Big Government is destroying America. Wasting Tax Dollars.

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=65551

KnightTrader

29-06-2007 09:29:23

Take a look at this video, broken into 3 parts. Very informative / Different perspective then you usually see on TV. Why Big government is crippling this nation.

http//www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/John%2BStossel/video/xn3nq_stossel-goes-to-washington-part-1of
http//www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/John%2BStossel/video/xn3r2_stossel-goes-to-washington-part-2of
http//www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/John%2BStossel/video/xn3se_stossel-goes-to-washington-part-3of

bruman

29-06-2007 09:40:10

It's true. That is why I'm supporting Ron Paul for 2008

Check him out http//youtube.com/watch?v=IWfIhFhelm8

nobody2000

29-06-2007 09:49:02

it's true...that's why I'm investing in aluminum so I can make a kickass line of tinfoil hats.

JordanE

29-06-2007 12:33:10

yup. Small government is the olny way to be...

KnightTrader

29-06-2007 12:47:03

I know a lot about Ron Paul. I Support him to, although he has no chance of getting the Republican Ticket, I still support him.

www.LP.org

bruman

29-06-2007 13:19:57

[quote133c4622f9="KnightTrader"]I know a lot about Ron Paul. I Support him to, although he has no chance of getting the Republican Ticket, I still support him.

www.LP.org[/quote133c4622f9]

I think he has a chance

KnightTrader

29-06-2007 14:01:26

He has about 2% Of the polls in almost every state. 0% In many. He has no chance. Don't get me wrong, He's my hero, but he can't win. I'm a Libertarian myself.

http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_Republican_Party_(United_States)_presidential_primaries,_2008

bruman

29-06-2007 14:10:15

[quote0143332213="KnightTrader"]He has about 2% Of the polls in almost every state. 0% In many. He has no chance. Don't get me wrong, He's my hero, but he can't win. I'm a Libertarian myself.

http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_Republican_Party_(United_States)_presidential_primaries,_2008[/quote0143332213]

Ron Paul is attracting many voters who have never even voted in the primaries before. It's way too early to decide who's going to win based on polls. He has TONS of grassroots supporters.. it's only just begun.

KnightTrader

29-06-2007 17:58:02

I will take a mortgage on my house, and bet it on a 100-1 odds, that Ron Paul won't get past primaries. I love the guy, but he has no chance. He wins, You get my house, he loses, you give me 5000$ =0

bruman

29-06-2007 18:22:38

[quote538ffe12fd="KnightTrader"]I will take a mortgage on my house, and bet it on a 100-1 odds, that Ron Paul won't get past primaries. I love the guy, but he has no chance. He wins, You get my house, he loses, you give me 5000$ =0[/quote538ffe12fd]

I'm not going to bet $5,000 on it. I'm just saying he will gain a lot more support from now until the primaries. I guarantee you he'll AT LEAST win a couple states. Being the only anti-war candidate in a field of republicans, with a majority of those who are voting are against the war in iraq, that will gain him some ground. There has been many cases in history where a candidate was doing low in the polls (just like ron paul is doing now), and ended up winning the election. This along with the internet and organized supporters/meet-ups gives him a decent shot.

zdub08

29-06-2007 18:39:47

[quoteef83a4343d="KnightTrader"]He has about 2% Of the polls in almost every state. 0% In many. He has no chance. Don't get me wrong, He's my hero, but he can't win. I'm a Libertarian myself.

http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_Republican_Party_(United_States)_presidential_primaries,_2008[/quoteef83a4343d]
kind of off-topic, but why do so many people like giuliani? if 9/11 didn't happen, would anyone care about him?

dmorris68

29-06-2007 18:42:19

I started out a McCain supporter, but if Fred Thompson runs I'm liking him more and more. I'd just be concerned about his health given his recent problems. I'd want to be REAL comfortable with his running mate, just in case. lol

bruman

29-06-2007 18:48:54

If Ron Paul doesn't get the nomination, a democrat will surely win the main election. Any pro-war candidate will not win.

samz465

29-06-2007 19:56:19

Dennis Kucinich FTW!!

JordanE

30-06-2007 12:41:38

I am also a big fan of Ron Paul.

bruman

30-06-2007 14:25:28

[quotefb18861db4="JordanE"]I am also a big fan of Ron Paul.[/quotefb18861db4]

We just have to vote next year in the primaries. Only about 20% of all americans vote in the primary. If Ron Paul gets enough passionate supporters to go out there and vote for him in the primaries, we can win. All the other "top-tier" candidates, and with fred thompson coming in the race, will only split the vote even more.

ilanbg

30-06-2007 14:53:03

America wants a Democrat for President, as was seen in the Mid-Term elections.

