Earthquakes suck

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=70863

JOSHBOX

30-10-2007 23:01:01

http//www.sfgate.com/flat/archive/2007/10/30/chronicle/archive/2007/10/30/BA19T3RCD.html

Happened while I was at work, just came home. A few things fell down in my room, a picture frame and some other stuff. Could have been worse but I am still freaked out, anyone else get hit by this?

PrizecarnivalNATE

30-10-2007 23:04:00

wow.. never lived in an area that had that.. but yea i agree, i looks like it could have been worse, and yea, it'd freak me a little too.

Iz

30-10-2007 23:12:20

I always seem to feel the small earthquakes at all, no matter where I am. I felt a little 2.0 or 3.0 earthquake a bit ago, and no one believed me until they turned on the news.

I live in Orange County, CA, so we don't get very big earthquakes, but usually smaller ones from the bigger earthquakes that happen up north. Luckily it wasn't worse and only some of your stuff fell down.

Gigante

30-10-2007 23:16:11

Felt it here, but didn't bother me really. But you are closer than I.

mnx12

30-10-2007 23:28:49

I don't know why this upsets you, I find it pretty hardcore.

bruman

30-10-2007 23:30:57

JOSHBOX lives in California.. how could you have felt it if you live in New York, Gigante?

JOSHBOX

30-10-2007 23:43:54

I think he lives in Salinas. I am only about 15 miles from the epicenter in San Jose here. He is almost 60+ miles away.

dmorris68

31-10-2007 06:35:56

[quotec7b6f5ab60="PrizecarnivalNATE"]wow.. never lived in an area that had that.. but yea i agree, i looks like it could have been worse, and yea, it'd freak me a little too.[/quotec7b6f5ab60]
You moved to TN, right? Then yes you do live an area that has earthquakes, just not frequently. ;)

Most people don't realize it since CA gets the majority of them (especially serious ones), but earthquakes can happen almost anywhere in the US. I live in NW Georgia, 30 miles from Chattanooga, TN. Just a few years ago, we were awakened early one morning by what I first thought was severe thunder that vibrated the whole house, but it went on for longer than any thunder I'd ever heard (at least 15-20 seconds). I thought maybe a nearby massive explosion, but it was really too long for that as well. Earthquake was the farthest from my mind, so I grab the phone and call 911. Their phones were ringing off the hook, and the dispatcher says something about an earthquake. Imagine my surprise...

Sure enough, the next day we find out that there are some very active faults in this area.

Here's the CNN story

http//www.cnn.com/2003/US/South/04/29/southern.tremor

As you can see, it was a 4.9 magnitude quake (not all that tiny, especially for around here) and where I live was just a few miles from the epicenter.

[quotec7b6f5ab60="CNN"]"It's not terribly unusual. The southeast Tennessee seismic zone, which actually extends from that area up toward Knoxville, is probably the second most active area in the Eastern United States," said Georgia Tech professor Tim Long, who works in the school's earthquake monitoring lab.

"We have events like this about every 10 to 20 years. So far they have not been serious. There's potential for a larger event," Long said. [/quotec7b6f5ab60]

Gigante

31-10-2007 07:25:49

I am in Berkeley for now, the mob doesn't need my services out in NY ever since I became delusional. Nowadays I just live with the hippies and bums.

hehehhehe

31-10-2007 10:15:43

Thankfully there doesn't seem to be much damage and you didn't get hurt but yeah, earthquakes do suck. I was once near a 7.x one and it was scary.

