gas prices

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=62244

RAV123H

15-05-2007 22:49:33

Gas is outrageous. I pay $3.17 just for basic unleaded. I know that there are places that are alot more expensive, but I need to vent.
What I don't understand is that back in the 1940's we (The United States) gathered every brilliant scientist that we could find for the Manhatten project. Now here we are in 2007 in the beginning of an energy crisis and the government doesn't seem to care. I think that we should have an alternative fuel project. Our government should get the best and brightest and put them all together so maybe they can come up with a solution. Hopefully it would be a cost effective solution that will benifit the working man or woman. So how bad are your gas prices? Have any of you heard anything about not buying gas on May 15th? Maybe it's just a rumor in this crazy hicktown.

moviemadnessman

15-05-2007 22:52:38

Even if everyone didn't buy gas on one day (which is impossible), it wouldn't change anything. It would have to last a lot longer than just a day.

Of course, I've heard it ... but it won't change anything. I hear you about gas prices, though ... thankfully I don't have to drive all that much living here in the city.

gmario

15-05-2007 22:53:48

I spent $9 bucks on gas 8) today

puppeteer

15-05-2007 23:21:30

gmario is a hustla... he will send you a RAIDBUG spray for $5 bucks and you will end up buying it

Admin

16-05-2007 01:11:11

i'm going to have to fill up this week and i'm going to pay at least $3.91/gal for 91. today i seriously considered cutting back on driving because of it. inelastic demand my ass.

Wolfeman

16-05-2007 01:16:19

http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=61301

Boycotts are useless and if people stop driving so much the oil companies will just jack the price higher so they don't lose money...

moviemadnessman

16-05-2007 01:55:58

[quote9dea4ec408="Wolfeman"]http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=61301

Boycotts are useless and if people stop driving so much the oil companies will just jack the price higher so they don't lose money...[/quote9dea4ec408]Not quite ... but only doing them for 1 day is not going to work. As I said before, if it would happen over a prolonged time frame, then we might see positive change. But one day wouldn't matter at all...shrug

tylerc

16-05-2007 07:02:38

I saw $3.38 here yesterday.

ajasax

16-05-2007 09:02:12

This is what every city needs to do instead of these silly boycotts
http//www.cabq.gov/transit/strivenottodrive.html

manOFice

16-05-2007 09:09:57

Mine is up to #3.03 today...was 2.98 yesterday

thikidflyss

16-05-2007 09:18:19

Cheapest i can get is $3.15, if im lucky and drive a while in the oppisite direction.

Other wise it's as high as $3.55

So stupid how the price is extremly high when you drive 20 minutes towards the city..

Bryan R

16-05-2007 09:49:13

Chevron is $3.51 - spit on them! I have see Shell here at $3.55! SPIT on them too. The cheapest gas I can get is with my Fred Meyer rewards card when I have over $100 in purchases at $3.28 or Costco at $3.24 with cash.

Bryan R

RAV123H

16-05-2007 09:56:03

we like about 30 mins from a little larger town and our town jacks the prices up by 10+ cents. all this is because it is almost summer and people will be going on trips

bidenni

16-05-2007 10:59:47

Gosh, I've been complaining about gas prices here (SC); yesterday it was $2.79/gal. SC always seems to be slower than the rest of the nation, in just about everything.

Admin

16-05-2007 11:03:49

pretty sure SC has significantly lower taxes on fuel

Wolfeman

16-05-2007 11:23:02

[quoteb152f3d6d7="moviemadnessman"][quoteb152f3d6d7="Wolfeman"]http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=61301

Boycotts are useless and if people stop driving so much the oil companies will just jack the price higher so they don't lose money...[/quoteb152f3d6d7]Not quite ... but only doing them for 1 day is not going to work. As I said before, if it would happen over a prolonged time frame, then we might see positive change. But one day wouldn't matter at all...shrug[/quoteb152f3d6d7]
Boycotts of gas are useless...

