Scary

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=61150

stueybaby17

01-05-2007 18:24:35

This is kinda really scary. Especially with what has just happened with Virginia Tech. I dont' think anything is gonna happen with it and it's just a thing that the school has to do, but it's still scary.

[quote579a938b71="BU Website"] Campus Alert
This campus alert is issued in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Police and Crime Statistics Act of 1990.

Bloomsburg University officials have received a PFA (protection from abuse) order for a BU female student against a young man from Schuylkill Haven, who is her ex-boyfriend. Although we regularly receive notices like this, we are putting an announcement out about this particular one due to extenuating circumstances surrounding the situation. This young man, who is not a BU student and who does not live in the area, has a webpage on myspace.com where he is pictured with [b579a938b71] assault rifles. [/b579a938b71] At this time, our campus police are posting a police officer at Elwell Hall, residence hall staff members have been put on alert and the town police have been notified of the situation. We are cautioning all students to please observe regular safety measures and to be on alert. Do not allow anyone you do not know into a residence hall unless they live there. Report any suspicious behavior to the campus police at 389-4168. We will keep you updated on this situation [/quote579a938b71]

patrick_7412

01-05-2007 18:49:38

People really need to find a new hobby or something. The world keeps unfolding every day before our eyes.

I can see another Civil/World War coming very soon with all this commotion.

tinkerjenn

01-05-2007 18:52:25

There's the same situation in Atlanta at GA State and GA Tech

stueybaby17

01-05-2007 18:54:17

I just went out for a few minutes and I guess this must be something pretty serious. Probably something a little more going on than they are actually telling us. But there are signs about this EVERYWHERE!

TFOAF

01-05-2007 20:08:24

[quote9612069240="tinkerjenn"]There's the same situation in Atlanta at GA State and GA Tech[/quote9612069240]
One of my best friends is going there next year. (To Georgia Tech).

ilanbg

01-05-2007 20:27:23

Jeez, V-Tech had a school shooting.

I'm sure it will be a yearly tradition now; everyone who attends that school in the future is as good as dead.

People need to stop living in fear. Death and danger are all around you. Come to terms with it, and stop worrying about who can hurt you. These sensationalized fatalities are negligible compared to all the more 'natural,' accepted ways of dying or getting killed.

A Hart

01-05-2007 21:31:45

[quoted2269fdb74="ilanbg"]Jeez, V-Tech had a school shooting.

I'm sure it will be a yearly tradition now; everyone who attends that school in the future is as good as dead.

People need to stop living in fear. Death and danger are all around you. Come to terms with it, and stop worrying about who can hurt you. These sensationalized fatalities are negligible compared to all the more 'natural,' accepted ways of dying or getting killed.[/quoted2269fdb74]

Let's hope it's not a yearly tradition. But the world is over populated, that's for sure. I'm expecting some sort of natural disaster so that the poor Earth can wipe half of us out and start to heal from all of our "progress". There is no natural selection anymore, thus the crazy are allowed to pro-create.

A natural death is just that. These kids deaths are tragic and should not be trivialized by saying that you need to come to terms with danger. I know there are people out there that would hurt me and my kids, and knowing that doesn't make me feel more at peace. It makes me terrified that there are pedophiles and freaks out there that would snatch up one of my beautiful boys. And gives me a heightened sense of awareness of who is around and when. I hope you don't take this as a personal rant. But being a Virginian makes me feel close to this tragedy. For you to say that they are sensationalized fatalities makes me think that they are really not that important. They just got lots of media attention.

Easy Bling

01-05-2007 23:35:24

I'm from California and I sympathize with the victims' families from Virginia Tech. I didn't know any of the victims, however, I know they had people who cared for them closely, and that is where I can relate by imagining how I would feel if one of my closest friends was murdered.

Secondly, it is true that nature does take many lives daily, however nature does not murder them. The unfortunate souls of VT were murdered, their lives taken away by another invidual who felt that he had the "right" to pass judgment on who dies and who lives. Their deaths were not natural, show more respect, they deserve to be mourned and grieved over. Life will move on, it always does, but for this brief moment, shed a tear, have a moment of silence, say a prayer, anything to be even remotely connected to the grief and sorrow the families must be going through. Whether you want to be or not, we are all neighbors on this Earth.

