eBaying my Wii, need eBay tips please! +kma

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=66127

Excel

07-07-2007 20:56:41

Hey, I just got a Wii, won it from a raffle. Its a brand new Wii, still factory sealed in the box with the receipt as well. Now, I've already played the Wii and have no interest in it, to put it simply without starting a debate. I'm looking to ditch it on eBay and hopefully capitalize on the craze right now.

I've spent the last hour or two looking at Wii auctions, tried to see what sells and what doesn't. It seems to me that the best way to get the most money is to pick up Wii Play and another nunchak - this will cost another $60(luckily I work somewhere where I can get a discount on this stuff =P). So that would be about $320 worth of merchandise, and it seems to be going for about $410 - $440.

Now, I'm a relative eBay n00b, I've bought and sold a few things on there in the past but nothing of this magnitude. I'm looking for all the eBay tips I could get. How long should I set my auction? What options should I go for? Is it best to write a lot about the item? What should I say? How many pictures? Will my low feedback hurt my ability to sell it? Really, any tips are greatly appreciated and shall be repaid with cookies and karma!

tylerc

07-07-2007 21:09:03

Show some pictures with your username on a piece of paper next to them.

michae229

07-07-2007 21:27:31

sell on criegslist eBay is a ripoff

hehehhehe

07-07-2007 22:51:30

[quoteaa35beef1e="Excel"]How long should I set my auction?[/quoteaa35beef1e]
Set it for a week so you get plenty of time to get viewed.
[quoteaa35beef1e="Excel"]What options should I go for? [/quoteaa35beef1e]
Gallery picture at the minimum. Start with a low price like $9.95 and don't set a reserve price. Make sure it ends on a day that is not a holiday, and not at an odd time for any time zone (like early AM).
[quoteaa35beef1e="Excel"]Is it best to write a lot about the item?[/quoteaa35beef1e]
Yes, it gives the impression to people that you give a shit.
[quoteaa35beef1e="Excel"]What should I say? How many pictures?[/quoteaa35beef1e]
Explain how you got it and why you're selling it (unless you're gonna say it sucks and you don't want it). Other than that, people know what a wii is, but you can also 'sell' it a bit by telling people how great it is. If you show the box unopened, one picture is enough I think.
[quoteaa35beef1e="Excel"]Will my low feedback hurt my ability to sell it?[/quoteaa35beef1e]
You're likely to get a lower price but what are you gonna do?

tylerc

07-07-2007 22:53:14

It's a Wii, it will sell.

jordan90

07-07-2007 23:21:13

[quote0e2e71c465]
Now, I'm a relative eBay n00b, I've bought and sold a few things on there in the past but nothing of this magnitude. I'm looking for all the eBay tips I could get. How long should I set my auction? What options should I go for? Is it best to write a lot about the item? What should I say? How many pictures? Will my low feedback hurt my ability to sell it? Really, any tips are greatly appreciated and shall be repaid with cookies and karma![/quote0e2e71c465]

What I've heard is that 7pm Pacific time on Sunday is the best time to have auctions for non-business related items ending. And from personal experience, I'd say it's pretty true. How low is your feedback? If it's below ten, it could hurt you a little, but not a whole lot (like tylerc said, "It's a Wii, it will sell").

As for pictures, have the gallery pic be a general shot of everything together, and then individual shots of each item for the listing. If every thing's new in box, you don't need many pics at all.

Make sure you require payment within at least five days of auction end (I usually go with three). This should keep people from waiting a week and a half to pay you.

Charge enough for shipping so that it will cover the costs of shipping material and shipping no matter where the item is shipped to. Always offer insurance (whether required or optional). If you choose optional, be sure to list in the auction that if the buyer who did not buy insurance receives a damaged item, you (the seller) are not responsible. And don't overcharge people on S&H too bad. It also helps if you ship fast and mention that in the auction (I generally ship within 1 business day, 2 at the most).

And always be friendly in your auctions ). Words like "Please" and "Thank you" can help.

But when it comes down to it, you're selling a Wii. Hot items sell no matter what, and usually for a good price.

Hope this helps some. Good luck with your auction.

Excel

07-07-2007 23:56:20

My feedback is only a 3(should be maybe 2 more, but the people never left feedback). Do you think maybe I should bid on some penny eBooks and try to pump my feedback a little?

Regardless, I just saw a 0 feedback user sell a used Wii for $305, so I think I should be alright.

Thanks for the tips so far!!

tjwor

08-07-2007 01:12:15

1 day auction generates the most provit! dit is because when peole see it it is only a low price so they think it will stay cheap, and they gid on it... olne laday listings hve teh best profit! ftw!

Big War Bird

08-07-2007 04:18:30

I would put it on Craiglist to avoid the the ebay and paypal fees which are going to be pretty substantial on something that expensive.

turbohim

08-07-2007 07:06:06

I've seen people with 0 feedback sell wii's for $350+

tylerc

08-07-2007 10:13:26

[quote19b2e89949="Big War Bird"]I would put it on Craiglist to avoid the the ebay and paypal fees which are going to be pretty substantial on something that expensive.[/quote19b2e89949]

eBay listing fees could run you about $5-7, final value fees around $10, and PayPal fees around $10.

I agree with BWB if you live in or near a city big enough for CraigsList to sell it quickly.

jy3

08-07-2007 10:13:26

dont ebay your wii. ebay sucks

an easier way to get what you want is to do this.
bring ur wii to target
tell them u got it as a gift but have one
have them hold it
go into the store and buy an amount equal to or more than the worth of the wii

exchange made
of course if u want to make more than retail on ebay, then this will not help you.
u get 2 of these types of returns a year at target

benedict

08-07-2007 10:30:53

always put your listings at 99cents. will attract more bidders thinking that they're gonna get it at 99 cents and it's cheaper for you to list. don't list an item that will end on a holiday.

cwncool

08-07-2007 15:08:02

[quote6235297c67="tylerc"][quote6235297c67="Big War Bird"]I would put it on Craiglist to avoid the the ebay and paypal fees which are going to be pretty substantial on something that expensive.[/quote6235297c67]

eBay listing fees could run you about $5-7, final value fees around $10, and PayPal fees around $10.

I agree with BWB if you live in or near a city big enough for CraigsList to sell it quickly.[/quote6235297c67]
I agree. Wayyy to much fees using eBay/PayPal. Best bet is Craigslist if you are [i6235297c67]anywhere[/i6235297c67] somewhat near a city on Craigslist.

But...It might be a little bit harder having to do it person to person. I guess that's up to if the extra $20 is worth it to you. shrug

gmario

08-07-2007 19:33:38

What did you end up getting on yours? and any idea on what i could get for a WII, nunchuk,controller, classic controler, wario smooth moves, mario party8,brain academy, and paper mario?

Excel

09-07-2007 03:56:23

Haven't put it up yet. I've seen new, never opened Wiis + Wii play + nunchuck going for $410-$440. They advertise it as a Wii, 2 controllers and 14 games - they count each minigame in Wii Sports/Wii Play as a game.

Anyways, I bet you could get $500 or so, you gotta watch out including a lot of games though because if they aren't like games EVERYONE wants(like XBox + Halo or something), you might not get as much as you want. And of course, a used Wii won't sell for as much either.

mcgrom

11-07-2007 10:28:48

Your ganna get ripped buy eBay and paypal selling somthing that expensive but I suppose if you got it for free then anything is profit. You should have no problem selling it just make sure to start the bidding really low and now what you want for it because you'll least likely not get as many bids that way. Hope this helps.