MacWorld 2008

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=72898

JKirk

13-01-2008 09:44:23

MacWorld 2008 is coming up in 1 day, 20 hours, 15 min, 13 sec and I'm pumped to see what they have in store. If you've been following any type of rumor site, there's a bunch of rumors circulating. I hope they release a Macbook Pro. There's rumors that they are announcing something called a Macbook Air with some crazy features such as wireless USB and induction charging which I think is a little silly but we'll see. What are your predictions?

My 2 picks

Cinema displays
MacBook Pro

samz465

13-01-2008 10:06:22

Heh, you always start the Macworld posts...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a new MacBook Pro. I really want a new laptop and would like to see what they're coming out with.

Requiem

13-01-2008 12:11:06

Same here. A new MacBook Pro would be awesome. On the minor scale of things, I'm expecting the long awaited iPhone update to come out after MacWorld.

doylnea

14-01-2008 12:59:05

http//www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/12251/13275/Steve-jobs-keynote-speech-leaked.phtml
[quote041cc5dc89]
Macworld2008 Steve Jobs keynote speech leaked?
Apple CEO's stage notes appear on Wikipedia
by Amy-Mae Elliott

4 January 2008 1641 GMT - We're used to seeing the online tech world go crazy with rumours and speculation in the days before Macworld, but this year a new element has been introduced to the mix.

Steve Jobs' keynote speech, that he is due to make on stage at the Moscone Centre in San Francicso on Tuesday 15th January, has apparently been leaked via Wikipedia.

With highlights including a 16GB iPhone, details of the SDK for the device, a 13-inch 0.8-inch thick redesigned MacBook and direct YouTube for Apple TV, it would not be a dull keynote if it's all true.

In its entirety, if the sources are to be believed, here is what Monsieur Jobs is to cover during tomorrow's time on stage

MacWorld January 2008 Keynote
Rough Outline; draft 5

Greetings! Welcome to Moscone Center
Quick Overview iPod/iTunes
- iPod has been extremely profitable for us this holiday season
- Sales figures, market share
- Our new models are doing better than ever
- 3 iPod games released last month accidentally (supposed to be for today)
- Another new game today Chess
- iTunes doing extremely well (sales figures/market share)
- Today 30 indie labels releasing their entire catalogs in iTunes Plus
- Many more to follow in the next few months

iPhone
- Best iPod ever
- Sales figures, market share
- Sales beyond our wildest dreams
- Much more than the 1% market share we asked for in January
- Starting today 8GB $399, 16GB $499
- Four times the memory as original iPhone for the same price
- iPhone is coming to Japan in March with NTT DoCoMo
- SDK is unveiled!

iPhone/iPod Touch SDK
- Apps and Widgets
- Using Cocoa with Objective-C
- Developers submit programs as source code, not executable
- Specify iPhone or both iPhone/Touch (certain features iPhone only)
- Set your own price Apps $0-$6.99, Widgets $0-$2.99
- Users buy/download in iTunes Wi-Fi Store / iTunes Store (Mac/PC)
- Automatic updating wirelessly or docked

- Demonstration of exporting from XCode 3 to iTunes Store
- Submits source code to Apple for validation (make sure that people aren't abusing the system, prevent malware and viruses)
- If using microphone or GSM, iPhone only; otherwise, available for both iPhone and iPod Touch
- Apps can be free or up to $6.99; Widgets free or up to $2.99
- Developers recieve 70% of revenue for their products
- Licensed under Apple Mobile Software License
- Can download wirelessly from iTunes Wi-Fi Store or docked to computer from iTunes Store
- Demonstration of wirelessly downloading (and running) the app submitted earlier
- Apps and widgets can be rearranged on front screen; front screen scrolls to show all apps/widgets
- Resubmit updated versions of apps; when added to store, iPhone/Touch will ask you to update it next time you use it (or next time you dock the iPhone/Touch)
- Developers can get their hands on a beta version of the SDK tomorrow on ADC and start developing; final version due early February
- iTunes 7.6 and iPhone/iPod Touch Software update 1.3 allowing for Apps mid-February

Example apps/widgets
Apps
- iChat (coming with 1.3 update) (AIM, Jabber/Google Talk)
-- Quick demonstration
- RSS Feed Reader (coming with 1.3 update) (read feeds online or off)
- One of our partners made something cool Last.fm (scrobble tracks played on iPhone/touch wirelessly without syncing w/ computer)
Widgets
- Dictionary (coming with 1.3 update) (quickly look up words, translate, use wikipedia)
-- Quick demonstration
- Yellow/White Book (coming with 1.3 update) (search for contacts, add them to your address book directly from the app, will sync back with address book on your Mac/PC)
- Sports Ticker (coming with 1.3 update) (choose your sports and teams, get updates on their progress)
- Another partner Twitter (update your Twitter on the fly, see your friends tweets)
- Try these out on the show floor today

