Easy money... NOT (rant)

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=60672

cubbieco

25-04-2007 22:19:51

I feel like rambling here for no apparent reason. Ignore me if you want. I've been at this about a month and a half. I've finished one site for $250 (I know this isn't the brag forum, it's just for perspective.) I'm close to a couple of others.

I thought coming in to the freebie scene that it would be a bit easier than it is. In reality it's pretty tough. There is a matter of luck... when to bump your trade post, finding the right people to PM, getting a newbie at just the right time to give you a green on your trainn site that everybody else also needs...

I'm not questioning if it's worth it because I believe it is. I think I'm in a bit of a rut that many people experience. With a TR about 25 I can't really do referral trades much anymore, and my TR isn't high enough for ultimate trust. I noticed that one of my favorite other users sandra habina had her TR shoot up from the 90 when I started to over 250 now, so that's a matter of time and perseverance.

I think I'm going to try to get into the social aspect here more. There's a lot of people and a lot of fun posts to read. I even made it though the very long Dr. Who post.

I'm bored. I definitely need another job. I should also set a goal to be able to spell definitely without using the spell check.

I don't know why I'm posting this here, and after reading this I'm sure you don't know why either. I guess its just one of those days and I don't have a blog to write to so I'll bore you instead.

Oh and by the way, freebie sites make the world go around.

Thanks for listening. Karma is appreciated.

jenluvsmo

25-04-2007 22:43:09

i know what you mean. i've been at this for about a month & a half & i still haven't finished my first site. nobody wants to green for me i guess because my tr is low & i can't really go green for green, i tried doing online surveys about a year ago & did some offers so i'm really short on what i can do, just saving those to sign up for new sites. i could kick myself for doing those offers before i found out about this! evil

i don't even feel like doing this anymore. it was fun at first when i was getting paid for going green, but all i need is 3 more greens to finish my first site & no one wants to help. aghhhhh!! x

Skimboarder

25-04-2007 23:03:47

It is really hard now days. Much harder than it used to be, back when it first started up. However it really isn't too bad of a hobby and the social aspect of it all is great. All I can say is don't give up. Just don't waste anymore time than you need to. I know I have this problem.

tylerc

26-04-2007 04:17:23

It's difficult for you because you are a little late getting on the freebie train. Not flaming, just saying. 2 years ago at this time finishing sites by trading or paying $15 per referral was not a problem.

tinkerjenn

26-04-2007 05:04:41

I knwo how you feel. I could just cry trying to get people to green for me (

JUNIOR6886

26-04-2007 07:34:35

basically there are times when the forum has a lot of noobs and refs are easy to come by and times when there are very few noobs and refs are really hard to find. Eventually things will get easy again. I think its best to combine diy sites with regular refferal sites to maximize income.
Becaise diy also goes through its own cycles of awesomeness and crappyness. Im at about $36,000 in freebies (where does it all go?)

tinkerjenn

26-04-2007 07:43:09

I have just around 3 weeks to make sure I can take my kid to St. Augustine. I've done so many offers even the DIY sites are dry for me (

I would be ok if I didn't have an emergency appendectomy and a tooth pulled (

skepticalcynic

26-04-2007 08:10:11

I'm beginning to wonder if I should just quit while I'm (barely) ahead...
"Go on... take the money and run..."

8)

givmea1032

26-04-2007 08:28:48

It also doesn't help that the infux of newbies get paid for a site or two, and then they want everyone to green for them... I would agree though, i've got a few sites I'd like to finish, and I'm slowing way down so I don't have a lot of open sites and no one greening.

bballp6699

26-04-2007 08:40:18

You think this is bad? You should have been here before the project payday over flow.

skepticalcynic

26-04-2007 08:45:45

I would be more than happy to continue greening for others if I hadn't already pretty much used up my available offers. The only ones left for me would cost more than what I would be paid to do it. Even that wouldn't be an issue if I knew I could finish a site. But I don't like the idea of spending and spending and not even getting enough back to cover my costs. Hence my frustration...

skepticalcynic

26-04-2007 09:16:47

WooHoo... I just set up my first trade for someone to green for me! I'm so excited! Of course, that doesn't mean I'll get the rest of them...