JOSHBOX

01-05-2007 23:37:55

[quotefed2c358df="ilanbg"]Jeez, V-Tech had a school shooting.

People need to stop living in fear. Death and danger are all around you. Come to terms with it, and stop worrying about who can hurt you. These sensationalized fatalities are negligible compared to all the more 'natural,' accepted ways of dying or getting killed.[/quotefed2c358df]

While we cant let fear cripple us, ignoring danger and not trying to prevent similar occurrences is just stupid.

stueybaby17

02-05-2007 06:21:34

[quote6bad2f2d25="ilanbg"]Jeez, V-Tech had a school shooting.

People need to stop living in fear. Death and danger are all around you. Come to terms with it, and stop worrying about who can hurt you. These sensationalized fatalities are negligible compared to all the more 'natural,' accepted ways of dying or getting killed.[/quote6bad2f2d25]

Honestly, you are kinda being a dick. Not trying to flame or anything, but come on? All those people who senselessly died and you are complaing that they are sensationalized. I know death and danger are all around, and I dont' worry about it all the time, I'm sure most people don't. And I'm sure the people that were murdered at V-Tech didnt' worry everyday. And you can't live in fear and not go out or anything because of this, but I'm sure that if somebody told you there was a good chance that a crazed gunman was going to come into your house and shoot you in the face you might think it's a little scary too.

I'm not saying to live in fear, but if somebody tells you that there is a guy out there that has the weapons, history, and reason to possibly go on some type of killing spree there is a reason to be a little scared. But I'm not saying I'm so afraid that I'm gonna lock myself in the dorm and not go out anywhere.

soon2bbriz

02-05-2007 19:18:55

They found a 12 year old kid in one of our city schools today with a LOADED gun in his bookbag!!! I don't even know what to say..

http//wsls.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSLS/MGArticle/SLS_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173351044396

A Hart

04-05-2007 06:13:32

Yep, they found a loaded gun in a students back pack at a middle school in Roanoke, VA.

In Pulaski County, VA there was a bomb threat found in one of the bathrooms.

And I heard something else about a school in Blacksburg/Christiansburg area where something was going on.

I guess the #1 crazy gave confidence to all the other crazies in the area. I'm just glad neither of my boys are old enough to be in middle school or high school yet.

dmorris68

04-05-2007 07:22:20

I think what ilanbg is trying to say is not to let the media convince you this is something new and widespread.

The Columbine incident and the rash of school shootings immediately surrounding it had people thinking school shootings were on the increase, when in fact they had DECREASED markedly over several years prior. The liberal and sensationalistic bent of mainstream media creates a circus around such events now, when it was barely reported in the old days.

Violent crime in general, and school shootings in particular, have been on a steady decline in the US in recent years, but you'd never know it to watch the news now. Death sells.

So don't be so consumed by fear and media sensationalism that you feel paralyzed to live your life. Statistically it's no more dangerous -- and arguably less so -- than it was for you 20 years ago. The difference is awareness, thanks to the modern media.

That's not to trivialize tragic events like Columbine and VT, and doesn't mean that precautions shouldn't be taken where a specific threat or likelihood of threat is concerned.

Also, kids have been taking loaded guns to school for years, and we've had several incidents of it in my small town in just the 14 years we've lived here. It's an incredibly stupid and dangerous thing to do, but 99% are just showing off and do not have malicious intent.

