Strawberry Flavored Crystal Meth...for Kids! WTF!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=62782

maksmom

22-05-2007 15:57:17

I got an email today from the room parent of my son's 3rd grade class. It warned us to watch out for candy-like bags of crystal meth. There's been no report of the stuff at his school as of yet, but apparently, someone's come up with flavored meth that looks, smells and tastes like candy!! shock With all that's going on, here's just one more thing geared to FU our kids lives! I've been slowly talking to my kids about drugs over the last couple of years, but it seems like now I'm going to have to sit them down for "the Talk" (no, not the sex one, that comes a bit later). It's just so sad... (

Forwarded from another parent
Checked this on Snopes and it is true
http//www.snopes.com/horrors/drugs/candymeth.asp

Tsmith10803

22-05-2007 16:02:40

Drugs keep reaching younger and younger audiences because of people making them out to be something they're not. Between music, primarily rap, and just the sheer ease of drug trafficking and creation nowdays, parents have to put up way more of a defense. Don't worry though, as the technology law enforcement agents use to find and arrest them will soon come smashing down. You just have to educate your kids.

In one shield episode, they were giving free heroine to kids, and when they came back for more (High addictive) They started to charge. So they had a market for life

moviemadnessman

22-05-2007 16:03:38

Yeah, I remember reading a story about that a little while back ... they also have other "kid friendly" forms of drugs, such as cheese (which is a mixture of Black Tar Heroin and crushed Tylenol PM tablets, resulting in an orange mix).

I tell you, people these days ... lower and lower morals ?

Tsmith10803

22-05-2007 16:10:09

It all comes down to the monetary aspect. We as a society have to stop putting so much glamour and glitz in fancy cars and luxury cars...which is what (primarily) drug dealers spend their money on other than more drugs.
I'm not saying that's all they buy, but, a lot of money goes into the diamond market, which not only wreck lives here with the drug trade, but also the diamonds in third world countries, where there are wars and battles for diamonds.

Even though I'm more classic rock then anything, I love all music, to quote kanye west
[quotefaf4628b4d]
[ifaf4628b4d]Over Here it's the drug trade we die from drugs,
over there they die from what we buy from drugs,
The diamonds, the chains the charms, I thought that my Jesus piece was so harmless, till I seen a picture of a shotty armless[/ifaf4628b4d][/quotefaf4628b4d]

I actually was just looking for an excuse to use the term "till I seen" in a post for quite some time )

skepticalcynic

22-05-2007 17:08:20

I think everyone needs to read this.

I just emailed this story to my children's step-mother. My 10 year-old son and 6 year-old daughter just moved from the midwest to southern California. There is no way they are prepared for this kind of thing!

DIABLO

22-05-2007 17:11:23

Doesn't suprise me, but I doubt that any grammar school students will be doing drugs, you probably don't need to talk to them about it. Drug use starts more in high school. Even though it says it was targeted towards children, they really can't be sure of that, I think that the makers are going to try to trick kids into using it, it's probably just a way to hide it, if you're searched and somebody finds candy in your pocket they don't check if it's drugs ?

skepticalcynic

22-05-2007 17:21:32

[quote6cdbe5fa70="DIABLO"]Doesn't suprise me, but I doubt that any grammar school students will be doing drugs, you probably don't need to talk to them about it. Drug use starts more in high school. Even though it says it was targeted towards children, they really can't be sure of that, I think that the makers are going to try to trick kids into using it, it's probably just a way to hide it, if you're searched and somebody finds candy in your pocket they don't check if it's drugs ?[/quote6cdbe5fa70]

I beg to differ - I know for a fact that children as young as 7 and 8 have been known to smoke pot. That's 2nd and 3rd grade. It's not much of a leap from pot to harder stuff. Once you start, you'll always be chasing that high...

TryinToGetPaid

22-05-2007 17:34:49

Umm, pot is not a gateway drug. Smoking pot and smoking meth are two totally different things. If you find a stoner who smoked every day for 5 years, they would look normal. Find a meth user who smoked every day for 1 year they would look about 50 years older and probably be missing all or most of their teeth.

Meth is made in a meth lab by some meth head in some trailer park in BFE, USA. Marijuana is made by?

skepticalcynic

22-05-2007 17:43:31

I understand the fallacy of the "gateway drug" theory.

BUT - it has nothing to do with physical addiction.

When a person starts smoking pot, they start hanging around with people who can get ILLEGAL substances. Pot, powder, crack, and meth are all sold side by side on the same street corners by the same people.

And like I said - once a person gets high the first time - no matter what the drug - he/she is more likely to be looking for bigger and better highs.

It's really very simple and logical.

Tholek

22-05-2007 17:44:18

[quote3222840bb4="Tsmith10803"]In one shield episode, they were giving free heroine to kids, and when they came back for more (High addictive) They started to charge. So they had a market for life[/quote3222840bb4]

This is one of the rare circumstances outside murder where I believe the death penalty should apply.

