Will you tell your kids that Santa is real?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=71484

tjwor

21-11-2007 12:22:05

I had a discussion about this somewhere, but I searched around here and couldn't find anything. As it is coming to this time of year, I wanted input from all of you guys.

Will you tell your kids that Santa Clause is real and brings them gifts? (if you plan to have kids)

Did you grow up thinking that Santa was real?

I know we had a discussion over this in one of my classes and some lady was going nuts about how it is lying and it is teaching your kids that they can't trust you from the beginning because you are making them believe in false things...

Twon

21-11-2007 12:26:53

I hate Santa. He never left me anything good. I will tell my son when he is a little older that Santa is ficticious.

ajasax

21-11-2007 12:32:09

That's hilarious. I don't trust my parents any less because they told me Santa was real roll My parents did the whole thing. We put out cookies and they "ate" them to make it seem real.

My mom even has a funny story about that. One Christmas Eve we put out a plate full of cookies and once we were asleep, my dad started stuffing his face with them. My mom tells him "You don't have to eat all of them! Just put them back with the rest!" lol

I don't really remember the transition when I found out that Santa was made-up. I probably found out either through friends or the media. Also I don't think I ever really thought the Easter bunny was real. I was a pretty smart kid wink

ilanbg

21-11-2007 13:10:52

I don't remember being told Santa was fake but I was about eight years old and I'm told I was furious that I had been lied to all that time.

I wrote my high school thesis on why Santa Claus is bad for society.

dmorris68

21-11-2007 13:16:50

We always talked about "Santa" as sort of a euphemism for the provider of Christmas gifts, but not as if he were real. I guess I was ambivalent about it when I was young, but when I got married my wife gave me some perspective on the subject that I had never realized -- and probably many of you don't either.

Poor kids, whether from here or less-developed societies, always hear about how Santa brings toys to all the good little boys and girls all over the world. Yet they don't get anything (or very little). So they're left feeling that maybe they aren't good enough, or that Santa just forgot about them. Whatever. When you realize the specific cruelty of the entire notion of Santa being real, it makes you think it's not such a good idea. So no, we decided early on that our kids would not grow up believing Santa was real.

J4320

21-11-2007 13:52:29

"Will you tell your kids that Santa is real?"

Wow. Usually, I'm very opinionated about things but when I tried to answer this, I just couldn't decide. Don't you think it's kind of mean to tell your 5 year old kid that there is no Santa when he's all excited about it? The teachers and kids talk about Santa at school so he/she gets all jolly ( P ) about it then you come along and tell them that it's made up. It's just kind of a negative thing to do in my opinion. Sure, they can learn when they get a little older but I don't know about telling them such a thing when they're that young. Plus, I don't want my kid being the douche kid running around saying that there is no Santa. My parents told me around my 3rd or 4th "rememberable" Christmas and most of the kids my age at the time still believed in Santa. It sure made me more thankful toward my parents instead of toward a made up entity. When it comes down to it, I think it's more of a personal preference that doesn't really matter very much assuming you'll let them know eventually -- hopefully sooner (not too soon ;) ) rather than later. As for the whole Santa icon of Christmas being a problem for the less privileged, dmorris kind of opened my eyes to that. Unfortunately, I don't really know what we could do about it. Can you imagine people's reactions to trying to take away the Santa aspect of Christmas? People already get pissed off enough about the "x" in Xmas. And I like the Santa culture around Christmas. It just makes Christmas seem that much more unique and fun.

manOFice

21-11-2007 14:01:43

I'll keep mine simple

when i have kids, i'll tell them santa is real.

zdub08

21-11-2007 14:27:20

I'm not going to have kids, but I'll tell them Santa is real.

