My Near Arrest

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=65878

tylerc

03-07-2007 15:23:28

Along with my temp-ban bringing good luck in terms of free sites, it brought bad luck in my real life.

I was at a girl's party, and this one girl was leaving to go home, but didn't want to walk to her car by herself since it was a fair distance away, so I offered to walk her.

Worst. Choice. Ever.

As we are walking along the street, a cop (unmarked) rolls by. We were walking through a yard so we just ducked, not knowing who it was (could have possibly been the people that lived at the house whose yard we were walking through, don't ask, we were drunk). So, he tells us to come out and asks for our IDs. He then says "you guys have either been drinking or smoking dope tonight, one of the two, so which is it?" At which point, the girl admitted to having a drink. Following suit, I admitted to having a few as well. Then, he said that since we are under age but of legal age to go to jail, we had two options. One, we could call our parents and have them come get us. Two, go to jail. Needless to say, my parents came immediately and got me. They knew I was out drinking, I was just going to stay at the girl's house that night. The cop said that house has been a problem lately and they weren't stupid.

That cop made me respect cops more, and I don't know how many times I thanked him.

wasabe

03-07-2007 15:39:15

[quoteafc259953c="tylerc"]Along with my temp-ban bringing good luck in terms of free sites, it brought bad luck in my real life.

I was at a girl's party, and this one girl was leaving to go home, but didn't want to walk to her car by herself since it was a fair distance away, so I offered to walk her.

Worst. Choice. Ever.

As we are walking along the street, a cop (unmarked) rolls by. We were walking through a yard so we just ducked, not knowing who it was (could have possibly been the people that lived at the house whose yard we were walking through, don't ask, we were drunk). So, he tells us to come out and asks for our IDs. He then says "you guys have either been drinking or smoking dope tonight, one of the two, so which is it?" At which point, the girl admitted to having a drink. Following suit, I admitted to having a few as well.[/quoteafc259953c]
Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid. Stupid.

I'm sorry, but you really needed to hear that. If you'd like me to elaborate, I will.

ilanbg

03-07-2007 15:43:29

What did that cop in particular do to gain your respect?

wasabe You're a real asset to this forum, I tell you what.

good2speed

03-07-2007 15:59:19

[quote79a418f72e="ilanbg"]What did that cop in particular do to gain your respect?[/quote79a418f72e]

J4320

03-07-2007 16:07:58

I'm guessing it was because he was understanding and not just a judgmental dick that was only concerned about getting them in trouble. shrug

Veek

03-07-2007 16:10:41

\m/

CollidgeGraduit

03-07-2007 16:37:08

[quoteca9fab6909="ilanbg"]What did that cop in particular do to gain your respect?

wasabe You're a real asset to this forum, I tell you what.[/quoteca9fab6909]

We'll see if he's more of an asset after his 5 day break

AMoore913

03-07-2007 16:45:08

You know, I've never heard a story of a cop actually arresting anyone I know for drinking. They usually do something like this story, such as calling your parents or something. Maybe they understand that they were kids once too and we'll make mistakes but shouldn't have a blemished record for it.

Iloveipods2

03-07-2007 17:19:20

or they reminisce back to their college days......

or back to the days when it was either 19 or 18.....

tylerc

03-07-2007 17:28:44

[quote2cd8d53342="good2speed"][quote2cd8d53342="ilanbg"]What did that cop in particular do to gain your respect?[/quote2cd8d53342][/quote2cd8d53342]

Didn't act holier than thou like he never drank underage or that he was perfect, and didn't arrest me. He was a pretty nice guy overall really.

doylnea

03-07-2007 18:38:34

[quoted5bc480a8b="AMoore913"]You know, I've never heard a story of a cop actually arresting anyone I know for drinking. They usually do something like this story, such as calling your parents or something. Maybe they understand that they were kids once too and we'll make mistakes but shouldn't have a blemished record for it.[/quoted5bc480a8b]

I know from experience not everyone gets the option to call their parents.

Killer722

03-07-2007 19:08:35

I always thought they couldn't do anything if you weren't making a scene and didn't have a drink in your hands. I've been stopped twice before, and they just leave us alone. And one time, a kid behind us got in trouble because he was actually holding a cup outside...idiot.

zdub08

03-07-2007 19:19:52

well, he was walking through someone's yard. not a big deal, but the cop could probably use that as a reason.

tjwor

03-07-2007 20:56:13

i know plenty of people who have got in a lot of trouble that wern't drinking at the time of seeing the police officer, it in your system is enough...

and CG, thank you wasabe was really getting on my nerves for some reason with his recent posts...

