here...but Cancun is cheap and doable any time. You don't travel to see concerts! At least not American groups playing.

Cancun is just a party and beach thing...if that's what you like then go for it.

I spent a good amount of time in Europe before school started. I've been to Mexico a few times...the resort party destinations aren't for me.

Staying in european hostels with many foreign kids around your own age is just as much of a party atmosphere!!! Trust me, you'll have the time of your life.

Paris and Rome seem to be limiting your choices though. Europe IS expensive...especially Italy. I spent very little money over there and spent a looong time. Hostels + not eating out all the time, you can do it cheap enough. My biggest expense were trains.

Fly into Amsterdam. I always found cheaper flights going into A'dam...Paris is a close bus or train ride. You might save some $$ on plane fair and get to see another great city.

Personally? I'd fly into a'dam for a day or 2, go down to Paris, some other select French cities and end up in Barcelona. You'll love it.

J4320

26-01-2008 15:59:33

If I can just interject here... that girl in the Cancun pic on the left is soooooooooooooooooooooooo hot.

nytrate

26-01-2008 16:02:22

the one in the middle looks like a young Teri Hatcher -- no?

bruman

26-01-2008 16:22:47

And the one on the right kind of looks like an alien.

J4320

26-01-2008 16:35:03

[quotee81472fdc1="bruman"]And the one on the right kind of looks like an alien.[/quotee81472fdc1]

lol

She prefers the term "chupacabra."

samz465

26-01-2008 18:01:11

[quotea825b53cc5="J4320"][quotea825b53cc5="bruman"]And the one on the right kind of looks like an alien.[/quotea825b53cc5]

lol

She prefers the term "chupacabra."[/quotea825b53cc5]
Lolol.
http/" alt=""/img100.imageshack.us/img="100/9250/chupacabrabi0.gif[" alt=""/imga825b53cc5]
And I was told they don't exist...

Iloveipods2

11-02-2008 23:13:10

I chose Cancun

Any Cancun suggestions? I'm buying this party pack that includes ridiculous partying every night of the week and celebrity hosts at each one. and... open bar...

TFOAF

11-02-2008 23:38:48

Holy shit. Rome.

kelbypayday

12-02-2008 08:01:55

Well when I was down there I had the part pack like you had so Im going mention some other trips you could take that are pretty awesome.

Isle Mujeares(SP?) is a boat trip from cancun to an island maybe a half mile off shore. Its an all day trip with any drink you want all inclusive on the boat with a band. On the Island food and drink is again all inclusive and you can go scuba diving, play volleyball, swimming. Then you stop at a small town to go shopping for a little bit. Its a good cultural experience.

Then on a Tuesday nigt go to the Fat Tuesday bar and get ready for one helluva party. Girls EVERYWHERE haha. This was probably my favorite bar down there. I wont spoil it for ya but ill tell ya you wont regret going there.

Another place is called Xel-Ha. You will take a bus there with a tour group and the whole place is like a park with a river that empties into the ocean. Really good snorkeling here with a huge variety of fish and clear water. Also good hiking trails and a cliff diving place. Many caves to swim around in also.

Those are my top three things to do down there but of course with hitting as many bars as I could at night. There are also jet skiing, ocean kayaking, 4-wheel tours, Cozumel, and im not sure how into fishing you are during spring break but deep sea fishing is only a $1oo bucks. O and another tip...Always try to negotiate a lower price with the locals. Everything I bought I got it for $10-$15 cheaper than their asking price.

Post some pictures and have a great time man.

manOFice

12-02-2008 08:09:28

[quotebe5863e2a5="Iloveipods2"]I chose Cancun

Any Cancun suggestions? I'm buying this party pack that includes ridiculous partying every night of the week and celebrity hosts at each one. and... open bar...[/quotebe5863e2a5]

oh you are going to have fun

zdub08

12-02-2008 12:57:18

boooo

TravMan162

12-02-2008 14:09:50

Jesus if you're just looking for, as one person put it, "to get drunk and screw"

Just go to Asia. Man Asian chicks are so hot haha

I think Cancun is a waste of time. Great. You can party. But yes, it's all Americans. You can do that at your college. If I had to pick between these two trips it would hands down be the Europe trip.

I'm sure you can party at night there too, it may just not be strippers in the street tossing beads around, and you get the cultural experience too. F Cancun.

Plus there's that sex orgy someone was talking about if you're into that stuff. Personally I think if you're into that, you're kind of a weirdo, but that's just me.

tylerc

12-02-2008 14:30:50

[quotea243a923f0="TravMan162"]Plus there's that sex orgy someone was talking about if you're into that stuff. Personally I think if you're into that, you're kind of a weirdo, but that's just me.[/quotea243a923f0]

Of course it's just you, you said "Personally I think if you're into that, you're kind of a weirdo." How about focusing on writing correctly instead of judging others? That would be a more productive use of your time.

maksmom

13-02-2008 15:20:53

I went to Cancun for SB my junior year of college. It was a long, long time ago and wish I could give you some good pointers, but here's what I remember "Margarita? Si, gracias", then my memory kinda goes blank from there...seem to remember some beaches...there may have been a bikini contest or two...I think I had a lot of fun... wink

egyptianruin

14-02-2008 06:31:36

Paris and Rome - I would choose Europe anytime. My first pick would be Japan though - that would be a blast.

Iloveipods2

17-02-2008 21:44:32

For those of you that have been to Cancun with the whole "wild party" mentality..... what was your typical day like?

What did you do during the day?

good2speed

18-02-2008 12:37:33

[quotea1f3795c8d="Iloveipods2"]

Any Cancun suggestions? I'm buying this party pack that includes ridiculous partying every night of the week and celebrity hosts at each one. and... open bar....... and pregame parties beforehand.....

under $1500 for hotel(9 days, 8 nights)+flight+ above sound good?
[/quotea1f3795c8d]

wow with 9 days Cancun maybe way over the top. I assumed you would probably max out at 5- 6 days for your trip. If you have 9 days maybe Paris/Rome isn't that bad of an idea. I don't know your endurance level when it comes to partying but I personally would be shot after day 5 in Cancun. Even at age 20, I'm sure I'd be cringing after day 7. The level of partying is insane. If you are booked into Cancun I'd recommend pacing yourself through the trip since you have 9 days. I managed to get wasted within hours of arriving and only sobered up on the plane back(4days).

As for the celebrity showings..uggh. I know these particular celebs have massive security detail in the states. i wouldnt want to imagine what their security is like across the border. The shows may be cool though.

[quotea1f3795c8d="Iloveipods2"]For those of you that have been to Cancun with the whole "wild party" mentality..... what was your typical day like?

What did you do during the day?[/quotea1f3795c8d]

arrived. Got to hotel. Instantly called room service to send some light dinner, coronas and multiple shots of tequila(pregame). After all it was all inclusive so we splurged a little. Went to couple of bars. Partied the night. Got up around noonish. Spent about an hour recovering. Went down to pool. Hung out there ordering some drinks trying to recuperate. Talk to some girls just and just chilled I guess till night time. Probably got some all inclusive lunch as well in between. Probably mixed in some beach ativities.

Waited for sunset to repeat above. Included some Mayan site seeing on one of the days to mix things up.

Iloveipods2

19-02-2008 20:21:56

Any tips on what to do during the day?

I've heard

Isla Mujeres
Aztec Ruins

I'M SO EXCITE!!!
http/" alt=""/img177.imageshack.us/img="177/8639/boratswimsuitcannestn2.jpg[" alt=""/img99edb58c67]

good2speed

20-02-2008 11:49:39

knockyourself out with some reading

http//www.docancun.com/cancun-activities.htm