Senior Awards Assembly - Plaque/$400, Graduated 6.21.2007!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=65009

TFOAF

20-06-2007 18:09:35

So today...had the senior awards assembly, where seniors are recognized for a variety of things, and scholarships, and teacher awards and whatnot. So I never got in the mail anything that said I was getting something, so that my parents would come to the ceremony. People would get something in the mail. Anyways, at the assembly today, my web design teacher sponsored an award for "Outstanding in Information Technology." This year, both my best friend and I redesigned the high school's website voluntarily. We were her favorite students and she told us she'll never have anyone like us two again. She loved us. She gave us A's every marking period and we didn't do any work because we helped her so much. So what exactly happened? My best friend and I both get recognized and called up to receive the award. Now, a lot of people got scholarship money and things like that. We both received a plaque with a certificate in it for the award. Both my best friend and I are extremely close with our teacher. Taped to the plaque was an envelope. I didn't open it until later at my friend's house. We both had the same thing, but he didn't open it either yet. So when I got to his house, I opened the envelope. It was a card thanking us and hoping to stay in touch. Now, the school doesn't pay for any of this. Wanna know what was inside the envelope along with the card? A $400 debit card to me! shock Both my friend and I got the debit card. That's insane! So yeah. I'm not bragging or anything, but I had no clue I was getting an award, and my parents and everyone else is extremely proud of me.

Anyways...

Tomorrow...June 21, 2007. I graduate high school. Everything's going to change, but I hope to keep in touch with my best friends. So yeah. ) I'll be attending Ramapo College of New Jersey which is a very hard school to get into. I'll be majoring in accounting and pursue a career in accounting, as well as minor in computer science. D

-Craig

[bafa7dfb89e]Website http//www.flhs.org[/bafa7dfb89e]
It was coded in HTML, Javascript, PHP, and CSS. Don't mind the colors and the design too much, it's nothing special -- we had specific guidelines to follow.

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

guelah75

20-06-2007 18:11:20

congrats, what a great teacher

Kidd

20-06-2007 18:12:13

ok so u saved her work by redesigning a webpage that she made shitty and probably couldnt do any better and she repaid u hip hip hooray

Zanpaktou

20-06-2007 18:14:15

I graduated about a month ago.... exactly a month on the 22nd.... its like summer, except youre excited to go to college in the fall.

as far as the award, thats pretty awesome, whats the link to the school's site?

CollidgeGraduit

20-06-2007 18:36:38

[quote131b0e41cb="Kidd"]ok so u saved her work by redesigning a webpage that she made shitty and probably couldnt do any better and she repaid u hip hip hooray[/quote131b0e41cb]

See you in 3 days

TFOAF

20-06-2007 18:45:09

[quote75b3bcf6db="Zanpaktou"]I graduated about a month ago.... exactly a month on the 22nd.... its like summer, except youre excited to go to college in the fall.

as far as the award, thats pretty awesome, whats the link to the school's site?[/quote75b3bcf6db]

[b75b3bcf6db]Website http//www.flhs.org[/b75b3bcf6db]
It was coded in HTML, Javascript, PHP, and CSS. Don't mind the colors and the design too much, it's nothing special -- we had specific guidelines to follow.

jdizzle314

20-06-2007 18:45:23

I am happy i graduated..= ) only thing i am mad about is this teacher i hate gave me a D and is refusing to change it = (..to a C...now i gotta make it up at my local CC to stay in my unvieristy

Psyc

20-06-2007 20:06:57

Bah. I redesigned my school's site and what did I get?

Nothing.

http//fcschools.net/LHS/

zr2152

20-06-2007 20:28:27

congrats craig. Thats a ton of money.

What do you plan on doing with it?

samz465

20-06-2007 21:52:15

I got one more year left...And i'm really gonna miss my friends who are graduating next year.

Iloveipods2

20-06-2007 22:00:59

high school was fun, but college owns high school in every way. congrats, I never got $400 from any teacher....

... of course, I didn't voluntarily redesign the entire school website...

Powerbook

21-06-2007 03:09:16

Graduated last night, spent the entire night in Boston. I got $2000 from my school for my academic record. )

EarnGiftsFree

21-06-2007 03:27:52

WOW! I am glad you were recognized for your achievements. Congratulations on your graduation and good luck in College.

TFOAF

21-06-2007 03:49:28

[quote986628fa96="zr2152"]congrats craig. Thats a ton of money.

What do you plan on doing with it?[/quote986628fa96]
Using it wisely for college.

P.S. @ everyone Thanks. D

tinkerjenn

21-06-2007 04:59:02

Congrats Foafie!!!!

That is a great teacher. I wish there were more like that (not the money part, just the encouragement part) in our school systems.

Powerbook

21-06-2007 05:31:28

Yeah, some of my teachers have been great. Some have changed my life. Hopefully college will be a blast.

tracemhunter

21-06-2007 10:31:42

[quotee8af4591ab="TFOAF"][quotee8af4591ab="zr2152"]congrats craig. Thats a ton of money.