Oh well... Gotta keep trying, I guess...

8)

Excel

26-04-2007 09:30:56

[quoteb1dd0009f4="bballp6699"]You think this is bad? You should have been here before the project payday over flow.[/quoteb1dd0009f4]

I think its even worse now... Project Payday introduced a lot of new people, and now they have all done their offers and are looking for greens too...

DIABLO

26-04-2007 09:59:13

[quotea390a869fb="tinkerjenn"]I have just around 3 weeks to make sure I can take my kid to St. Augustine. I've done so many offers even the DIY sites are dry for me (

I would be ok if I didn't have an emergency appendectomy and a tooth pulled ([/quotea390a869fb]

You shouldn't be depending on freebies for paying for school, most people only make a few thousand in months and months, you can't depend on it especially due to all the new scammers that go red and getting scammed. I'm not trading until all these newbies stop joining, too hard to get refs, too hard to find anybody legit, and it doesn't make sense to pay $35 to make $40 when half of your refs reverse. If you really have a lot of time you should just get a job, freebies are more for people who have some extra time and want to make a few hundred dollars or some new game console or something, not people that want to make a living off of it.

tpkenter

26-04-2007 10:09:36

[quoted9d2f491da="DIABLO"][quoted9d2f491da="tinkerjenn"]I have just around 3 weeks to make sure I can take my kid to St. Augustine. I've done so many offers even the DIY sites are dry for me (

I would be ok if I didn't have an emergency appendectomy and a tooth pulled ([/quoted9d2f491da]

You shouldn't be depending on freebies for paying for school, most people only make a few thousand in months and months, you can't depend on it especially due to all the new scammers that go red and getting scammed. I'm not trading until all these newbies stop joining, too hard to get refs, too hard to find anybody legit, and it doesn't make sense to pay $35 to make $40 when half of your refs reverse. If you really have a lot of time you should just get a job, freebies are more for people who have some extra time and want to make a few hundred dollars or some new game console or something, not people that want to make a living off of it.[/quoted9d2f491da]

I'm confused. ? When did she say she needed the money for school? I thought she was taking her kid to the beach. I think freebies are a great way to pay for vacations! D

tinkerjenn

26-04-2007 10:17:38

and I have a job, kthx.

TryinToGetPaid

26-04-2007 10:25:38

I think Diablo though St Augustine was a school, which he is only 14 so he is a little slower....

speedno2chick

26-04-2007 11:02:09

my funds are steadily depleting from trading greens. Has anyone noticed that even the offers have become more pricey.

I'm on that ship too, I can't get people to do greens without trading or wanting way too much dough.

michae229

26-04-2007 13:33:09

[quote6837a374f0="speedno2chick"]my funds are steadily depleting from trading greens. Has anyone noticed that even the offers have become more pricey.

I'm on that ship too, I can't get people to do greens without trading or wanting way too much dough.[/quote6837a374f0]

DIY scene id better even though its dying i think the sites im doing will be my last if any one is interested PM me

ilanbg

26-04-2007 20:05:32

Heh, I've said "when I finish the sites I'm working on, I'm quitting the freebie business for good!" like every few months, but once a month or two passes things start getting good again. It takes a lot of work but I prefer the environment (posting on a forum, working my own hours and from home) than getting a part-time job to support myself as a student.

That said, once I finish the sites I'm working on, I'm quitting the freebie business for good...

Skimboarder

26-04-2007 20:50:20

I don't know about everybody, but no matter how bad it gets it still is a good hobby. Even though it may be slow you can always still get enough people to finish sites. Plus, who doesn't want a little cash on the side. Being a full time student I know that I always could use the extra and actually use freebies to pay for everything I need. Not a reliable source I know, but I don't have much to pay for at the moment either.

fp-work

27-04-2007 06:29:11

ive been doing this for about a month and a half. finished two sites. one for 250 the other for 120 and i have another one for 375 finishing soon.