Darkside

22-05-2007 17:50:22

[quote422b067dcb="skepticalcynic"]Once you start, you'll always be chasing that high...[/quote422b067dcb]

No. I mean I can see in little kids where "oh this feels good. I like to feel good how else can i fell good" mentality but the average drug audience is mature enough to know that harder drugs are harder drugs and are very aware of what they are doing. Most marijuana users do not also use harder drugs. kids don't just jump up the high chain by the time time say they're twelve.

dupebag

22-05-2007 17:53:19

Lol I just went into the bathroom today at school and some kids were doing drugs...Damn i love NC/ My high school.

I do not do drugs...for the record

tml09

22-05-2007 17:59:02

^ what school do you go to?

tylerc

22-05-2007 18:08:06

Ok, booze and cigs are more gateway drugs than pot. Find me a person who does meth that didn't drink first.

Anyway, I smoked pot last summer, and plan to this summer. I have NO desire to do anything past pot, with the exception of possibly shrooms. None of the people I hang around with that drink or smoke pot have any desire to do coke, meth, heroin, or anything else. Could I get it? Yes, but that doesn't mean I'm going to "chase a high" because I can.

ilanbg

22-05-2007 18:25:42

[quote812edd414a="Tsmith10803"]It all comes down to the monetary aspect. We as a society have to stop putting so much glamour and glitz in fancy cars and luxury cars...which is what (primarily) drug dealers spend their money on other than more drugs.[/quote812edd414a]

Er... "glamour" isn't to blame for drug dealers. No one says, "Aw man, I wish I could afford some bling. I guess I should start selling drugs." They think, "Aw man, I just sold $500 worth of drugs today. I wonder what I can spend all this money on."

[quote812edd414a="skepticalcynic"]Pot, powder, crack, and meth are all sold side by side on the same street corners by the same people.[/quote812edd414a]

Sorry, but that's a huge assumption. Most people who sell pot don't sell harder drugs because of the risk involved. Most people who sell harder drugs don't sell pot because it's not worth their time.

In either case, this is all off-topic. Crystal meth is some nasty shit, and it's pretty awful that kids could be tricked into getting hooked on it. This only makes the "never take candy from strangers" talk all the more important.

Tsmith10803

22-05-2007 19:06:09

[quote7e8cfb4d63="ilanbg"][quote7e8cfb4d63="Tsmith10803"]It all comes down to the monetary aspect. We as a society have to stop putting so much glamour and glitz in fancy cars and luxury cars...which is what (primarily) drug dealers spend their money on other than more drugs.[/quote7e8cfb4d63]

Er... "glamour" isn't to blame for drug dealers. No one says, "Aw man, I wish I could afford some bling. I guess I should start selling drugs." They think, "Aw man, I just sold $500 worth of drugs today. I wonder what I can spend all this money on."
[/quote7e8cfb4d63]

I completly agree, I really just had to link to "till I seen" in my kanye quote P

I honestly do believe if drugs weren't a billion dollar industry we'd be such a safer country. But that would take something to stop the high from being so pleasurable, which would be some sort of drug P

EatChex89

23-05-2007 00:56:47

i read about this in my local newspape a few weeks back.

maksmom

23-05-2007 07:29:36

So now I'm wondering, and this is a question for all you parents who tried drugs as a younger person, how do I tell my kids to avoid all drugs (which is really the only opinion you should have as far as your kids are concerned), when I've tried them myself in the past? When my kids ask "did you ever smoke pot?", do I lie and say "never!" or do I tell the truth "I did and it was fun, but it was making me stupid and fat, so I stopped"? Same with smoking...I started when I was 12 (it was in Japan where [i9003ab00c6]everyone[/i9003ab00c6] smokes, so I really had no chance). I don't anymore, but if any of my kids starts, do I pretend to be shocked? I know my oldest is only 9, but that's not so far off from 12. I feel like I'm entering a minefield of parenting issues here...Any thoughts?

tinkerjenn

23-05-2007 07:37:18

Be as honest as possible. Tell them you made a mistake and you don't want them to make the same mistakes you did.

ilanbg

23-05-2007 07:55:54

Truth is that your kids will do drugs if they want to. A drug talk will not deter them; but they are less likely to turn to drugs (at least harder drugs) if they have a supportive home.

MyungChunHa

23-05-2007 08:15:24

[quotebbdbfb77fa="skepticalcynic"][quotebbdbfb77fa="DIABLO"]Doesn't suprise me, but I doubt that any grammar school students will be doing drugs, you probably don't need to talk to them about it. Drug use starts more in high school. Even though it says it was targeted towards children, they really can't be sure of that, I think that the makers are going to try to trick kids into using it, it's probably just a way to hide it, if you're searched and somebody finds candy in your pocket they don't check if it's drugs ?[/quotebbdbfb77fa]

I beg to differ - I know for a fact that children as young as 7 and 8 have been known to smoke pot. That's 2nd and 3rd grade. It's not much of a leap from pot to harder stuff. Once you start, you'll always be chasing that high...[/quotebbdbfb77fa]
I have to strongly disagree with you here. Jumping from pot to any other drug at all is really a huge leap. Pot smokers are usually perfectly normal and don't do anything harder.

