keyboard

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=67247

Twon

26-07-2007 08:01:12

Is it hard to change the keyboard on a laptop?

egyptianruin

26-07-2007 08:04:33

I just had mine done by Best Buy cause I didnt want to risk it, they also replaced the entire front cover over the LCD and the LCD screen too, so I don't know what happened, lol. I thought it would have been easy but who knows maybe they beat it before putting the keyboard in.

jeagle82

26-07-2007 08:06:42

No, it's not hard at all, if you know what you're doing. It just takes a flat-head screw driver to pry off the keyboard and sometimes a couple of screws need to be removed. If you know what you're doing, you can replace your laptop keyboard in under 10 minutes, max.

But, if you don't know what you're doing at all, it's best to let a professional do it.

manOFice

26-07-2007 08:07:27

T-T-T-Tech yourself up!

ps it's not really hard.

Twon

26-07-2007 08:12:26

I think I will try to do it myself. I'll do some googleing... For some reason my wife let my son get a hold of my new laptop (received from giftmonster D ) and now I need a new keyboard. Took me a long time to type this.

dmorris68

26-07-2007 11:54:18

If it's just sticky due to a spill, you can try the old alcohol submersion bath (after you remove it from the laptop). A bottle of 90% or denatured alcohol is a lot cheaper than a new keyboard.

Just fill up a shallow dish large enough for the keyboard to soak in, and cover it over using as a pure an alcohol as you can find (avoid 70% isopropyl, or you'll probably get a residue from the moisturizers -- look for 90% or higher at your drugstore). Let the keyboard soak for several hours, overnight is best. Swish it around occasionally to dislodge the gunk loosened up by the alcohol -- you'll be surprised at all the stuff that comes out. Then remove it from the alcohol and let it air dry for a few hours. I've used this trick to rescue several cellphones and TV remotes from spills before. It's also good for fixing a cellphone or something dropped in water, IF you can get the battery out before it fries itself. The alcohol submersion will displace the water, and then evaporate quickly as it dries out, leaving a thoroughly dry (and hopefully working) device.

Tholek

26-07-2007 12:24:54

Yeah, I've recommended that to a few people in the past. It saved a Cruzer Micro of mine recently after a drop into my favorite beverage. ;)

There is one issue with cellphones, though. I've read that moisture reactive stickers exist in some cellphones for warranty validation purposes. I'd give dunking a cell a second thought if you plan on relying on that warranty.

Wolfeman

26-07-2007 12:46:36

Don't take it to BB or Geek Squad. Support a local mom and pop repair shop. They are usually smarter and cheaper...

Tholek

26-07-2007 13:20:39

[quote6f1d6f56b3="Wolfeman"]Don't take it to BB or Geek Squad. Support a local mom and pop repair shop. They are usually smarter and cheaper...[/quote6f1d6f56b3]

While I like supporting the small guy over the big corporations, many small shops cut corners with parts and quality of labor. You need to research them to find one that's got a good rep. I wouldn't just walk into one willy-nilly these days.

hehehhehe

26-07-2007 13:31:52

On the laptops I've had, the keyboards have always been removable pretty easily (google and see if there are instructions for your laptop). A quick way to know is to just try to find a replacement KB to buy (don't buy it though). If removable, take it out and do the alcohol bath like dmorris suggested. I've cleaned one of mine before but didn't use alcohol, which would've been much easier.

Wolfeman

26-07-2007 13:40:30

Replacing the LCD is fun dance

JOSHBOX

26-07-2007 14:04:05

I work for Geek Squad and the quality of service you get over there is worth it. You may pay a little bit more but you get a professional premiums service and dont have to worry about the liability of damaging your own computer.

Twon

26-07-2007 22:06:38

[quoted160339f1e="dmorris68"]If it's just sticky due to a spill, you can try the old alcohol submersion bath (after you remove it from the laptop). A bottle of 90% or denatured alcohol is a lot cheaper than a new keyboard.

