Got into a wreck today :(

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=64274

benner410

12-06-2007 13:00:29

So I was on my way to school this morning and I was on a busy road. I got into the designated left hand turn lane to turn into a shopping center to chill and eat my breakfast before school. I was turning left and this lady comes out of no where in a white nissan and slams into the front right of my car. The wrecker told me it was totaled, but I could drive it through the parking lot to park it and the front right wheel is kind of bent and the lights, hood, and lip are smashed. Insurance is going by the lot to look at it later. I hope it's not totaled. I made a MS paint picture of what happened.

I didn't take any pictures because I forgot to. Other wise I would have posted them on here.

I was driving a 2003 Mazda 6s

[img394f4750fe]http/" alt=""/img513.imageshack.us/img="513/6268/wreckkg1.th.png[" alt=""/img394f4750fe][=http//img="513.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wreckkg1.png][img394f4750fe]http/" alt=""/img513.imageshack.us/img="513/6268/wreckkg1.th.png[" alt=""/img394f4750fe]

TryinToGetPaid

12-06-2007 13:01:55

Hm, is your back hurt?

benner410

12-06-2007 13:05:45

[quote3207bcb4d9="TryinToGetPaid"]Hm, is your back hurt?[/quote3207bcb4d9]

no, just a bruised knee... Im really upset about this though. I loved that car

manOFice

12-06-2007 13:06:10

Hope you're not hurt but 100% her fault...get the money! Get the money!!

TryinToGetPaid

12-06-2007 13:06:21

It was her fault, no?

Your back should be hurting.

MyungChunHa

12-06-2007 13:07:31

[quote7fe72b2d3f="benner410"]
I was driving a 2003 Mazda 6s[/quote7fe72b2d3f]
shock

That's the car I was thinking about buying, did it protect you well in the crash?

kidd2108

12-06-2007 13:09:28

There was no streetlight there?

Excel

12-06-2007 13:15:34

Your first car, I assume? Its always hard to let your first car go, unfortunately. Sounds like from what you describe, even if they can repair it, it will never drive the same again.

Big War Bird

12-06-2007 13:18:08

Never buy a nice first car, you won't have it long anyway.

benner410

12-06-2007 13:18:20

[quote1612ed7291="MyungChunHa"][quote1612ed7291="benner410"]
I was driving a 2003 Mazda 6s[/quote1612ed7291]
shock

That's the car I was thinking about buying, did it protect you well in the crash?[/quote1612ed7291]

Yea pretty well actually, I was going about 15 mph when she hit me, and her hood completely rolled up, fluid everywhere, smoking, broken windshield, her airbags deployed, and she was cut up pretty bad... Me? my front right was kind of crunched. My airbags didn't even deploy.

VERY safe car. It was really strong. However, little pieces of plastic flying through the air could be bad if your window is down (lol). But thats about it. I sure hope it isn't totaled. I loved that little car.

And no, my back isn't hurting. I have a good back. Im only 18 and I play a lot of sports and workout often. No back trouble here.

And no, no streetlight here, it was a shopping center in between 2 lights, if you get what I mean... Like you pass one light, and on your way to the next one, you turn into a business off the main road. Kind of hard to explain, but you get it.

And yea, cops said it was her fault and she got a pretty big ticket. Wreckless endangerment and other stuff idk.

TryinToGetPaid

12-06-2007 13:19:58

Yeah, so your back should have been killing you. -)

ilanbg

12-06-2007 13:25:03

The sad thing is I could never make a picture as good as that with MS Paint. (

manOFice

12-06-2007 13:25:53

[quoteebc5a95114="TryinToGetPaid"]Yeah, so your back should have been killing you. -)[/quoteebc5a95114]

hehe, such a scammerrrrr lol

Admin

12-06-2007 13:35:41

[quote85633d826b="TryinToGetPaid"]Yeah, so your back should have been killing you. -)[/quote85633d826b]
i know you're messing around but this society is fucking litigious enough as it is. be thankful he wasn't hurt, get your check from the insurance company, and move on. jesus.

TryinToGetPaid

12-06-2007 14:14:54

I say that because one time I was in a car, that we didn't yield and we scraped the paint off some guys driver side door. The people sitting behind the passenger had to be taken to the hospital, because "AW MAN! My neck hurts!"