A Hart

04-05-2007 07:50:18

I understand that the worst scenario for anyone is a hot topic for the media. And I am sorry to say that they have scared me! But they haven't scared me anymore than just going to Walmart scares me. In my 30 years I have come to not want too many people in my life. The more you get to know a "new friend" the more you wish you hadn't made that friend. People are freaks. Anymore I am inclined to stay home with my kids.
I live in one of the smallest towns in VA. And even here two high school boys picked up a girl in Roanoke and tortured and killed her and drove her on the hood of the car to a bridge where they threw her off in to the creek. That bridge is less than a mile from my house. The shit is everywhere!!!!! You have to protect yourself. I am even thinking about jumping through the hoops to get a concealed weapon permit. I would like to think that if anyone of those professors would have been packing the tragedy could have been cut short.

im_trying_to_GET_UNBANNED

04-05-2007 07:58:43

[quotea58a3a00ae="TFOAF"][quotea58a3a00ae="tinkerjenn"]There's the same situation in Atlanta at GA State and GA Tech[/quotea58a3a00ae]
One of my best friends is going there next year. (To Georgia Tech).[/quotea58a3a00ae]

im going to georgia tech this year... i knew i should i made an application to emory university.

dmorris68

04-05-2007 08:01:31

[quotee0748ec171="A Hart"]You have to protect yourself. I am even thinking about jumping through the hoops to get a concealed weapon permit. I would like to think that if anyone of those professors would have been packing the tragedy could have been cut short.[/quotee0748ec171]

My wife and I have had a CCW for years, and I carry quite often. If you're comfortable around firearms, and are competent enough or willing to take training to become competent, then I encourage you to obtain a CCW. However do NOT try to do it without proper training and mindset. Without both you can be a danger to yourself and others, as well as a disservice to responsible CCW holders everywhere who are fighting for their rights to carry.

skepticalcynic

04-05-2007 08:03:38

There is a billboard on I-75 shortly after you enter FL that states very simply - "Florida residents can use deadly force" - originally, that made me feel a little uneasy, but they recently built a new correctional facility about a mile from my home and now I'm much more comfortable knowing that if someone threatens my family I can do something about it. Mind you, I am NOT a proponent of guns - but knowing I don't have to be a victim means a lot to me.

manOFice

04-05-2007 08:05:23

[quote213570d68f="im_trying_to_GET_UNBANNED"][quote213570d68f="TFOAF"][quote213570d68f="tinkerjenn"]There's the same situation in Atlanta at GA State and GA Tech[/quote213570d68f]
One of my best friends is going there next year. (To Georgia Tech).[/quote213570d68f]

im going to georgia tech this year... i knew i should i made an application to emory university.[/quote213570d68f]

nice username, lol

dmorris68

04-05-2007 08:07:03

[quote3184efaeea="O4F-Manofice"][quote3184efaeea="im_trying_to_GET_UNBANNED"][quote3184efaeea="TFOAF"][quote3184efaeea="tinkerjenn"]There's the same situation in Atlanta at GA State and GA Tech[/quote3184efaeea]
One of my best friends is going there next year. (To Georgia Tech).[/quote3184efaeea]

im going to georgia tech this year... i knew i should i made an application to emory university.[/quote3184efaeea]

nice username, lol[/quote3184efaeea]
And a nice way to get re-banned.

findme, that's not the way to go about getting unbanned.

A Hart

04-05-2007 08:15:38

We have guns in the house. My husband manages a salvage vehicle auction that we live right in front of and has been out there several times to catch people stealing. And I know nothing about the gun that he carries. Of course he keeps them locked up so that the kids can't get to them. I don't know if me carrying one would make the kids more interested in playing with guns or not. I mean obviously they know its not a toy, but actual consequences are not real to them yet. I don't know. That leads me back to why I usually hide out in the house. My brother actually had a nut with road rage pull a gun show it to him while they were driving side by side. I don't even honk the horn anymore! I didn't feel this way until someone almost backed a SUV over my 3 year old at a little league game. I just know that if something happened to one of my kids you may as well chuck me in the grave too. I guess that fear is more compelling than anything to me right now. Maybe it will get better when they get a little older.

ajasax

04-05-2007 08:27:55

[quoteccd6d9be04="dmorris68"]I think what ilanbg is trying to say is not to let the media convince you this is something new and widespread.

The Columbine incident and the rash of school shootings immediately surrounding it had people thinking school shootings were on the increase, when in fact they had DECREASED markedly over several years prior. The liberal and sensationalistic bent of mainstream media creates a circus around such events now, when it was barely reported in the old days.

