LSAT prep, anyone take it? any advice?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=72286

Powerbook

19-12-2007 08:42:45

Well, as most of you know I'm in this accelerated law program. I didn't do too well on my standardized testing for college entry. I did well, but not as well as I had hoped. I think preparation is key for me. I will be taking the LSAT in 1.5 years or so. I just bought a prep book from amazon. I know I sound crazy, but I just want to do well on this. Perhaps I am starting too early, but oh well ). Feedback would be nice, if anyone has experience with this. Thanks. D

P.S. I'm 19 today w00t w00t!

doylnea

19-12-2007 13:34:52

I'd suggest you take a prep class, they're the best way to learn the tricks for succeeding on the LSAT (and they really are tricks).

sidenote - the LSAT is possibly the worst (of the standardized tests administered for grad schools) at assessing potential ability, or aptitude in law school, be forewarned. Prior success on standardized tests means nothing, as does prior mediocrity on standardized tests.

Powerbook

19-12-2007 13:40:46

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. Hopefully if I start early I will do well.

Dr. Doom

25-12-2007 17:23:26

Having myself studied for the LSAT for a good long time (and finally deciding I didn't really want to go to law school), the best advice I can offer you is to make time to study a little bit every day well in advance of your test date. Even if it's just 30 minutes, it will greatly benefit you to study every day.

Although prep courses can be helpful to many people, they're not necessary. It depends on the person; some people do better in the classroom setting, others like self-study.

In any case, avoid Kaplan and Princeton Review at all costs. Yes, they offer some useful tips, but nothing that will get you a very high score (and you want as high a score as possible to get into a good school and to get scholarships). In the course of my study, Princeton and Kaplan did little to raise my average on practice tests. Part of the reason might be that they write their own "LSAT-like" questions. The test prep I liked the best was Powerscore. They only use actual LSAT questions and their techniques greatly improved my score during practice.

Bottom line take a Powerscore prep course or buy their Logical Reasoning and Logic Games Bibles for self-study. Or both.

johndoe999999999

25-12-2007 22:17:49

ADMINS, please delete user mrproia, including any posts he posted. please delete me too, because I am the same guy and I'm sure it is against the rules to create another account once banned. Thanks!

Powerbook

26-12-2007 07:33:32

[quote1a2dee0774="johndoe999999999"]ADMINS, please delete user mrproia, including any posts he posted. please delete me too, because I am the same guy and I'm sure it is against the rules to create another account once banned. Thanks![/quote1a2dee0774]

How about you pm a mod instead of using my thread? .....

Aurelius

28-12-2007 01:13:21

My brother took the LSAT this past fall and from what I could tell, he just did all t he practice material that Kaplan provided to him. He ended up with a 172 which has gotten him into Boalt, NYU, and a follow up interview from Harvard so far. Granted, he is a pretty motivated person and probably would have done decently anyways but from what he has told me, the Kaplan material will help as long as you are serious in putting time into them. Good luck!

Powerbook

28-12-2007 13:10:43

Thanks! Tell your brother that is an excellent score. I want to score a 170 at least so bad. 1.5 years left!