And then later were seen a 300C with shiny rims.....

My girlfriend also works for a defense firm for insurance companies, and I know saying your back hurt, can get you 6 figures easily. Is it wrong? Yeah, but that is the world today.

doylnea

12-06-2007 14:20:10

[quoteff4ab0b862="TryinToGetPaid"]My girlfriend also works for a defense firm for insurance companies, and I know saying your back hurt, can get you 6 figures easily. Is it wrong? Yeah, but that is the world today.[/quoteff4ab0b862]

So by the same logic, fraudulently completing offers on ZPT is wrong, but that is the world today, so as many people as possible should try to get away with it?

TryinToGetPaid

12-06-2007 14:21:17

They already do. There will always be someone trying to beat the system.

benner410

12-06-2007 14:25:45

OUCH my back just started to hurt... I think I'm gonna go get it checked out.

Then use the money to pay for a lot of things so I can finally stop frauding ZPT (just kidding, lol).. I will ALWAYS fraud ZPT... again, kidding... ive never used ZPT, but may in the future.

Big War Bird

12-06-2007 15:01:44

Totaled only means the cost to fix it is more than the car is worth.

Really you should WANT your car to be totaled. That way you get the max value of the car. You don't want a car that has been wrecked. Chances of it being the same after its been fixed are not that good.

MyungChunHa

12-06-2007 15:04:22

[quote92fb92c5cd="benner410"][quote92fb92c5cd="MyungChunHa"][quote92fb92c5cd="benner410"]
I was driving a 2003 Mazda 6s[/quote92fb92c5cd]
shock

That's the car I was thinking about buying, did it protect you well in the crash?[/quote92fb92c5cd]

Yea pretty well actually, I was going about 15 mph when she hit me, and her hood completely rolled up, fluid everywhere, smoking, broken windshield, her airbags deployed, and she was cut up pretty bad... Me? my front right was kind of crunched. My airbags didn't even deploy.

VERY safe car. It was really strong. However, little pieces of plastic flying through the air could be bad if your window is down (lol). But thats about it. I sure hope it isn't totaled. I loved that little car.[/quote92fb92c5cd]
That's awesome to hear, now I just got to figure out how to pay for the damn thing ?

booklover1104

12-06-2007 15:04:37

depends on if he is still paying for it and if he got Gap insurance...
my sister bought a new car and it was totalled in a hurricane...she didn't purchase Gap ins and so she was upside down for about $1500. She ended up having to transfer that balance onto a new car loan. I've bought gap ins for every vehicle i've bought since.

CollidgeGraduit

12-06-2007 15:08:37

[quote2a85e088a2="TryinToGetPaid"]They already do. There will always be someone trying to beat the system.[/quote2a85e088a2]

That's because there will always be people with situational ethics, and people who think something wrong is okay, because "other people are doing it anyway."

On the other hand, there still are a few people left with enough character to do what's right, not what benefits them the most.

samz465

12-06-2007 15:12:38

[quote03610e6a8b="TryinToGetPaid"]Yeah, so your back should have been killing you. -)[/quote03610e6a8b]
Lol to that.

[quote03610e6a8b="benner410"]OUCH my back just started to hurt... I think I'm gonna go get it checked out.

Then use the money to pay for a lot of things so I can finally stop frauding ZPT (just kidding, lol).. I will ALWAYS fraud ZPT... again, kidding... ive never used ZPT, but may in the future.[/quote03610e6a8b]

Double lol!

My friend actually has the same car and he loves it...
It's very comfortable.

gmario

12-06-2007 15:40:39

I'm sure you'll get a check to get a new car. Your just lucky it wasn't to bad trust me i know the check is nice in the long run but not all the therapy and other stuff to it.

benner410

12-06-2007 15:50:56

If it's totaled, does insurance cover what I paid for it? My mom keeps telling me it's half of what you paid for it.

CollidgeGraduit

12-06-2007 15:55:22

[quote142f2c4f5c="benner410"]If it's totaled, does insurance cover what I paid for it? My mom keeps telling me it's half of what you paid for it.[/quote142f2c4f5c]

Insurance generally pays you the kelley blue book value for it, minus what your deductible was.

