Pharmacology

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=72648

EatChex89

04-01-2008 18:25:39

So I'm seriously considering changing my major from Computer Graphics to pharmacology, however here is what's what

I have 3 units left to complete before I am able to transfer to CSULB[=http//www.csulb.edu]CSULB and continue on to get my bachelors.

I am not 100% sure on the types of jobs that I can land after getting my degree and how much I will make starting and how much I can top out at.

A pharmacist starts out at about 80k a year and can get up to 150k. That's not bad for basically just counting pills and putting them in a jar. Sure it takes quite a bit of school, but it'll be worth it, yeah?

So then comes the decision of finding a school. I want to stay in California and get school done. I'd also prefer to transfer my GenEd units from the CC I've been attending in hopes to shorten my time.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Tips? Help?

Powerbook

04-01-2008 18:35:07

Are you debating it for the money or for other reasons? Don't just go for something because of the high pay. Do what you enjoy as well. You might like pharmacy, but who knows. Of course, you probably have other reasons for picking it besides money and demand.

EatChex89

04-01-2008 18:42:40

[quote714b8ffccc="Powerbook"]Are you debating it for the money or for other reasons? Don't just go for something because of the high pay. Do what you enjoy as well. You might like pharmacy, but who knows. Of course, you probably have other reasons for picking it besides money and demand.[/quote714b8ffccc]

I'm not sure that I would like it or not, I really have never dealt with it besides a high school chemistry course that was just stupid, not hard, just stupid. Oh and money is, yes, one of my main influences.

samz465

04-01-2008 19:20:38

Well, I was actually looking into Pharmacy, and I'll tell you.
It's quite boring. My parents have a lot of "old money" friends and they're all pharmacists.
They all have money yeah, but the jobs they have are very boring.
Also, the schooling is quite hard, and I hope you're a big fan of Chemistry.
Personally I'm still undecided on whether I'm going to be going into an advanced 6 year Pharmacy program or not.
I've spoken to a few friends who are currently in the 6 year program at St Johns University (Long Island), and they said it's definitely worth it when you're out. However, the work involved is no walk in the park.
Anyway, just do some research before making a final decision.

dmorris68

04-01-2008 20:54:17

It can vary by state, but in some states a pharmacist can go to school as much as a doctor, and actually know nearly as much. It can be quite a challenge to get through.

I wholeheartedly echo the sentiment that you do NOT pursue a career, especially one requiring the investment of time, energy, and money of a pharmacy career, strictly for the money There are LOTS of fields where you can make 80K-150K a year, and more, which honestly isn't that much of a salary in California. Heck, it's not at all unusual here in NW Georgia where I live.

Getting stuck in a career or job that you hate, regardless of salary, will take a toll on you as a person. Trust me, I see it all the time. When you're young, your tolerance is much higher so you can put up with it. As you approach and enter your 30's, you'll most likely think like an entirely different person. Your moods in general will be affected by your job, the idea that you spent so many years and so much money studying for something you hate, and this will in turn affect your job performance -- meaning you could perform poorly and then lose that "great" salary. Believe me, you'd be much better off with less money and a job you love than the other way around.

If you enjoy the job it's easier to apply yourself and excel at it, and if you can do that, then (with most career fields) the money will follow anyway.

hehehhehe

05-01-2008 09:01:41

[quotec57d83c7cb="Powerbook"]Are you debating it for the money or for other reasons? Don't just go for something because of the high pay. Do what you enjoy as well. You might like pharmacy, but who knows. Of course, you probably have other reasons for picking it besides money and demand.[/quotec57d83c7cb]
Ditto. Do what you like instead of being tempted by a higher salary to do something that might be boring.

I think graphic designers can do pretty well too because of the constantly growing number of web sites.

akalic

06-01-2008 23:51:15

isn't pharmacology a bachelor's major, and being a pharmacist a gradschool/profession? correct me if i'm wrong, but they're different

EatChex89

07-01-2008 10:38:15

[quoteeeb6b91d58="akalic"]isn't pharmacology a bachelor's major, and being a pharmacist a gradschool/profession? correct me if i'm wrong, but they're different[/quoteeeb6b91d58]

true true.

egyptianruin

07-01-2008 10:58:34

[quote7f27212732="EatChex89"][quote7f27212732="akalic"]isn't pharmacology a bachelor's major, and being a pharmacist a gradschool/profession? correct me if i'm wrong, but they're different[/quote7f27212732]

true true.[/quote7f27212732]

one of my friends is a pharmacist and he has his Doctorate

puppeteer

11-01-2008 12:12:42

if you re looking for a career that pays decent and would not have a probem finding a job for it

take nursing ) thats what im doing

justinag06

11-01-2008 12:26:09

If you want to do Pharma do one of two things. Either major in a biology or chemistry related field. This opens you up to a whole plethora of jobs and post graduate degrees you can pursue. From there you can apply to pharma school or if you decide it's not for you go in a different direction, but you will at least learn everything you need to do good on the PCAT.

The other is if you absolutely know you want to do Pharma, there is a two year associates degree you can get that gets you into Pharma school much quicker. The downside is the PCAT is just as hard as the MCAT, and you skipped about 6 really hard Chem and Bio classes you will need to know to do good on that test. So if you choose this shortcut it requires you to teach yourself the hardest material needed to do good on the placement exam.

I have a friend that is applying to Pharma schools right now so I have been learning a lot about it lately from her.

manOFice

11-01-2008 12:31:52

you would be like ...the effing man... you would be the dopest drug dealer, all the hook ups

akalic

12-01-2008 00:39:47

i'm actually in first year university and i'm applying for pharmacy to become a pharmacist. The only prerequisites are first year courses in the three sciences, english and math. It must differ from other regions in North America?

ilikesmemymoney

12-01-2008 21:20:57

i just actually got out of a pre-pharmacy program, it is basically 24 hours a day of studying chem and bio so that you can survive. If you dont absolutely love chem and bio, and i mean love it, then youll go crazy and want to kill yourself in pharmacy.

akalic

13-01-2008 01:22:41

well how does that differ from just going on with your bachelors in science, onto maybe even masters or a phd, you're bound to encounter just as much chem/bio with a bit more variety.,,