JUNIOR6886

16-05-2007 11:28:28

actually yesterday gas was about to be lowered by $2 but wolfeman killed by not participating in the boycott. nice going (

bigchan2k

16-05-2007 12:04:52

The only way to change anything is to change the demand for gasoline by either driving less or through alternative fuels. However, the problem with alternative fuels is that they take a very long time to implement and we're not in a position to completely change over to say, E85. Everyone wants a solution now, and frankly, there is none because demand for gasoline will not drop sharply overnight.

Also, I'd like to point out that people are only blaming the oil companies (i.e ExxonMobil) for the high prices. Oil companies are not the only factor in gasoline prices. The biggest factor is actually the price of crude oil, which is not determined by the oil companies, but rather on the open commodities market.

And the process of turning oil into gasoline is a long one. You have
Drillers who drill for oil
Oil then goes to the refiners
Refined fuels need to be transported by tankers or other means
Gas stations need to sell gas for a profit

All of the companies involved in this process need to make a profit as well.

For the fuels to get from one place to another, they need to use fuel to transport it. With the cost of fuel rising, the transportation gets more expensive, which factors in to the final price at the pump.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that A boycott won't work because it doesn't change the demand for gasoline. The only way to make gas cheaper is to change the global demand for it (which at this point, is very high).

patrick_7412

16-05-2007 15:25:49

$3.16 for unleaded here, pathetic if you ask me. We have plenty of fuel, it's just the economy wants to see how far they can push us, when gas for the company's hasn't even risen that much, if at all.

justinag06

16-05-2007 16:02:32

http//gasbuddy.com/

moviemadnessman

16-05-2007 16:09:51

[quotea5281da5ad="Wolfeman"][quotea5281da5ad="moviemadnessman"][quotea5281da5ad="Wolfeman"]http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=61301

Boycotts are useless and if people stop driving so much the oil companies will just jack the price higher so they don't lose money...[/quotea5281da5ad]Not quite ... but only doing them for 1 day is not going to work. As I said before, if it would happen over a prolonged time frame, then we might see positive change. But one day wouldn't matter at all...shrug[/quotea5281da5ad]
Boycotts of gas are useless...[/quotea5281da5ad]
shrugshrug
[quotea5281da5ad="JUNIOR6886"]actually yesterday gas was about to be lowered by $2 but wolfeman killed by not participating in the boycott. nice going ([/quotea5281da5ad]Yeah, I had to fill up my Hummer like a real American yesterdayli...Cost me the same price as it would to feed a family of 4 for a month lili...

liI do not own a hummer...[/sizea5281da5ad]
lili Stats are made up...[/sizea5281da5ad]

Gooogler

16-05-2007 17:47:52

We are not on the verge of an energy crisis, we have vast amounts of untapped oil in multiple different forms. While the current gas price will go down as refineries come back online, in the future when we start to run low on liquid oil the gas price will rise again; as this happens it will become economical to mine oil shale, and that will last us a [i5d9d4332f7]long[/i5d9d4332f7] time.

ilanbg

16-05-2007 18:05:56

WE ARE ALL EXPERTS IN THIS FIELD AND NONE OF OUR KNOWLEDGE SHOULD BE QUESTIONED.

so yah gas is 2 expensive and we shud not pay this much.

doylnea

16-05-2007 18:11:10

[quote8f29cc99e7="Gooogler"]We are not on the verge of an energy crisis, we have vast amounts of untapped oil in multiple different forms. While the current gas price will go down as refineries come back online, in the future when we start to run low on liquid oil the gas price will rise again; as this happens it will become economical to mine oil shale, and that will last us a [i8f29cc99e7]long[/i8f29cc99e7] time.[/quote8f29cc99e7]

I don't even know where to begin. Suffice it to say, you're wrong on so many levels that I don't have the time or inclination to disprove you. For grins, why don't you list the "vast amounts of untapped oil in multiple different forms" and where these "amounts [reserves]" are located though, I'm curious.