Just fill up a shallow dish large enough for the keyboard to soak in, and cover it over using as a pure an alcohol as you can find (avoid 70% isopropyl, or you'll probably get a residue from the moisturizers -- look for 90% or higher at your drugstore). Let the keyboard soak for several hours, overnight is best. Swish it around occasionally to dislodge the gunk loosened up by the alcohol -- you'll be surprised at all the stuff that comes out. Then remove it from the alcohol and let it air dry for a few hours. I've used this trick to rescue several cellphones and TV remotes from spills before. It's also good for fixing a cellphone or something dropped in water, IF you can get the battery out before it fries itself. The alcohol submersion will displace the water, and then evaporate quickly as it dries out, leaving a thoroughly dry (and hopefully working) device.[/quoted160339f1e]

Actually he ripped a bunch of the keys off. he bent the spacebar in half. Even if i could get it back on, it's not flat. The board works, you just have to push the little buttons.

EatChex89

27-07-2007 08:32:23

[quote6d0094a10c="dmorris68"]If it's just sticky due to a spill, you can try the old alcohol submersion bath (after you remove it from the laptop). A bottle of 90% or denatured alcohol is a lot cheaper than a new keyboard.

Just fill up a shallow dish large enough for the keyboard to soak in, and cover it over using as a pure an alcohol as you can find (avoid 70% isopropyl, or you'll probably get a residue from the moisturizers -- look for 90% or higher at your drugstore). Let the keyboard soak for several hours, overnight is best. Swish it around occasionally to dislodge the gunk loosened up by the alcohol -- you'll be surprised at all the stuff that comes out. Then remove it from the alcohol and let it air dry for a few hours. I've used this trick to rescue several cellphones and TV remotes from spills before. It's also good for fixing a cellphone or something dropped in water, IF you can get the battery out before it fries itself. The alcohol submersion will displace the water, and then evaporate quickly as it dries out, leaving a thoroughly dry (and hopefully working) device.[/quote6d0094a10c]

Is this method safe for a mac laptop?

Also, can I do this if I just want my laptop cleaned but I haven't spilled anything on it?

dmorris68

27-07-2007 11:40:29

[quoteff98ab0c07="EatChex89"][quoteff98ab0c07="dmorris68"]If it's just sticky due to a spill, you can try the old alcohol submersion bath (after you remove it from the laptop). A bottle of 90% or denatured alcohol is a lot cheaper than a new keyboard.

Just fill up a shallow dish large enough for the keyboard to soak in, and cover it over using as a pure an alcohol as you can find (avoid 70% isopropyl, or you'll probably get a residue from the moisturizers -- look for 90% or higher at your drugstore). Let the keyboard soak for several hours, overnight is best. Swish it around occasionally to dislodge the gunk loosened up by the alcohol -- you'll be surprised at all the stuff that comes out. Then remove it from the alcohol and let it air dry for a few hours. I've used this trick to rescue several cellphones and TV remotes from spills before. It's also good for fixing a cellphone or something dropped in water, IF you can get the battery out before it fries itself. The alcohol submersion will displace the water, and then evaporate quickly as it dries out, leaving a thoroughly dry (and hopefully working) device.[/quoteff98ab0c07]

Also, can I do this if I just want my laptop cleaned but I haven't spilled anything on it?[/quoteff98ab0c07]
Disclaimer I take no responsibility for what you do with this information. ;)

That said, if you're just talking about the keyboard, then yes I don't see why not. A Mac laptop keyboard should be functionally identical to just about any other laptop keyboard. I wouldn't advise submerging the entire laptop though, if that's what your asking. lol

The alcohol trick works with almost anything unless they contain material sensitive to liquids or alcohol. Since alcohol displaces moisture and evaporates very quickly, as long as you remove the thing you're cleaning from any power source, and give it adequate time to dry before energizing it again, it should cause no ill effects. Alcohol is a pretty mild solvent and harmless to most inorganic (plastic, metal) parts. Paper labels, and the ink on them, would probably not survive. It might also loosen or dissolve some mild adhesives as well, which is something to keep in mind in case the device has parts that are lightly glued down. I haven't run into that though.

