A TECHNIQUE TO GET CHEAPEST R/T TICKETS TO EUROPE

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=66801

roberto

18-07-2007 11:05:17

Check this out.

Here is a tip for travelers to EUROPE. I have tried it with italy and austria so far and have saved some major bucks.

If you are flying from the USA dont book travel straight to your destination, in our case it was italy.

find a major hub city in europe from the USA and fly there first.

For example

fly to brussells, copenhagen, london or amsterdam first on the american carrier.

then pick alitalia or some other carrier from there to fly into italy.

we tried to book from usa straight to rome or naples. cheapest round trip was $1300.00 each.

we booked to brussells for $650 round trip and then from there straight to naples for $255. Total savings for 2 people is $790.00 which easily pays for our villa in the amalfi coast for one week in september.

I just booked travel to vienna austria for a business trip the same way. tickets from texas to vienna were $1500 rt.

I booked to brussells for $950 (they are higher on short notice) and then another filight from brussels to vienna for $150.00. total savings $400 for one person. since I saved my company some bucks on this one they are going to have to spring for a major steak dinner in vienna.

try it out, it will work for you too!

[bef2407e634]Please reply to this topic if you think it is a good tip so other people cah learn about it too![/bef2407e634]

thanks,

roberto

Admin

18-07-2007 11:27:39

it's definitely worth knowing about and i appreciate the post, but its pretty standard for direct flights to cost more than ones with connections )

bballp6699

18-07-2007 11:34:39

For that flight of that price I'd probably take a look at it, but I recently went the cheap way while flying from Philadelphia to Orlando, and I really wish I just paid the extra amount. I ended up sitting in Atlanta for 5 hours during a lay over on the way home instead of just shilling out the extra 50 bucks or whatever it happened to be.

Admin

18-07-2007 11:43:43

[quoteeaa31c8ba6="bballp6699"]For that flight of that price I'd probably take a look at it, but I recently went the cheap way while flying from Philadelphia to Orlando, and I really wish I just paid the extra amount. I ended up sitting in Atlanta for 5 hours during a lay over on the way home instead of just shilling out the extra 50 bucks or whatever it happened to be.[/quoteeaa31c8ba6]

i had overnight layovers both to and from jamaica when i went a while back on budget flights. fuck that. i swore off domestic connecting flights ages ago, anyway.

roberto

18-07-2007 12:03:50

I guess I have to agree. If there is going to be long layovers it isnt worth it.

I managed to get only 2 hours between flights in europe so it is doable for us.

the wife and I like it also because on the return we decided to stay an extra night in brussells between flights since we have never been to that city.

Probably will blow our "savings" on the extra night but it adds some fun to the journey.

Tholek

18-07-2007 16:21:47

I don't even change in Jamaica when going to Long Island. I kinda doubt I'd do it when travelling internationally with luggage. ;)

wasabe

18-07-2007 17:09:24

www.kayak.com

That is all.

Kidd

18-07-2007 17:45:18

honestly i rather pay the extra amount and get there direct.

in europe some of the layovers/connecting flights arent bad.

domestic connections are garbage.

amex travel services ftw!