What do you plan on doing with it?[/quotee8af4591ab]

P.S. @ everyone Thanks. D[/quotee8af4591ab]
Using it wisely for college? Come on... College money is supposed to be used on beer and pot. Everybody knows that. College owns high school in every possible way. Just don't expect to keep all of your friends from high school (I think that the average person stays in touch with one out of five of their friends), though facebook helps.

dmorris68

21-06-2007 11:07:46

[quote836805d964="CollidgeGraduit"][quote836805d964="Kidd"]ok so u saved her work by redesigning a webpage that she made shitty and probably couldnt do any better and she repaid u hip hip hooray[/quote836805d964]

See you in 3 days[/quote836805d964]
Beat me to it, I was just waiting to scroll down through the whole page to see who else I could ban while I was in there. )

Oh and congrats, Foafy.

CollidgeGraduit

21-06-2007 11:25:51

[quotefb0ab68ac3="dmorris68"][quotefb0ab68ac3="CollidgeGraduit"][quotefb0ab68ac3="Kidd"]ok so u saved her work by redesigning a webpage that she made shitty and probably couldnt do any better and she repaid u hip hip hooray[/quotefb0ab68ac3]

See you in 3 days[/quotefb0ab68ac3]
Beat me to it, I was just waiting to scroll down through the whole page to see who else I could ban while I was in there. )

Oh and congrats, Foafy.[/quotefb0ab68ac3]

I've got the advantage of young, non-arthritic fingers lol

aviendha47

21-06-2007 16:07:48

That's a great teacher. Congratulations on your graduation!

maksmom

21-06-2007 16:11:34

What a great surprise for you! Congrats on your graduation and to all the seniors out there who are heading off to college (or not)! Good luck to you all!! D

zr2152

21-06-2007 16:44:43

[quotece3cd3e131="tracemhunter"][quotece3cd3e131="TFOAF"][quotece3cd3e131="zr2152"]congrats craig. Thats a ton of money.

What do you plan on doing with it?[/quotece3cd3e131]

P.S. @ everyone Thanks. D[/quotece3cd3e131]
Using it wisely for college? Come on... College money is supposed to be used on beer and pot. Everybody knows that. College owns high school in every possible way. Just don't expect to keep all of your friends from high school (I think that the average person stays in touch with one out of five of their friends), though facebook helps.[/quotece3cd3e131]

You must have missed his earlier thread on smoking. He doesnt smoke or drink..but yeah that money should be spent on something fun.

And as far as friends go...its true. I have like 3 good friends at home that I still stay in touch with. My college buddies are going to be my friends forever.

TFOAF

21-06-2007 19:43:20

My mom wanted me to use it for college and whatnot
Thanks a lot guys. I'm going to miss a lot of things. It rained tonight, which means they hurried up the speeches. P

Meh...so much is going to change now. I don't know what to feel. I've definitely matured throughout my high school career...from not being able to hug a girl to getting/giving hugs. Damn, I have so many people I gotta hang out with over the summer. D

Well anyways. I'm going to sleep after a long night. I didn't go on the Project Graduation trip thing, where they take you to an unknown place where it's "safe and no drinking" and stuff like that. Only like 1/5 of the seniors went. P

Anywho. Good night.

[quoteecbe6e4a7c="tracemhunter"]Just don't expect to keep all of your friends from high school (I think that the average person stays in touch with one out of five of their friends), though facebook helps.[/quoteecbe6e4a7c]
That's "statistics" which are always proven to be inaccurate anyways. I have really close friends who I am never going to part with. It just wouldn't be possible to live life without 'em. That's how close we are. They are literally...a family. ;) lisobli

freedesktoppc

21-06-2007 20:23:52

not to burst your bubble...but ramapo is practically a CC.

TFOAF

21-06-2007 20:27:35

[quote089902abb2="freedesktoppc"]not to burst your bubble...but ramapo is practically a CC.[/quote089902abb2]
You're kidding, right? It's not even close to a Community College. In fact it's on par with Rutgers...or actually better. I believe it's the second best STATE SCHOOL in New Jersey. TCNJ is #1 state school. So if you don't know anything about colleges...don't say it. It's going to soon be accredited for their accounting programs and other business programs. It's soon going to be more than just a state school.

Please read this http//www.ramapo.edu/admissions/us_news.html
and this http//www.ramapo.edu/news/pressreleases/2006/08_23_2006.html

Thanks!

freedesktoppc

22-06-2007 12:08:40

[quote77a2c22d73="TFOAF"][quote77a2c22d73="freedesktoppc"]not to burst your bubble...but ramapo is practically a CC.[/quote77a2c22d73]
You're kidding, right? It's not even close to a Community College. In fact it's on par with Rutgers...or actually better. I believe it's the second best STATE SCHOOL in New Jersey. TCNJ is #1 state school. So if you don't know anything about colleges...don't say it. It's going to soon be accredited for their accounting programs and other business programs. It's soon going to be more than just a state school.