Violent crime in general, and school shootings in particular, have been on a steady decline in the US in recent years, but you'd never know it to watch the news now. Death sells.

So don't be so consumed by fear and media sensationalism that you feel paralyzed to live your life. Statistically it's no more dangerous -- and arguably less so -- than it was for you 20 years ago. The difference is awareness, thanks to the modern media.

That's not to trivialize tragic events like Columbine and VT, and doesn't mean that precautions shouldn't be taken where a specific threat or likelihood of threat is concerned.

Also, kids have been taking loaded guns to school for years, and we've had several incidents of it in my small town in just the 14 years we've lived here. It's an incredibly stupid and dangerous thing to do, but 99% are just showing off and do not have malicious intent.[/quoteccd6d9be04]
As usual, Dmorris has the EABA post wink Exactly what I was thinking as I read this thread. Not proud of this, but my city probably has one of the worst public school districts in the country. Concealed carry probably happens on a daily basis in the worst schools, but there hasn't been one school shooting. I also agree that a CCW is pointless without the associated training. It brings to mind those movies where an unexperienced person is given a gun and shoots a friendly (albeit dramatized).

gafdpc

04-05-2007 10:41:51

[quotebe12336061="skepticalcynic"]There is a billboard on I-75 shortly after you enter FL that states very simply - "Florida residents can use deadly force" - originally, that made me feel a little uneasy, but they recently built a new correctional facility about a mile from my home and now I'm much more comfortable knowing that if someone threatens my family I can do something about it. Mind you, I am NOT a proponent of guns - but knowing I don't have to be a victim means a lot to me.[/quotebe12336061]

Gotta love Florida laws. I think the current law is that you can shoot even if you could have fled.

ilanbg

04-05-2007 13:42:04

Whoops, I missed this thread for a bit.

dmorris expanded on my post quite nicely. What I meant was that, statistically, being murdered or shot or raped or anything else that is considered 'evil' is quite, quite low. You'd be better off scared of [i7148c37c89]driving[/i7148c37c89] to school than of school shootings, because car fatalities are far greater (and, indeed, such a fatality is what I meant by a "natural" death; a more common death).

The point is that there are hundreds (thousands, maybe? I don't know) of colleges around the country, and the chances of [i7148c37c89]your[/i7148c37c89] school being targeted are negligibly low. You should have no fear of going to V-Tech—it's probably going to be the safest school to be at next semester—and you should have no fear of going about your daily lives, wherever they are.

givmea1032

04-05-2007 13:56:22

[quotecbf509cf25="A Hart"]You have to protect yourself. I am even thinking about jumping through the hoops to get a concealed weapon permit. I would like to think that if anyone of those professors would have been packing the tragedy could have been cut short.[/quotecbf509cf25]

Kansas just recently adopted a CCW law. However as most other states say, you can't carry in certain locations no matter what, of those, all schools are included.

dmorris68

04-05-2007 14:11:46

[quote2384d685e4="givmea1032"][quote2384d685e4="A Hart"]You have to protect yourself. I am even thinking about jumping through the hoops to get a concealed weapon permit. I would like to think that if anyone of those professors would have been packing the tragedy could have been cut short.[/quote2384d685e4]

Kansas just recently adopted a CCW law. However as most other states say, you can't carry in certain locations no matter what, of those, all schools are included.[/quote2384d685e4]
That's true, most all states have "off-limits" ordinances, however legislation has been promoted for some time to do away with those, particularly those where any property owner can arbitrary restrict legal carry. I don't have a problem with carrying being prohibited in schools, government buildings, and courthouses, but when say a store or restaurant owner is allowed to make that restriction, it seriously bothers me. The legislation I've seen basically states that if you state and federal government deemed you qualified to carry, then no private party should have the authority to usurp that.

And I don't think colleges are counted in the school restrictions, just K-12 public school systems. Now the college itself might have it's own private restrictions, but it's not written into law like the K-12 schools are, at least not that I recall. After the VTech shooting, I saw where some colleges (including VTech IIRC) suggesting that they might start allowing students with permits to carry on campus.