NY Assembly Approves Medical Marijuana Bill

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=64559

ldybug1752

15-06-2007 16:28:38

[quote27606cc2f0]From NORML.ORG

NY Assembly Passes Medical Marijuana Bill!

Dear NORML Supporter

NORML is pleased to announce that Assembly Bill 4867, an act to authorize the medical use of marijuana for qualifying New York patients, was approved by the New York Assembly yesterday by a vote of 92-52 and will now go to the Senate for consideration. The vote marks the first time in modern history that a legislative chamber in New York has approved legalizing the possession and use of medical cannabis.

If passed, AB 4867 would allow authorized patients, under a physician's supervision, to possess up to two and a half ounces of cannabis and/or twelve marijuana plants for therapeutic purposes. (Read the full text of the bill here http//assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A04867.)

Also this week, New York Governor Eliot Spitzer announced his support of the measure -- marking a reversal from his previous opposition to the bill. The Governor's endorsement greatly improves the likelihood that the legislature will move forward on this measure.

However, because this year's legislative session ends shortly, it is vital that you contact your Senator today and urge him or her to support AB 4867. (Contact information is available here http//www.senate.state.ny.us/senatehomepage.nsf/senators?OpenForm.)

Please be courteous when speaking to legislative staff. Tell them, "I'm calling to urge your support for Assembly Bill 4867, which seeks to create medicinal cannabis program in New York. Passage of this bill would ensure that patients who use cannabis under a doctor's supervision to treat life-threatening medical conditions receive legal protection under state law, while continuing to keep in ! place ex isting restrictions limiting the drug's use and abuse in non-medical settings. Please stand up for the health of New York's citizens and support AB 4867.

Thank you once again for supporting marijuana law reform and helping to protect patients in New York.

Sincerely,
Erin Dame
NORML Outreach Coordinator[/quote27606cc2f0]

Well..I'm from NY, and I'm happy to see this. It was already decriminalized, so it was only a matter of time. I know a few people who could/could HAVE benefitted from medical marijuana, and I only hope more states follow us in the decision. I know many of you won't agree, and I certainly am open to discussion, but please, keep your flames to yourself. D

puppeteer

15-06-2007 16:53:13

so ladybug youre a pothead O_O JK! D

wasabe

15-06-2007 17:04:41

[quotede88e5413a="puppeteer"]so ladybug youre a pothead O_O JK! D[/quotede88e5413a]

Hey now, maybe ldybug1752 is a terminal cancer patient.

And maybe I'm Bill Cosby.

justin2610

15-06-2007 17:25:01

http//forum.freeipodguide.com/smilies_mod/upload/623dc1467a1f1a3eb724ae93d7bf1de7.gif[" alt=""/imgf4110a373a]

One small step for Medicine, One leap for Marijuana....

nobody2000

15-06-2007 17:27:15

Is weed really the best way to ease pain and suffering for people?

You'd think that someone would have been creative enough by now to address that.

ldybug1752

15-06-2007 17:35:36

Actually, weed does wonders for pain and nausea, and eases discomfort. I'm guessing you've either never smoked marijuana, or haven't done any kind of "medical marijuana use" searches. There's a reason marijuana is used for these situations...it helps.

ilanbg

15-06-2007 17:46:14

I hate when politics and science clash...

Good to see this is in effect.

aviendha47

15-06-2007 18:14:24

That's great news for NY, good luck with the Senate )

ILoveToys

15-06-2007 18:52:45

Big deal...like it's hard to smoke it now if you want to....So a doctor could prescribe it, and it'll be legal, but stay in your house and don't get caught...... Seems about the same to me.

good2speed

15-06-2007 19:19:40

[quote5f73e1909a="ILoveToys"]Big deal...like it's hard to smoke it now if you want to....So a doctor could prescribe it, and it'll be legal, but stay in your house and don't get caught...... Seems about the same to me.[/quote5f73e1909a]

not quite with the new bill it would be legal for someone to purchase medical marijuana. Under the current system a user would depend on aquiring the banned substance on the black market. Buying marijuana on the black market is illegal and one could be fined/arrested for doing so even under medical pretenses. Also the marijuana found at the street level is inferior to that purchased through medical marijuana shops.

dont get too excited as the NYS senate still needs to vote on this

ILoveToys

15-06-2007 19:22:49

Thanks G2S for telling me it's illegal to buy pot. I never knew that before!!!!! Anyway, it's not hard to come by, and it's not hard to not get caught.

good2speed

15-06-2007 19:29:42

[quote8591e4f774="ILoveToys"]Thanks G2S for telling me it's illegal to buy pot. I never knew that before!!!!! Anyway, it's not hard to come by, and it's not hard to not get caught.[/quote8591e4f774]

Listen I smoked pot when you were fucking watching cartoons on saturday morning. Just because you may have a legitimate contact that you can meet in privacy and feel comfortable to not get arrested doesn't mean everyone in the state of New York has it the same way. Many people I know of are busted on aquiring/selling weed on the street. I even know NYC delivery men that dont respond to numbers they dont know.

