Ticket

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=69979

stueybaby17

02-10-2007 14:48:17

So I got a ticket today on my motorcyle for not wearing eye protection.

I was comming down from campus which is less than 1 block away, and i just put my helmet on and drove down, not thinking of putting down my visor. Well as I was comming into the parking lot of my apartment (which is less than 1 block away) a cop followed me in and turned on his lights as I parked my bike. So I give him my information and I was being nice and cooperative and explained how I was comming from campus and forgot that I didn't put my visor down. And he goes back into his car and is doing some writing and he calls me over and gives me a ticket. I tried to talk to him about how I came from campus 1 block away and asked if he could cut me a break but his response was "I dont' know if you came from New Jersey." And he said sign here to acknowledge that you recieved a copy of the citation. I told him that I'd rather not sign but I'll just take the copy, and he said if you feel it's unfair there are instructions on how to plead not-guilty on the reverse side.

So I'm really pissed about all of this. And I plan on going to court and explaining to the judge that this was the first offence, I was only comming from 1 block away, and I didn't even realize my visor was up because I didn't exceed 10mph.

What are the chances that it might work?

manOFice

02-10-2007 14:50:56

wtf, giving you a ticket for not having a visor down, wtf is that. What harm did that cause? Stupid cops

Just tell the judge your visor was down.

stueybaby17

02-10-2007 14:52:29

[quotee7ad42047e="manOFice"]wtf, giving you a ticket for not having a visor down, wtf is that. What harm did that cause? Stupid cops

Just tell the judge your visor was down.[/quotee7ad42047e]

How would that work? Cuz the cop is gonna say no it wasn't. . . and who will the judge believe?

edit and I agree that it's really really dumb to give me a ticket while I was doing less than 10mph for 1 block. I understand the law however, it is to protect the operator and others from accidents caused by the operators diminished vision due to wind, insects, or dust in the eyes. But I was going 1 block and not fast enough to cause any problems of the sort.

ajasax

02-10-2007 15:09:04

You won't have any problem. The fee is probably trivial (like $15 or something), and probably no points. Just plead not guily, set up a court date, show up (cop won't show) and it gets thrown out. Easy D A cop isn't gonna bother taking time off to make sure you get punished for something so mundane.

stueybaby17

02-10-2007 15:35:34

Fee isn't too bad
Fine $25
EMS $10
Costs $32.50
Total $77.50

I still dont' want to pay it and I will set up a court date. If the cop shows up I plan to use examples like "Have you ever moved your car to a different parking spot and not put on your seatbelt because it was only 200yds away??" And also I plan to use the law against itself kinda... it is supposed to prevent diminished eyesight, so i'm gonna explain how at <10mph the wind isn't a factor and that a visor at that speed is actually harmful because it fogs up and you can't see.

Also, I'm gonna have to look this up. But from my understanding, if there is an error on the citation I can just bring that up and the case will automatically be won, right?? Well what about if the cop claims that I was operating my motorcycle on a highway and I was pulled over in an alley??

gmario

02-10-2007 15:43:57

One of them almost have me one for wearing my headphone again roll and for my license not being to visible shitty pigs!!!

CollidgeGraduit

02-10-2007 15:53:56

[quotedfbc6b0b65="gmario"]One of them almost have me one for wearing my headphone again roll and for my license not being to visible shitty pigs!!![/quotedfbc6b0b65]

There's a good reason you're not supposed to wear headphones while you drive a motor vehicle.

dmorris68

02-10-2007 16:10:16

[quote402ebdf62a="CollidgeGraduit"][quote402ebdf62a="gmario"]One of them almost have me one for wearing my headphone again roll and for my license not being to visible shitty pigs!!![/quote402ebdf62a]

There's a good reason you're not supposed to wear headphones while you drive a motor vehicle.[/quote402ebdf62a]
Exactly. Also a good reason for requiring eye protection.

The law makes perfect sense, and I'd have to say that unless the cop witnessed your departure point (campus) he has no way of knowing how far you've driven -- hence his "you could have come from NJ" comment. People will lie and say all sorts of BS to get out of a ticket, cops have heard it all. Now if he actually saw you ride only a block and still wants to be a hardass about it, then I'd agree he's probably being a jerk. But otherwise he's just doing his job. Technically, he'd be doing his job even being a jerk about it, because the law is the law and doesn't make exception for distance. However most cops are reasonable about such things.

