Intermediate accounting ****UPDATE****

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=68742

michae229

28-08-2007 15:40:53

Well im in this class and want to know if any of you guys have any tips or tricks in studying for it?

TFOAF

28-08-2007 15:43:25

I took two accounting courses throughout high school (college level), but I don't know what you'll be learning in that class, lol.

CollidgeGraduit

28-08-2007 16:20:33

Yeah I don't know either, lol

skepticalcynic

28-08-2007 17:21:32

I handle all of my company's accounting. Best tip - triple check everything and pay attention to your fingers when you hit the calculator keys! The worst thing you can do in accounting is make a "typo" - even if it makes you work a little slower - better to be right than fast.

Any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

stueybaby17

28-08-2007 17:23:46

I assume you'll be learning a lot about FASB and the AICPA in the beginning. Take your time and actually learn this stuff. You'll see it alot and there are some questions on the CPA exam about it.

Practice Time Value of Money ALOT! Even when you think you have it down, keep doing it. It's one of those things you will see everywhere. Intermediate 1,2,3 will all have it. Along with finance and a lot of other classes.

I personally believe Intermediate was the hardest accounting class I've had thus far and I'm right now taking a mix of junior and senior accounting classes.

Make sure you do the homework. Not just go over it in class or look at the solution. Because although you think you might know the work, you wont' really remember when it comes time to do it yourself from the beginning.

michae229

28-08-2007 17:33:39

[quotee5d1b7d8c6="stueybaby17"]I assume you'll be learning a lot about FASB and the AICPA in the beginning. Take your time and actually learn this stuff. You'll see it alot and there are some questions on the CPA exam about it.

Practice Time Value of Money ALOT! Even when you think you have it down, keep doing it. It's one of those things you will see everywhere. Intermediate 1,2,3 will all have it. Along with finance and a lot of other classes.

I personally believe Intermediate was the hardest accounting class I've had thus far and I'm right now taking a mix of junior and senior accounting classes.

Make sure you do the homework. Not just go over it in class or look at the solution. Because although you think you might know the work, you wont' really remember when it comes time to do it yourself from the beginning.[/quotee5d1b7d8c6]

aight, yea i know what you mean i cant believe i remember the basics from financial just have a hard time remembering stuff we are doing basics now. do you just keep doing the problems over and over?

zdub08

28-08-2007 17:59:20

[quoteff267d4c19="CollidgeGraduit"]Yeah I don't know either, lol[/quoteff267d4c19]
lol, you have to brag before your pointless post, lol

tylerc

28-08-2007 18:44:16

Watch for transposing numbers and pay attention to the small mistakes. Most of the time when I had the wrong answers in high school accounting I made it "$5,956" instead of "$5,965" or I read the columns wrong and put it in a credit or something like that.

TFOAF

28-08-2007 20:57:29

^ Yup. And when cents came into play...they were such a pain in the ass.

stueybaby17

30-08-2007 14:09:30

[quote26cdd868ed="michae229"][quote26cdd868ed="stueybaby17"]I assume you'll be learning a lot about FASB and the AICPA in the beginning. Take your time and actually learn this stuff. You'll see it alot and there are some questions on the CPA exam about it.

Make sure you do the homework. Not just go over it in class or look at the solution. Because although you think you might know the work, you wont' really remember when it comes time to do it yourself from the beginning.[/quote26cdd868ed]

aight, yea i know what you mean i cant believe i remember the basics from financial just have a hard time remembering stuff we are doing basics now. do you just keep doing the problems over and over?[/quote26cdd868ed]

I do the a few different types a problems. And then I take a break and maybe a different day I do the same problems. And I just keep doing that untill I feel 100% comfortable with them. Then I wait a few days and try new and similar problems. If I have no problems with it, I know I"m ready.

TFOAF

30-08-2007 14:24:06

Sure...let the accounting major show off his skills. D

Big War Bird

30-08-2007 16:46:40

Memorize the rules and learn to apply them. The only trick is staying awake in class.

ilanbg

30-08-2007 18:03:36

[quotefa60b9932e="Big War Bird"]Memorize the rules and learn to apply them. The only trick is staying awake in class.[/quotefa60b9932e]

For fuck's sake, why didn't I think of this?