Gooogler

16-05-2007 18:41:06

[quote01997526e1="doylnea"][quote01997526e1="Gooogler"]We are not on the verge of an energy crisis, we have vast amounts of untapped oil in multiple different forms. While the current gas price will go down as refineries come back online, in the future when we start to run low on liquid oil the gas price will rise again; as this happens it will become economical to mine oil shale, and that will last us a [i01997526e1]long[/i01997526e1] time.[/quote01997526e1]

I don't even know where to begin. Suffice it to say, you're wrong on so many levels that I don't have the time or inclination to disprove you. For grins, why don't you list the "vast amounts of untapped oil in multiple different forms" and where these "amounts [reserves]" are located though, I'm curious.[/quote01997526e1]

I don't see any faults in my analysis... shrug

"In 1920, the U.S. Geological Survey announced that the world’s total endowment of oil amounted to 60 billion barrels. By 1950, the estimate had increased to around 600 billion barrels. The most recent estimate was of a 3,000-billion-barrel endowment."
- USGS

"By 2000, 900 billion barrels of oil had been produced. If world oil consumption continues to increase at an average rate of 1.4 percent a year, and no further resources are discovered and no improvements are made in the technology used to recover oil, the world’s supply will not be exhausted until 2056."

That estimate doesn't include unconventional oil resources that require additional processing which is as of yet uneconomical. Oil production from tar sands in Canada and South America would add about 600 billion barrels to the world’s supply, and rocks found in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming alone contain 1,500 billion barrels of oil. Worldwide, the oil-shale reserves are estimated to be as large as 14,000 billion barrels — more than 500 years of oil supply at current production rates.

doylnea

16-05-2007 19:00:12

[quotef842af23ae="Gooogler"][quotef842af23ae="doylnea"][quotef842af23ae="Gooogler"]We are not on the verge of an energy crisis, we have vast amounts of untapped oil in multiple different forms. While the current gas price will go down as refineries come back online, in the future when we start to run low on liquid oil the gas price will rise again; as this happens it will become economical to mine oil shale, and that will last us a [if842af23ae]long[/if842af23ae] time.[/quotef842af23ae]

I don't even know where to begin. Suffice it to say, you're wrong on so many levels that I don't have the time or inclination to disprove you. For grins, why don't you list the "vast amounts of untapped oil in multiple different forms" and where these "amounts [reserves]" are located though, I'm curious.[/quotef842af23ae]

I don't see any faults in my analysis... shrug

"In 1920, the U.S. Geological Survey announced that the world’s total endowment of oil amounted to 60 billion barrels. By 1950, the estimate had increased to around 600 billion barrels. The most recent estimate was of a 3,000-billion-barrel endowment."
- USGS

"By 2000, 900 billion barrels of oil had been produced. If world oil consumption continues to increase at an average rate of 1.4 percent a year, and no further resources are discovered and no improvements are made in the technology used to recover oil, the world’s supply will not be exhausted until 2056."

That estimate doesn't include unconventional oil resources that require additional processing which is as of yet uneconomical. Oil production from tar sands in Canada and South America would add about 600 billion barrels to the world’s supply, and rocks found in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming alone contain 1,500 billion barrels of oil. Worldwide, the oil-shale reserves are estimated to be as large as 14,000 billion barrels — more than 500 years of oil supply at current production rates.[/quotef842af23ae]

You can do better than to cite statistics found on a design blog, originally cited from a thinktank funded by big oil.

Shale oil is only profitable when oil prices are as high as they are now, and then, it's only barely profitable.

Gooogler

16-05-2007 19:12:31

[quote15a021c346="doylnea"]Shale oil is only profitable when oil prices are as high as they are now, and then, it's only barely profitable.[/quote15a021c346]

Oil is currently at $63 a barrel. Oil shale and coal liquefaction are profitable at about $45 a barrel. For $2 billion one can build an oil shale refinery, for $3 billion, a coal liquefaction plant. One of these plants could produce 150,000 barrels of oil a day. So why aren't these being built? Because if the price of oil were to fall below $45 a barrel, you have a $3 billion investment which is useless. While alternative fuels should be researched by the government, what they really need to do is set a law stating that oil in the U.S. will not be sold for less than $45 a barrel. Doing so would keep the shale and coal liquefaction plants highly profitable, and would reduce our dependency on foreign oil.