Having said that If you can make the court appearance, do so. Whether the cop shows up or not, show up and explain it just like you did here. Don't try to lie and act like you were innocent -- the law is the law and judges don't like to hear you try to justify conscious disobedience. Just say it was an oversight due to the short travel distance, you understand the reason for the law and normally abide by it, yadda yadda. Be polite and sincere and I'd be surprised if the judge didn't reduce the fine if not toss it out. Even if he doesn't, you haven't lost anything but time for trying. That's of course assuming you don't have a history of traffic offenses.

Twon

02-10-2007 17:00:11

[quotebeea36f6c7="gmario"]shitty pigs!!![/quotebeea36f6c7]

flilik you man. You have no idea what kind of assholes we have to put up with on a daily basis.

gmario

02-10-2007 18:07:36

Well actually I do know what you guys have to put up with, I was going to major on criminal justice because I thought it was a interesting job, but then just seeing all the bs cops dealt with I decided it was not my things, so sorry you choose a job where you have to put with people bs all the time and that you took my post offensive since what I said is true in my view, since I know you can ride with one headphone in your ear not both of them, an if my tag was too log how did the cop see it an decided to waste my time? 8)

CollidgeGraduit

02-10-2007 18:21:00

[quote63b16495fd="gmario"]Well actually I do know what you guys have to put up with, I was going to major on criminal justice because I thought it was a interesting job, but then just seeing all the bs cops dealt with I decided it was not my things, so sorry you choose a job where you have to put with people bs all the time and that you took my post offensive since what I said is true in my view, since I know you can ride with one headphone in your ear not both of them, an if my tag was too log how did the cop see it an decided to waste my time? 8)[/quote63b16495fd]

Oh yeah, almost majoring in something is the equivalent of years of on the job experience.

gmario

02-10-2007 18:27:22

Your right good thing I didn't go that far then. wink

turbohim

02-10-2007 18:33:16

Pay it. Court will be a waste of your time.

good2speed

02-10-2007 18:43:02

[quote626cb671ba="dmorris68"]
If you can make the court appearance, do so. Whether the cop shows up or not, show up and explain it just like you did here. [b626cb671ba]Don't try to lie and act like you were innocent -- the law is the law and judges don't like to hear you try to justify conscious disobedience. [/color626cb671ba][/b626cb671ba] Just say it was an oversight due to the short travel distance, you understand the reason for the law and normally abide by it, yadda yadda. Be polite and sincere and I'd be surprised if the judge didn't reduce the fine if not toss it out.[/color626cb671ba] Even if he doesn't, you haven't lost anything but time for trying. That's of course assuming you don't have a history of traffic offenses.[/quote626cb671ba]

Couldnt have said it any better.

@stueybaby17 - follow what dmorris said highlighted in blue and you should either see the fine reduction or the ticket dismissed

Twon

02-10-2007 19:41:57

I would goto court. The cop that gave you that ticket is obviously on a power trip. He probably even doesn't expect that you will pay it. Go to court, don't lie, explain the situation, and it will get thrown out. I'm 95% sure of it.

stueybaby17

03-10-2007 08:54:22

[quotee0346f3a6c="dmorris68"][quotee0346f3a6c="CollidgeGraduit"][quotee0346f3a6c="gmario"]One of them almost have me one for wearing my headphone again roll and for my license not being to visible shitty pigs!!![/quotee0346f3a6c]

There's a good reason you're not supposed to wear headphones while you drive a motor vehicle.[/quotee0346f3a6c]
Exactly. Also a good reason for requiring eye protection.

The law makes perfect sense, and I'd have to say that unless the cop witnessed your departure point (campus) he has no way of knowing how far you've driven -- hence his "you could have come from NJ" comment. People will lie and say all sorts of BS to get out of a ticket, cops have heard it all. Now if he actually saw you ride only a block and still wants to be a hardass about it, then I'd agree he's probably being a jerk. But otherwise he's just doing his job. Technically, he'd be doing his job even being a jerk about it, because the law is the law and doesn't make exception for distance. However most cops are reasonable about such things.

Having said that If you can make the court appearance, do so. Whether the cop shows up or not, show up and explain it just like you did here. Don't try to lie and act like you were innocent -- the law is the law and judges don't like to hear you try to justify conscious disobedience. Just say it was an oversight due to the short travel distance, you understand the reason for the law and normally abide by it, yadda yadda. Be polite and sincere and I'd be surprised if the judge didn't reduce the fine if not toss it out. Even if he doesn't, you haven't lost anything but time for trying. That's of course assuming you don't have a history of traffic offenses.[/quotee0346f3a6c]

That is what I plan on doing. I'm not going to lie because 1. I dont' like to do that because that is wrong. 2. It's my word against a cops. I plan on just going and telling the judge pretty much the same thing you said. In fact I might use your wording because you sound smarter than me.

