Why don't people read their PM'S?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=61655

lorny35

07-05-2007 21:39:17

This is crazy. People post they want to make money. "PM me with your offers". Then they sit there for weeks. I have several that haven't even been read, and I know these people have been on, you can see that. I deleted a whole bunch that have been sitting for nearly a month.
How can it be possible that they don't know they have pm's?
Also, how long is long enough to wait for someone to confirm a trade? I mean, if they want the money, they should get on it and do it!
Sorry, I just needed to vent. I have had so many people say "I want to do your offer". You pm them back the details, get all excited cuz you think your getting another referral; then NOTHING. It just sits in their box. It's very frustrating.
Again, just needed to get this off my chest! I think I might feel better now wink

tjwor

07-05-2007 22:04:14

what's a pm?

frediggy

07-05-2007 22:06:05

Hey, just give them a time limit. If they don't sign up or respond in that amount of time, cancel the trade. As long as they know how long they have to respond or sign up, if they are serious they will do it. If they don't, then they never will. Cancel them and forget it.

frediggy

07-05-2007 22:07:04

[quote8930c0fe52="tjwor"]what's a pm?[/quote8930c0fe52]
close to a bm.

lorny35

07-05-2007 22:21:28

good answer frediggy dance

Tholek

07-05-2007 23:02:34

In regards to PMs, I hope you're just replying to offers in trading threads, and not just sending them to people out of the blue. If so, you may not be here long. ;)

You also have a ref link in your signature....[i2b1d71acd2]had[/i2b1d71acd2]. Don't do that again either. Look at the rules and you'll see it's not allowed.

lorny35

08-05-2007 08:24:45

No, I am talking about when people reply to my post, saying "Yeah, I like your offer. I'll do it". Gets your hopes up. So I pm them back saying ok, and never hear from them again. wink

tinkerjenn

08-05-2007 08:26:52

happens to me ALL THE TIME

lorny35

08-05-2007 08:50:13

I know it happens to everyone. I was just tired, in a bad mood, and needed to VENT!! LoL. I'm all better now! cheer

condra

08-05-2007 09:29:49

i think too many ppl pm that guy or gal inquestion. lets face it when someone says ''i wanna green'' in the trading forum, he gets 100+ pms the same day, if not in 2h

so maybe the noobs feel overhelmed...

skepticalcynic

08-05-2007 10:27:03

On the other hand - what does it hurt to let it sit in your outbox? - you may get a referral out of it down the line. Then just put the time limit on your trade if it gets that far.

maksmom

08-05-2007 10:40:18

If I send a PM in response to a thread saying they want to go green, I figure if I haven't heard from them in 3 days, it's a no go. I'd have to say that I've never gotten a [i23b4dd9852]single ref [/i23b4dd9852]by responding to a thread. They've all been from someone responding to my thread. I think there are way more newbies out there that don't post threads and the way I see it they're more inclined to be your ref when they come to you vs you responding to their thread. But yeah, I do see the need to vent periodically when doing freebie sites. We're all in the same boat and can totally relate. Don't give up!! D

jonohull

08-05-2007 16:15:08

[quoteb3e2fbec07="maksmom"]If I send a PM in response to a thread saying they want to go green, I figure if I haven't heard from them in 3 days, it's a no go. I'd have to say that I've never gotten a [ib3e2fbec07]single ref [/ib3e2fbec07]by responding to a thread. They've all been from someone responding to my thread. I think there are way more newbies out there that don't post threads and the way I see it they're more inclined to be your ref when they come to you vs you responding to their thread. But yeah, I do see the need to vent periodically when doing freebie sites. We're all in the same boat and can totally relate. Don't give up!! D[/quoteb3e2fbec07]

I get about half from replying to other people's posts, less than half from my own topics, and the rest from my sig. You have to jump on other topics when they have 50 views or less, that's the only way to get them in time.

jy3

08-05-2007 16:43:29

some people just leave or get busy
also, this is "on topic"

lorny35

08-05-2007 19:09:52

[quote7a8c129999="maksmom"]If I send a PM in response to a thread saying they want to go green, I figure if I haven't heard from them in 3 days, it's a no go. I'd have to say that I've never gotten a [i7a8c129999]single ref [/i7a8c129999]by responding to a thread. They've all been from someone responding to my thread. I think there are way more newbies out there that don't post threads and the way I see it they're more inclined to be your ref when they come to you vs you responding to their thread. But yeah, I do see the need to vent periodically when doing freebie sites. We're all in the same boat and can totally relate. Don't give up!! D[/quote7a8c129999]
This is exactly what I am talking about. I too, have not gotten hardly any refs by pm'ing someone that says they want to go green. I am talking about MY thread that says "$20 for green on OGF sites". People are pm'ing ME saying, "yeah I would like to do your site for $20" or "yes I will green for you on your site" or whatever the response may be. So that gets your hopes up, then you don't hear from them.
Yes, I do reply and pm people who say they want to do offers, and honestly I think I may have had 3 do them. But if I respond to someones thread, and say "yes I will do your site for X amount", then I follow through. Communication is the key! Just don't say you want to do it, then fall off the face of the earth! Then, I have one that was all excited about doing my shoes.ogf for me. I set up the trade 4 days ago, she's not been back on since, nor read my pm's about the trade being set up.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cause such a commotion. I understand we are all in the same boat.
Happy trading to all! wink

cubbieco

08-05-2007 23:11:03

What really bugs me is people who you set up the trade, trade module and all, confirm the trade, then they sign up under you, all is going great and then...

NOTHING!!!!

I ALWAYS did the offers at the same time I signed up under somebody. All at once. Period.

I don't understand why I have 4 people signed up under me who didn't do any offers. No communication, nothing. I do have a person who only did one offer and not finished, but there is communication there so I can live with that.

Jenne1975

08-05-2007 23:28:56

Yeah I love those kind....the gone yellow then "DUH" nada....Ive got a couple of those. Ok 6 of those...

maksmom

09-05-2007 07:36:31

I'm just glad there's a procedure in place which lets us delete those kinds of trades, I hate being left hanging ...it's also why I now always put in time limits on my trades.