I am legend

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=72175

JKirk

14-12-2007 20:50:27

I just saw I Am Legend and I have to say it's a pretty good movie. I'm usually not one that posts spoilers but those who have seen it, I certainly have a thing or two to say. I encourage people who plan to see it not to view these spoilers. I had a friend tell me what he thought was a minor detail and it kind of dampened the suspense, or at least one part.

Overall, I think the special effects were good. I almost crapped my pants about five times during the course of the movie, and I don't think I jump that much honestly. The only criticism I have for the movie itself was the ending. Will Smith was awesome, I think he will be up for some awards for this one.

Does it live up to the hype? I'm not quite sure. There definitely are some die hard fans out there that I could hear were disappointed in the theater but I really had no hype for it to begin with. I just found out it was about zombies a few days ago so maybe that biases my opinion about it. I'd give it two thumbs up.
[b3c934f083d]
Spoiler discussion[/b3c934f083d]

[spoiler3c934f083d] If you read my spoiler, you may think that I'm criticizing a lot but there were just certain parts that got to me. The first, the dog. It just sucked seeing him die, it was kind of like watching Wilson the volleyball from Castaway float away. Maybe I'm just a softie for that kind of stuff, who knows. I thought (Will Smith) dying in the end was kind of crummy. I wanted to see him live after he had been through hell and back.

When he was hanging by his leg on that rope, I was a nervous wreck. Everyone in the audience practically squirmed and the movie producers definitely dragged that scene on as long as possible to just torture the audience. That was good stuff.[/spoiler3c934f083d]

PS Feel free to move this to the movie thread but I just didn't want the spoilers mixed in with that thread. Plus, this should be a pretty big discussion since this movie did have a lot of hype.

x323smostwantedx

14-12-2007 21:11:36

Im leaving to the movies now, I didnt read a thing you wrote kirk D

hairyferry

14-12-2007 21:11:53

Jkirk, I went to see this in Imax and it was amazing! You were so right about where he was hanging. Specially when the those dogs came out and started to attack his. One thing I didn't understand is when the dogs came out and he killed them why didn't the other zombie guy come out after Will Smith? I thought the ending was a good one, not the best but decent. I'd give the movie probably a 8.5. I'm not one to buy movies but I'll definitely be buying this one on HD!

EatChex89

14-12-2007 21:19:31

im going tonigiht.

mnx12

14-12-2007 23:50:00

I went to a screening of it last week, and I liked it a lot. I didn't know anything about it except that he was the last person on Earth & from the previews I thought he was fighting aliens not zombie dudes. I also agree about the ending, it was sudden and unsatisfying haha. Overall awesome movie.

x323smostwantedx

15-12-2007 00:30:31

Just came back, I liked it too but I didnt like the ending.

[quotede334896ed="hairyferry"]Jkirk, I went to see this in Imax and it was amazing! You were so right about where he was hanging. Specially when the those dogs came out and started to attack his. O[bde334896ed]ne thing I didn't understand is when the dogs came out and he killed them why didn't the other zombie guy come out after Will Smith?[/bde334896ed] I thought the ending was a good one, not the best but decent. I'd give the movie probably a 8.5. I'm not one to buy movies but I'll definitely be buying this one on HD![/quotede334896ed]
Thats what I didnt get either. And how did that manican move? Was it the zombie people? It was sunlight though. In some parts I was just like "WTF ? "

EatChex89

15-12-2007 00:45:25

i have never jumped so high and so much in my life

i seriously screamed/yelled in one part and my heart rate FLEW!

but yeah, excellent movie, I of course agree with the other [spoiler1cb9614a8e]and hated to see will smith go -(. I think the manican moved because he was basically going crazy. Man that was crazy![/spoiler1cb9614a8e]

A must see before 2007 ends!

mnx12

15-12-2007 00:54:00

Actually, i'm pretty sure that [spoiler50714b7c40]the main zombie guy copied Will's trap that he used to catch the zombies for testing. He just used a manican instead of blood.[/spoiler50714b7c40]

EatChex89

15-12-2007 01:16:49

[quotea8fb1a1f72="mnx12"]Actually, i'm pretty sure that [spoilera8fb1a1f72]the main zombie guy copied Will's trap that he used to catch the zombies for testing. He just used a manican instead of blood.[/spoilera8fb1a1f72][/quotea8fb1a1f72]

for sure.

that was sCARY

JKirk

15-12-2007 04:02:48

[quotee4b1a58cfc="mnx12"]Actually, i'm pretty sure that [spoilere4b1a58cfc]the main zombie guy copied Will's trap that he used to catch the zombies for testing. He just used a manican instead of blood.[/spoilere4b1a58cfc][/quotee4b1a58cfc]

[spoilere4b1a58cfc]Yeah man, I understood that right off the bat because it was the exact same thing that Will did to them. Hairyferry, I didn't even think about that guy coming after him though whenever his dogs did.

