new site www.musicvideobattles.com(just a vote site,notref)

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=68157

djmoksha

14-08-2007 11:50:16

hey,

i made this really random website 2 days ago, and its voting based, but i was wondering if i was allowed to post a link to it here and promote it?

Jams44

14-08-2007 19:13:54

well, you already started a thread about it so...

djmoksha

15-08-2007 07:09:03

word, i just dont want to get any shit for self promotion

the website is www.musicvideobattles.com

basically we put up 2 music videos each week (more often if we get more people to vote) and they get voted on.

the first 2 battles are rated on badness, both battles have 80s pop videos. and they are awful, ha.

just started this for fun, hopefully people here will check it out.

dmorris68

15-08-2007 08:04:27

If it's a personal website, used for hobby purposes and not revenue generation, I don't think any of us would have a problem with it. If you are however looking to generate revenue by driving traffic to your site, and certainly if you are selling anything OR promoting your freebie reflinks on your site, then it's not going to be allowed.

Right now your link isn't working for me, so I can't really look at it to give you a firm answer.

djmoksha

15-08-2007 10:35:54

It's a personal website, I put a google ad sidebar on the side which by no means do you have to click on, but what I am trying to do is just build up popularity of the site. pretty hilarious actually

Lunarpages was having some problems this morning with wordpress, try it now, should be working. let me know if it's ok to keep the link up

KnightTrader

15-08-2007 16:15:35

My opinion- If you actually got the site coded specifically for your sites purpose (Music video battles through a voting system) rather then using word press, it'd look a lot better. + Get a custom header.

djmoksha

15-08-2007 21:28:03

knight trader,

i am going to work on that, thanks for the suggestion. i literally just threw it up there a few days ago, and have been running around since.

can you pm me with what you mean specifically? i'm not well versed in advanced coding stuff (or even moderate coding).

is the concept good? funny?

guelah75

15-08-2007 21:41:40

good site, i clicked some ad's for you to ;)

ajasax

15-08-2007 22:20:01

[quote0111a4b3f1="djmoksha"]knight trader,

i am going to work on that, thanks for the suggestion. i literally just threw it up there a few days ago, and have been running around since.

can you pm me with what you mean specifically? i'm not well versed in advanced coding stuff (or even moderate coding).

is the concept good? funny?[/quote0111a4b3f1]
I think he means if you want your website to be unique, you need to code it from scratch instead of using some template. Otherwise, it kinda looks like a gimmick just to get ad revenue.

djmoksha

16-08-2007 06:17:24

ah ok, i will work on a scratch wordpress template, and try to get it more customized. i know it looks kind of crappy right now, but everyone loves those awful 80s videos, and im sure we can get some other categories going too.

anyone have experience customizing wordpress so it looks like a regular site, but with wordpress as the backend?

djmoksha

27-08-2007 16:43:35

ok i just ended up trashing wordpress, and starting from scratch. its very basic, but hopefully the neon 80s theme will make people vote more.

any takers?

www.musicvideobattles.com

this week's battle is pretty hilarious

i'm still working on getting the old video pages linked and the about page worked out

EatChex89

27-08-2007 17:50:58

I'm not sure if you can legally display those videos on your site.

I would definitely look into it if you begin to see your site grow.

djmoksha

27-08-2007 19:16:01

ok thanks eatchex89

that is a really good point, i will have to figure this part out. actually some of the videos have been pulled from youtube and i had to relink to other versions, are the videos not legal to display on youtube at all? or just because i am embedding them in the site?

Skimboarder

27-08-2007 22:26:28

I gotta say I like your site. Very interesting and cool. You even got my vote. lol

FreeOffersNow

28-08-2007 08:03:48

Looks like you've got the folks in the header pretty well segregated...might want to do something about that?

djmoksha

28-08-2007 09:28:10

FreeOffersNow those are the guys from the first battles, im working on getting the old battles section up online.

do you mean racially segregated? or me just being bad at photoshop? if anyone wants to help with the site, i would really appreciate it, this is just a fun sideproject i thought people would think is funny

thanks in advance for the votes

djmoksha

26-09-2007 08:58:33

any more people interested in voting on my site? i put up new battles each week