Excel

03-07-2007 21:36:06

Ya, I didn't think they could do anything either as long as you weren't obnoxious or were holding a drink. But then one night, I walked back to my dorm, got inside and was trying to get change for a vending machine... It probably took me 5 minutes to count it out because I was retarded... Anyways, after I got my candy bar, a cop started talking to me, asking how much I had to drank, made me go outside, and follow his light with his eyes, walk the line, the whole deal.

He ended up letting me go cuz some other kids were starting a fight, but I was still pretty pissed he was giving me shit like that, especially because I was 21 at the time. Its called Public Drunkenness or something like that =\

kidd2108

03-07-2007 21:44:11

^public intoxication.

This pretty much sums it up.

[quotee9ff0b4b8c]The laws regarding drunkenness vary wildly from one legislative body to the next and are open to a certain amount of interpretation dependent upon circumstance. For example, the Code of Iowa states that "a person shall not be intoxicated or simulate intoxication in a public place". [1] However this would not normally invite arrest unless the person had caused a nuisance or posed a danger to themselves or others.[/quotee9ff0b4b8c]

http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_intoxication

Vector

03-07-2007 22:50:56

if it was illinois, they would only arrest you because its zero tolerance.

junkie06

03-07-2007 23:19:47

I once had a cop take me home heavyily messed up....pucking in the back of his car. I didnt get in trouble either, now thats amazing. I was underage too 20yrs and from Illinois

i hear there is a law, if your 20 you can legal drink but cant purchase alcohol.

gmario

04-07-2007 00:19:37

lol I know how you feel when cops let me go for dumb stuff I always love them. Is the ones who take you in the ones you end up hating. twisted

tylerc

04-07-2007 09:53:10

In Indiana it's 21 to drink or purchase.

tjwor

04-07-2007 10:32:38

[quotefb879be3a8="tylerc"]In Indiana it's 21 to drink or purchase.[/quotefb879be3a8]

same with all 50 states, you can legally be arrested for having any alcohol content if you are under 21, and there is a legal limit for a DIP (drunk in public)

justinag06

04-07-2007 11:14:56

you guys wanna hear a bullshit cop story?

Last summer I was at the pool with some friends at my apartment. We were all there after the bars closed which is around 2 am here. Anyhow I have a beer out there and I'm just chilling, really not even closed to trashed this particular night. A cop rolls up in plain clothes and writes me and another guy a ticket for

"Consumption After Hours". This is why the rest of my crew is jumping off the pool room roof into the pool, drunk as fuck. Apparently it's illegal in Texas to drink beer after 2 am outside even on your own property.

I was pretty pissed to say the least, $400 ticket. Oh yeah I was 22 at the time also.

tylerc

04-07-2007 11:16:56

Did you fight it? That's a really stupid law--who are they to say what you can and can't do on your own property if you are of legal age to drink?

I think drinking tickets down at IU next year are $400 if you get caught.

tjwor

04-07-2007 11:20:48

if we got caught drinking at the dorms at my school, it was a $50 fine and they didn't call the cops or anything, and the 2nd time was a $100 fine and you had to take AA classes or soemthing

zr2152

04-07-2007 11:23:03

See that is how cops should be. YOu wernt causing any trouble and you were not driving...you were just walking.

The fact that the cop didnt arrest you makes me feel good to know that there are still some cops out there who are not power hungry pigs.

I wish I would have ran into that cop last new years before I got my underage. I was just walking to another party...WALKING mind you...and I got an underage cause the dick head cop hadnt seen any action in a town where nothing goes on. Hell I dont even think you had to pass middle school to be a cop in the town I was in.

Oh well, shit happens and I hope that you learn from last nights experience.

tylerc

04-07-2007 11:34:37

It wasn't last night, it was um...Friday the 22nd of June I think.

But yeah, I've cut down on drinking til I get to IU, I was at a friend's house last night, but I didn't even LEAVE the house til this morning.

tracemhunter

04-07-2007 14:19:52

The school that I go to is in the richest part of Dallas so it is a relatively small city within a city. Anyways, you have to stay in jail overnight when you get arrested for public intox. The next morning before they let you go they ask what you want from McDonald's and go through the drive-thru and get it for you. you. This is not just for college students either. A co-worker in his 40's got arrested there and the same thing happened to him.

My brother got arrested when he was 18 for having alcohol and being under 21. However, I can order a drink at a restaurant when I am with my parents. Interesting loophole.

givmea1032

04-07-2007 15:23:05

Wow, at first I was afraid to read this thread, figured it'd be cop bashing all the way. I don't know if I'd make you call your parents, I mean, technically, if your old enough to go to jail, then your over 18 which means your parents have no legal control over you. I'd just do the good ol ass chewing and send you on your way, unless you couldn't walk. Props for him.