Big War Bird

12-06-2007 16:05:24

[quote4bf87aaa4f="CollidgeGraduit"][quote4bf87aaa4f="benner410"]If it's totaled, does insurance cover what I paid for it? My mom keeps telling me it's half of what you paid for it.[/quote4bf87aaa4f]

Insurance generally pays you the kelley blue book value for it, minus what your deductible was.[/quote4bf87aaa4f]

That is if the accident was his fault. If was the other persons fault you will get the full blue book value from the your insurance carrier (who will then collect from the otehr person's insurance)

CollidgeGraduit

12-06-2007 16:12:46

[quote4b5657af01="Big War Bird"][quote4b5657af01="CollidgeGraduit"][quote4b5657af01="benner410"]If it's totaled, does insurance cover what I paid for it? My mom keeps telling me it's half of what you paid for it.[/quote4b5657af01]

Insurance generally pays you the kelley blue book value for it, minus what your deductible was.[/quote4b5657af01]

That is if the accident was his fault. If was the other persons fault you will get the full blue book value from the your insurance carrier (who will then collect from the otehr person's insurance)[/quote4b5657af01]

Gotcha. Well, in Michigan the law is no-fault, so no matter who was at fault in most cases, all you get is KBB value minus your deductible.

If you feel the accident was an extreme (other person was drunk, asleep at the wheel, extreme speeding) you can sue, but most cases that doesn't happen.

benner410

12-06-2007 16:24:46

Well I live in Texas.. I'm not sure of the law here. And it was her fault.

TryinToGetPaid

12-06-2007 16:27:54

You can sue for anything crash related, ex. injuries or trauma. Most cases settle before court. Now this may not be true for all states, and I know Louisiana is always 49th or 50th in Education - but from what I gather, and my girlfriend tells me after work, it is usually how it works in Louisiana. I once hit a drunk guy who was turning, and he slowed down to a complete stop before turning off of a road with the sleep limit of 50. I was at fault, but because he was intoxicated - I was not given a ticket. They tried to sue me for "ouch my back hurts" but the day of the court day the guy pleaded guilty, and the wife dropped her case against me.

On a side note Did know you know, that any accident in the parking lot is no one's fault?

gmario

12-06-2007 16:31:58

FL is a no fault state (

Tholek

12-06-2007 18:20:08

A few years ago I walked down a subway stairwell while it was snowing. I was careful too, and had a good footing, but it turned out the step wasn't flat, and away I went. Now when I got to the bottom, I was able to stand and walk like nothing was wrong. I felt lucky. It was months before I experienced problem bending and pain, which I still do to this day.

Just putting that out there...

Admin

12-06-2007 18:41:53

[quote060b5ffe82="TryinToGetPaid"]On a side note Did know you know, that any accident in the parking lot is no one's fault?[/quote060b5ffe82]

yeah -- most are private property and the vehicle code generally does not apply

here in CA, however, a parking lot owner can post a sign at every entrance requesting that police enforce the vehicle code at which point the lot basically becomes a road for the purposes of the law

dmorris68

12-06-2007 19:22:23

[quoted0f59b41c6="TryinToGetPaid"]On a side note Did know you know, that any accident in the parking lot is no one's fault?[/quoted0f59b41c6]
Nor any other private property. Cops cannot issue citations nor assign fault on private property. Only on public roadways. However it's still critical to call them to a private property accident because their report is what the insurance companies go by. If you don't get an accident report, you essentially waive a lot of your rights with your insurance company.