No more failing school for me!

Big War Bird

30-08-2007 18:15:20

[quote5baebca9c3="ilanbg"][quote5baebca9c3="Big War Bird"]Memorize the rules and learn to apply them. The only trick is staying awake in class.[/quote5baebca9c3]

For fuck's sake, why didn't I think of this?

No more failing school for me![/quote5baebca9c3]

No kidding. I wish someone have told me this a little earlier too. oops

djmoksha

31-08-2007 07:53:48

don't get discouraged if you do poorly on the exams. this class was freaking hard. i went into the final exam with a B average, the exam was 26 word problems (intermediate accounting II - we had a year long class). the prof said we could drop any 8 questions. i ended up dropping 18 questions because i just didnt have time to answer them, and overall in the class i got a B+

i took this along side with regular finance, and i always found the accounting class to be a step ahead of finance.

michae229

31-08-2007 08:02:37

[quotea6d5746af6="djmoksha"]don't get discouraged if you do poorly on the exams. this class was freaking hard. i went into the final exam with a B average, the exam was 26 word problems (intermediate accounting II - we had a year long class). the prof said we could drop any 8 questions. i ended up dropping 18 questions because i just didnt have time to answer them, and overall in the class i got a B+

i took this along side with regular finance, and i always found the accounting class to be a step ahead of finance.[/quotea6d5746af6]

thanks for the advice

manOFice

31-08-2007 08:17:01

Freshman year in college I had to take account ( never had account experience before that) and my teacher was horrible and I ended up failing. I took it again next semester with a different teach and ended up getting like a B+ or some shit, account can be easy if you have a good teacher

michae229

12-12-2007 10:55:44

class was fun i didn't think it was that bad. I could have gotten an A but the first test killed me. I tried to get a 100 on the final but as you can see at it i missed 4 more than i needed to. Thanks guys for your input at the start I did what you guys said and it worked.

Practice Problem 20
Review Exam 40.00
FARS 20
Exam 1 raw score 60
Exam 1 curved score 70.00
Exam 2 raw score 85
Exam 2 Curved Score 88
Final_exam_raw% 82
Final_exam_curve% 92
Course percentage 86.575
Letter Grade B

good2speed

12-12-2007 11:18:28

accounting is cake. You shouldve got an A

tylerc

12-12-2007 14:38:05

Are you ever not a dick? Some things aren't for certain people, and accounting is one of those things you either get or you don't.

Writing is cake for me, some people suck at it. Calculus is cake for some people, I suck at it, and worked my ass off to get a B- this semester.

EatChex89

12-12-2007 15:26:53

I am a backup bookkeeper/accountant at Safeway and like someone said previously, keeping an eye on the numbers your fingers are hitting on the calculator is key. I have made many a mistake with the calculator. If you have a pre-balance worksheet, make sure you fill in all the values that are applicable. Another reason for high over/shorts.

babetran

13-12-2007 08:29:38

I graduated with BS in Accounting. But honestly, I don't even remember what I learned from those classes. lol...

michae229

13-12-2007 08:37:39

[quote2a7c8871cb="babetran"]I graduated with BS in Accounting. But honestly, I don't even remember what I learned from those classes. lol...[/quote2a7c8871cb]

damn your young when you finish and what are you doing now?

good2speed

14-12-2007 12:54:06

[quote3ec6dfde53="tylerc"]Are you ever not a dick? Some things aren't for certain people, and accounting is one of those things you either get or you don't.

Writing is cake for me, some people suck at it. Calculus is cake for some people, I suck at it, and worked my ass off to get a B- this semester.[/quote3ec6dfde53]

sorry I suppose I just take after my father. My dad was never satisfied with anything less then an A. If i ever told him I got a B+ in a class he would look at me in astonishment. He would then say that he's sure if I worked harder I could easily have got an A. After a while, I suppose this just became embedded into my thinking. In college, I myself was not satisfied with anything less then an A. If I got any grade below an A I knew it was my fault for not working harder to achieve that A.

I suppose what my dad taught me is that you should never be satisfied with being average and should always strive for excellence. I apologize if my post came off as arrogant.