Also, with a simple PBT a police officer can prove you were drinking, lots of states have Minor in Consumption, in case you didn't have the can in your hand (minor in possession).

kidd2108

04-07-2007 15:30:32

at least you didnt run into this cop.

http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lseu0v9qkVU

Jams44

04-07-2007 15:43:06

[quotec9f3180260="tjwor"][quotec9f3180260="tylerc"]In Indiana it's 21 to drink or purchase.[/quotec9f3180260]

same with all 50 states, you can legally be arrested for having any alcohol content if you are under 21, and there is a legal limit for a DIP (drunk in public)[/quotec9f3180260]

I don't think that's true at all. Drinking laws vary from state to state seeing as its not a federal all. Many states have really lenient laws that allows a 16 year old resident to legally drink in the privacy of the home if purchased by a legal guardian. I think that's wisconsin but Im not sure. I don't know all the details, I just know thAt was quite a bold statement. Thought I would clear that up! )

tjwor

04-07-2007 16:13:44

[quoteceec36c43e="Jams44"][quoteceec36c43e="tjwor"][quoteceec36c43e="tylerc"]In Indiana it's 21 to drink or purchase.[/quoteceec36c43e]

same with all 50 states, you can legally be arrested for having any alcohol content if you are under 21, and there is a legal limit for a DIP (drunk in public)[/quoteceec36c43e]

I don't think that's true at all. Drinking laws vary from state to state seeing as its not a federal all. Many states have really lenient laws that allows a 16 year old resident to legally drink in the privacy of the home if purchased by a legal guardian. I think that's wisconsin but Im not sure. I don't know all the details, I just know thAt was quite a bold statement. Thought I would clear that up! )[/quoteceec36c43e]

yea, i meant to say in public without a parent, there are a few that have the laws if you are in your own home with yuour parents and they supply it, Kansas used to have it... but got rid of it for some reason shrug

Also, once you drink alcohol with your parents you are not allowed to leave because you can still get a DIP from that...

dmorris68

04-07-2007 16:26:20

The only federal position on drinking age is that you be 21 years of age to purchase or publicly possess alcohol. It's not a law, it's a choice states have between adopting the federal position or lose their highway funding -- by now all 50 states have adopted it. However states do vary in their alcohol consumption laws. In some states minors can consume alcohol in a private setting or with permission of parents or guardians. However I think by now the majority of states have across the board restrictions on any alcohol possession or consumption while under 21.

Here's a good guide to the different state laws

http//www.alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/stateprofiles/

tylerc

05-07-2007 06:13:28

[quote425900d789="givmea1032"]Wow, at first I was afraid to read this thread, figured it'd be cop bashing all the way. I don't know if I'd make you call your parents, I mean, technically, if your old enough to go to jail, then your over 18 which means your parents have no legal control over you. I'd just do the good ol ass chewing and send you on your way, unless you couldn't walk. Props for him.

Also, with a simple PBT a police officer can prove you were drinking, lots of states have Minor in Consumption, in case you didn't have the can in your hand (minor in possession).[/quote425900d789]

Yeah, it's a minor consumption here too, I think it's a couple hundred dollar fine.

I'd have rather just gotten the ass chewing from him though, I mean, I was obviously intoxicated but I wasn't completely hammered. I got an ass chewing at home anyway, so I'd rather have it from a stranger than two people I live with.

manOFice

05-07-2007 06:34:30

I never knew it was illegal to drink ...I just thought it was illegal to buy under 21 or some crap. I've gotten open container tickets in public before but never got an option to "call my parents" or "go to jail" the one cop said if I pay him the amount of money for the ticket he wouldn't give me the ticket and I didn't have that kinda cash on me so he wrote me the open contain ticket and made me dump it and that was that.

tylerc

05-07-2007 06:42:30

Indiana is really strict on the underage drinking, the cop told us that most cops don't have any tolerance for kids drinking but he believes in giving kids a break. He could have been bullshitting, but the girl I was walking to her car got a minor consumption back in September, so I'm more inclined to believe the cop was telling the truth when he said most don't have any tolerance.

TryinToGetPaid

05-07-2007 06:50:52

One time the cops came on my property because we were drinking - and my step dad came out with no shirt on, and in his underwear. He told the cops he bought all the liquor and everyone was staying at his house, so they should leave before he got pissed and called the city. They promptly left and one of them sat out across the street to watch us, and I can not tell you how many times he got flipped off that night....

manOFice

05-07-2007 07:11:47

[quotef2965b2afd="TryinToGetPaid"]One time the cops came on my property because we were drinking - and my step dad came out with no shirt on, and in his underwear. He told the cops he bought all the liquor and everyone was staying at his house, so they should leave before he got pissed and called the city. They promptly left and one of them sat out across the street to watch us, and I can not tell you how many times he got flipped off that night....[/quotef2965b2afd]

Heh, I've had the cops come to a party before...they asked if anyone was 21 there and no one was...and the cops said to have a good night. Looked like they just wanted to bust a person over 21 servering minors?

tylerc

05-07-2007 07:15:08

Probably, that's a lot bigger offense than underage drinking. I think it's a felony in Indiana.

