Changing an iPod Battery

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=73055

EatChex89

18-01-2008 21:17:43

So I just finished changing my battery for my photo ipod.. and let me tell you, the videos make it seem ALOT easier than it is. Took about 30mins just to open the case, and then another 30 to move the HDD and pull the old battery out. Since the battery was stuck with adhesive, I pulled the cables off first and then I ended up breaking a little of my case and FINALLY I pulled it out.

Blargh. Never want to do that again, although it was easier to pay $20 than $70+ s/h for Apple to do it...

mistertomlinson

19-01-2008 16:31:46

I know exactly what you mean. I replaced the battery in a video iPod I owned about a year ago. It was such a bitch. By the time I finally got the case open, the prying tool was completely stripped and blunt and I ended up using a butter knife to get it open. I've heard of people breaking their iPods replacing the battery and I completely understand how that could happen.

EatChex89

19-01-2008 21:43:33

[quotef022ed878e="mistertomlinson"]I know exactly what you mean. I replaced the battery in a video iPod I owned about a year ago. It was such a bitch. By the time I finally got the case open, the prying tool was completely stripped and blunt and I ended up using a butter knife to get it open. I've heard of people breaking their iPods replacing the battery and I completely understand how that could happen.[/quotef022ed878e]

yea that blue tool was a piece of shit, i used a tiny screwdriver to get mine open.

doylnea

20-01-2008 06:53:20

I'll be replacing the battery on my SO's mini. Hope it goes better than your experiences.

Jams44

20-01-2008 20:41:26

haha. You guys crack me up. Taking apart and repairing any iPod coils possibly be the easiest electronic repair ever. I fix iPods for people at my school and can now do something like a screen replacement in under 4 minutes. Use the tool they give you, its invented for that purpose so I could only imagine it would be useful. You guys crack me up lol.

J4320

20-01-2008 20:51:45

ooooooooo jams44 so much cooler than u

JOSHBOX

20-01-2008 20:51:48

[quote2e4d6168db="Jams44"]haha. You guys crack me up. Taking apart and repairing any iPod coils possibly be the easiest electronic repair ever. I fix iPods for people at my school and can now do something like a screen replacement in under 4 minutes. Use the tool they give you, its invented for that purpose so I could only imagine it would be useful. You guys crack me up lol.[/quote2e4d6168db]

You werent always a pro at this, im sure your first ipod repair was difficult for you too. Stop putting people down and try being constructive. Dick...

EatChex89

20-01-2008 21:28:12

[quote6e663be28f="Jams44"]haha. You guys crack me up. Taking apart and repairing any iPod coils possibly be the easiest electronic repair ever. I fix iPods for people at my school and can now do something like a screen replacement in under 4 minutes. Use the tool they give you, its invented for that purpose so I could only imagine it would be useful. You guys crack me up lol.[/quote6e663be28f]

The tool they give is a piece of flimsy plastic that bent immediately when I tried to use it. As stated I ended up getting it open with a tiny screwdriver.
Even the t6 torx screwdriver seemed a little big for the screws..

Jams44

20-01-2008 21:45:15

[quote9d6679d7b0="JOSHBOX"][quote9d6679d7b0="Jams44"]haha. You guys crack me up. Taking apart and repairing any iPod coils possibly be the easiest electronic repair ever. I fix iPods for people at my school and can now do something like a screen replacement in under 4 minutes. Use the tool they give you, its invented for that purpose so I could only imagine it would be useful. You guys crack me up lol.[/quote9d6679d7b0]

You werent always a pro at this, im sure your first iPod repair was difficult for you too. Stop putting people down and try being constructive. Dick...[/quote9d6679d7b0]

To be honest, no I was never "bad" at it. I wasn't being a dick, I was amused at the dismay. And be constructive? I suggested using the tool they gave him, regardless of how flimsy it may look, proper use of it solves the problem. EVERY TIME. So unless you have any clue on who/what you are objecting to and calling a dick, think of how much of a dick you sound like. This is the internet, start fights in real life. jeez.

[quote9d6679d7b0="EatChex89"]The tool they give is a piece of flimsy plastic that bent immediately when I tried to use it. As stated I ended up getting it open with a tiny screwdriver.
Even the t6 torx screwdriver seemed a little big for the screws..[/quote9d6679d7b0]

If you have a torx set try just going through all of them to see which fits comfortably. At one point in time I have used T4-6 on the same iPods so its pretty strange. If you plan on doing it again, get a torx set for easier unscrewing.