Truth is, smokers hate even being around those other drugs, if a dealer is seling others, they don't buy from them because it's more likely to be laced and/or fake.

TryinToGetPaid

23-05-2007 08:36:48

The people who say that jumping from pot to harder stuff is a small leap never smoked pot.

I admit it - I smoke pot and hell, if I did not have a son I would still be smoking pot. The thing is, parents these days worry so much about pot than alcohol and it blows my mind. Alcohol is a poison to your body, you can not think, or act when you are drunk - and I am pretty sure most people here have been so intoxicated they have passed out. You can die from drinking too much alcohol, and if I smoke a pound of weed, I would probably just eat the menu at Burger King.

puppeteer

23-05-2007 12:06:28

[quoteb73d0c0fee="TryinToGetPaid"]The people who say that jumping from pot to harder stuff is a small leap never smoked pot.

I admit it - I smoke pot and hell, if I did not have a son I would still be smoking pot. The thing is, parents these days worry so much about pot than alcohol and it blows my mind. Alcohol is a poison to your body, you can not think, or act when you are drunk - and I am pretty sure most people here have been so intoxicated they have passed out. You can die from drinking too much alcohol, and if I smoke a pound of weed, I would probably just eat the menu at Burger King.[/quoteb73d0c0fee]

lol its like choosing POT over a cigarettes and or tobacco D

in other words, pot is healthier than any other drugs lol, makes you eat, tahts healthy! makes you drink water!! tahts even more healthier!!

i say we sign a petition to make pot legal! D

moviemadnessman

23-05-2007 12:09:44

Eating too much isn't healthy ... and drinking too much water can kill you, too. Lol ... and I must say, "more healthier" ... you only need the "healthier" part.

Just had to add that, in case people forgot that eating too much leads to its own health problems.

skepticalcynic

23-05-2007 12:14:55

[quoteae539303d7="maksmom"]So now I'm wondering, and this is a question for all you parents who tried drugs as a younger person, how do I tell my kids to avoid all drugs (which is really the only opinion you should have as far as your kids are concerned), when I've tried them myself in the past? When my kids ask "did you ever smoke pot?", do I lie and say "never!" or do I tell the truth "I did and it was fun, but it was making me stupid and fat, so I stopped"? Same with smoking...I started when I was 12 (it was in Japan where [iae539303d7]everyone[/iae539303d7] smokes, so I really had no chance). I don't anymore, but if any of my kids starts, do I pretend to be shocked? I know my oldest is only 9, but that's not so far off from 12. I feel like I'm entering a minefield of parenting issues here...Any thoughts?[/quoteae539303d7]

Be as honest as possible. Tell them the truth. Yes, drugs make you feel good, but there are serious consequences. Don't lie and tell them wild stories because then when they find out you lied, they'll never believe another word you say.

DIABLO

23-05-2007 12:16:53

I have smoked pot, and I would never do anything past that. Most kids know how addictive those drugs are, and if they do them, they don't really know what can happen, they just think they'll be able to stop, there's always a show on TV about a drug addict at any given time, just teach your kids about drugs and they won't do it, have you ever heard of a coke/heroin addict that says he'd do the whole thing again if he wasn't addicted? The only reason they do it is to try it, then they get addicted, I doubt any person would try it if they knew they would become an addict like some people become. I doubt there's any way for a 9 year old to get their hands on meth, are they even allowed outside? IMO parents are way too overprotective now. Do you worry your children will get kidnapped if they're outside riding their bike or playing with their friends, too? If you do, how many times has a child been kidnapped in your neighborhood? I doubt any, there aren't that many child predators just roaming around looking for children on the street every day. I know 12 year old kids who aren't allowed to go outside to walk a few blocks away from their house without a parent driving or walking with them. If you're really overprotective like it sounds like most of the moms here are, you're child is probably going to be a wuss and depend on you until he's an adult. My cousin is an example, he's 20 and his mom still won't let himtake a train to college in Philly(He's in CT) at night, so they drive for 6 hours bring him there at midnight. And who pays for his college? His mom. Who pays for his apartment, food, and everything else? His mom. Does he have a job? No, of course not, he has his mom instead.

Tsmith10803

24-05-2007 11:50:40

As a high school student myself, who listens to phish, grateful dead, zeppelin, and tons of classic rock, most people think I smoke. That and I'm crazy, but that's a different story. I actually really like being able to honestly say when people ask me if I smoke, "no".
I get a lot of joy saying that, even though half the people think I'm lieing about it. But I know it's true, and that's all that matters

moviemadnessman

24-05-2007 11:52:31

Suuuuuuuuuure you don't. )

Actually, I get the same question since I live in the home city of Grunge music, so I know what that's like ?