And in Georgia cops don't assign fault in accidents anyway. They can only issue any citations due to law violations, but it's up the to the insurance companies to assign/accept fault. I was once cited with a warning for an accident when a girl ran a red light and hit me after I was committed to a left turn. I was cited for failure to yield and she was not, even though we had a witness who stopped and told the cops she ran the light. I told State Farm, who talked to the witness, and they agreed that it wasn't my fault. They covered my own damage, nothing for her, and indicated they might sue her or her insurance company. Not sure if they did because I was released and my damage paid for, and it never showed up on my claim history either. State Farm has always been good to me. )

As far as totaling a vehicle, it limightli vary state to state, but in my experience all you will ever get is fair market value for your vehicle, regardless of what you own. If you're upside down on a vehicle, that's considered your own problem, not the insurance company's. Basically the insurance company is buying your vehicle from you, and like any other buyer, you can't expect them to pay you what you owe if the vehicle isn't worth that much. In my state this is true whether it's the other person's fault or not.

stueybaby17

12-06-2007 20:29:29

[quote57bf5157d1="TryinToGetPaid"]You can sue for anything crash related, ex. injuries or trauma. Most cases settle before court. [/quote57bf5157d1]

In PA you can sue for like medical bills or whatever. But if you would like to sue for pain and suffering you must have a full tort option. Which increases the cost of your insurence quite a bit. At least for me.

manOFice

12-06-2007 20:48:28

Man...since moving to NC...i have to watch every angle before doing anything! Drivers suck down here

benner410

13-06-2007 14:15:51

I think my car MIGHT be able to be fixed... No fame/suspension problems that they can find so far.

nobody2000

13-06-2007 14:20:51

I once was a chiropractic student, (not for me) and you should get a full checkup by a chiropractor. These types of things can be subtle incubating injuries that creep up and fuck you later on. Remember, an object that weighs several tons hit you. There's a lot of energy being transfered. Get a checkup NOW. If they find something wrong, they'll take care of it, AND if they find something wrong, you'll have basis for a legitimate lawsuit in case you ARE seriously injured.

A friend of mine got in a wreck similar to yours and now she's in pain every day. She's 22 and got into the wreck at 15 or 16. Doctors tell her she really should have taken action then, and there's not a hell of a lot they can do now (other than epensive surgery). Go get a checkup...now.

lorny35

15-06-2007 08:52:20

Ok, nothing to do with a car accident, but this has to do with injuries bothering you later on.
2 years ago, almost to they day, I was standing on the back deck of my apt. Wooden deck, all new paint, good and sturdy.
Well, so we thought. I was up agains the rail, and when I turned to go back inside, I fell through some wood that was dry-rotted. Of course, you couldn't tell with all the paint.
Anyway, I got hurt. Messed up my right hip and lower back. I went to the ER, and then got a lawyer and started seeing a Chiro. I saw him every day for about 3 weeks, then every other day, then dwindled it down to where it was only once a week, then every 2 weeks. This took 5 months. So when doc released me, and said I was better, he put in the paperwork that this was temporary, and there was no guarantee that I would not have long term affects. So, the owners ins. co. payed my bills. I was doing good. For awhile. They denied me pain and suffering, and after all the bills and the lawyer got paid, I got a big whopping $1600.00.
Now, here is where the story turns. Because my chiro put that there was no guarantee of long term affects, I am in the process of suing them again. For the last year, I have been having awful pain. Turns out my sciotic (sp) nerve is damaged. I can't walk very far, I can't bend or squat without pain. I cannot lift anything over about 10 lbs. I cannot sit in this chair for long without pain. I can't get comfortable in bed. So many things. My life is definately not the same as it was 2 years ago. And I DID seek medical attention right away.
They are saying this could drag on for 7-10 years, as the insurance company is fighting me.
The owner of the building was negligant, and after my accident had to re-do the whole deck. They even tried to cover it up. Had a guy there THAT night to replace the boards that were bad and re-paint.
Well, hurt as I was, I still got pictures. From both above, and below.
They sure were stunned when my lawyer produced those pictures!!
So anyway. I agree with nobody2000. It may not be a bad idea to get checked. Even if you feel good now, you may not a week or 2 down the road.

EatChex89

15-09-2008 10:17:07

So to save from starting a new thread, I thought I would just like to say that airbags can save lives if they work properly.

I got in a minor fender bender today (my fault, I believe, although I'm not sure how it happened as traffic was very stop/go on a streetway)

Anyway I ran into the back of this girl and my damn airbag deployed and bruised the shit out of my face. Not that bad, but my lip is puffy. It really sucks, because I was not going no more than 15mph. The only damage that occurred to either of our cars was that my signal light on the left popped out and fell onto the street but it was already loose from a previous accident (fender bender) that the owner got into.

