now i know dell is on the decline

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=72575

jy3

02-01-2008 16:46:02

http//www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/best_buy?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&dgc=EM&cid=26797&lid=608669
enough said (

TFOAF

02-01-2008 16:47:02

nah.

just more ways to sell their products. just crappy versions.

their "XPS One" is doing pretty well.

EatChex89

02-01-2008 19:35:26

i will never buy a dell again

TFOAF

02-01-2008 19:50:04

I stopped buying Dell a long time ago. P

doylnea

02-01-2008 20:38:49

You anti-dell people make me laugh. While you can't game on a Dell generally, without spending an ass-load of money, you can however have a really nice computer fairly cheaply if you take your time and pick out a good deal, or do as I advocate at almost every opportunity and buy something from www.delloutlet.com. Besides, how many Dell computers have you bought TFOAF, that you're giving up buying Dells, and have for a long time... lol

TFOAF

02-01-2008 21:25:12

[quote1b4c777585="doylnea"]You anti-dell people make me laugh. While you can't game on a Dell generally, without spending an ass-load of money, you can however have a really nice computer fairly cheaply if you take your time and pick out a good deal, or do as I advocate at almost every opportunity and buy something from www.delloutlet.com. Besides, how many Dell computers have you bought TFOAF, that you're giving up buying Dells, and have for a long time... lol[/quote1b4c777585]
I have a Dimension 4500 from Dell that I got when I was 13. And I had a Dell laptop from my mom that she got from where she works, but I didn't like it, so I gave it to my sister. Plus I don't really like Dell. But now they kinda started getting better again with their prices. Their prices used to be insane, but maybe I'll give Dell a second chance.

Daggoth

02-01-2008 21:40:53

Slickdeals had a TON of really nice deals for Dell between october and december.

jeagle82

03-01-2008 08:01:32

I've had my eyes on the XPS m1330 for a while. I just keep waiting for a good deal on it for the specs I want, but Dell's XPS line doesn't seem to have any good coupon codes associated with it, nor do they price drop as fast as any other of their laptops. Oh well.

CollidgeGraduit

03-01-2008 08:10:10

I'm not sure what's with all the anti-Dell sentiments either, other than people wanting to be elitist. Sure, you can build yourself a better PC for cheaper, but Dell isn't meant for the build-it-yourselfers.

I don't hesitate to recommend Dell to the casual computer user that asks me for a recommendation. For the volume of products they put out, the quality is great, and it's a consistent product.

Anyway, this is a good move by Dell. They should be able to steal a lot of business away from companies like HP, who I've noticed seem to be pretty popular with the customers who just want to go to a store and buy the product.

Gigante

03-01-2008 08:19:51

This is a great move, and as a stock holder I am definitely excited.

Dell was on the decline for a while but I don't hesitate when asked if they are now, they aren't. Quality has been increasing (especially customer support) as well as prices.

Great deals can be had on Dells if you watch slickdeals. I used to buy Dells, then stopped and got one custom-built by Monarch Computers, then they went out of business. In the last two years I've bought two HP laptops but will probably be buying a new one soon and I am leaning toward Dell because they have been having some great deals and they have long reigned at the top of laptops.

Jams44

03-01-2008 11:49:12

i got a super high end dell for $2400 with my moms AT&T discount so I cant complain. Ill post specs later! If anything, dell & best buy will result in a good thing seeing as its a name people trust.

EatChex89

03-01-2008 12:58:26

I am anti-dell because their products constantly break on me. I have a reason.

ILoveToys

03-01-2008 16:52:00

I got a great deal on my Ubuntu box that I bought a couple months back thanks to slickdeals.

lizaoreo

03-01-2008 17:40:53

[quotea669512e98="CollidgeGraduit"]I'm not sure what's with all the anti-Dell sentiments either, other than people wanting to be elitist. Sure, you can build yourself a better PC for cheaper, but Dell isn't meant for the build-it-yourselfers.

I don't hesitate to recommend Dell to the casual computer user that asks me for a recommendation. For the volume of products they put out, the quality is great, and it's a consistent product.

Anyway, this is a good move by Dell. They should be able to steal a lot of business away from companies like HP, who I've noticed seem to be pretty popular with the customers who just want to go to a store and buy the product.[/quotea669512e98]

I agree with this, I'm in IT at work and we're all Dell. We hardly ever have "hardware" issues with the Dell's other than hard drives going out on Sales Peoples laptops. I think Dell's are very reliable and perform nicely. Great for people who don't want to mess with computers or tinker with them. I usually recommend Dell or Mac to people who ask me about computers and Toshiba when they ask about laptops/tablets. I'm a fan of Toshiba though since my first real laptop was a Toshiba, which has been replaced by a Toshiba Tablet I truely love. Great machines.

