"E-office" visits...WTF?!?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=61751

booklover1104

09-05-2007 09:36:39

Okay...so, I get a letter today from my kid's health insurance provider (BCBS) telling me the usual b/s about rising costs in healthcare, how much more they're gonna charge me every year, policy changes, etc...

One of those changes are (and I quote)
"E-Office visits have a lower co-pay ($10.00 on most plans, if applicable)-so online doctor visits are not only convenient, they're also more affordable."

Again...WTF?!? Has anyone even heard of this before? I'm not as E-savvy as some of you on here -but my husband is- and I'm a lot more proficient than your standard "e-mails and pics from the grandkids" internet user, but I've NEVER heard of going to the doctor online and I'm wondering how it would even work... I mean, how do they give my kid his flu-shot or diagnose an ear infection and whatever online? And why would you go to the doctor in the first place if it weren't for a check-up or sick visit? ?

I'm confused.

egyptianruin

09-05-2007 09:42:54

I only do e-visits when I have a sinus or bronchial infection to get antibiotics. Most people do evisits for colds or the flu, not shots and I wouldnt recommend it for children because well I think a doctor should always look at them, sometimes they exagerate or do not emphasize what is wrong with them and we dont know how they feel.

booklover1104

09-05-2007 10:09:36

Wow...didn't know that people were doing this...I'm suprised that doctors would prescribe medications without actually seeing the patient. It's long-since been established that over-prescribing antibiotics is a serious health issue with "super-bugs" developing immunity to them. And even if you're talking about getting scripts for cold symptoms...in my state they limit the amt of OTC cold meds you can buy in 1 transaction, so I wouldn't think that prescribing script-strength meds ONLINE would be inline with that policy.

And no, I agree with you, Egyptianruin...if I feel the need to pay a Dr. for their knowledge when my kid is sick, I'm gonna want a face-to-face.

maksmom

09-05-2007 11:22:11

That sounds crazy to me...if your kid is sick, the doc's gotta see them. They might catch a symptom you didn't and the "cold" might turn out to be more serious. And if your kid isn't sick and it's a well-visit, they still need to weigh them, measure their height, check other things. It's called a "physical" for a reason. And if it's an ongoing condition and they just need more meds, you shouldn't need a visit anyway (e-office or otherwise), just a prescription re-fill. I can kinda, maybe in certain instances see where an adult might use an e-office visit, but I would never ever consider one for my kids. What is this world coming to?! shock

givmea1032

09-05-2007 11:46:58

Wow, never heard of it. I usually just call my doc for meds when I get a sinus infection or have my wife grab something from their med closet (works at doc office)... Makes sense though. I can see it good for minor things, or things you know what it is.

kidd2108

09-05-2007 12:29:44

[quoteae7b885c7e="egyptianruin"]I only do e-visits when I have a sinus or bronchial infection to get antibiotics. Most people do evisits for colds or the flu, not shots and I wouldnt recommend it for children because well I think a doctor should always look at them, sometimes they exagerate or do not emphasize what is wrong with them and we dont know how they feel.[/quoteae7b885c7e]

wait, so you visit a doctor online? Never heard of that either.

have a link??

Wolfeman

09-05-2007 12:35:59

My doctor lets me tell him symptoms over the phone sometimes...

ldybug1752

09-05-2007 12:41:39

[quotef305d85e9b="givmea1032"]Wow, never heard of it. I usually just call my doc for meds when I get a sinus infection or have my wife grab something from their med closet (works at doc office)... Makes sense though. I can see it good for minor things, or [bf305d85e9b]things you know what it is[/bf305d85e9b].[/quotef305d85e9b]

I agree, there are some things I've had throughout my life, like pink-eye, I get it at LEAST once a year, and I always know it - so I would probably want an e-visit to get the drops I know I need. Also throat-related things, like strep or tonsilitis, I always know when I have it, so..yeah...e-visit ) But I would never replace that for a hands-on doctor visit when it comes to children...not that I have any, but when I do..no e-visits for them.

ilanbg

09-05-2007 12:45:11

My doctor performed a colonoscopy on me over AIM once.

kidd2108

09-05-2007 12:47:49

[quote8e5c109990="Wolfeman"]My doctor lets me tell him symptoms over the phone sometimes...[/quote8e5c109990]

yea, my doctor too, but then he says "see me tomorrow."

egyptianruin

09-05-2007 12:48:08

[quote9cf2607702="kidd2108"][quote9cf2607702="egyptianruin"]I only do e-visits when I have a sinus or bronchial infection to get antibiotics. Most people do evisits for colds or the flu, not shots and I wouldnt recommend it for children because well I think a doctor should always look at them, sometimes they exagerate or do not emphasize what is wrong with them and we dont know how they feel.[/quote9cf2607702]

wait, so you visit a doctor online? Never heard of that either.

have a link??[/quote9cf2607702]

My allergist has a specific site, where I tell him my symptoms what I am going through etc and they do indeed bill my doctor for it, most of the time he just tells me to come in though because Im an allergic mess.