professional fish caretakers...

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=72641

EatChex89

04-01-2008 13:28:27

My betta is dying I think, and I don't want him to die. How can i prevent this?

Here is the scenario
He developed pop-eye and as soon as I realised it, I gave him a full water change and then bought maracyn and maracyn-two the next day to add to his tank. He swims in a little 1.5 gallon fishbowl.

The maracyn and maracyn-two have been working fine as I add them every night (for the past 4 days). I also added some aquarium salt to the water too, and bought a heater and maintain a temperature of 78ºF.

He has not eaten for awhile now, probably 5 days or more and he just kind of sits in his cage with his head toward the top of the water bowl and the rest of him toward the bottom, his body is positioned like so / . I am worried that he will die, he also developed some white spots on the top of his head too after I started the maracyn treatments. Any suggestions on how I can save my little guy? I've scoured the internet but nothing really helpful came up besides what I already knew on the popeye.

sandra habina

04-01-2008 13:35:21

White spots - could be ick from the temperature changes, maybe.

J4320

04-01-2008 13:39:55

I don't think there is much you can do. Would it hurt so much just to not worry about it and buy a new one? Personally, I don't get attached to animals that don't have the intelligence level to show affection toward you. But yeah, hopefully he'll pull through. Sorry to hear that. (

manOFice

04-01-2008 14:04:02

betta fish die all the time, sorry for your loss (

When I was younger, we took care of them right but they just die, not a long living fish

EatChex89

04-01-2008 14:22:46

[quote5ec254d6b2="J4320"]I don't think there is much you can do. Would it hurt so much just to not worry about it and buy a new one? Personally, I don't get attached to animals that don't have the intelligence level to show affection toward you. But yeah, hopefully he'll pull through. Sorry to hear that. ([/quote5ec254d6b2]

i'm not attached to it, i just feel responsible for him being sick since i hadn't changed his water in about 4 weeks. P So, if he dies, it's my fault. If he does die, I'll buy a new one, but I'd rather like to see him live and die because of something HE does. lol

J4320

04-01-2008 14:27:45

[quote3ba749896c="EatChex89"][quote3ba749896c="J4320"]I don't think there is much you can do. Would it hurt so much just to not worry about it and buy a new one? Personally, I don't get attached to animals that don't have the intelligence level to show affection toward you. But yeah, hopefully he'll pull through. Sorry to hear that. ([/quote3ba749896c]

i'm not attached to it, i just feel responsible for him being sick since i hadn't changed his water in about 4 weeks. P So, if he dies, it's my fault. If he does die, I'll buy a new one, but I'd rather like to see him live and die because of something HE does. lol[/quote3ba749896c]

Ah I see what you mean. Come to think of it, that EXACT situation happened with my betta fish and I did feel kind of bad when it died after I got back from a trip. oops

Jams44

04-01-2008 21:34:01

I had the same gold fish for like 7 years. I got him at a school fair of sorts. When I would buy friends for him t the store he would just eat them. One day I tried my hand at cleaning his bowl and when I poured the bowl out (without taking him out!!!) I accidentally let him slip down the garbage disposal. We had a ceremony and everything and I thought my parents were going to be mad haha! Anyways, we ended the ceremony with a flip of the disposal switch!!!

lizaoreo

05-01-2008 09:17:45

[quote27ab852d2d="Jams44"]I had the same gold fish for like 7 years. I got him at a school fair of sorts. When I would buy friends for him t the store he would just eat them. One day I tried my hand at cleaning his bowl and when I poured the bowl out (without taking him out!!!) I accidentally let him slip down the garbage disposal. We had a ceremony and everything and I thought my parents were going to be mad haha! Anyways, we ended the ceremony with a flip of the disposal switch!!![/quote27ab852d2d]

My fiancee's little sister had some goldfish we got her, they lived for a good 3 or 4 years. They were fat little fish though, I think they were obese X_X

JOSHBOX

05-01-2008 09:29:47

I would go to your local pet store and look for some liquid garlic, a drop or two in your fish tank should promote eating.

Its been a while since I have cared for fish, so double check this, but it has worked for me in the past.