doylnea

16-05-2007 19:22:05

[quoted6d3323811="Gooogler"][quoted6d3323811="doylnea"]Shale oil is only profitable when oil prices are as high as they are now, and then, it's only barely profitable.[/quoted6d3323811]

Oil is currently at $63 a barrel. Oil shale and coal liquefaction are profitable at about $45 a barrel. For $2 billion one can build an oil shale refinery, for $3 billion, a coal liquefaction plant. One of these plants could produce 150,000 barrels of oil a day. So why aren't these being built? Because if the price of oil were to fall below $45 a barrel, you have a $3 billion investment which is useless. While alternative fuels should be researched by the government, what they really need to do is set a law stating that oil in the U.S. will not be sold for less than $45 a barrel. Doing so would keep the shale and coal liquefaction plants highly profitable, and would reduce our dependency on foreign oil.[/quoted6d3323811]

source?

Further, artificially creating a market price for something as environmentally unsuitable as shale-oil, or especially a new coal plant is a really bad idea, IMO. Did you see any of the articles about the proposed TXU plants - TXU has changed its entire business after trying to build new coal plants - there's little chance that any community would allow a new coal gas or shale oil plant in their backyard.

I would rather see that same money invested in alternative/renewable energy source development by the government at places like NREL, which can develop the tech and then hand it over to VCs who can run with it.

Gooogler

16-05-2007 19:37:09

[quotefb5edb1c9d="doylnea"][quotefb5edb1c9d="Gooogler"][quotefb5edb1c9d="doylnea"]Shale oil is only profitable when oil prices are as high as they are now, and then, it's only barely profitable.[/quotefb5edb1c9d]

Oil is currently at $63 a barrel. Oil shale and coal liquefaction are profitable at about $45 a barrel. For $2 billion one can build an oil shale refinery, for $3 billion, a coal liquefaction plant. One of these plants could produce 150,000 barrels of oil a day. So why aren't these being built? Because if the price of oil were to fall below $45 a barrel, you have a $3 billion investment which is useless. While alternative fuels should be researched by the government, what they really need to do is set a law stating that oil in the U.S. will not be sold for less than $45 a barrel. Doing so would keep the shale and coal liquefaction plants highly profitable, and would reduce our dependency on foreign oil.[/quotefb5edb1c9d]

source?

Further, artificially creating a market price for something as environmentally unsuitable as shale-oil, or especially a new coal plant is a really bad idea, IMO. Did you see any of the articles about the proposed TXU plants - TXU has changed its entire business after trying to build new coal plants - there's little chance that any community would allow a new coal gas or shale oil plant in their backyard.

I would rather see that same money invested in alternative/renewable energy source development by the government at places like NREL, which can develop the tech and then hand it over to VCs who can run with it.[/quotefb5edb1c9d]

Those statistics are basic market knowledge, and can be found just about anywhere. And while we can develop renewable energy sources, why not use what we have left? It's cheap, and it works. Setting a minimum limit on oil sales would not quite be setting a market price, as the price could fluctuate up and down, but not below $45. (OPEC has actually been talking about setting the global minimum to $60 a barrel).

RAV123H

17-05-2007 17:43:41

in town here they said gas was going up 11 cents tonight and by sept. it will be 4.00. it is getting a little crazy

roberto

17-05-2007 18:17:10

$2.89 a gallon in austin, texas today.

Last week I was in vienna, austria and it was the equivalent of $4.50 per gallon there so I cant complain about $2.89 here.