I've heard it suggested that alcohol might remove the lettering on some keyboards. As many times as I've used it, on a variety of keyboards and devices that had lettering on them, it's never happened to me. But it's something to be aware of. If you're really concerned about that, you might soak a Q-Tip and rub really hard on a rarely used key, or some small, out of the way print to see if it removes anything.

Generally speaking, though, I don't use the submersion technique for routine cleaning. I reserve it for extreme cases where the device is already inoperable, or potentially inoperable, such as after being dunked in water or spilled on. But for something as simple as a keyboard I wouldn't expect a problem.

bballp6699

27-07-2007 11:48:00

Keep in mind you're dealing with Chex here. You're gonna get a letter from his mother soon asking why you told him to dunk his laptop.

dmorris68

27-07-2007 11:55:49

[quotec7d44dbac4="bballp6699"]Keep in mind you're dealing with Chex here. You're gonna get a letter from his mother soon asking why you told him to dunk his laptop.[/quotec7d44dbac4]
I'll just say TSJ was impersonating me. We all take turns doing that anyway. I'm wearing a kilt and bowler hat -- sans knickers -- at this very moment, in fact.

bballp6699

27-07-2007 12:39:45

That must be quite a site!

EatChex89

27-07-2007 15:18:21

[quote3d9224bbf8="dmorris68"][quote3d9224bbf8="EatChex89"][quote3d9224bbf8="dmorris68"]If it's just sticky due to a spill, you can try the old alcohol submersion bath (after you remove it from the laptop). A bottle of 90% or denatured alcohol is a lot cheaper than a new keyboard.

Just fill up a shallow dish large enough for the keyboard to soak in, and cover it over using as a pure an alcohol as you can find (avoid 70% isopropyl, or you'll probably get a residue from the moisturizers -- look for 90% or higher at your drugstore). Let the keyboard soak for several hours, overnight is best. Swish it around occasionally to dislodge the gunk loosened up by the alcohol -- you'll be surprised at all the stuff that comes out. Then remove it from the alcohol and let it air dry for a few hours. I've used this trick to rescue several cellphones and TV remotes from spills before. It's also good for fixing a cellphone or something dropped in water, IF you can get the battery out before it fries itself. The alcohol submersion will displace the water, and then evaporate quickly as it dries out, leaving a thoroughly dry (and hopefully working) device.[/quote3d9224bbf8]

Also, can I do this if I just want my laptop cleaned but I haven't spilled anything on it?[/quote3d9224bbf8]
Disclaimer I take no responsibility for what you do with this information. ;)

That said, if you're just talking about the keyboard, then yes I don't see why not. A Mac laptop keyboard should be functionally identical to just about any other laptop keyboard. I wouldn't advise submerging the entire laptop though, if that's what your asking. lol

The alcohol trick works with almost anything unless they contain material sensitive to liquids or alcohol. Since alcohol displaces moisture and evaporates very quickly, as long as you remove the thing you're cleaning from any power source, and give it adequate time to dry before energizing it again, it should cause no ill effects. Alcohol is a pretty mild solvent and harmless to most inorganic (plastic, metal) parts. Paper labels, and the ink on them, would probably not survive. It might also loosen or dissolve some mild adhesives as well, which is something to keep in mind in case the device has parts that are lightly glued down. I haven't run into that though.

I've heard it suggested that alcohol might remove the lettering on some keyboards. As many times as I've used it, on a variety of keyboards and devices that had lettering on them, it's never happened to me. But it's something to be aware of. If you're really concerned about that, you might soak a Q-Tip and rub really hard on a rarely used key, or some small, out of the way print to see if it removes anything.

Generally speaking, though, I don't use the submersion technique for routine cleaning. I reserve it for extreme cases where the device is already inoperable, or potentially inoperable, such as after being dunked in water or spilled on. But for something as simple as a keyboard I wouldn't expect a problem.[/quote3d9224bbf8]

I was joking about the mac keyboard ;)

However, I was considering submerging my entire laptop (minus the display). But now I am not going to.