The law is designed for everyone not just you bonehead. Not everyone may feel safe aquiring weed.

And before you go any further pelase state your age. And yes it is important

ILoveToys

15-06-2007 19:37:54

I'm 23 (why's it important?) and I don't smoke pot, and I never have, but I know plenty of ppl that do and never have issues.

I'm glad you know ppl who get busted. They should, especially if they're selling it.

good2speed

15-06-2007 19:40:58

[quote58f83b1521="ILoveToys"]I'm 23 (why's it important?) and I don't smoke pot, and I never have, but I know plenty of ppl that do and never have issues.

I'm glad you know ppl who get busted. They should, especially if they're selling it.[/quote58f83b1521]

ok so you know nothing about weed but your standing behind your claims because 'you know peole that do it'. Why are you even in this thread

ILoveToys

15-06-2007 19:45:52

So again, why does it matter that I'm 23 (b/c you wanted to call me a stupid teenager or something else dumb about cartoons)? I know nothing b/c I'm not dumb enough to waste my time or place my career at risk my smoking pot? Wow! again you amaze me, because I thought you could know about things you've never done.

I've never played hockey, but I know the rules pretty much......or at least I thought I did....I guess G2S I don't know shit about hockey either because I've never played it (I do love this logic or lack there of)

Weed is like underage drinking. Only the dumb people get caught.

good2speed

15-06-2007 19:52:24

[quote5c06154f43="ILoveToys"]So again, why does it matter that I'm 23 (b/c you wanted to call me a stupid teenager or something else dumb about cartoons). I know nothing b/c I'm not dumb enough to waste my time or place my career at risk my smoking pot? Wow! again you amaze me, because I thought you could know about things you've never done.

I've never played hockey, but I know the rules pretty much......or at least I thought I did....I guess G2S I don't know shit about hockey either because I've never played it (I do love this logic or lack there of)

Weed is like underage drinking. Only the dumb people get caught.[/quote5c06154f43]

Ya Im 29 so you were probably watching cartoons when I was smoking weed(16 you were 10). I dont care if you smoke weed or not but to decide on how easy it is to get and aquire when you dont do it yourself is ridiculous.

I may know people that sell and people that use RPG's( I dont). That doesnt mean that I would know its a safe practice to purchase them. Shit even if I did know someone who sold an RPG I would still be nervous as hell trying to aquire one even if it was purchased on mars. You cant equate a person's comfort level when you yourself have never been in the situation. You may think you understand but you dont. You can understand the game of hockey but you dont know how it feels to be on that ice in an important game.

cleaninfaery

15-06-2007 19:52:30

[quotedd1e1dd557="nobody2000"]Is weed really the best way to ease pain and suffering for people?

You'd think that someone would have been creative enough by now to address that.[/quotedd1e1dd557] actually yes for some..my husbands aunt ides of cancer but weed was something that could ease her pain without making her spew allover because of the many meds they had her on.
also my father had cancer and surgery they removed half of his stomache and he was never hungry, not so great when you need to worry about your health and nutrition...so a toke here and there would help him eat so that he could regain a better immune sytem to beat the cancer.
congrats on ny hope the senate passes it

aviendha47

15-06-2007 19:53:13

[quotebebcc46dcc="ILoveToys"]Thanks G2S for telling me it's illegal to buy pot. I never knew that before!!!!! Anyway, it's not hard to come by, and it's not hard to not get caught.[/quotebebcc46dcc]

It may be hard to come by if you're, say, Grandma with glaucoma. Unless she's got some stoner grandchildren chances are it's gonna be hard to get hooked up.

good2speed

15-06-2007 19:54:25

[quote6a9a2f2709="aviendha47"][quote6a9a2f2709="ILoveToys"]Thanks G2S for telling me it's illegal to buy pot. I never knew that before!!!!! Anyway, it's not hard to come by, and it's not hard to not get caught.[/quote6a9a2f2709]

It may be hard to come by if you're, say, Grandma with glaucoma. Unless she's got some stoner grandchildren chances are it's gonna be hard to get hooked up.[/quote6a9a2f2709]

hes not concerned with that. Laws should only apply to him and what he feels is his personal gauge on the situation

ILoveToys

15-06-2007 19:54:51

ok.....

