How would you solve Genocide?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=66290

puppeteer

10-07-2007 11:34:59

I am writing a persuasion essay on Genocide...

Besides sending the whole US troops to Genocidal countries... I could not think of anything else?

Anyone have any ideas?

dmorris68

10-07-2007 13:10:27

Military action is always a last resort, and is a nasty can of worms to open. Diplomatic and economic pressure through UN sanctions and boycotts are somewhat effective with some smaller countries that depend on exports, imports, and other foreign aid & support. You'll almost always see this sort of pressure before the military card is played. It took years before the UN intervened militarily in the Serbia/Kosovo situation, and nobody has yet to intervene on behalf of Darfur, for example.

As with most global crises, there is no fast, easy solution.

puppeteer

10-07-2007 13:50:30

its sad its the only thing i could think of

and my outline for this essay needs at least 3 solutions lol

theysayjump

10-07-2007 14:03:03

Is your essay going to be based on how can AMERICA solve genocide or how can we as humans and inhabitants of the world solve genocide?

puppeteer

10-07-2007 14:04:23

As human and inhabitants of the world

Jams44

10-07-2007 17:41:35

[quote36fc1c4a02="puppeteer"]I am writing a persuasion essay on Genocide...

Besides sending the whole US troops to Genocidal countries... I could not think of anything else?

Anyone have any ideas?[/quote36fc1c4a02]

Kill those who do it. twisted

tylerc

10-07-2007 19:43:06

Drop a nuke on em.

Big War Bird

10-07-2007 20:17:33

Send in the blue helmets. They may not actually stop anything, but will put the young women that do survive to good use as sex slaves.

But seriously, what we label as genocide has underlying causes that have to be address such scarcity of resources, long running fueds or what not. There is no one answer.

jy3

11-07-2007 08:28:39

problem with sanctions is that often the poor people and oppressed people feel it more than the offenders.

what about education and mediation?

Prints Charming

11-07-2007 08:55:23

I'd say you have to find the main causes of genocide before you can start throwing out solutions (I don't know what they are, otherwise I'd mention them here). Just wanted to maybe help get you started if you're still trying.

ilanbg

11-07-2007 09:39:04

"Genocide" is too broad a term to solve with one, or three, solutions. It's like asking how we can prevent "war." The causes, and solutions, are specific to the scenario.

Scott Adams had an interesting solution—arm all those being oppressed. Drop guns and weapons in crates from planes in Darfur and let the helpless fight back.

moneymoneynow

11-07-2007 09:53:44

Consequences and solutions.

Consequences - must almost always be multilateral military involvement. Its one thing for the US and UK to go into Iraq to root out genocidal maniac. It would be much more powerful to have the US, Russia, and China go at it together. The criminals then really have nowhere to run. Perhaps a three country summit to draft a resolution outlining circumstances under which all three countries would respond together in a military fashion.

Solutions - You don't see genocide happening much in economically rich countries. We need to focus on getting $$ into the right hands in order to help impoverished countries grow and prosper economically. I would like to see a Pan-African treaty organization where countries from South Africa to Tunisia would banned together to raise the continent's standard of living.

Third option - have an ex-president put together a giant global rock concert so people can feel good about the issue for one day and then go forward with the rest of their lives.

puppeteer

11-07-2007 10:47:23

[quotefc73ae5ec3="jy3"]problem with sanctions is that often the poor people and oppressed people feel it more than the offenders.

what about education and mediation?[/quotefc73ae5ec3]

ok

heres what I got so far

Education
Mediation
and Military Action

.. sounds good?

ilanbg

11-07-2007 12:43:27

How will education help?

What does it entail, anyway?

Prints Charming

11-07-2007 13:03:21

[quote04c0b13fa3="moneymoneynow"]...We need to focus on getting $$ into the right hands in order to help impoverished countries grow and prosper economically...[/quote04c0b13fa3]

^ Very true, nice point.

ilanbg

11-07-2007 15:54:34

[quotee19e62dfdf="Prints Charming"][quotee19e62dfdf="moneymoneynow"]...We need to focus on getting $$ into the right hands in order to help impoverished countries grow and prosper economically...[/quotee19e62dfdf]

^ Very true, nice point.[/quotee19e62dfdf]

There are already billions of dollars invested in this very prospect; I don't know if it alleviates the problem, but it certainly doesn't solve it.