Mac
- Sales are getting better and better every day
- Hardware sales figures/market share
- Leopard released October; doing spectacularly
- Sales figures/market share
- Selling extremely well; estimated to overtake Tiger in terms of marketshare by June if you only count the new Macs that come with it preinstalled; even quicker if you include boxed copies
- 10.5.2 out today - many bug fixes, also addressing a lot of issues and complaints users had such as list view with stacks and certain HIG non-compliance issues

New MacBooks!
- What would MacWorld be without a new Mac? (sorry about last year)
- Completely redesigned MacBook
- Completely aluminum body like MacBook Pro
- 13" screen at 1440x900
- Two colors Black and Silver
- Looks gorgeous at 0.8" thin
- A major feat of engineering - patents abound
- DVD drive pops open on side when eject button is pressed
- New on all notebooks and iMac iSight HD (720p)
- New backlit keyboard based on recent Apple Keyboard revisions (keys slightly lighter than that of laptop casing, colorwise)
- New matching MagSafe cable (Aluminum ends, cord color matches that of keyboard)
- New matching Apple Remote (slightly smaller with larger overall buttons)
- Intel GMA X3100 graphics
- 3 models
- Completely phasing out the combo drive on all product lines today
- BTO models can upgrade all the way to 2.6GHz/4GB Memory/320GB hard drive
- 4.5 hours of battery life
- Starting at $1199

Product Refreshes
- Refreshing Mac Pro and Mac mini today
- Mac Pro now with Penryn!
- Base model 2x2.8GHz dual-core/1GB/NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB/250GB(1x250GB)/1x16x double-layer SuperDrive
- Upgradeable to 2x3.2GHz quad-core/16GB/NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB/4TB(4x1TB)/2x16x double-layer SuperDrives
- Starting at $2,499
- Mac mini gets slight speed bumps and double-layer SuperDrive in all models
- Base model 2.0GHz IC2D/1GB/100GB
- BTO Upgradeable to 2.4GHz IC2D/4GB/320GB
- Starting at $599

One More Thing
- Been brewing for a while
- YouTube's been in Apple TV and iPhone/iPod touch now it's in iTunes
- Download YouTube videos straight to iTunes or from iPhone/iPod Touch for later offline viewing (sync back to computer)
- Coming in iTunes 7.6 and iPhone/iPod Touch 1.3 updates

Thanks for coming, and enjoy the expo!

Pocket-lint will be providing live coverage of the keynote event, so tune in at 5pm on Tuesday 15th January to find out whether this is a leak - or a fake.[/quote041cc5dc89]

TryinToGetPaid

14-01-2008 13:19:09

FUCK! I just bought my iPhone and now they have one twice as big..... DAMN YOU APPLE! DAMN YOU ALL!

(Hopes this isn't his speech)

michae229

14-01-2008 13:21:23

[quote64dde4b410="TryinToGetPaid"]FUCK! I just bought my iPhone and now they have one twice as big..... DAMN YOU APPLE! DAMN YOU ALL!

(Hopes this isn't his speech)[/quote64dde4b410]

did they do this for the touch also? ill wait till theres a 32gb there is already a 32gb pro stick duo touch will follow at least by the fall.

doylnea

14-01-2008 13:23:25

I highly doubt those are his notes; I posted them mostly for the fun of seeing what the true fans would/could want.

JKirk

14-01-2008 15:14:23

I agree, don't think those are his notes but those upgrades are very possible. I'm looking for some kind of upgrade in the laptop arena even though I'm not particularly in the market to buy a laptop. I guess that makes me a fanboy?

mistertomlinson

14-01-2008 15:34:03

You know, I had thought about starting this thread, I was so excited. I've already sold my 17" MacBook Pro on eBay and the eCheck is expected to clear tomorrow, ironically enough. I have about $2,900 total for a new MacBook Pro.

As for what they have in store, check out macrumors.com. That's where I go to get my Apple fix (self propclaimed Mac-head). The theme of the Expo this month is "There's something in the Air" and they've even put that on Apple.com. People have been saying for quite some time that they are releasing a new "ultaportable" MacBook. Since the theme was announced, people are saying it will be called the MacBook Air. If I'm not mistaken, it's going to be the smallest notebook yet. Unfortunately, there are drawbacks. No CD/DVD drive and a small flash drive (no HDD), to save on space.