I can't understand....

Whatever

tylerc

15-06-2007 20:36:33

GO WEED

TryinToGetPaid

16-06-2007 10:20:25

G2S = an ass

ILoveToys

16-06-2007 10:24:31

[quoted580c5c656="TryinToGetPaid"]G2S = an ass[/quoted580c5c656]

wink

TryinToGetPaid

16-06-2007 11:03:06

"I was smoking pot when you were watching saturday cartoons"

Wow, were you also using heroin and PCP then too.....

thikidflyss

16-06-2007 11:15:04

About time NY is passing this bill.

I need to get me some medical weed, and fast.

wasabe

16-06-2007 12:25:58

Actually, I bet smoking weed would make today's crop of Saturday morning programming actually watchable.

good2speed

16-06-2007 12:32:37

[quoteb3b36bad95="TryinToGetPaid"]G2S = an ass[/quoteb3b36bad95]

please use your brain and bring something productive to the conversation not your affection towards me. I could've argued you with you many times but have decided to take the high road. Dont provoke me.

Bentley

16-06-2007 13:06:02

G2S = on-topic. The last the the topic creator said was keep flames to yourself and you some of you have all ready shatted and pissed all over this thread. Get off your moral horse

Allen626

16-06-2007 13:24:11

ILoveToys

16-06-2007 14:52:17

I still don't understand.....I don't think..... roll roll roll

nobody2000

16-06-2007 16:17:41

[quote7fb559c515="ldybug1752"]Actually, weed does wonders for pain and nausea, and eases discomfort. I'm guessing you've either never smoked marijuana, or haven't done any kind of "medical marijuana use" searches. There's a reason marijuana is used for these situations...it helps.[/quote7fb559c515]

I'm guessing you read into my post so much you got nothing out of it.

I didn't say anything bad about medical marijuana, and I didn't mention anything other than isn't there other alternatives, is this really the best?
I've been to amsterdam, I used to have my hair long, and I've blown my fair share of cash at weed, and I probably still will. I've also taken other over the counter drugs, and I just feel like someone could make something that has the benefits of weed (i mean pain easing and anti-nausea) without getting super high.

I think that people promote medical marijuana so much because while it does help sick people, it's like you've successfully circumvented the law (in a way, but not really). THC pills are great too, and if you've ever taken those, you know what I'm talking about. It's a lot like special brownies.

I just have so many stigmas about smoking, that I think that people should be given an ingestible form. It's easier to identify as "legal medical use" and doesn't harm the lungs. Also, with all the pharmecutical research, I think that we could come up with something really good, and equally as safe (or better) than weed.

But yeah...don't read into my posts so much that you misconstrue (sp?) it.

ldybug1752

16-06-2007 16:44:05

[quote30e3587de9="nobody2000"][quote30e3587de9="ldybug1752"]Actually, weed does wonders for pain and nausea, and eases discomfort. I'm guessing you've either never smoked marijuana, or haven't done any kind of "medical marijuana use" searches. There's a reason marijuana is used for these situations...it helps.[/quote30e3587de9]

I'm guessing you read into my post so much you got nothing out of it.

I didn't say anything bad about medical marijuana, and I didn't mention anything other than isn't there other alternatives, is this really the best?
I've been to amsterdam, I used to have my hair long, and I've blown my fair share of cash at weed, and I probably still will. I've also taken other over the counter drugs, and I just feel like someone could make something that has the benefits of weed (i mean pain easing and anti-nausea) without getting super high.

I think that people promote medical marijuana so much because while it does help sick people, it's like you've successfully circumvented the law (in a way, but not really). THC pills are great too, and if you've ever taken those, you know what I'm talking about. It's a lot like special brownies.

I just have so many stigmas about smoking, that I think that people should be given an ingestible form. It's easier to identify as "legal medical use" and doesn't harm the lungs. Also, with all the pharmecutical research, I think that we could come up with something really good, and equally as safe (or better) than weed.

But yeah...don't read into my posts so much that you misconstrue (sp?) it.[/quote30e3587de9]

I apologize, I didn't know I "read into your post so much"..I don't think I did. It's not like your first post had specifics. I also don't know what going to Amsterdam or having your hair long has anything to do with the benefits of medical marijuana. Maybe I'm just confused.