TryinToGetPaid

05-07-2007 08:52:37

Well in Louisiana you can drink on your property at any age.

tylerc

05-07-2007 08:53:40

Indiana law prohibits drinking anywhere if you are under 21, even with parent's permission on your property.

doylnea

05-07-2007 08:54:27

For a long time, and I believe even now, if you're over 18, you can drink with your parents in a restaurant or bar in Wisconsin.

theysayjump

05-07-2007 10:12:26

I've been arrested before but never for drinking.

I believe in Scotland (maybe the rest of the U.K), you are allowed to go into a pub/restaurant and drink at the age of 14, as long as you are with and the alcohol is bought by someone of legal age.

You can also drink at the age of 5 as long as there is adult supervision/parental consent.

I got shitfaced with my parents on my 5th birthday. Ahhh.......I remember it well.

Wait, no I don't.

Iloveipods2

05-07-2007 10:21:00

[quote014de2e05a="theysayjump"]I've been arrested before but never for drinking.

[b014de2e05a]I got shitfaced with my parents on my 5th birthday.[/b014de2e05a] Ahhh.......I remember it well.

Wait, no I don't.[/quote014de2e05a]

Lol that explains ALOT.

tylerc

05-07-2007 10:22:07

What did you get arrested for?

bballp6699

05-07-2007 10:22:56

[quote3132b4df0b="O4F-Manofice"] the one cop said if I pay him the amount of money for the ticket he wouldn't give me the ticket and I didn't have that kinda cash on me so he wrote me the open contain ticket and made me dump it and that was that.[/quote3132b4df0b]

lol

theysayjump

05-07-2007 10:40:57

[quote209483f406="tylerc"]What did you get arrested for?[/quote209483f406]

My friends and I decided it would be a good idea to break into one of the local football (soccer) stadiums. On the outskirts of the stadium there was a big ditch with a 15ft high wall in the middle, so we found some milk crates and climbed over. Upon entering we vandalised walls and signs, ran around on the pitch, and stole things. As soon as we climbed back over the wall we saw the police car headlights drive into the area so we hid in amongst some thorn bushes. The dogs found us and we were taken in.

I've also been in trouble with the police for stealing shoes from a billboard, the hood of a car, playing cricket in the middle of a busy street, stealing putty from windows, going into a burnt out building that was still smouldering, throwing rocks and stones at windows and satellite dishes, being caught up in fights and singing "All You Need Is Love" at the top of my voice through the streets at night (breach of the peace).

TryinToGetPaid

05-07-2007 11:06:33

You hellion.

givmea1032

05-07-2007 11:32:54

[quote1bdf71afcb="theysayjump"]..., stealing putty from windows,...[/quote1bdf71afcb]

Do i even want to ask why? The others I can kind of understand.... )

manOFice

05-07-2007 11:34:24

[quote631e2888bd="givmea1032"][quote631e2888bd="theysayjump"]..., stealing putty from windows,...[/quote631e2888bd]

Do i even want to ask why? The others I can kind of understand.... )[/quote631e2888bd]

You're a cop right?

doylnea

05-07-2007 13:17:27

[quotec135787c55="givmea1032"][quotec135787c55="theysayjump"]..., stealing putty from windows,...[/quotec135787c55]

Do i even want to ask why? The others I can kind of understand.... )[/quotec135787c55]

That's certainly one way to gain entry to a building without breaking a window...

kidd2108

05-07-2007 13:26:52

[quote78e2f0e033="O4F-Manofice"][quote78e2f0e033="givmea1032"][quote78e2f0e033="theysayjump"]..., stealing putty from windows,...[/quote78e2f0e033]

Do i even want to ask why? The others I can kind of understand.... )[/quote78e2f0e033]

You're a cop right?[/quote78e2f0e033]

Im probably gonna be a cop. D

thikidflyss

05-07-2007 13:57:54

well, for one thing. i didn't read all of the responses to this.

But if you weren't of ducking in someones yard, or walking through it in the first place, you could of easy avoided this whole situation.

Cops can tell if someones under the influence if they appear paranoid or the obvious one, intoxicated.

As for the underage drinking part. Just wait in till you get older. Then hit up a bar and get shitty.

tylerc

05-07-2007 14:23:19

I know, I realized that too, but it was just a reaction.

givmea1032

06-07-2007 11:40:16

O4F, yes, but I haven't heard of that before. Creative, I might have to try that sometime.... I mean.. shock