Another reminder to drive safe...

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=69622

slambam

21-09-2007 12:52:22

Yesterday afternoon at the high school I graduated from a couple years ago, two kids were hit by a car driven by another student and one was killed, as they tried to cross the street. Just another reminder, especially around schools, to take your time. If you slow down at least when students are present it'll delay your drive about 20 seconds. Now a 16 year old has the thoughts that she caused a death and severe injuries to two people, a 15 year old girl is gone, a 15 year old boy is sitting in the hospital after surgery, and a school is in mourning, not to mention how all the families feel.

http//www.kwwl.com/News/index.php?ID=15355

jeagle82

21-09-2007 12:55:55

Wow, that's such a shame! I wonder if the girl driving was speeding, or the it's how it sounds according to her boyfriend that the two students stepped out from behind a bus at the last second. Anyways, it's always a shame to see a life taken over something like this.

Twon

21-09-2007 16:56:43

I just heard on the radio yesterday (yes the radio) that my cousin has been formally charged for drunk driving. About a month ago, he rolled the van he was driving. The passanger (his friend) was killed instantly... He already has his left arm paralyzed from a motorcycle accident when he was 18...

Senseless...

Berky34

21-09-2007 17:02:18

yeah ive lost a friend from someone else running from the police and going through a red light. dude thought it would be a good idea to run a red light when my friend happened to be going through the intersection at that time. other friend in the car was predicted to be in a permanent vegetative state but has surpassed all our expectations and is now actually coming to school for half days with us and making wonderful progress, we're all really proud of him.
please drive safe people

LLee93

21-09-2007 17:57:49

I'm disabled for life because I chose to drink & drive. I broke my neck & it left me paralyzed from the neck down. I was in the exact same condition as Christopher Reeves. By the grace of God I have regained my ability to walk & take care of myself. I still have major problems, but it could be so much worse. I don't get depressed, & I thank God every day for what I have. Please think before you drink & drive.

Twon

21-09-2007 18:19:07

[quotebe234b65d1="LLee93"]I'm disabled for life because I chose to drink & drive. I broke my neck & it left me paralyzed from the neck down. I was in the exact same condition as Christopher Reeves. By the grace of God I have regained my ability to walk & take care of myself. I still have major problems, but it could be so much worse. I don't get depressed, & I thank God every day for what I have. Please think before you drink & drive.[/quotebe234b65d1]

How old were you when it happened?

LLee93

21-09-2007 19:22:39

I had been 21 for about three months. It was unfortunately just part of the life I was leading. We partied hard all the time. Blake Shelton has a song out that says the more I drink, the more I drink. That was me. Thankfully the only person I hurt was me. My roommate at the rehab center killed his best friend drinking & driving.

Twon

21-09-2007 19:46:42

I drank and drove quite a bit in high school until my best female friend punched me in the face one night. After that I realized that I was hurting other people by doing it and I stopped.

LLee93

21-09-2007 20:26:11

I didn't have that because all my friends & even family were partiers. The night I got hurt kind of sums it up. Someone that didn't know said they saw me that night, & that I was messed up. The friends with me that weren't really drunk said I wasn't that bad.

slambam

21-09-2007 22:40:25

As long as people learn there lesson. I look in the paper all the time and see 2nd or even 3rd DUI convictions. One time I even saw one guy who got his 2nd and 3rd about a week apart. Some people just never learn.

The worst part for other students in this case is that since it happened right in front of the school, so a lot of people witnessed it happen.

JennyWren

22-09-2007 10:57:02

I just don't get it, maybe it's cuz I only drink a couple of times a year. For me, if you know you are going someplace with alcohol, and you know you won't be able to say no to it, don't take your fuckin' car with you. Make those kinds of decisions while you are still sober, then the option of choosing to D&D isn't available to you at the end of the night.

D&D is murder, premeditated, because you chose to put yourself in that situation.

Just an opinion, sorry if I come off a little harsh. Even when people aren't drinking, they seem to be blissfully unaware that they are operating an 800lb bullet at 60km an hour. I ride my bike regularly and I've been almost hit so many times.

good2speed

22-09-2007 11:34:57

[quote958c0b6bb7="JennyWren"]
D&D is murder, premeditated, because you chose to put yourself in that situation.
[/quote958c0b6bb7]

lol. This is funny. Not saying Im for drunk drivers but your logic is just funny for me. While drunk driving may be unlawful, dangerous, and even at times fatal it's hard for me to compare it with premeditated murder.

I think the term you are looking for is negligent manslaughter.

[quote958c0b6bb7]Premeditated murder is the crime of wrongfully causing the death of another human being (also known as murder) after rationally considering the timing or method of doing so, in order to either increase the likelihood of success, or to evade detection or apprehension.[/quote958c0b6bb7]

I seriously doubt you could prove to a court of law that a HS drunk planned on taking someone out on his way home. He may be charged with a litany of offenses that range from manslaughter to reckless driving but I hardly think youd be able to get a premeditated murder conviction against him.

[quote958c0b6bb7="JennyWren"]
Even when people aren't drinking, they seem to be blissfully unaware that they are operating an 800lb bullet at 60km an hour. I ride my bike regularly and I've been almost hit so many times.[/quote958c0b6bb7]

You may be right. My cars curb side weight is 2,734-2,855lbs and Im usually traveling at 60+mph, not km, on the highway. If you want to see some funny bike accidents you got to come to Manhattan or better yet go overseas to like India or China. I love how the bikers will try to move along with the traffic on congested streets.

Gigante

22-09-2007 12:04:24

[quote07106280f8="slambam"] Now a 16 year old has the thoughts that she caused a death and severe injuries to two people[/quote07106280f8]

Well she should feel that way since she did...