I'm just pissed because my fucking steering wheel looks like shit. I don't think the airbag should have come out, the force was strong but not that strong. Not airbag strong. Fuck this. I'm not getting a new one, I just cut it off and my steering wheel looks like shit. I'm going to try to glue it together or something.

I wonder if I could try to get my insurance to pay for it? Anyone know anything about this? Like if I said it just "deployed"? My car is so old so it could have happened anyway. Oh well. what a shitty day.

bballp6699

15-09-2008 13:25:50

Insurance to pay for an air bag in a fender bender that you caused? What kind of insurance do you have? I'm guessing, since you said the car is old, that you don't have the right insurance even if they would cover it (which I doubt.)

EatChex89

15-09-2008 13:36:55

[quoteac2379e220="bballp6699"]Insurance to pay for an air bag in a fender bender that you caused? What kind of insurance do you have? I'm guessing, since you said the car is old, that you don't have the right insurance even if they would cover it (which I doubt.)[/quoteac2379e220]

yeah you are right they wouldn't. My insurance only covers me or other property anyway, not my car.

slambam

15-09-2008 17:12:36

I think airbags deploy at 15-20 mph and higher (obviously). So it's not that uncommon. I'm kinda surprised at the damage. I used to have a 97 Taurus til a guy ran a stop sign and I T-boned him. I was going ~30 mph, airbags went off and worked like a charm. That's a bummer though. I'm kinda of surprised your car is still running, I thought if airbags went off the car wouldn't start until the bags are taken care of.

EatChex89

15-09-2008 20:11:01

[quote48f6dd17eb="slambam"]I think airbags deploy at 15-20 mph and higher (obviously). So it's not that uncommon. I'm kinda surprised at the damage. I used to have a 97 Taurus til a guy ran a stop sign and I T-boned him. I was going ~30 mph, airbags went off and worked like a charm. That's a bummer though. I'm kinda of surprised your car is still running, I thought if airbags went off the car wouldn't start until the bags are taken care of.[/quote48f6dd17eb]

I have a 93 geo prizm so since it's older I guess that's why it works.

There was no damage to either of our cars. at all. Like I said (or didn't say?) we were in stop and go traffic and we were going but I guess the person in front of the girl I hit slammed on her breaks, and then she slammed on her breaks but I missed the cue and ran into her.

But the thing is since there was NO damage to either of our cars save for my corner light popping out cleanly (not even a scratch to the bumpers of either) so the mph had to be >10.

Whatever, I just cut the bag off and I'll probably try to glue/tape the wheel back together. I'm just thankful neither of our cars was totalled or anything.

dmorris68

16-09-2008 13:02:27

From what I've heard it's expensive to replace an airbag module. In a 93 Geo Prism it might cost more than the car is worth, so you might have totaled it.

[quote0588e2f695="bballp6699"]Insurance to pay for an air bag in a fender bender that you caused? What kind of insurance do you have? I'm guessing, since you said the car is old, that you don't have the right insurance even if they would cover it (which I doubt.)[/quote0588e2f695]
Why wouldn't they if he had full coverage? As you said, unlikely for a 93 Prism, but if you have full coverage (i.e. collision), the whole point of collision coverage is to fix your car when it's your fault. Otherwise the other party's liability coverage pays, or else your uninsured motorist coverage. Of course they may drop you afterward, that's their prerogative, but they should at least pay the claim (minus deductible). About the only time I ever hear of an insurer refusing to pay a claim on a collision policy is when the accident occurred while the driver was committing a crime, DUI, etc.

It also helps to have quality insurance with a reliable carrier/agent and stick with them long-term. A lot of the fly-by-night policies written by independent agents might give you a hard time, but most states' insurance laws are pretty strict and will require them to pay claims on policies where you have paid your premiums. My insurance has covered me through at-fault, bi-fault, and no-fault accidents, without dropping me or raising rates in most cases. Even when it wasn't my fault, they would immediately step in to take care of my loss when the other party dragged their feet, then took them to court. That's the sort of thing you pay them for. ;)

bballp6699

16-09-2008 13:33:07

I assumed that he didn't have collision for my first sentence.

dmorris68

16-09-2008 15:14:27

Well, in my defense...