As a college student i dont spend more than 20-30 mins a day even if it involves just browsing the forums. I love the little extra cash i get on the side. Pays for my food and gas which are pretty big expenses.

I was refered through project payday (yes i know uber noob status) but the site did mention this was for just some extra cash on the side. Although it presented the opportunity for making thousands a month, it never guaranteed anything.

skepticalcynic

27-04-2007 06:37:00

Nothing in life is guaranteed, but my children will sure enjoy the benefits of the extra money when they come to visit me in the summer. We may even make it to DisneyWorld this year. That's good enough for me!

speedno2chick

27-04-2007 10:48:13

my daughter wants to go to disney world this year too. but my son will be about 10 months old in the summer and I don't know if that's a smart thing (taking them both). But I hope I can make enough money to do things with her for the summer.

tspa

27-04-2007 10:53:22

I think I will always use spellcheck
My daughters teacher said she would always have to walk around with a dictionary, she could not spell worth a shit
She laughed and pointed to my purse with websters hanging out, and said hers not mine!!!
I am at tr 31
not bored, just not getting any refs

cubbieco

27-04-2007 22:32:19

Fun stuff. I used to think my spelling was really bad, then I started seeing some of the memo's at work... LOL

Use firefox. Then you get those little red underlines to tell you that you can't spell.

I think there must be a magic time that the referrals come and it's just a matter of posting during that "sweet spot" time period. Today I'm going to bump my trade last thing before bed to hopefully catch the Saturday morning crowd. My last successful time was last week on Thursday around 400 (MST) and I got 4 referrals, although only two are green so far.

sandra habina

27-04-2007 23:31:17

Thankyou cubbieco for mentioning me as one of your favorite traders, I appreciate that. I just want to tell you guys not to give up - as David said timing, luck and perseverance will pay off. I honesty have to tell you all I have really worked hard at this - I am disabled now from a serious car accident, so I no longer work, which gives me alot of time to be on here. Trust me when I say I am on this forum 10 hours a day - I know "get a life" but I really do enjoy the social aspect of this because you get sick of watching TV also. I have made some wonderful friends and comrads on here. And I have had the pleasure to work and help many many new traders and yes I do this for the extra money but I really get a great feeling seeing these "newbies" succeed at this. Right Cubbieco and Skepticalcynic. Hi guys. LOL David, I remember one of your first posts - asking if there was always so much PMing going on. LOL See I remember.

Any ways guys I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth and tell you to hang in there and hopefully soon it will get better.

PS Don't you wish there was a rule stating no posting for referrals until your TR is 5 or more. Then there would be more refs for us oldies. And less chance of scammers. Just a thought.

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY LADIES AND GENTS.

cubbieco

27-04-2007 23:59:06

Random thoughts
Should I feel bad when I report one of those TR0 will pay for referrals A4F transplants bump their trade post too often?

Why do a lot of the A4F transplants bump their post too often?

Do the TR0 will pay for referrals A4F transplants actually have any luck with their trading posts?

OKOK. It's late and I'm silly now.

I've decided it must be a case of feast or famine and works like this

1. Rapid influx of new blood due to ___________.
2. New and old alike are happy because of the new people going green for them.
3. New blood runs out of offers and try to do their own sites.
4. New and old alike are upset because of the new people trying to get others to go green.
5. New people trickle in at a normal pace which is too slow for most people.
6. New and old alike start to leave the site due to lack of people going green for them.
7. Long term site members are rewarded for their patience by having less competition for the trickle of new people coming in.
8. Rapid influx of new blood due to ___________.

If I had to guess I'd say we're at number 5 hopefully moving to number 6 and 7 soon.

As for me, this isn't costing me anything unless I get greens, I do have some extra time so I'm just going to stick it out.

speedno2chick

07-05-2007 10:08:56

[quote7ff246c220="cubbieco"]Random thoughts
Should I feel bad when I report one of those TR0 will pay for referrals A4F transplants bump their trade post too often?