KnightTrader

03-01-2008 19:58:12

Dells are the best bang for the buck. You can pay 450$ And a get nice rig with a 20.1" Monitor. Lame graphics card, but we're talking core 2 duos / 1+GB memory and usually 250+ Gb hds. Their prices are unbeatable.

dmorris68

03-01-2008 20:13:40

I've been pointing non-techies to Dell for many years. For an inexpensive off-the-shelf desktop that isn't intended to be upgraded much beyond maybe adding memory or replacing a drive, they're great. And that's all most non-gaming home users need in a PC. I'd much rather have a Dell than a Compaq/HP, eMachines, Gateway, etc. I've gone through an awful lot of Dell laptops and desktops at work, where it's our company standard -- I get a new desktop and laptop every 3 years, sometimes sooner. Plus I've ordered and supported countless others for other folks.

I do however prefer Toshiba, Sony, and Lenovo for laptops. Dell laptops in recent years, particularly their Inspiron home line, have suffered a bit in build quality. Their business line (Latitudes) have declined a bit as well, but not as much, and overall are still built pretty well.

I got a Sony VAIO AR670 for Christmas, and it's by far the best laptop I've ever had. I gave my 10 month old Toshiba Satellite to my daughter. I really liked it as well, I just couldn't tolerate the WSXGA resolution. I'm a resolution freak, and this Sony's 17" WUXGA (1920x1200) screen is breathtaking.

Gigante

05-01-2008 08:47:22

[quote8b7c542aa2="dmorris68"]
I got a Sony VAIO AR670 for Christmas, and it's by far the best laptop I've ever had. I gave my 10 month old Toshiba Satellite to my daughter. I really liked it as well, I just couldn't tolerate the WSXGA resolution. I'm a resolution freak, and this Sony's 17" WUXGA (1920x1200) screen is breathtaking.[/quote8b7c542aa2]

How much battery life do you usually get out of your computer? My 17" HP is down to 1 hour with the screen brightness turned down. Maixmum it was ever at was 1.5 hours, possible 2 if doing very little. Seems extremely weak, and is the reason I am considering a new computer.

JOSHBOX

05-01-2008 09:34:10

I'm no dell fan, but why would that make you think Dell is doing poorly. Dell is one of the biggest direct dealers of computers in the US and best buy is one of the biggest retailers of computers in the US. Both companies will benefit from this. When I was working at BB I couldnt tell you how many times ppl walked out empty handed just because we didn't sell Dell branded computers. It really seems like a win win for both companies.

JOSHBOX

05-01-2008 09:35:25

[quotebc39120ba7="dmorris68"]I've been pointing non-techies to Dell for many years. For an inexpensive off-the-shelf desktop that isn't intended to be upgraded much beyond maybe adding memory or replacing a drive, they're great. And that's all most non-gaming home users need in a PC. I'd much rather have a Dell than a Compaq/HP, eMachines, Gateway, etc. I've gone through an awful lot of Dell laptops and desktops at work, where it's our company standard -- I get a new desktop and laptop every 3 years, sometimes sooner. Plus I've ordered and supported countless others for other folks.

I do however prefer Toshiba, Sony, and Lenovo for laptops. Dell laptops in recent years, particularly their Inspiron home line, have suffered a bit in build quality. Their business line (Latitudes) have declined a bit as well, but not as much, and overall are still built pretty well.

I got a Sony VAIO AR670 for Christmas, and it's by far the best laptop I've ever had. I gave my 10 month old Toshiba Satellite to my daughter. I really liked it as well, I just couldn't tolerate the WSXGA resolution. I'm a resolution freak, and this Sony's 17" WUXGA (1920x1200) screen is breathtaking.[/quotebc39120ba7]

1920x1200 on 17"..... shock shock shock

I want!

dmorris68

05-01-2008 12:58:45

[quote777cf64dd9="Gigante"][quote777cf64dd9="dmorris68"]
I got a Sony VAIO AR670 for Christmas, and it's by far the best laptop I've ever had. I gave my 10 month old Toshiba Satellite to my daughter. I really liked it as well, I just couldn't tolerate the WSXGA resolution. I'm a resolution freak, and this Sony's 17" WUXGA (1920x1200) screen is breathtaking.[/quote777cf64dd9]

How much battery life do you usually get out of your computer? My 17" HP is down to 1 hour with the screen brightness turned down. Maixmum it was ever at was 1.5 hours, possible 2 if doing very little. Seems extremely weak, and is the reason I am considering a new computer.[/quote777cf64dd9]
I've not closely timed it. I'd say a little over 2 hours, but I did get it with the extended 9-cell battery (that Sony charges arm+leg for). With a standard battery I imagine 1.5hrs would be stretching it. It's definitely a desktop replacement, and as such shouldn't be expected to have a long life.

[quote777cf64dd9="JOSHBOX"]1920x1200 on 17"..... shock shock shock

I want![/quote777cf64dd9]
Knock yourself out...[=http//www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=27835&parentCategoryId=16154]Knock yourself out... ;) You just have to configure dual HDD's (for some strange reason) to get the 1920x1200+8600M GT display. Mine has 2x200GB HDD's running RAID0 from the factory.

WUXGA on a 17" is not that unusual if you shop around, unfortunately Toshiba (one of my favored brands) never seemed to release one. You can even get WUXGA on a 15" laptop, it's just not as common. My 2 year old Dell Latitude D810 that I use at work has 1920x1200 on it's 15.1" widescreen.