[quote0cacc178e3="bballp6699"]Insurance to pay for an air bag in a fender bender that you caused? What kind of insurance do you have? I'm guessing, since you said the car is old, [b0cacc178e3]that you don't have the right insurance even if they would cover it (which I doubt.)[/b0cacc178e3][/quote0cacc178e3]

...the way you worded that indicated (to me) that you were surprised that any insurance would pay. P

EatChex89

17-09-2008 12:01:36

No my car is not covered with my insurance at all.

It's cool, like I said I just cut the air bag out. Everything else works OK except now I have a red AIR BAG light constantly on the dashboard but I'll get used to it. I'm going to duck tape the steering wheel back together probably. Don't want a new airbag that shit burned my face.

tylerc

17-09-2008 13:51:16

You'll want one if you get in a serious car accident. But, it's your life.

J4320

17-09-2008 15:21:32

HEY U NO THINKING THAT FAR AHEAD

EatChex89

17-09-2008 20:32:43

[quote6963bd2795="tylerc"]You'll want one if you get in a serious car accident. But, it's your life.[/quote6963bd2795]

Maybe. But I can't afford it and i might as well buy a new car for as much as it is. As long as my seatbelt works that is the biggest safety protection anyway.

doylnea

17-09-2008 21:08:21

I beg to differ. I'd be maimed now if not for an airbag. I was wearing a seatbelt and sitting upright, and still slammed my face into the airbag, rather than dashboard from the passenger seat during a collision. I was happy to have airbag burn and not permanent damage.

phriq

18-09-2008 10:51:30

[quoteeea895c031="doylnea"]I beg to differ. I'd be maimed now if not for an airbag. I was wearing a seatbelt and sitting upright, and still slammed my face into the airbag, rather than dashboard from the passenger seat during a collision. I was happy to have airbag burn and not permanent damage.[/quoteeea895c031]

Though, when i rolled my car, sideways, the airbag deployed and slammed my head back. I had a small concusion from the accident, but none the less. I agree with you, though there may be freak senarios where airbags or seatbelts to harm instead of good, i still think they are better to have and use.

dmorris68

18-09-2008 11:14:28

[quote456b872223="phriq"]Though, when i rolled my car, sideways, the airbag deployed and slammed my head back. I had a small concusion from the accident, but none the less. I agree with you, though there may be freak senarios where airbags or seatbelts to harm instead of good, i still think they are better to have and use.[/quote456b872223]
There is always the chance for freak accidents that result in a safety device actually doing more harm than good, but it continues to amaze me when some people use those very slim chances as an excuse to not use said devices, which in the vast majority of cases would actually save your life instead of contribute to the loss of it.

Almost 15 years ago, the wife and I had a very bad wreck -- this kid ran a stop sign and we T-boned him at about 55-60mph, with virtually no time to brake. No airbags, but the wife and I were wearing our seatbelts which resulted in some awful bruising for both of us and a cracked rib & clavicle for the wife, among several other minor injuries. We would no doubt have been maimed or lideadli had it not been for the seat belts. Anyway, we both went to the hospital, I was treated & released but the wife was admitted for overnight observation. Imagine our shock when one of the nurses assigned to my wife actually told us she didn't believe in seat belts, because she had seen a couple of decapitations as a result of sliding under a belt! Here we were, alive and in pretty good shape thanks to seat belts, and here was a nurse basically saying we shouldn't wear them. We were speechless. Forget the literally millions of lives saved by seat belts, because 0.000001% of seat belt use results in decapitation. roll

slambam

18-09-2008 11:37:32

[quote2fea2da1d2="dmorris68"][quote2fea2da1d2="phriq"]Though, when i rolled my car, sideways, the airbag deployed and slammed my head back. I had a small concusion from the accident, but none the less. I agree with you, though there may be freak senarios where airbags or seatbelts to harm instead of good, i still think they are better to have and use.[/quote2fea2da1d2]
There is always the chance for freak accidents that result in a safety device actually doing more harm than good, but it continues to amaze me when some people use those very slim chances as an excuse to not use said devices, which in the vast majority of cases would actually save your life instead of contribute to the loss of it.