I've also heard rumors of new MacBook Pros, which is what I'm hoping for. But, I've heard nothing in particular (that I would consider trustworthy) about updates to the iPhone or iPods... and somehow I doubt it.

Anyway, I can't wait till tomorrow. I've been counting down the days for a good month.

JKirk

14-01-2008 19:03:19

Haha, I knew you were around here somewhere. Here's the newest mock ups

http//blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/01/breaking-macboo.html

I really don't think those are the real pictures but I'm not looking forward to an ultra-portable Macbook unless it has everything expected of a laptop plus more. I think the small flash drive and no CD/DVD drive is stupid. A Macbook Pro is another story though, I will definitely be looking out for one!

JKirk

15-01-2008 04:24:37

It's today and I'm getting very giddy. D

sandra habina

15-01-2008 06:24:49

[quote4a69a6c594="JKirk"]It's today and I'm getting very giddy. D[/quote4a69a6c594]

[b4a69a6c594]Awesome - we will be watching. [/b4a69a6c594] wink

ps even though I do not know what half of those features are - I still would love a laptop. [/size4a69a6c594]

tjwor

15-01-2008 09:52:45

I may just be getting me a new MBP... i'd like one with much more hard drive space, cause 80 just doesn't do it at all...

mcal44

15-01-2008 10:17:42

wow the macbook air looks really sweet.

hehehhehe

15-01-2008 10:24:11

[quote04445ce835="mcal44"]wow the macbook air looks really sweet.[/quote04445ce835]
Yep. I just wonder how much it'll cost.

mcal44

15-01-2008 10:26:44

[quote5360ec8d6f="hehehhehe"][quote5360ec8d6f="mcal44"]wow the macbook air looks really sweet.[/quote5360ec8d6f]
Yep. I just wonder how much it'll cost.[/quote5360ec8d6f]

$1799 isn't bad at all.

Powerbook

15-01-2008 10:27:27

It might be good for some people, but I don't like it. I rather use my iphone when I am on the go.

EatChex89

15-01-2008 10:39:51

i want the new apple TV.. that thing looks sick

JKirk

15-01-2008 12:06:48

It looks okay but it's just not for me. I mean $1,800 is a lot of money and the weight and size factor just isn't worth it for me. Apple iTV is okay as well, but wouldn't purchase it. Mistertomlinson, what are your thoughts?

doylnea

15-01-2008 12:11:20

[quote11a9270b57="JKirk"]It looks okay but it's just not for me. I mean $1,800 is a lot of money and the weight and size factor just isn't worth it for me. [/quote11a9270b57]

Amen, I was just talking to my GF a minute ago about replacing her iBook with a MBA, not knowing the price - $1800 is absurd.

sidenote, how many refs and offers for the Nike+ package on ZPT? PM me if you want. Thanks.

hehehhehe

15-01-2008 14:22:22

Yeah, for $1800 I'd rather pay a bit more and get a MBP.

And making current touch owners pay $20 more for software that will be included for free for new touch buyers is a bag over the head, punch in the face for the early adopters.

ajasax

15-01-2008 14:51:38

...it's Apple. It's what they do best...

shortys408

15-01-2008 15:09:15

the battery can not be removed by the user, there is no ethernet, and the memory is soldered in. would not buy one of these without apple care.

EatChex89

15-01-2008 15:28:44

[quotea5483ff0b1="shortys408"]the battery can not be removed by the user, there is no ethernet, and the memory is soldered in. would not buy one of these without apple care.[/quotea5483ff0b1]

i have used the ethernet connection probably twice since I've had my ibook (had it for 2 years) so the lack of ethernet wouldn't be a problem.

Lack of an optical drive would be a problem. I love to watch DVDs on my laptop, and wouldn't want to buy a $99 optical drive extra just to watch dvds. So that's lame.. but everything else isn't bad.. one USB slot isn't enough for me tho.. even 2 isn't enough but I have an adapter.

mistertomlinson

15-01-2008 15:54:38

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan... I sold a perfectly good 17" 2.4, 2GB RAM, Hi-resolution MacBookPro for NOTHING?! The echeck should have cleared today, but could take another day or two... and for what?! No new MacBook Pros?! So, I will simply have to buy ANOTHER MacBook Pro... that's so gay! I mean, I guess I will get the 2.6 processor upgrade unlike my MBP before; Gotta get something outta this. Damnit, Apple!