I have taken THC pills, which felt like I had smoked more than I ever had in my life, and while it was great, it was almost too much..I can see how it would help someone who was prescribed it, but it's just not for me. I enjoy smoking, and if I ever have a medical condition where marijuana MAY or MAY NOT help, I'd try in a heartbeat.

All a difference of opinion I suppose. shrug

On a side note, I've never been to Amsterdam, and I'm jealous ;)

ILoveToys

16-06-2007 17:17:41

What is going on here....I still can't understand.....

good2speed

16-06-2007 18:24:03

[quoteb8d52eafb0="Allen626"]
ROFL selling weed on the street. Smart ones there. Weed delivery guys too rofl. Maybe dro, and very rarely. Sure for coke you get delivery guys but the profit margin is a little bit different there.

Most cops, at least here, don't care about weed and only coke or other hard drugs. Sure if you are retarded you are going to get caught. And there is always a problem with having it in your car or on you, but that is blindingly obvious.

And BTW 19 almost 20[/quoteb8d52eafb0]

do you live in New York or have you ever been there?

good2speed

16-06-2007 18:42:03

Better yet let me give you kids a real life scenario.

There is a grandma with cancer who tried all types of medication but found none of them gave her the relief that marijuana supplied. In fact she found the other drugs to produce to many side effects and marijuana was the only drug that made her feel at ease.

She knew she needed a more affordable solution to her problems as she couldnt keep aquiring marijuana through the black amrket as it was too expensive for her budget. She reads up on the internet and discovers techniques to grow it herself. She begins doing this and shortly yields crops at a low financial overhead.

She does this for months and only grows for personal use. One of her grandsons finds out about it however and decides its cool to tell his/her friends about it. The friends go on to tell not so trust worthy people. These people decide to blackmale the grandma that she either give them free weed or they'll tell the cops she is illegally growing weed.

So now she is with left with 2 options.

1. give the minors some weed to keep hush. May turn out later to bite her in the ass for doing so as she may be arressted later on anyways.

2. tell the kids no but they do call the cops and she is faced with a possible arrest.

So how would this law not effect this grandma. You dont think this would make life easier for her? Or should she buy weed through the black market at outrageous prices? Or should she continue to disobey the law and continue to grow in her house?

ilanbg

16-06-2007 18:52:12

G2S Individual scenarios make for poor arguments, because they require a small view of a larger issue; just as easily, a contrasting scenario can exist.

Here is what can be asked What are the negative effects of smoking marijuana (including subjective, objective, and scientific effects)? Then Are these effects detrimental to someone with a disease that forces them to resort to controversial drugs for remedy? That is, do the positive results (physical relief from pain) outweigh any of the possible effects that an otherwise healthy person might be deterred from?

The answer to the above, I think, points towards legalized medicinal marijuana.

ILoveToys

16-06-2007 20:35:54

G2S....What is your highest level of formal education??? And yes it matters.

Allen626

17-06-2007 14:32:13

Kidd

17-06-2007 15:02:47

honestly im from ny and people here to deal on the "street"

many people have it arranged to be sold at their house via delivery men on bikes and what have u.

the way me and my buds do it is we meet up with the guy around the neighborhood hes been at.

my connection has been dealing for 8 years and has done it very smart.

most weed guys wont travel to selll to you unless your getting a couple ounces. basically your out of luck if u dont wanna travel or u dont know someone in that neighborhood or city that deals.

missalicia

17-06-2007 17:27:00

Wow! Interesting heated discussion! GO New York!!!

ldybug1752

17-06-2007 18:58:34

People don't specifically "sell it on the streets" here in upstate NY, we just go to the dude's house, like most everyone else around here..

I'm guessing the city is a different story shrug

ILoveToys

21-06-2007 21:56:34

[quote37aaddd4b7="ILoveToys"]G2S....What is your highest level of formal education??? And yes it matters.[/quote37aaddd4b7]

good2speed

21-06-2007 22:37:16

[quote2f1eea1f84="ILoveToys"][quote2f1eea1f84="ILoveToys"]G2S....What is your highest level of formal education??? And yes it matters.[/quote2f1eea1f84][/quote2f1eea1f84]

I have a BA in Computer Science. Minor in political science.

h3x

22-06-2007 00:27:46

[quote6b9b783b3a="ldybug1752"]People don't specifically "sell it on the streets" here in upstate NY, we just go to the dude's house, like most everyone else around here..

I'm guessing the city is a different story shrug[/quote6b9b783b3a]

No one sells it on the streets here... Its basically like ordering a pizza you phone it in, and the delivery guy comes to your house.