Jumpman23

21-11-2007 16:05:11

Santa isn't real?!?!?!?!?!?!?

sandra habina

21-11-2007 16:07:51

I believe that the story of St. Nicholas and how he made gifts and toys for children was true and I believe the spirit of Christmas is giving and helping and Santa Claus has been a part of that spirit for years - for most children of all ages. It is unfortunate that some children would not be able to partake in Santa's gifts but I do not feel it is correct to deprive my own children from that Spirit of Christmas or Santa Claus because other less privileged children can not. I always have told my children that Santa Claus's spirit was real and to me that is not a lie. But when they were young - yes they did go see one of Santa's helpers and tell them what they wished for.
We really never had that big discussion that they realized the man in the big red suit was not real - I am sure their friends let them know but as I had always told them - his spirit was true and that I would hope they would believe in the spirit of giving and love and kindness - no matter what.

PS My husband played one of Santa's Helpers for many years - bringing toys and happiness to many children and I know he did it because children love Christmas and Santa Claus and what he stands for. (And he had his own beard too and the belly) LOL

Whatever you decide to tell your own children is your business and we all have the right to believe how we wish. But love and kindness can never be a bad thing in my mind.

good2speed

21-11-2007 16:11:16

Sanata is just a bribe for kids. Be good and you'll get something. I'm sure parents could just tell the kids directly that they haven't been goood enough to recieve presents but just use Santa instead. Kids are gullible and will believe anything their parents tell them. For example for keeping my niece outside of certain rooms we tell her to never go in there since there are lions and bears that live in there.

Seriously thoguh Santa is such BS. Only if kids had a clue. Santa knows if you're good or not. BS. Sanata don't know shit. How the hell would Sanata manage to traverse the world and deliver that many gifts in one day using f'n reindeer. How the hell is Santa navigating? Does Santa decide to pick either the US or Europe since those transatlantic flights on reindeer can get preety rough. Oh ya how is his fat ass getting down that chimney. What if you don't have a chimney?

tjwor

21-11-2007 17:03:42

[quoted328f51430="good2speed"]Seriously thoguh Santa is such BS. Only if kids had a clue. Santa knows if you're good or not. BS. Sanata don't know shit. How the hell would Sanata manage to traverse the world and deliver that many gifts in one day using f'n reindeer. How the hell is Santa navigating? Does Santa decide to pick either the US or Europe since those transatlantic flights on reindeer can get preety rough. Oh ya how is his fat ass getting down that chimney. What if you don't have a chimney?[/quoted328f51430]

evidentally ethugs don't watch the movie "santa clause" with tim allen...

i think it answers all of those clearly...

good2speed

21-11-2007 17:15:12

[quote9c5299bd61="tjwor"]
evidentally ethugs don't watch the movie "santa clause" with tim allen...

i think it answers all of those clearly...[/quote9c5299bd61]

The question was rhetorical. I suppose non 'ethugs' respond to rhetorical questions. And who the hell is Tim Allen? IS that the corny dude from Home Improvement?

maksmom

21-11-2007 17:51:01

Interesting topic. My 10yr old, 6yr old and 5yr old all still firmly believe in Santa. I believed until I was 7 (I vividly remember [i8f41b9aaa7]the moment[/i8f41b9aaa7] I realized he wasn't real). Instead of holding it against my parents, I loved being part of the 'grownups club' and doing all the fun traditional things so my younger sister and brother would keep believing. Having great memories of Christmas and all the family traditions we had makes me want to prolong it for my own kids. They thoroughly LOVE this time of year and I don't think they're ready to let go of Santa yet. And now that they have a new cousin, even if they find out the truth, they can still "help" their cousin locate Rudolph's red nose (any airplane in the sky) or "track" Santa on NORAD. To be honest, I'm pretty surprised my 10yr old still believes. I would have thought by now some of his friends at school would have clued him in or something like that...If he ever asks me point blank if Santa is real, I won't lie, but I'm not going to sit him down to tell him the facts without being asked.

egyptianruin

21-11-2007 18:26:21

When I have kids I will say

This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

manOFice

21-11-2007 18:42:26

i'm kinda tipsy but some of you guys are full of shit. Kids look foward to these kind of things...