Please read this http//www.ramapo.edu/admissions/us_news.html
and this http//www.ramapo.edu/news/pressreleases/2006/08_23_2006.html

Thanks![/quote77a2c22d73]

ok, maybe I was a bit of an ass about saying it is almost a CC, but the rest of what you wrote has gotta be a joke.

First of all, I don't think you really understand the rankings for the link you posted. Because, if you did you would realize that it is not better than Rutgers. Do you wanna know who it is ranked ahead of? The College of St. Elizabeth. So you can feel proud you are going to a better school than that. I am not trying to shit on you, I actually feel bad for doing this, I jsut found it funny what you said about Ramapo.

Also, by virtue of the fact that they are going to be accredited soon, they are not accredited now. I too went to a school which claimed they were going to become accredited, and they never did. Never assume anything anyone tells you they are going to do will actually ever happen.

dmorris68

22-06-2007 14:03:43

Yeah TFOAF, freedesktoppc has a point, although he WAS a bit of an ass about it. You don't seem to grasp the distinction between a college and a university, and since you're going off to one, let us help you before you really embarrass yourself somewhere. ;)

In the US, colleges and universities are academically very similar when you're talking about a specific degree program. A BA degree from a decent college is pretty much the same as a BA degree from a decent university.

Here in the US, the primary distinction is that a university is a larger [i79b67962ea]collection[/i79b67962ea] of colleges, each with different degree fields (Business, Liberal Arts, Engineering, Medicine, etc.). Colleges specialize in a single field, such as Liberal Arts as it seems in Ramapo's case. Universities are also heavily into research and funded accordingly, and usually have extensive graduate study programs as well. Some colleges offer limited graduate degrees, such as MBA's, but I'm not sure than many -- if any -- colleges have PhD programs.

That doesn't mean Ramapo is a substandard school -- it may very well be better than many university colleges, so don't take that as a criticism. From the articles, it looks pretty prestigious... for a college. But when you compare something like Ramapo College to something like Rutgers University, it makes you look a little foolish, since you're comparing apples and oranges really.

And FYI, the US is one of the only countries where colleges can even issue degrees. In Canada and most of Europe, only universities issue degrees. Colleges can only issue diplomas and certificates. Sorta like vocational or trade schools. There are a lot of "colleges" in the US do that as well. This is why some people that go to universities will look down their nose at people who go to colleges. Which is often unfounded and ignorant, but that's the way this crazy world works.

Community Colleges (CC's) on the other hand do not grant four year degrees and are typically smaller than full colleges.

Oh, and from what I read, Ramapo is accredited as a college, so I take it FOAFY was referring to their accounting program not being accredited by some accounting certification body or something.

freedesktoppc

22-06-2007 14:39:48

[quote1a743170ac="dmorris68"]Yeah TFOAF, freedesktoppc has a point, although he WAS a bit of an ass about it. You don't seem to grasp the distinction between a college and a university, and since you're going off to one, let us help you before you really embarrass yourself somewhere. ;)

In the US, colleges and universities are academically very similar when you're talking about a specific degree program. A BA degree from a decent college is pretty much the same as a BA degree from a decent university.

Here in the US, the primary distinction is that a university is a larger [i1a743170ac]collection[/i1a743170ac] of colleges, each with different degree fields (Business, Liberal Arts, Engineering, Medicine, etc.). Colleges specialize in a single field, such as Liberal Arts as it seems in Ramapo's case. Universities are also heavily into research and funded accordingly, and usually have extensive graduate study programs as well. Some colleges offer limited graduate degrees, such as MBA's, but I'm not sure than many -- if any -- colleges have PhD programs.

That doesn't mean Ramapo is a substandard school -- it may very well be better than many university colleges, so don't take that as a criticism. From the articles, it looks pretty prestigious... for a college. But when you compare something like Ramapo College to something like Rutgers University, it makes you look a little foolish, since you're comparing apples and oranges really.

And FYI, the US is one of the only countries where colleges can even issue degrees. In Canada and most of Europe, only universities issue degrees. Colleges can only issue diplomas and certificates. Sorta like vocational or trade schools. There are a lot of "colleges" in the US do that as well. This is why some people that go to universities will look down their nose at people who go to colleges. Which is often unfounded and ignorant, but that's the way this crazy world works.

Community Colleges (CC's) on the other hand do not grant four year degrees and are typically smaller than full colleges.

Oh, and from what I read, Ramapo is accredited as a college, so I take it FOAFY was referring to their accounting program not being accredited by some accounting certification body or something.[/quote1a743170ac]

I understood the point about undergrad business school acred. but its pretty difficult for a school to get, so many schools claim they are in the process if they don't actually have it.