What I can complain about is that car fuel efficiency standards here in the usa are much lower than in europe or china so we use more gallons to drive the same distance. Unless I buy a hybrid which I havent yet. )

doylnea

17-05-2007 18:21:27

[quote800c1398b7="Gooogler"][quote800c1398b7="doylnea"][quote800c1398b7="Gooogler"][quote800c1398b7="doylnea"]Shale oil is only profitable when oil prices are as high as they are now, and then, it's only barely profitable.[/quote800c1398b7]

Oil is currently at $63 a barrel. Oil shale and coal liquefaction are profitable at about $45 a barrel. For $2 billion one can build an oil shale refinery, for $3 billion, a coal liquefaction plant. One of these plants could produce 150,000 barrels of oil a day. So why aren't these being built? Because if the price of oil were to fall below $45 a barrel, you have a $3 billion investment which is useless. While alternative fuels should be researched by the government, what they really need to do is set a law stating that oil in the U.S. will not be sold for less than $45 a barrel. Doing so would keep the shale and coal liquefaction plants highly profitable, and would reduce our dependency on foreign oil.[/quote800c1398b7]

source?

I would rather see that same money invested in alternative/renewable energy source development by the government at places like NREL, which can develop the tech and then hand it over to VCs who can run with it.[/quote800c1398b7]

Those statistics are basic market knowledge, and can be found just about anywhere. And while we can develop renewable energy sources, why not use what we have left? It's cheap, and it works. Setting a minimum limit on oil sales would not quite be setting a market price, as the price could fluctuate up and down, but not below $45. (OPEC has actually been talking about setting the global minimum to $60 a barrel).[/quote800c1398b7]

Can you link me to someplace that has a shale-oil profitability statement? I've read that it's much higher than your figure in several refereed journals, and articles.

Setting any price, a ceiling or a limit, is setting a market price, period. Why should we supplement the big oil companies, and other producers? Wouldn't you rather spend less now, have a cleaner environment now, and in the future, and see new technologies developed and brought to market?

Admin

17-05-2007 18:27:54

http/" alt=""/img297.imageshack.us/img="297/8050/gasom0.jpg[" alt=""/img536c19d806]

Kidd

17-05-2007 18:29:35

what car are you filling up

Admin

17-05-2007 18:32:23

uh.. my car?

doylnea

17-05-2007 18:40:04

[quote2edecdfcd5="Admin"]snip[/quote2edecdfcd5]

As you wrote earlier, gas prices are definitely influencing my driving decisions these days. I have always been someone who consolidated trips to save time, but now I find myself consolidating trips to save money on fuel as well.

I'm not looking forward to $4 a gallon. Thankfully, I'm averaging 23.74mpg since January 1. (yes I'm a nerd and track my gas costs and MPG).

Admin

17-05-2007 18:42:06

i get 15mpg but i drive pretty hard

honestly if i couldn't drive i don't know how i'd have enough time to do everything i need to do in a given day, its just a necessary evil. the morning drive was really nice today because all those suckers were observing national ride your bike to work day

doylnea

17-05-2007 18:44:27

[quotefaa3e6d28b="Admin"]i get 15mpg but i drive pretty hard

honestly if i couldn't drive i don't know how i'd have enough time to do everything i need to do in a given day, its just a necessary evil. the morning drive was really nice today because all those suckers were observing national ride your bike to work day[/quotefaa3e6d28b]

environmental hippies like me take the train to work. but there's a reason I own a $400 radar detector too ;)

Admin

17-05-2007 18:49:39

you dirty hippies are the reason us normals dont want to take PT in the first place!!

ilanbg

17-05-2007 19:50:41

I know this will get ignored for the most part, but I hate discussing debates like gas prices, global warming, war in Iraq, abortion, evolution, stem cell research, etc. because the debate is comprised of two things

1. Facts.
...Firstly, there's nothing to debate, and secondly anything involving debated facts will be too politicized to produce reliable research (i.e. manipulated statistics by interest groups), so people just bounce conflicting "facts" off each other forever and ever.

2. Subjectivity.
..."Life begins at conception," "Terrorists need to be defeated at any cost," "The death penalty is not effective," etc. are, for one, usually based somewhat on the skeptical facts mentioned above, and difficult to back up in any other way otherwise.

In other words, debates that consist of misconstrued facts and baseless subjectivity are [if1cb805557]pointless[/if1cb805557], i.e. cannot possibly affect opinion or expand one's thinking (which are, as far as I can see, the only purposes debate serve).

