Same IP....issue or not? Can anyone CONFIRM through Gratis?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=613

jesterfx

23-09-2004 23:09:21

From my personal experience, I have had a few skeptical friends that did not want to sign up thinking it was a scam. The only way I was able to convince them is by showing them all the info and showing them my account on the site. They were ready to sign up using my ref link, on my pc, but I decided to not let them because I have "heard" that having multiple signups on the same ip range (home network) will get you on hold. I am tired of "hearing" this but not knowing since it really is easiest to convince people when they are sitting right there with you. There is no mention about same IP on the gratis sites (last I checked) but all these people saying that it is true is making me paranoid of having my legit friends sign up.

They all have their own addresses and will do their own offers (obviously) but if they sign up using my PC will it be a problem?

Can someone from Gratis that lurks here or someone with a Gratis contact verify this once and for all....PLEEEEASE!!!

Thanks in advance.

harry989

24-09-2004 07:53:03

there is no steadfast rule for anything as far as hold. I wouldnt recommend using the same ip, cpu, or even being in the same room as the person signing up. Let them do it totally on their own, and get totally random people. But having the same IP as one other user does not necessarily get you on hold either. Many people share ip or ip blocks via school, work etc. So we take that into consideration.

jesterfx

24-09-2004 17:47:40

Thanks for the reply harry. That at least give a general throught on it which is good. Was tired of hearing that "YOU WILL" be put on hold and such from people who have no idea lol.

Admin

24-09-2004 18:19:52

jester it's easier for those of us who are veterans of the program to simply say that same IPs will get you put on hold, because a large percentage of those who are asking the question are intending to defraud gratis. that's why we say it. if your referrals are absolutely unique, try their offers, and are not walked through it with you, you have nothing to fear, even if it is a same-IP situation.

jesterfx

24-09-2004 18:41:12

yeah I figured that and didn't want to poke too deep into the answers but wanted at least a general idea.

Sucks you have to be careful about answering questions in fear some punk will try to use the info in some way to cheat. I mean the offer is cool enough and with a little work you get a free product...no reason whatsoever to try to cheat ?

My worry was that my first referral was my girlfriend who lives in another state but was visiting with me for the summer. I talked her into doing it and she did and also tried one of the offers. I figured there would be no problem with it at all until I saw someone post somewhere that it will get you put on hold and then I paniced. My best friend also signed up for me and completed a referral while he was here hanging out. He didn't really plan on doing it but said if I ever get 4 he would go ahead and be my 5th (think he is STILL skeptical lol). He also did it all on his own although he asked a couple questions which I answered. He was worried that everyone would have his credit card # and I told him that only the advertiser who you do the offer for will have it and that most are huge and well known companies that have no time for ripping him off lol.

Anyway, I got my total 5 and ordered on the 15th and it went into processing and has been in processing (no other description, such as p3 or anything) ever since. Since it says usually 3-5 days I thought that whole same ip=hold thing was true and that is why I asked here.

I assume that Gratis orders the ipods (and other stuff) in blocks and in turn processes accounts in blocks as well and that may be the reason my processing is taking more than 5 days so far. Maybe I missed the last block and will continue processing on the next order?

Thanks again guys. It's very nice to have a place to get some real answers from people in the know. Not only is Gratis doing a great job, especially under the circumstances of the crazy traffic, but freeipodguide.com has become THE official-unofficial place to get the scoop. Cheers to both!

Admin

25-09-2004 00:26:26

Thanks.

joshg

27-09-2004 02:05:52

Thanks for the information all, a nice reassuring thread with good information from an official source. =)

sootroom

27-09-2004 05:46:46

I don't know if this is how gratis does it, but I'd detect fraud based on a total score like spam assassin does.

5 points would get the account flagged for a possible fraud and stuff like having the same IP address would give you a point or two. That way one minor thing won't screw the whole deal up. Various things would give you more or less points adding up to a total score that would tell me if you should have your account hand checked or not.

jesterfx

27-09-2004 18:36:03

[quote4e9d5de149]5 points would get the account flagged for a possible fraud and stuff like having the same IP address would give you a point or two. That way one minor thing won't screw the whole deal up. [/quote4e9d5de149] That's a good idea, and who knows maybe they do have something like that...

The only thing though is any amount of fraud is still fraud. Say only one of their 5 referrals is faked somehow...it might make it past the flagging though there is still some fraud. I guess as long as Gratis gets credit/paid by the advertiser for that "fake" then it's not really a big deal to them though they probably want to have as little false referrals as possible to keep a good standing with the advertisers. And the only thing worse than getting frauded is finding out from that advertiser that they are not going to pay you for someone that you already sent an ipod too. It's better to be aggressive and try to catch all that you can before your clients do lol.

LadyBast

05-10-2004 23:14:11

When I signed up I didn't know my husband couldn't sign up under me as we live in the same household. I figured another offer was another offer. And obviously we have the same bank account.

Now I know same household doesn't count. Is there any way to delete his green and just get another? Or start over?

chillpiieX

16-10-2004 17:49:25

good to know its not a for sure thing about being put on hold since i live on campus and most of my referrals are people also living on campus