[quote301b7ca889="dmorris68"]I live in NW Georgia, 30 miles from Chattanooga, TN.[/quote301b7ca889]
Are you affected by the water shortage the news has been talking about?

dmorris68

31-10-2007 10:55:54

[quoteacfd23363b="hehehhehe"][quoteacfd23363b="dmorris68"]I live in NW Georgia, 30 miles from Chattanooga, TN.[/quoteacfd23363b]
Are you affected by the water shortage the news has been talking about?[/quoteacfd23363b]
Very much so. Chattanooga, being right on a virtually endless supply via the Tennessee River, is in great shape and having no water troubles at all. Atlanta, OTOH, being almost entirely dependent on the ever-shrinking Lake Lanier, is in pretty dire straits. We're somewhat better off than Atlanta since we get water from several sources in addition to Lake Lanier, including our own reservoir, however things are still awfully bad here. We had 3-4 days of blessed rain last week, but we're at such a deficit that it will hardly make a difference if it doesn't continue. Before last week I heard we had about 60 days of water left in the city. We've been at Level 4 restriction since 9/28, meaning NO private outside water usage whatsoever (no washing cars, filling pools, water play, etc.). If it continues getting worse, car washes and other business deemed non-essential to public good could be restricted as well.

One good thing to come of it though being a highly industrious area, we use an extraordinary amount of water for industry purposes. With the drought, most of the major factories around here have been forced to streamline processes that use water, resulting in an ongoing conservation effort that will benefit everybody going forward. My employer, being the largest manufacturer in the area, has spearheaded those efforts and saved a ton of water itself. Others have followed suit. Nothing like threatening a company's bottom line by cutting of their resources to get 'em to spend the time, money, and effort to use them wisely. )

The upside is that we're moving into the fall/winter season where things aren't as dry, however they're saying we so dry that even a wet winter & spring won't likely replenish everything before next summer. If we have a drought repeat next year, it could certainly be disastrous.

samz465

31-10-2007 14:02:16

[quotecee33da1a7="Gigante"]I am in Berkeley for now, the mob doesn't need my services out in NY ever since I became delusional. Nowadays I just live with the hippies and bums.[/quotecee33da1a7]
Lol sweetness.
I love hippies and bums!

J4320

31-10-2007 14:30:39

-samad

samz465

31-10-2007 14:45:08

[quote0618aa3ea3="J4320"]-samad[/quote0618aa3ea3]

o hai !

Admin

31-10-2007 18:44:44

i was in a hot tub here in norcal when it hit - intense )

evilbrother266

31-10-2007 20:05:49

yeah.. earthquakes are really scary. glad that the damage is not much

hehehhehe

31-10-2007 20:52:34

[quote57df93837d="dmorris68"]Very much so. Chattanooga, being right on a virtually endless supply via the Tennessee River, is in great shape and having no water troubles at all. Atlanta, OTOH, being almost entirely dependent on the ever-shrinking Lake Lanier, is in pretty dire straits. We're somewhat better off than Atlanta since we get water from several sources in addition to Lake Lanier, including our own reservoir, however things are still awfully bad here. We had 3-4 days of blessed rain last week, but we're at such a deficit that it will hardly make a difference if it doesn't continue. Before last week I heard we had about 60 days of water left in the city. We've been at Level 4 restriction since 9/28, meaning NO private outside water usage whatsoever (no washing cars, filling pools, water play, etc.). If it continues getting worse, car washes and other business deemed non-essential to public good could be restricted as well.[/quote57df93837d]
That's cool that you've been able to use the occasion to learn to conserve resources.

I read about the ongoing problems between the state and the army corps of engineers pertaining to the water released from these lakes. The images of the water levels of the lake are unreal.

dmorris68

01-11-2007 07:17:03

[quoted5c674e8c0="hehehhehe"]I read about the ongoing problems between the state and the army corps of engineers pertaining to the water released from these lakes. The images of the water levels of the lake are unreal.[/quoted5c674e8c0]
Yeah, the governor has sued the Corps over their exclusive claim to a substantial amount of water from Lake Lanier. That water is diverted to waterways in Alabama and Florida to preserve an endangered mussel or some such esoteric aquatic species.

While I'm all for wildlife preservation, even when it means sacrifice, I think the governor has a point we're facing a potential human and economic catastrophe that could be significantly offset, if not avoided, were it not for siphoning off valuable water to save some mussel that 99% of people don't even know exists.

I've heard it said that World War III won't be over oil, land, ideology, or the other reasons usually blamed. It will be over water. I'm beginning to believe it.