Gigante

14-12-2007 12:57:38

[quoteb1e2078a67="good2speed"][quoteb1e2078a67="tylerc"]Are you ever not a dick? Some things aren't for certain people, and accounting is one of those things you either get or you don't.

Writing is cake for me, some people suck at it. Calculus is cake for some people, I suck at it, and worked my ass off to get a B- this semester.[/quoteb1e2078a67]

sorry I suppose I just take after my father. My dad was never satisfied with anything less then an A. If i ever told him I got a B+ in a class he would look at me in astonishment. He would then say that he's sure if I worked harder I could easily have got an A. After a while, I suppose this just became embedded into my thinking. In college, I myself was not satisfied with anything less then an A. If I got any grade below an A I knew it was my fault for not working harder to achieve that A.

I suppose what my dad taught me is that you should never be satisfied with being average and should always strive for excellence. I apologize if my post came off as arrogant.[/quoteb1e2078a67]

You should have gone to a college where "Your best is never good enough" then for the challenge instead of a school for an easy A. If you get an A, you didn't really learn as much as you could have.

good2speed

14-12-2007 13:06:24

[quote67050d974e="Gigante"]
You should have gone to a college where "Your best is never good enough" then for the challenge instead of a school for an easy A. If you get an A, you didn't really learn as much as you could have.[/quote67050d974e]

Where did you surmise that? Are you just being argumentive or picking on something that isnt there?

If you can get an A in a class by sleeping then all the power to you. I never once said even if you get an A then your best is not good enough. If you get a B in a class I'm sure there is something you could've done to up your grade.

If you think getting a B is the best you can do then you are either not studying correctly or not working hard enough.

My post explained about striving for the best. It was not about trying to learn everyhting under the sun. All I said was to strive for the best under a given circumstance. Where you got the notion that 'your best is not good enough' is beyond me.

doylnea

14-12-2007 14:12:40

[quoteb12923c523="good2speed"][quoteb12923c523="Gigante"]
You should have gone to a college where "Your best is never good enough" then for the challenge instead of a school for an easy A. If you get an A, you didn't really learn as much as you could have.[/quoteb12923c523]

Where did you surmise that? Are you just being argumentive or picking on something that isnt there?

If you can get an A in a class by sleeping then all the power to you. I never once said even if you get an A then your best is not good enough. If you get a B in a class I'm sure there is something you could've done to up your grade.

If you think getting a B is the best you can do then you are either not studying correctly or not working hard enough.

My post explained about striving for the best. It was not about trying to learn everyhting under the sun. All I said was to strive for the best under a given circumstance. Where you got the notion that 'your best is not good enough' is beyond me.[/quoteb12923c523]

Clearly you weren't/aren't an engineer or an architect. If you were/are, you'd know that many, many, many engineering and architecture classes give Bs as their highest grades, because no-one can possibly learn everything.

hehehhehe

14-12-2007 14:23:22

[quote65db500710="michae229"]
Practice Problem 20
Review Exam 40.00
FARS 20
Exam 1 raw score 60
Exam 1 curved score 70.00
Exam 2 raw score 85
Exam 2 Curved Score 88
Final_exam_raw% 82
Final_exam_curve% 92
Course percentage 86.575
Letter Grade B[/quote65db500710]
Either you screwed around or didn't have a grasp of the class in the beginning but it shows you got it in the end and that's what matters.

goof

16-12-2007 10:01:23

[quoteeeecaa68f1="doylnea"][quoteeeecaa68f1="good2speed"][quoteeeecaa68f1="Gigante"]
You should have gone to a college where "Your best is never good enough" then for the challenge instead of a school for an easy A. If you get an A, you didn't really learn as much as you could have.[/quoteeeecaa68f1]

My post explained about striving for the best. It was not about trying to learn everyhting under the sun. All I said was to strive for the best under a given circumstance. Where you got the notion that 'your best is not good enough' is beyond me.[/quoteeeecaa68f1]

Clearly you weren't/aren't an engineer or an architect. If you were/are, you'd know that many, many, many engineering and architecture classes give Bs as their highest grades, because no-one can possibly learn everything.[/quoteeeecaa68f1]

True that, I'm doin engineering now and classes aren't a cake walk for sure. I'm actually thinkin abotu switchin majors after next year s