The zombies were kind of weird. They would be sluggish and robotic like zombies are always portrayed as at some times and then others they were like ninjas. Whenever he was in that dark building looking for Sam, I was seriously losing it. lol [/spoilere4b1a58cfc]

I think I'd have to agree with an 8.5 rating but I'm still probably going to buy it.

egyptianruin

15-12-2007 06:27:53

From my understanding of the novel it's about [spoilerdefbb47f1a]vampirism not zombies[/spoilerdefbb47f1a]

hairyferry

15-12-2007 07:04:59

[quote053c361e6e="egyptianruin"]From my understanding of the novel it's about [spoiler053c361e6e]vampirism not zombies[/spoiler053c361e6e][/quote053c361e6e]

Yeah that would make sense, considering they were always going after the neck. They should have made that more clear. One thing I did like was how they set it up. Right at the beginning they were off and running, it didn't take a half an hour to get going. I also liked how they did the flash backs!

goof

15-12-2007 10:02:55

I went and saw this last night but for some reason didn't like it all that much. I guess the zombie type movies aren't for me.

hehehhehe

16-12-2007 08:00:08

I liked it up until [spoiler29c10968db]the dog died. The part where will smith gets trapped is the part where everyone's thinking 'oh shit' because these dark seekers showed they could be very smart but they still pretty much stayed as brainless monsters void of humanity (which they hinted at by showing the alpha male getting pissed once will smith kidnapped his mate) and it went downhill after that.

The CGI dark seekers weren't that scary, the 28 days later zombies were better.

I liked the thing with the butterflies in the end (I guess it was meant to show that there was a god) but it was too bad that it led will smith to blow himself up. In a movie where we have to suspend disbelief on several counts, maybe he could have thrown the grenade to kill them and still save himself in the fireplace.[/spoiler29c10968db]

jy3

16-12-2007 08:32:48

[quote9663551e39="hairyferry"]Jkirk, I went to see this in Imax and it was amazing! You were so right about where he was hanging. Specially when the those dogs came out and started to attack his. One thing I didn't understand is when the dogs came out and he killed them why didn't the other zombie guy come out after Will Smith? I thought the ending was a good one, not the best but decent. I'd give the movie probably a 8.5. I'm not one to buy movies but I'll definitely be buying this one on HD![/quote9663551e39]

he didnt want Will. read my spoiler for the reason he didnt kill him. [spoiler9663551e39]in reality he wanted his love, the girl infected with the virus that Will cured in the end. I was surprised that he did not realize that and just let the guy take the girl. Although I guess he likely would have been killed after the guy took the now cured girl. He did not realize that the infected humans were acting socially. the whole scene when he was up on the rope was meant to kill his companion, the dog, more than to kill Will Smith[/spoiler9663551e39][/spoiler]

hairyferry

16-12-2007 08:49:45

wow look at Jy3 getting all deep in the movie. Good catch bro! That makes a lot of sense and I think you hit it right on.

DollarDealNetwork

16-12-2007 15:21:14

I was totally disappointed in the movie from beginning to end.

It was poorly edited
Had flaw after flaw in continuation as several have been pointed out here.
Had Stephen King(ish) ending which are never good

Overall a 5 tops and that was just for great special effects.

They tried to do too much with the movie. You can tell it must have been a monster script, 200+ pages, and they tried to whittle it down to 120. They would have been better off making it 2 parts or a lot longer. They left out way too many details.

DRay9911

22-12-2007 19:19:56

if you know where to look, a screener is "out there"

awesome quality

-dan

Driscollv2

22-12-2007 20:09:24

"A Review from my friend which sums up how I feel about the movie"

I just got back from a preview screening. Pretty awful movie. The pacing is horrible. There are scenes that just drag on. The director wanted us to feel alone, but it turned out to just be boring. The CG is some of the worst I have every seen in a blockbuster. The deserted NYC looked pretty good, but the zombies were just awful. I used to like Will Smith, but he is just annoying as hell in this movie. Most lines are cheesier than Transformers. It's a bland and boring movie that just falls apart at half way into it. There is an insane overuse of "jump" scenes that just get more predictable and repetitive as the movie progresses. A movie around 100 minutes shouldn't have this much downtime.

mnx12

22-12-2007 21:08:29

Your friends review is kinda lame.

EatChex89

22-12-2007 22:12:00

[quote2feff8c516="Driscollv2"]"A Review from my friend which sums up how I feel about the movie"

I just got back from a preview screening. Pretty awful movie. The pacing is horrible. There are scenes that just drag on. The director wanted us to feel alone, but it turned out to just be boring. The CG is some of the worst I have every seen in a blockbuster. The deserted NYC looked pretty good, but the zombies were just awful. I used to like Will Smith, but he is just annoying as hell in this movie. Most lines are cheesier than Transformers. It's a bland and boring movie that just falls apart at half way into it. There is an insane overuse of "jump" scenes that just get more predictable and repetitive as the movie progresses. A movie around 100 minutes shouldn't have this much downtime.[/quote2feff8c516]

Is your friend sure he went to see "I Am Legend"?

Driscollv2

23-12-2007 05:20:20

They used so much of the budget to make new york city look deserted that that "zombies" looking incredibly fake among the background, especially in lighted scenes. I guess I liked to flip flop of the day to night scenes because you know that night scenes are going to be intense. It does have the "hype" that they were looking for and people are going to see it, I just feel that there were certain flaws that ruined the movie for me. Especially the CG.

moola

23-12-2007 20:39:47

The brooklyn bridge scene took at least $5 million out of the alloted $150 million to make. But that flashback scene was sexy.