When I become a parent I can't wait to become party of the xmas spirt for the kids

tracemhunter

21-11-2007 23:14:06

I found out that Santa wasn't real when I was 5 so I don't really remember anything. If I do have kids I won't even bother telling the kid.

ldybug1752

21-11-2007 23:49:12

I'm undecided at the moment. I'm pretty sure, when I have kids, I'll tell them he's not real. A part of me agrees with whoever said it earlier with not wanting to have the kid who tells everyone else's kids the truth..and it IS fun for them...but I remember now how I found out.

I didn't lose my first tooth til I was 7, so I probably didn't know until I was 8, but one time, my mom forgot to be the tooth fairy and I was so distraught about it so I went to her and was like "what the hell mom, the TF forgot about me..my tooth is still there" and her reaction was a look of surprise, and shock.."OH MY GOD I'm SO sorry!!!" "what for mom?" and yeah..no more tooth fairy, no more santa..easter bunny..I felt like my whole world came crashing down, and it was all because my own mother had been lying to me!

After getting out all those suppressed memories I'm telling my kids the truth. Thanks guys. D

Iz

22-11-2007 00:19:01

[quote6e3a24b164="manOFice"]i'm kinda tipsy but some of you guys are full of shit. Kids look foward to these kind of things...

When I become a parent I can't wait to become party of the xmas spirt for the kids[/quote6e3a24b164]

Couldn't agree with you more.

I can still remember the feeling and excitement I had around Christmas time because Santa was coming. This was (and still is) my favorite time of year, because it was Christmas, then my birthday, and then new years (birthday of December 30th). 3 holidays in a row! But nonetheless, I also remember being told in 5th grade (yes I remember the year too) that Santa was not real. It took some of the fun out of the whole deal, but I also felt better, because as you know going back to school, you would seem like an idiot being the only one still believing in Santa.

Santa brings a lot of excitement and good memories into this time of the year. I'd hate to have my kids miss out on that.

egyptianruin

22-11-2007 06:01:26

[quote7ea869030f="tracemhunter"]I found out that Santa wasn't real when I was 5 so I don't really remember anything. If I do have kids I won't even bother telling the kid.[/quote7ea869030f]

I remember asking my mom when I was five - she told me yes he is real - I said DONT LIE TO ME! lol and then she told me the truth and I cried because she did, she felt terrible - I will let my child learn it on their own. I will neither disprove it or hurry it along. I never left cookies out because the cats would eat them, we didn't have a chimney and I didn't buy the whole Santa has a key to the front door thing so hopefully my child will figure it out on their own.

ilanbg

22-11-2007 09:02:18

[quote413caf7f84="manOFice"]i'm kinda tipsy but some of you guys are full of shit. Kids look foward to these kind of things...[/quote413caf7f84]

Yay for taking advantage of children's trusting natures.

W00t for being able to outsmart an infant.

?

TryinToGetPaid

22-11-2007 10:44:24

Of course -- there is no fun knowing your parents are the one giving you gifts. If I knew Santa wasn't real when I was little, Christmas would have been so boring.

good2speed

22-11-2007 11:01:46

[quote78f00e8a19="TryinToGetPaid"]Of course -- there is no fun knowing your parents are the one giving you gifts. [/quote78f00e8a19]

I remember when I was real young and I lost a tooth and I expected the tooth fairy to come and take my tooth and leave some money just like
ldybug1752. To my dismay there was no money when I woke in the morning and my tooth was still under the pillow. After speaking with my parents they told me to go put my jacket on or something. I left my room for a mintue only to return to see my dad placing a $1 under my pillow. I suppose at that point I lost belief in the tooth fairy and all other mythical figures. Looking back on it I think it was kind of funny to find out my dad was the 'tooth fairy' and that my parents were such willing participants to make my childhood fun. I still appreciate their effort however since my parents are immigrants to this country and they most likely never grew up with American customs.

manOFice

22-11-2007 11:21:01

[quote0f56348f13="ilanbg"][quote0f56348f13="manOFice"]i'm kinda tipsy but some of you guys are full of shit. Kids look foward to these kind of things...[/quote0f56348f13]

Yay for taking advantage of children's trusting natures.