...Anyway, that said, carry on. Gas totally sucks and I'm running on like 0.05 gallons of gas right now and I shudder at the thought of filling it back up.

dmorris68

17-05-2007 19:55:56

I just dropped $61.10 today on my fill-up, and that's in Georgia where we have some of the cheapest gas in the country. (

I've been half-joking for years about the wife and I buying a Gold Wing to tour around in once our last daughter is off on her own. I'm now giving serious thought to moving those plans up a few years. I simply licannotli own a regular car anymore -- it has to be an SUV for me, sorry. So maybe I'll park the SUV and drive the bike on nice days and when I don't have to haul a bunch of stuff/folks around. )

roberto

17-07-2007 20:23:02

I thought I would revive this thread to see whats going on in gas prices these days.

austin texas july 17. $2.78 per gallon. How about you?

gmario

17-07-2007 23:07:09

Crap I been paying $3.07 for 93 (

michae229

17-07-2007 23:07:37

dallas around 2.80

gmario

17-07-2007 23:10:10

[quote3e1a9d5012="michae229"]dallas around 2.80[/quote3e1a9d5012]

for 93?

michae229

17-07-2007 23:18:18

[quoteee0e443eae="gmario"][quoteee0e443eae="michae229"]dallas around 2.80[/quoteee0e443eae]

for 93?[/quoteee0e443eae]

naw unleaded

manOFice

18-07-2007 05:13:12

It's around $2.92 in NC

AMoore913

18-07-2007 07:50:47

2.85 in AL

Still about $65.00 to fill up though because I drive an F-150...

aviendha47

18-07-2007 15:22:24

$2.48 in OH, $2.13 in MI

tylerc

18-07-2007 15:27:36

$3.05 today in Indiana.

Quadracer89

18-07-2007 15:46:54

Cheapest around here is $2.74. Not that bad compared to some cities, but it still isn't anything to brag about. I'd love to see it drop under $2.50. God Damn opec.

Fr1zzank

18-07-2007 16:52:24

Cheapest roughly $1.06/litre.
Most expensive $1.75ish.

So, from litres to gallons, that works out to about $4.02 and $6.62... nice.

Now, to make it fair, and in US$ $3.85, and $6.34.

Aren't you glad you don't have taxes like in Canada? But, you get lottery winnings taxed, eww.

tylerc

18-07-2007 17:03:46

Yeah, since so many people win the lottery in the United States.

Fr1zzank

18-07-2007 17:07:36

Ha, true. Do taxes also apply to, say, scratch tickets? They're still part of "the lottery", aren't they?

Also, I always just felt bad for people on The Price is Right, and Wheel of Fortune and crap, because I thought their winnings were taxed as well.

Quadracer89

18-07-2007 21:00:58

[quote3b90156d87="Fr1zzank"]Ha, true. Do taxes also apply to, say, scratch tickets? They're still part of "the lottery", aren't they?

Also, I always just felt bad for people on The Price is Right, and Wheel of Fortune and crap, because I thought their winnings were taxed as well.[/quote3b90156d87]

Dude it's like any kind of money you gain, the government wants a part of it. Their like freeloaders roll

ajasax

18-07-2007 21:47:32

Actually, it just dropped below $3.00 here. I was on my way home from work and saw it for $2.90-something (91).

tylerc

19-07-2007 18:34:19

$2.96 now here

jy3

19-07-2007 18:42:52

gas prices suck (

toiletpaper55

19-07-2007 18:53:25

2.76 at costco close to 3 (like 2.9something) at a normal place in Maryland.

tjwor

19-07-2007 19:15:05

filled up at 3.12 today... it is just over 3.20 in the town i live /

junkie06

19-07-2007 22:39:28

Chicago is still the highest in the country...ugh 4 in some places around the city

jeagle82

23-07-2007 15:17:12

I'm reminded how glad I am that I bought a Civic Hybrid pretty much on a daily basis. With a 13 gallon tank, I can typically drive 500-700 miles without having to fill up. It was definitely worth the money!

tjwor

23-07-2007 16:03:01

yea, my mom just bought an RX-400 Lexus SUV, its a hybrid and gets damn good gas mileage, i want it soo bad