Obama '08, bitches.

JordanE

30-06-2007 16:00:35

[quote895aad8186="bruman"][quote895aad8186="JordanE"]I am also a big fan of Ron Paul.[/quote895aad8186]

We just have to vote next year in the primaries. Only about 20% of all americans vote in the primary. If Ron Paul gets enough passionate supporters to go out there and vote for him in the primaries, we can win. All the other "top-tier" candidates, and with fred thompson coming in the race, will only split the vote even more.[/quote895aad8186]

Without a doubt. I don't know why so many people can't be botherd to vote in the primaries. I can't wait to vote!

My worst fear is Giuliani Hillary. I know its likely.

h3x

30-06-2007 17:26:17

[quotecf452c0bb1="JordanE"]My worst fear is Giuliani Hillary. I know its likely.[/quotecf452c0bb1]

If that happens, I'm not voting at all... So far, I'm sticking with McCain.

JordanE

30-06-2007 18:26:07

No way am I voting for a democrat (<ever!) or a pro-choice republican for president. If that happens i'm voting for TheySayJump! aha

dmorris68

30-06-2007 20:55:17

[quote773c2fda89="JordanE"]No way am I voting for a democrat (<ever!) or a pro-choice republican for president. If that happens i'm voting for TheySayJump! aha[/quote773c2fda89]
You're young so I'm going to offer some advice don't be so partisan. The labels Democrat and Republican are very weak, especially nowadays. When I was born, Democrats were as conservative as today's neo-cons -- the parties did a major flip-flop in the 70's and 80's. There are still some Republicans now that lean farther left than some Democrats, and vice-versa. Lots of overlap in that middle, moderate contingent, which is where I tend to fall. I consider extremism on either end A Bad Thing™.

Don't vote the party line, vote the stand on your issues. Open your mind and listen & research each candidate. Of course if you're conservative you'll probably lean towards that party, but don't be so foolish as to blindly adhere to a party name. You'd be surprised as you grow older how varied candidates can be. I consider myself a moderate conservative and therefore tend to follow the Republican ticket closest. However there are some issues that I tend to swing left on. Not too far, but just over the "center line" as it were. So I'm certainly not above voting for a Democrat, Libertarian, Independant, etc. if I like where they stand overall. But I despise extremists of any party. Fortunately my state doesn't require me to register and vote one party, I can vote for anybody on the ballot I choose, and I take advantage of that.

Bush Jr., for all his faults and sometimes misguided loyalties to the wrong people on his Cabinet/staff, is a moderate. Yes, he is, despite the war situation. Cheney is far more conservative and responsible for much of Bush's neo-con'ish image. Just look at Bush's stance in immigration reform for an example of where the strict conservatives are abandoning him. Look at Bush Sr., who directed one of the largest military draw-downs in history -- that's not like a "textbook" conservative either. And Bill Clinton, who despite his personal issues that I gave two farts about, was a pretty decent President overall. He wasn't afraid to launch a few Tomahawks nor was he afraid to reform Welfare, two things you wouldn't expect from a textbook Democrat.

So I'm just saying, never say never. You don't know what the next Democratic candidate might offer.

I will say that, although nobody on this Democratic ticket is particularly attractive to me. If the Dems have to win I'm going to hope for Obama at this point, as he would seem the ideal choice. While I liked her husband okay, I really can't stand Hillary at all. Edwards seems to be a likable enough guy, but he's just too... inexperienced or something. He just doesn't grab me as being a good candidate.

Oh, and my dream candidate? Colin Powell. I'd vote for that man at the drop of a hat. It's too bad that he doesn't enjoy politics, but then again I can't blame him. It's a dirty, dirty game and he's just too classy for it.

theysayjump

30-06-2007 21:02:39

If I could vote I'd vote Green.

h3x

30-06-2007 21:23:41

[quoted525e1eda4="dmorris68"]Don't vote the party line, vote the stand on your issues. Open your mind and listen & research each candidate. Of course if you're conservative you'll probably lean towards that party, but don't be so foolish as to blindly adhere to a party name.[/quoted525e1eda4]

Couldn't have said it better myself.

ilanbg

30-06-2007 21:57:32

I prefer to choose my candidates based on how well I think they would lead. Stances on issues mean nothing if they botch up their approach; just look at Bush. I support, for example, a reassessment of federal involvement with state education, and his stance on slowly closing down Social Security/Medicare, but the No Child Left Behind Act has caused damage more than anything else, and his poor ability to maintain popularity made it politically viable to kill his idea regarding SS and Medicare.

I don't care about party lines, or issues; I base my support on how effective I think each politician would be in office. I choose Obama first because he's articulate, fairly direct, and moderate. To me, those are attributes of a good leader.