Almost 15 years ago, the wife and I had a very bad wreck -- this kid ran a stop sign and we T-boned him at about 55-60mph, with virtually no time to brake. No airbags, but the wife and I were wearing our seatbelts which resulted in some awful bruising for both of us and a cracked rib & clavicle for the wife, among several other minor injuries. We would no doubt have been maimed or lideadli had it not been for the seat belts. Anyway, we both went to the hospital, I was treated & released but the wife was admitted for overnight observation. Imagine our shock when one of the nurses assigned to my wife actually told us she didn't believe in seat belts, because she had seen a couple of decapitations as a result of sliding under a belt! Here we were, alive and in pretty good shape thanks to seat belts, and here was a nurse basically saying we shouldn't wear them. We were speechless. Forget the literally millions of lives saved by seat belts, because 0.000001% of seat belt use results in decapitation. roll[/quote2fea2da1d2]

I wonder if that nurse ever thought what those vicitms would look like if they hadn't worn a seat belt. I betting it would be a lot worse.

phriq

18-09-2008 12:38:45

[quotea121dd5840="dmorris68"][quotea121dd5840="phriq"]Though, when i rolled my car, sideways, the airbag deployed and slammed my head back. I had a small concusion from the accident, but none the less. I agree with you, though there may be freak senarios where airbags or seatbelts to harm instead of good, i still think they are better to have and use.[/quotea121dd5840]

Almost 15 years ago, the wife and I had a very bad wreck -- this kid ran a stop sign and we T-boned him at about 55-60mph, with virtually no time to brake. No airbags, but the wife and I were wearing our seatbelts which resulted in some awful bruising for both of us and a cracked rib & clavicle for the wife, among several other minor injuries. We would no doubt have been maimed or lideadli had it not been for the seat belts. Anyway, we both went to the hospital, I was treated & released but the wife was admitted for overnight observation. Imagine our shock when one of the nurses assigned to my wife actually told us she didn't believe in seat belts, because she had seen a couple of decapitations as a result of sliding under a belt! Here we were, alive and in pretty good shape thanks to seat belts, and here was a nurse basically saying we shouldn't wear them. We were speechless. Forget the literally millions of lives saved by seat belts, because 0.000001% of seat belt use results in decapitation. roll[/quotea121dd5840]

My rollover only resulted in a minor concusion from the airbag (and it could have been that combined with the accident itself.) but i have only seen 1 real life instance where a seatbelt would have been bad. That was my 7th grade civics teacher and defensive football coach. He was in an accident where the car was totalled and was thrown from the car. He lost a finger, however, the car was crushed and he would have died if he was in it. However, when ever anyone asks him about his finger, he makes up stories so that kids will not know that the seat belt would have killed him. cause he wants them to wear them.

I only found out the truth cause his wife was my 6th grade teacher.

EatChex89

18-09-2008 22:12:32

I believe that a seatbelt is more of a safety measure than an airbag. I always wear a seatbelt. Right now I can't afford the $700 or so to get a new airbag, so I won't and will hope that my seatbelt will be enough liknock on woodli.

In other news, I bought the Haynes repair manual for my car so I am going to start doing most of the work (as much as possible) myself. What sucks, is that I can't even install my brake light bulb since the damn casing won't come off as the smart people at Toyota thought it'd be fun to secure it with bolts/screws and little plastic things that are a pain in the ass.

dmorris68

19-09-2008 20:15:23

LOL, if you can't figure out how to install a brake light bulb -- with a MANUAL, no less -- then perhaps you should leave the major work to the professionals. P

EatChex89

19-09-2008 23:25:47

[quote39d8531ca8="dmorris68"]LOL, if you can't figure out how to install a brake light bulb -- with a MANUAL, no less -- then perhaps you should leave the major work to the professionals. P[/quote39d8531ca8]

Well, its not the installing that I'm having trouble with, it's getting the lens cover off the car. Supposedly the car manual says there are only three bolts holding it down which I take off. Then the light still won't come out and on the side of it are these two plastic things that appear to be holding it in. I'll take pictures of it tomorrow and upload. Really a pain in the ass.

TryinToGetPaid

20-09-2008 08:25:19

Usually there is plastic tabs you have to push for it to come out....