What are my chances? School question

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=68544

topbillin1

23-08-2007 09:49:52

Okay, I signed up for classes thru my local community college. I got financial aid to cover everything since I'm far from a rich man. However, I signed up for College algebra becuase it's on my degree path as a course I have to take.

I know nothing about algebra at all, I never took Introduction to Algebra, nor Intermediate Algebra either. I spoke to my instructor and he advised me to drop out since I need to be realistic about this, having no experience in Algebra then jumping into College Algebra isn't a smart move.

My question is do you think I have a chance on passing this class without any experience in Algebra? Do you think I can catch up that fast and possibly understand Algebra in a matter of weeks? If I buy a Introduction to Algebra book, can I possibly understand Algebra enough to pass the class?

Or should I drop out? Then plan on taking it some other time when I can understand it better. I can withdraw with any penalty before the 26th, after that I have to stay in the class or if I drop out the class, I have to pay back financial aid.

my aim is keiser3616

michae229

23-08-2007 09:55:20

[quote2cb5ee12c8="topbillin1"]Okay, I signed up for classes thru my local community college. I got financial aid to cover everything since I'm far from a rich man. However, I signed up for College algebra becuase it's on my degree path as a course I have to take.

I know nothing about algebra at all, I never took Introduction to Algebra, nor Intermediate Algebra either. I spoke to my instructor and he advised me to drop out since I need to be realistic about this, having no experience in Algebra then jumping into College Algebra isn't a smart move.

My question is do you think I have a chance on passing this class without any experience in Algebra? Do you think I can catch up that fast and possibly understand Algebra in a matter of weeks? If I buy a Introduction to Algebra book, can I possibly understand Algebra enough to pass the class?

Or should I drop out? Then plan on taking it some other time when I can understand it better. I can withdraw with any penalty before the 26th, after that I have to stay in the class or if I drop out the class, I have to pay back financial aid.

my aim is keiser3616[/quote2cb5ee12c8]

they explain how to do all the problems if you study hard you will pass and go to tutoring.

dmorris68

23-08-2007 10:00:17

I'd listen to your instructor and suggest dropping it since you really have nothing to lose, versus what you can lose by not dropping and getting in over your head. Trust me, having a GPA setback is very difficult to recover from. The damn thing goes down a helluva lot easier than it goes up.

If you're a whiz at math it will be easy, but I suspect you aren't since you've avoided taking it this long. Which is strange, because around here I don't think you can graduate H.S. without at least a beginning Algebra class -- it's required by the state I think. In fact I think some basic Algebra is on the state graduation exam that is required to earn a diploma here.

Do you understand simple concepts such as

x=5
x+10 = ?

or

solve for X x = 10 / 2

Not just being able to mentally figure the answers, but actually to break it down on paper and show your work? If not, then I strongly suggest you look into a remedial or pre-algebra class.

manOFice

23-08-2007 10:03:59

my college algebra was a breeze but I did have some experience but they do teach/help you

topbillin1

23-08-2007 10:13:47

I might just go ahead and drop the class then, I don't understand alot of what's in the book. I'll concentrate on moving and once I'm settled I'll go back to school. I won't risk it like this.

manOFice

23-08-2007 10:25:52

Just wondering how your high schooling was if they didn't teach you any algebra?

jdizzle314

23-08-2007 11:05:25

I dont mean to make fun of anyone but how the fuck do you not learn algebra in HS /

manOFice

23-08-2007 11:11:26

[quote04e5f19586="jdizzle314"]I dont mean to make fun of anyone but how the fuck do you not learn algebra in HS /[/quote04e5f19586]

Agreed... I mean my high school went up to pre calc which I was in to even regular calc... algebra was way lower than that stuff

Skimboarder

23-08-2007 11:17:56

In my high school, Pre-Algebra was the lowest math class you could take (besides Special Ed. math) and we went up to AP Calculus and AP Statistics.

topbillin1

23-08-2007 11:21:52

I got my GED in 94

manOFice

23-08-2007 11:27:29

[quote20006eed79="topbillin1"]I got my GED in 94[/quote20006eed79]

ohhh OK, you're a bit older then huh?

EatChex89

23-08-2007 11:27:34

Let me tell you, I didn't even take College Algebra since I heard that it was really hard. I took intermediate algebra and got a B. Intermediate is more of the algebra you are familiar with - the basic equations.

Double check that college algebra is what you HAVE to take. Instead of college algebra, I was able to take Statistics which is an easier course by far. (Statistics is formulas - know what formula to use and plug in the numbers!)

manOFice

23-08-2007 11:29:21

[quoteca273f526d="EatChex89"]Let me tell you, I didn't even take College Algebra since I heard that it was really hard. I took intermediate algebra and got a B. Intermediate is more of the algebra you are familiar with - the basic equations.

Double check that college algebra is what you HAVE to take. Instead of college algebra, I was able to take Statistics which is an easier course by far. (Statistics is formulas - know what formula to use and plug in the numbers!)[/quoteca273f526d]

I took stats freshman year before I took college algebra and had no problems in either.

Skimboarder

23-08-2007 11:34:17

If you don't have to take stats, don't. It is a pointless class and will bore you to death. It's hardly even math.

topbillin1

23-08-2007 11:41:07

I dropped the class, dropped both and will refund financial aid, I'm a bit too far behind to attend school right now. I'm relocate first, then re-attend in the future.

gmario

23-08-2007 11:45:59

[quotec79d5eed5e="topbillin1"]Okay, I signed up for classes thru my local community college. I got financial aid to cover everything since I'm far from a rich man. However, I signed up for College algebra becuase it's on my degree path as a course I have to take.

my aim is keiser3616[/quotec79d5eed5e]

Just don't drop to many classes or say biebie to FINANCIAL AID.

Skimboarder

23-08-2007 11:46:12

Smart choice. Good luck in the future.

topbillin1

23-08-2007 11:51:05

[quote5d7a7f8b35="gmario"][quote5d7a7f8b35="topbillin1"]Okay, I signed up for classes thru my local community college. I got financial aid to cover everything since I'm far from a rich man. However, I signed up for College algebra becuase it's on my degree path as a course I have to take.

my aim is keiser3616[/quote5d7a7f8b35]

Just don't drop to many classes or say biebie to FINANCIAL AID.[/quote5d7a7f8b35]

It really doesn't even matter in they decide to drop me right now...

michae229

23-08-2007 11:52:11

I would say stay because those lower math class dont go toward any degrees but hey if your classes are free then go for it

EatChex89

23-08-2007 11:58:04

[quotecce0f2b877="michae229"]I would say stay because those lower math class dont go toward any degrees but hey if your classes are free then go for it[/quotecce0f2b877]

My intermediate algebra counted under something for a transfer to CSULB.. lishrugli. Which means it counts towards my future bachelors..

michae229

23-08-2007 12:47:09

[quotea5faa3db13="EatChex89"][quotea5faa3db13="michae229"]I would say stay because those lower math class dont go toward any degrees but hey if your classes are free then go for it[/quotea5faa3db13]

My intermediate algebra counted under something for a transfer to CSULB.. lishrugli. Which means it counts towards my future bachelors..[/quotea5faa3db13]

guess thats for your state in mine its a remedial class and it goes to nothing.....