You're all gonna be mad. . .

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=61626

stueybaby17

07-05-2007 16:43:25

another "How's my Resume look topic!"

So . . . How does my resume look? After seeing a bunch of these around the forums I've finally forced myself to sit down and make one.

I'm considering changing the name of the activities/awards section. But I'm not sure if I should, and if I do I'm not sure what do change it to.

Any thoughts or other problems or suggestions?

http//myweb.bloomu.edu/sjsienki/Resume.doc

moviemadnessman

07-05-2007 17:58:48

That looks like a decent resume. I'm currently too tired to really take a close look at it, but with my quick once-over, it looks pretty good.

KeithA

07-05-2007 18:09:28

Solid overall. Few suggestions

1) Put Bloomsburg above your high school education. List your major.
2) List the month you started and ended each of your jobs.
3) Clean your experience section up a bit; you don't need to list your employers' or schools' addresses on a resume, but you should give a bit more detail about what was involved in each of your jobs.
4) Group related courses together under single bullets. Likewise for software skills.
5) Lose the objective or expand it to say something about what you have to contribute, not just what you hope to get from the job. E.g. "To apply basic accounting knowledge in an entry-level a/p, a/r, or staff accounting role"
6) Qualify your "demonstrated abilities." Are your Excel skillz basic, intermediate, or advanced? How many words per minute can you type? What version of Peachtree do you know?

If I think of anything else I'll let you know...

TryinToGetPaid

07-05-2007 18:12:20

I need to do my resume, especially if I plan to move up in this company soon...

stueybaby17

07-05-2007 19:49:16

[quote3580b14b8e="KeithA"]Solid overall. Few suggestions

1) Put Bloomsburg above your high school education. List your major.
2) List the month you started and ended each of your jobs.
3) Clean your experience section up a bit; you don't need to list your employers' or schools' addresses on a resume, but you should give a bit more detail about what was involved in each of your jobs.
4) Group related courses together under single bullets. Likewise for software skills.
5) Lose the objective or expand it to say something about what you have to contribute, not just what you hope to get from the job. E.g. "To apply basic accounting knowledge in an entry-level a/p, a/r, or staff accounting role"
6) Qualify your "demonstrated abilities." Are your Excel skillz basic, intermediate, or advanced? How many words per minute can you type? What version of Peachtree do you know?

If I think of anything else I'll let you know...[/quote3580b14b8e]

1) Done
2) I haven't the foggiest clue what months I started and ended each job.
3) How do you think I should do this? I got rid of the addresses, but I'd like to have my job title there along with duties. So I was thinking something like

Papa John's
Title Assistant Manager
Dutites Customer Relations, Inventory Control, Scheduling, Indent this Open/Closing Day Procedures
Better Ideas?

4) Principles of Accounting I, II Like that?
How should I put the software into groups.
5) Will be expanded
6) I'm not quite sure how to qualify my skills they are probably somewhere inbetween basic and intermediate. I can find out the version of peachtree whenever I get home. But what type of format should I use to add that in?

edit Thanks for helping. Great advice. +karma

maksmom

08-05-2007 11:11:31

Hi! I assume you're an accounting major (just like I was many, many years ago). Start your education section with what you're currently doing. I would say something like "2005-present currently pursuing a Bachelor of Science Degree in Accountancy at Bloomsburg University of PA". Then list your high school info. And you don't have to include the full address, just city,state. And I wouldn't list all the acct. courses you've taken because if you're going for an accounting major, your potential employer will assume you've taken accounting classes. That leaves more space to write about the jobs you've already had, like "Customer Service Representative responsible for maintaining amicable relationships between customers and management (or whatever it is you specifically did)" or "Assistant Manager duties included reconciling receipts, etc". You also don't have to list the full addresses, just city, state. If you can demonstrate you used acct. skills in your jobs, even better. If you're looking for a position in the acct field, play up the "Volunteer Income Tax Assistance" a bit more...did you actually prepare people's taxes? Put that in somewhere. You'll get a whole bunch of other great ideas from people here at FiPG...I'm always amazed at how much you all help each other out. GoodLuck!! D

stueybaby17

08-05-2007 11:28:01

So I was looking around on the internet and with some of the responses that I've gotten on the forums, I'm thinking that I should not worry so much about my column type format.

Still have some bolding of the topics, but go more into rows of information with some detail of everything?

Because if I dont' do that, I'm not quite sure how to still keep it columnar.

Thanks for all the help.

+Karma maksmom

Jenne1975

08-05-2007 23:32:06

If you dont know the dates you worked.
Either call them one by one and get the dates
or just put things like "under a year" "over a year"
i did that once and they liked it....

cubbieco

09-05-2007 00:21:45

Looks pretty good to me. I'd drop the "related coursework" section and replace it with something like "currently in third year accounting courses" or something like that. The class names just don't have any meaning to me (BTW I'm an accountant myself).

I agree with maksmom about the "2005-present" for the university. Definitely keep the GPA there, a 3.7 is quite good and you should let them know.

You really need to figure out the month for the other jobs. At some point you're going to apply for a job at a large company that in addition to your resume will want you to fill out an actual application. If you ever need to do a background check in the future you'd need it for that as well. If you figure it out on your resume you can just refer to that if you ever need those dates for anything else.

Man I should post mine here. I'm just starting back in the job market again and my resume may be a bit dated.

maksmom

09-05-2007 07:31:20

Hey, stueybaby17!! Thanks for the Karma...I'm glad to help!

KeithA

09-05-2007 08:20:39

[quote871320cbb8="cubbieco"]Man I should post mine here. I'm just starting back in the job market again and my resume may be a bit dated.[/quote871320cbb8]

I was a recruiter for accountants and would be happy to offer suggestions. -)