W00t for being able to outsmart an infant.

?[/quote0f56348f13]

roll

Twon

22-11-2007 11:31:19

[quote07aa92f60d="manOFice"]i'm kinda tipsy but...[/quote07aa92f60d]

No. You don't drink do you????

theysayjump

22-11-2007 13:43:30

You people seriously fucking disgust me.

How.........How can you just deny he exists?

http/" alt=""/img150.imageshack.us/img="150/2233/tclive2bigdo8.jpg[" alt=""/imge2446f08f5]

ilanbg

22-11-2007 14:02:54

[quote4d047145d2="TryinToGetPaid"]Of course -- there is no fun knowing your parents are the one giving you gifts. If I knew Santa wasn't real when I was little, Christmas would have been so boring.[/quote4d047145d2]

Or maybe you can use Christmas as a family bonding experience with those children, rather than material-driven faux-moralism.

tylerc

22-11-2007 15:26:49

I figured it out when I was like 6, I noticed Santa's handwriting was strikingly similar to my dad's.

maksmom-He's 10 and he still believes? Wake him up already.

gnznroses

23-11-2007 11:26:46

i believed in santa as a child, sorta. there was never a moment where i suddenly found out it was bs. i mean i was skeptical for as long as i could remember. the only time i remember actually believing completely was when i was really little, like 5 years old maybe.

but i really dunno what i'll tell my kids, if i have kids. i'd say i'll probably go along with the santa thing, but it's not gonna be the defining thing about christmas and i wouldn't try to hide the truth from them for as long as possible or anything. let them figure it out and have fun with decidign whether they believe it or not.

maksmom

23-11-2007 14:51:48

[quoted1cddc1015="tylerc"]I figured it out when I was like 6, I noticed Santa's handwriting was strikingly similar to my dad's.

maksmom-He's 10 and he still believes? Wake him up already.[/quoted1cddc1015]

Apparently, most of his friends still believe, too. Gotta admit I'm surprised he hasn't even considered the fact that Santa's not real. About a week ago, he brought me a letter and had me "send" it to the North Pole. He refused to tell me what was in it. I love that he's innocent enough to still believe. They're in such a rush to grow up and be "cool", it's nice there are still a couple of things to remind me how cute he still is.

aviendha47

23-11-2007 16:01:21

I don't remember really believing in Santa for very long. The handwriting bit tipped me off and I used to get presents from Rudolph too so I figured Santa was really my dad. It was always a fun holiday though because a bunch of the family would usually get together so I suppose I wouldn't tell my kids unless they want to know. I'm fine with giving them hints though. The tradition of Rudolph will live on.

sandra habina

24-11-2007 23:08:56

[quote68248ad015="maksmom"][quote68248ad015="tylerc"]I figured it out when I was like 6, I noticed Santa's handwriting was strikingly similar to my dad's.

maksmom-He's 10 and he still believes? Wake him up already.[/quote68248ad015]

Apparently, most of his friends still believe, too. Gotta admit I'm surprised he hasn't even considered the fact that Santa's not real. About a week ago, he brought me a letter and had me "send" it to the North Pole. He refused to tell me what was in it. I love that he's innocent enough to still believe. They're in such a rush to grow up and be "cool", it's nice there are still a couple of things to remind me how cute he still is.[/quote68248ad015]

I agree - let the innocence stay as long as possible. My daughter is 8 and some of her friends have said things. She is questioning but she wants to believe still and like I said earlier - I believe in the spirit of St. Nick (Santa) was real - so I tell her I believe and if she wants to she can too. At least for this year still. D

ilanbg

25-11-2007 07:56:20

Ugh.

When did people start equating "naive" with "innocent"?

Or "innocent" with "stupid"?

Requiem

25-11-2007 08:15:08

I personally will tell my kids that Santa is real because it's a facet of the imagination, and it helps their imagination mature even further.