3D Sound (Holophonics) You gotta hear this.

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=60845

minkathebest

28-04-2007 09:53:33

Very cool sound effect, it will give you the creeps!
You'll hear a sound (matchbox shaker) moving above and behind you.

The recording was made using a technique called Holophonics.
I was surprised to learn that it's been around for a while. According to Wikipedia Pink Floyd used it on 'The Final Cut' i have that album but i don't remember hearing anything special.

I heard that effect on Jean Michel Jarre's album 'Metamorphoses' it gave me a big scare, i thought there's was someone on the roof lol.

To experience the effect you'll need headphones, any kind.

http//gprime.net/flash.php/soundimmersion

More info on Holophonics
http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holophonics

Please give me some karama if you enjoyed the experience ;-)

babA

KeithA

28-04-2007 10:06:40

Pretty cool. +karma

EatChex89

28-04-2007 10:36:42

that was pretty crazy

DIABLO

28-04-2007 10:42:33

If you've ever played first person shooter games online I'm sure you know this, but it's really weird how you can hear it going up and down and all over. Pretty cool, +KMA

ajasax

28-04-2007 10:43:23

My sound card is supposed to do something like this (CMSS-3D or something), but not this well. I also remember something like this on one of those theatre-style rides at Disneyworld. You put on a set of headphones and it sounded like they were shaving your neck.

condra

28-04-2007 10:48:48

really nice ) thank you!

CougarKid

28-04-2007 11:41:18

Oh wow, nice! karma )

FreeOffersNow

28-04-2007 11:51:25

You'll hear something like this in Nelly - Air Force Ones ) (not so much above and behind, but it goes left to right).

JennyWren

28-04-2007 12:48:43

Sry, not that impressed. Just works by knowing how your ears work. You can identify where a sound is coming from relative to where you are by the very slight differences in the time it takes for the sound to reach each ear (arrives quicker to the ear that is closer) combined with the differences in sound waves that hit your ear at different angles (volume, pitch, deviations in the proportions of the harmonics making up the sounds, etc).

FreeOffersNow

28-04-2007 13:00:08

[quote137b136a68="JennyWren"]Sry, not that impressed. Just works by knowing how your ears work. You can identify where a sound is coming from relative to where you are by the very slight differences in the time it takes for the sound to reach each ear (arrives quicker to the ear that is closer) combined with the differences in sound waves that hit your ear at different angles (volume, pitch, deviations in the proportions of the harmonics making up the sounds, etc).[/quote137b136a68]

So because you know how it works, you're unimpressed? That doesn't make much sense.

KeithA

28-04-2007 13:01:14

[quoteaae0df2faf="JennyWren"]Sry, not that impressed. Just works by knowing how your ears work. You can identify where a sound is coming from relative to where you are by the very slight differences in the time it takes for the sound to reach each ear (arrives quicker to the ear that is closer) combined with the differences in sound waves that hit your ear at different angles (volume, pitch, deviations in the proportions of the harmonics making up the sounds, etc).[/quoteaae0df2faf]

Indeed, and yet it does so via headphones. It's cool because it recreates the impression of 3D sound in two dimensions.

You must be a blast at magic shows...

dmorris68

28-04-2007 13:15:36

Well, I've been pretty impressed by Creative's CMSS-3D stuff. I'm a gamer and have played with surround speakers + positional audio for years. When I started gaming with buddies using voice chat/VOIP I reluctantly switched to a headset, and missed the positional audio. Buying an X-Fi Platinum and trying their CMSS stuff was a godsend.

I still prefer to game with surround speakers rather than a headset, but when I do need it, the surround experience is quite impressive to be coming from an ordinary set of stereo headphones.

JennyWren

28-04-2007 19:10:10

I'm a very cynical person. It makes me not very fun, but also a good person to ask for an honest response.

I admire that they can recreate that, but I'm not liamazedli.

And BTW at magic shows I'm always the one person looking at the magician's OTHER hand (the one that isn't doing the fancy stuff, but is actually doing the sleight of hand that makes it seem like magic). So I guess I'm a party pooper.

XiORE

28-04-2007 21:48:57

That was the coolest thing i've ever seen !!!!

[Edit] - Heard lol

Berky34

28-04-2007 22:00:02

Pretty cool, +karma

tracemhunter

29-04-2007 00:43:08

pretty cool. my sennheisers loved it.

Veek

29-04-2007 09:20:20

[quote650c6ca94c="KeithA"][quote650c6ca94c="JennyWren"]Sry, not that impressed. Just works by knowing how your ears work. You can identify where a sound is coming from relative to where you are by the very slight differences in the time it takes for the sound to reach each ear (arrives quicker to the ear that is closer) combined with the differences in sound waves that hit your ear at different angles (volume, pitch, deviations in the proportions of the harmonics making up the sounds, etc).[/quote650c6ca94c]

Indeed, and yet it does so via headphones. It's cool because it recreates the impression of 3D sound in two dimensions.

[b650c6ca94c]You must be a blast at magic shows...[/b650c6ca94c][/quote650c6ca94c]

I love you.

Easy Bling

29-04-2007 10:02:22

+ karma por tu, too bad it wasn't something like a counter-strike game to make the sounds (the matchbox got annoying, and started to give me a headache).

Side note Also notice that when the matchbox was "behind" you, you still can't really tell because the time it takes to get to your ears is the same if it were from the front, the only way you actually "knew" was because your brain heard the transition from the behind-right to to behind-left, so it just filled in the gap. The brain is so amazing.

"I am so smart! S-M-R-T! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!"

minkathebest

29-04-2007 20:50:47

here

check out the virtual haircut here (remember your headphones!!)

http//www.mediafire.com/?5mmjeykzzgd[]http//www.mediafire.com/?5mmjeykzzgd

+karma please if you like ;-)
bABA

JJPRO11

29-04-2007 22:10:03

thats kinda freaky.. cool.

cwncool

30-04-2007 15:19:24

[quoted9a71bbc5e="dmorris68"]Well, I've been pretty impressed by Creative's CMSS-3D stuff. I'm a gamer and have played with surround speakers + positional audio for years. When I started gaming with buddies using voice chat/VOIP I reluctantly switched to a headset, and missed the positional audio. Buying an X-Fi Platinum and trying their CMSS stuff was a godsend.

I still prefer to game with surround speakers rather than a headset, but when I do need it, the surround experience is quite impressive to be coming from an ordinary set of stereo headphones.[/quoted9a71bbc5e]
I think everyone here could agree that they'd love to game with you, David. lol