JKirk

15-01-2008 15:57:00

[quote0fe31f8171="EatChex89"][quote0fe31f8171="shortys408"]the battery can not be removed by the user, there is no ethernet, and the memory is soldered in. would not buy one of these without apple care.[/quote0fe31f8171]

i have used the ethernet connection probably twice since I've had my ibook (had it for 2 years) so the lack of ethernet wouldn't be a problem.

Lack of an optical drive would be a problem. I love to watch DVDs on my laptop, and wouldn't want to buy a $99 optical drive extra just to watch dvds. So that's lame.. but everything else isn't bad.. one USB slot isn't enough for me tho.. even 2 isn't enough but I have an adapter.[/quote0fe31f8171]

That's just one more thing to carry around though. Yes, there are solutions to what Apple is lacking and maybe that's their reasoning but it's all about convenience for me really. I mean carrying a charger, USB hub, and anything extra to serve as "solutions" to what the laptop is lacking kind of defeats the purpose of having a laptop, IMO.

Powerbook

15-01-2008 17:08:07

[quote013bdf24d4="JKirk"][quote013bdf24d4="EatChex89"][quote013bdf24d4="shortys408"]the battery can not be removed by the user, there is no ethernet, and the memory is soldered in. would not buy one of these without apple care.[/quote013bdf24d4]

Lack of an optical drive would be a problem. I love to watch DVDs on my laptop, and wouldn't want to buy a $99 optical drive extra just to watch dvds. So that's lame.. but everything else isn't bad.. one USB slot isn't enough for me tho.. even 2 isn't enough but I have an adapter.[/quote013bdf24d4]

That's just one more thing to carry around though. Yes, there are solutions to what Apple is lacking and maybe that's their reasoning but it's all about convenience for me really. I mean carrying a charger, USB hub, and anything extra to serve as "solutions" to what the laptop is lacking kind of defeats the purpose of having a laptop, IMO.[/quote013bdf24d4]

IAWTC. Smartphones would almost serve the same purpose. What's wrong with the current laptops? I find them to be very portable. The macbook air looks like it could be snapped in half very easily. It's good eyecandy, but I don't think it is a good buy for most people. They should really make a shiny black macbook pro ).

JKirk

15-01-2008 18:07:13

[quote5ba7c4abbe="mistertomlinson"]Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan... I sold a perfectly good 17" 2.4, 2GB RAM, Hi-resolution MacBookPro for NOTHING?! The echeck should have cleared today, but could take another day or two... and for what?! No new MacBook Pros?! So, I will simply have to buy ANOTHER MacBook Pro... that's so gay! I mean, I guess I will get the 2.6 processor upgrade unlike my MBP before; Gotta get something outta this. Damnit, Apple![/quote5ba7c4abbe]

I feel your pain, this sounds like something that would happen to me, seriously. (

GCY

15-01-2008 23:58:15

[quote2b15081862="JKirk"][quote2b15081862="mistertomlinson"]Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan... I sold a perfectly good 17" 2.4, 2GB RAM, Hi-resolution MacBookPro for NOTHING?! The echeck should have cleared today, but could take another day or two... and for what?! No new MacBook Pros?! So, I will simply have to buy ANOTHER MacBook Pro... that's so gay! I mean, I guess I will get the 2.6 processor upgrade unlike my MBP before; Gotta get something outta this. Damnit, Apple![/quote2b15081862]

I feel your pain, this sounds like something that would happen to me, seriously. ([/quote2b15081862]

At this point in time, I wouldn't buy another macbook pro. Apple will probably release an update in a couple of months. The macbook is certainly due for an update pretty soon. Good thing I was too lazy to put my macbook on ebay last week. roll

unknown uchiha

16-01-2008 00:22:22

About the "lack of an optical drive"

I was at Macworld today, and I got to play around with the Macbook Air. It's AMAZING.

Anyways, I asked the staff about the lack of an optical drive. They noted that first off, there was an addon for $99.

The second (and most interesting thing) was the "shared drive" software. You install it on another computer that is on the same network (wireless, of course) and pop a disc in that computer's drive. Your Macbook Air can access that disc.

@ the guy who sold the MBP
Next time, be sure to check out 9to5Mac.com for rumors and such. They've nailed five out of five rumors so far

-The aluminum makeover of the iMac
-The new keyboards
-The third-gen iPod Nanos
-The iPod Touch
-The Macbook Air

They tend to not release images (at least for the last two), instead relying on mockups and commenting on how close they look to the actual thing.