I was actually thinking of asking about a trial by mail. I'm not sure if they do that in PA or not. But I'm going to the courthouse in a few minutes and I'm gonna ask and tell them it's because I have a busy schedule in school and dont' wanna miss classes or work because of it.

stueybaby17

03-10-2007 10:36:04

I went to the magistrates office and found out there there is no such thing as a trial by mail in PA. But I got a court date set for 11/13 and because I went in person I didn't have to pay the fine yet.

I also thought of a great way to prove that I didn't come from New Jersey. I had just been at the Commons eating and I decided that i would go for a premium meal which costs extra, so I have a transaction on my meal plan that I can print out stating that I paid for Chicken Parmesan at 447pm which is just 18 minutes before the ticket was written. And if you factor in 10-15 minutes to eat you can be pretty sure that i didn't travel from New Jersey in 3-8 minutes.

good2speed

03-10-2007 10:45:45

[quote0a193bca48="stueybaby17"]I went to the magistrates office and found out there there is no such thing as a trial by mail in PA. But I got a court date set for 11/13 and because I went in person I didn't have to pay the fine yet.

I also thought of a great way to prove that I didn't come from New Jersey. I had just been at the Commons eating and I decided that i would go for a premium meal which costs extra, so I have a transaction on my meal plan that I can print out stating that I paid for Chicken Parmesan at 447pm which is just 18 minutes before the ticket was written. And if you factor in 10-15 minutes to eat you can be pretty sure that i didn't travel from New Jersey in 3-8 minutes.[/quote0a193bca48]

oh my.. Dmorris tried to explain this. Regardless if you came from jupiter or were just driving one block the judge doesn't care. You are basically saying yes Im guilty for not having my visor down but you should make an exception because of the short distance. Dont do that.

Just say that you normally wear the visor down but due to oversight you neglected to do so on a short journey home. Dont try to overstate your distance case though since you will be incriminating yourself. The judge will somehow percieve this as you saying it is ok for someone to not follow the law if the distance traveled is minimal.

You're not in a position to fight the equality of the law and how it relates to total distance traveled. Like Dmorris said the law is the law and you have to abide by it. Think of a guy driving a car to his friends house 4 houses away. While traveling he does not fasten his seatbelt and is pulled over by an officer. The driver in this case is still guilty regardless of distance traveled since traffic laws state you must wear a seatbelt while driving a vehicle.

ajasax

03-10-2007 11:52:50

^^ Exactly. The judge doesn't want to hear excuses [i7ae9794006]why[/i7ae9794006] you didn't follow the law. It makes no difference. Simply reiterate what's been said here and act mature and professional.

I wouldn't worry too much about the actual trial though. I had 2 tickets in one stop -- following too close, and speeding. They both got thrown out since the cop didn't show up. There was another lady there too who had hers thrown out. There were no cops AT ALL there.

Cops are lazy when it comes to actually going to trial. When they stop people, they [i7ae9794006]hope[/i7ae9794006] they just pay the ticket and take the points. This is why it's always pretty empty in traffic court. No one defends themselves roll

biglee2007

03-10-2007 14:50:39

Like so many others have said just go to court and tell the judge the truth...not every body in the law enforcement is out to get you. Your young and its a stupid ticket it'll probably get dismissed unless you have had plenty of other tickets or have gotten into trouble with the law before.

Quadracer89

04-10-2007 12:35:35

I really hate cops..

I got pulled over last week because my tail light was out (which it wasn't.. all three are perfectly working) and got a ticket for showing him an outdated insurance card! I didn't even know I gave him the wrong one. After he handed me the ticket, I told him I must of gave him the wrong card and gave him my current upto date one and his response was "I can't do anything about it.. The citation is in the system now" WTF IS THAT! Cops are PIGS. End of story.

manOFice

04-10-2007 12:50:49

[quote71cd6000cc="Quadracer89"]I really hate cops..

I got pulled over last week because my tail light was out (which it wasn't.. all three are perfectly working) and got a ticket for showing him an outdated insurance card! I didn't even know I gave him the wrong one. After he handed me the ticket, I told him I must of gave him the wrong card and gave him my current upto date one and his response was "I can't do anything about it.. The citation is in the system now" WTF IS THAT! Cops are PIGS. End of story.[/quote71cd6000cc]

Well thats just a easy throw out the window in court ticket though ;)

TryinToGetPaid

04-10-2007 12:55:27

That is when you take down his badge number and name and file a formal complaint.