Getting out of cell phone contract for free

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=63922

Bentley

06-06-2007 22:40:28

Anyone know a way I can get out of my T-Mobile contract without paying the stupid fucking fee. They can turn off my service for free when I don't pay my bill but when I want to cancel they have to bone me in the ass.

theysayjump

06-06-2007 23:04:45

Bankruptcy?

But then the cost of filing for Bankruptcy outweighs the cost of your termination fee.

http//www.cellswapper.com/

Bentley

06-06-2007 23:40:32

wow cool site how safe is it?

CollidgeGraduit

07-06-2007 03:01:54

Nope, you're in your contract till it's done. The reason cell phone companies offer phones at the prices they do with a contract, is because you're promising them a certain amount of revenue.

And of course they can terminate your service if you quit paying them. You gave them a signed sheet of paper that said you'd pay them.

h3x

07-06-2007 04:18:46

You should finish out your contract... If you stop paying for service, its going to screw your credit up real bad and other cell phone providers will be reluctant to sign a contract with you (if at all) if you're known to skip out on payments all together.

GiftOrb

07-06-2007 04:43:20

This will relate to a pretty specific case... but if you want to get out of a contract to start a better one, get a free phone (with a new contract), and you use Cingular then continue reading.

Since AT&T took over Cingular, they are letting Cingular customers break their old contracts for free, as long as they resign onto a new AT&T contract. You will get the full benefits (free phones, etc) as if you were a new customer.

manOFice

07-06-2007 04:52:18

Slickdeals has a topic on this...go over there and search for it.

Tsmith10803

07-06-2007 13:08:34

If you look up where you Tmobile doesn't cover, you call and say you're moving there, then I'm pretty sure it terminates fee free

Bentley

07-06-2007 13:26:54

[quoteab4a3049fa="CollidgeGraduit"]Nope, you're in your contract till it's done. The reason cell phone companies offer phones at the prices they do with a contract, is because you're promising them a certain amount of revenue.

And of course they can terminate your service if you quit paying them. You gave them a signed sheet of paper that said you'd pay them.[/quoteab4a3049fa]

I guess that would make sense if I bought my cell at a discounted price but I didn't so Ill check out cellswapper and those other ideas thanks.

doylnea

07-06-2007 13:34:46

In theory, if T-Mobile makes a material change to their contract with you, you have 30 days to break the contract. Mostly recently they made a change to their terms in late March, however 30 days have passed since they notified customers of the change, and thus, you're not eligible for a no-fee cancellation.

cubbieco

07-06-2007 18:44:45

If you are desperate enough you can always switch to the $20 plan and finish the contract with that. Just don't use the phone anymore and sign up for the new service.

Yes it would suck, but the $20 per month might be less than the early termination fee.

I thought about cellswapper, but I was too nervous about somebody possibly being able to screw with my credit. I don't know enough about how it works.

samz465

07-06-2007 19:11:36

[quoted528e13a0a="GiftOrb"]This will relate to a pretty specific case... but if you want to get out of a contract to start a better one, get a free phone (with a new contract), and you use Cingular then continue reading.

Since AT&T took over Cingular, they are letting Cingular customers break their old contracts for free, as long as they resign onto a new AT&T contract. You will get the full benefits (free phones, etc) as if you were a new customer.[/quoted528e13a0a]

AT&T did not TAKE OVER cingular...
It was merely a name change.
That's it...
I really have never heard of that "break your contract for a new contract" stuff...If anything that'd just be considered an [ud528e13a0a]upgrade[/ud528e13a0a], and that would be if you're an old AT&T [bd528e13a0a]Wireless[/bd528e13a0a] customer, their former name. This is compared to their new name...which is "The new AT&T".

Confusing ain't it...

Also, as far as your contract...You can either ask a friend if they can take over the contract for you. This requires an account owner change. I guess this is what the "cellswap" site is based off of? I only took a quick glance at the site.

Otherwise...Call T-Mobile, tell them you want to cancel. Tell them you were wondering if THEY knew someone who could take over the contract....

Sometimes when I cancel for customers, they ask that question if they wanted to have someone else take over the contract...But I also think that they could do it themselves for you...This makes it fairly easy.
Look into it a bit more by calling customer service.

PM me if you have more questions.

-Samad

JKirk

07-06-2007 22:36:41

Canceling T-Mobile for the iPhone?

mcal44

07-06-2007 22:50:53

[quote83cfd93e43="samz465"][quote83cfd93e43="GiftOrb"]This will relate to a pretty specific case... but if you want to get out of a contract to start a better one, get a free phone (with a new contract), and you use Cingular then continue reading.

Since AT&T took over Cingular, they are letting Cingular customers break their old contracts for free, as long as they resign onto a new AT&T contract. You will get the full benefits (free phones, etc) as if you were a new customer.[/quote83cfd93e43]

AT&T did not TAKE OVER cingular...
It was merely a name change.
That's it...
I really have never heard of that "break your contract for a new contract" stuff...If anything that'd just be considered an [u83cfd93e43]upgrade[/u83cfd93e43], and that would be if you're an old AT&T [b83cfd93e43]Wireless[/b83cfd93e43] customer, their former name. This is compared to their new name...which is "The new AT&T".

Confusing ain't it...

Also, as far as your contract...You can either ask a friend if they can take over the contract for you. This requires an account owner change. I guess this is what the "cellswap" site is based off of? I only took a quick glance at the site.

Otherwise...Call T-Mobile, tell them you want to cancel. Tell them you were wondering if THEY knew someone who could take over the contract....

Sometimes when I cancel for customers, they ask that question if they wanted to have someone else take over the contract...But I also think that they could do it themselves for you...This makes it fairly easy.
Look into it a bit more by calling customer service.

PM me if you have more questions.

-Samad[/quote83cfd93e43]

It was a little more then just a name change...At&t purchased Bellsouth which owned 40% of Cingular (At&t already had the other 60%). After At&t had full ownership of Cingular they then decided to change the name.

I don't know if they technically counts as enough of a material change to get out of a contract, but I've talked to a few people who had luck with it.