.[/quote7ff246c220]

Because at A4f you are allowed to bump every 6 hours.

gmario

07-05-2007 10:18:25

[quoteb86724930b="speedno2chick"][quoteb86724930b="cubbieco"]Random thoughts

.[/quoteb86724930b]

Because at A4f you are allowed to bump every 6 hours.[/quoteb86724930b]

I got scammed for $30 on A4F cry cry cry cry cry cry cuz i got 21TR lol

shortys408

07-05-2007 10:23:29

iv never paid for a referral. Try other ways of getting referrals. Go to some friends and ask them to do an offer for you. Even offer to cover the cost of the offer. You could offer to pay them 5 or 10$. They will think they are getting a good deal because they do not know they can get paid 25-40$ on here.

A Hart

07-05-2007 10:57:12

I have had great success here the last few days, but there again, I have been on here non-stop. I have set up 8 new trades in the last two days and am really close to finishing my first site. But I do believe there will be a new wave of new people eventually. There are peaks and troughs to everything. And I think those of us who have started in here in the last few months have obviously started on a down slope. I have hope though!
And have met and chatted with some pretty cool characters.

condra

08-05-2007 17:58:42

oh well, things really slowed up around here (

which is very well represented by my avatar right now...that's how i feel

Easy Bling

08-05-2007 18:13:52

I think we should all band together and make freebie site. That way we will no longer have to worry about soliciting newbies to "go green" for our site, we just solicit newbs and oldies to sign up on our site. I mean, if they have enough to give away free ipods/bigscreen tvs/systems, they must be raking in some major dough, right?

Let's call the site GetWhatYouWant.com eh..eh?

ILoveToys

08-05-2007 18:47:48

I thought things were pretty good lately...I've gotten quite a few trades done recently.

cubbieco

08-05-2007 22:57:58

[quotec4c0193b42="ILoveToys"]I thought things were pretty good lately...I've gotten quite a few trades done recently.[/quotec4c0193b42]

When are you getting your trades? Like what time of day, day of the week.

I just got another trade so it's not completely dead, but definitely slow.

Jenne1975

08-05-2007 23:23:33

Ok you can all quit so i can get all the greens!! HEHE no just kidding Dont quit! Ive seen that on wednesday is when I get most of my trades. I bump around....1ish. Thursdays isnt too bad...about 5ish then bump. I went from trades of 24 to 33 in about one week. Not to shabby. Im not a very patient person either...but im going to keep at it. So should you all![/color56041b00b4]

cubbieco

09-05-2007 00:12:22

Wow, another bite today. Assuming this goes somewhere (and not another perpetual yellow) this would be two trades in two days after a drought over a week. I'm excited now.

speedno2chick

11-05-2007 13:01:47

I don't know weather to cry or break something. I can't seem to get people to go green for me for paypal. I have no money or choice of offers to trade greens. I got 2 charges today alone from offers I cancelled, causing my bank account to go into overdraft. Lost $200 or more these past 2 weeks on offers that charged when they were not supposed to.

What a way to start my weekend. I'm so frustrated..................pass me a friggin shotgun.

cubbieco

11-05-2007 22:27:20

[quote5d90e6606b="speedno2chick"]
What a way to start my weekend. I'm so frustrated..................pass me a friggin shotgun.[/quote5d90e6606b]

My suicide method of choice was to run out in front of a train. Shotgun is too hard to shoot when pointed at yourself, unless you are going for others.

Seriously, that really sucks. If you have a cancellation number from them then you should (hopefully) be able to get your bank to reverse the charges and with luck reverse the fees. Still sucks though.

gmario

11-05-2007 22:39:03

[quote72deb33a88="speedno2chick"]I don't know weather to cry or break something. I can't seem to get people to go green for me for paypal. I have no money or choice of offers to trade greens. I got 2 charges today alone from offers I cancelled, causing my bank account to go into overdraft. Lost $200 or more these past 2 weeks on offers that charged when they were not supposed to.

What a way to start my weekend. I'm so frustrated..................pass me a friggin shotgun.[/quote72deb33a88]

Thats sucks hope everything gets fix for you