Resume

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=60633

coolvaughan

25-04-2007 13:41:33

Just made myself up resume, the Word templates seemed rather busy. What do you guys think? Anything I should change?

http//www.box.net/shared/yt31c7f84v

moviemadnessman

25-04-2007 13:44:32

Now I can spam your phone limwahahahahaha!li

Just kidding. It looks nice and simple. )

KeithA

25-04-2007 13:47:18

What types of jobs are you applying to? Or is this for college apps?

coolvaughan

25-04-2007 13:50:06

I'm not really sure. There is job fair today with a few hundred different vendors so I was thinking about stopping by. I would love to anything that involves computers but realize i probably need certification for any of that. We have tons of local PC repair shops and I know of couple of them were there last year. Best Buy would be nice but I have applied through there online application twice with no replies.

So basically nothing really specific.

coolvaughan

25-04-2007 13:52:08

[quote6deb79e3f3="moviemadnessman"]Now I can spam your phone limwahahahahaha!li

Just kidding. It looks nice and simple. )[/quote6deb79e3f3]

Ya, I have used that number for some offers so I get lots area code 888, 800, 207, and 208 calls every day.

stueybaby17

25-04-2007 13:58:04

Makes me think that I better get on the move and completly redo my resume.

KeithA

25-04-2007 14:00:30

[quoteba16389882="coolvaughan"]I'm not really sure. There is job fair today with a few hundred different vendors so I was thinking about stopping by. I would love to anything that involves computers but realize i probably need certification for any of that. We have tons of local PC repair shops and I know of couple of them were there last year. Best Buy would be nice but I have applied through there online application twice with no replies.

So basically nothing really specific.[/quoteba16389882]

Add as much detail about your computer skills as possible. Mention which software you're familiar with (e.g. Microsoft Office), whether you have any HTML or similar skills, whether you're skilled in online research, etc.

What's your cumulative GPA? If it's above a 3.0, it's worth listing.

Are you involved in any sports or extra-curricular activities? If so, be sure to add them.

If you're running out of room, replace your references' contact information with the line "References available upon request." Contacting references is typically the last step an employer will take, so it isn't necessary to devote so much space on the page to them at this early stage.

Edit I see that you've already added some of these things under the "Experience" section. I'd just try to expand on it if possible, ideally by explaining where you used certain software or acquired certain skills.

stueybaby17

25-04-2007 14:04:00

[quotea1e1372ddd="KeithA"][quotea1e1372ddd="coolvaughan"]I'm not really sure. There is job fair today with a few hundred different vendors so I was thinking about stopping by. I would love to anything that involves computers but realize i probably need certification for any of that. We have tons of local PC repair shops and I know of couple of them were there last year. Best Buy would be nice but I have applied through there online application twice with no replies.

So basically nothing really specific.[/quotea1e1372ddd]

Add as much detail about your computer skills as possible. Mention which software you're familiar with (e.g. Microsoft Office), whether you have any HTML or similar skills, whether you're skilled in online research, etc.

What's your cumulative GPA? If it's above a 3.0, it's worth listing.

Are you involved in any sports or extra-curricular activities? If so, be sure to add them.

If you're running out of room, replace your references' contact information with the line "References available upon request." Contacting references is typically the last step an employer will take, so it isn't necessary to devote so much space on the page to them at this early stage.[/quotea1e1372ddd]

If you still need more room you can change your name part and put it on one line. I forget exactly how I did mine, but I know that I had all the info on one line with like a black border on the top and bottom. It was pretty kick ass, I actually got compliments on it.

I really wish I still had it so I could just update the information. Damn hdd crash!

KeithA

25-04-2007 14:11:03

Also, drop the Objective section unless it's highly specific. (E.g., "To apply my PC repair skills in an entry-level position with a local tech support service").

As it reads now, all it tells me is that you managed not to re-word the utterly generic Objective section a template you found online...

bballp6699

25-04-2007 14:13:50

Most people don't put their references on the resume. I also doubt they care that you like hiking, but who knows. You have to throw slop on there when you don't have much experience yet.

stueybaby17

25-04-2007 14:14:50

[quote9e8ac0a45c="KeithA"]Also, drop the Objective section unless it's highly specific. (E.g., "To apply my PC repair skills in an entry-level position with a local tech support service").

As it reads now, all it tells me is that you managed not to re-word the utterly generic Objective section a template you found online...[/quote9e8ac0a45c]

Yeah, this is true. The objective you have is like if you are applying for like taco bell again. You want to be specific. And that objective might change a bit depending on where you are applying. But in general KeithA has a good idea.

maksmom

25-04-2007 17:46:15

I agree with KeithA. You're obviously computer literate and probably have specific skills related to that, so play that up more in its own section, such as "Skills Acquired" or "Proficient At", then just list them. It doesn't necessarily mean you have certification in those areas, just that you know how to use, for eg. Powerpoint or Excel or whatever else. And I would just say "References available upon request" instead of listing them so that frees up space for other information about yourself. And definitely change the objective depending on the job you're applying for, just change it and print out the new one before applying to that particular job. And Good Luck!! D

coolvaughan

26-04-2007 11:57:49

Ok, I made some changes, does it look better?

http//www.box.net/shared/fipgpeivft

KeithA

26-04-2007 12:07:25

Looks great. Only other change I'd suggest is switching "thru" to either "through" or " - ".

stueybaby17

26-04-2007 12:09:59

You arent' gonna have that as two pages are you? Or is that second page just what you are going to give if someone want's references?

I strongly recommend make it all on one page and dropping the references if that isn't what you are going to do.

If it is what you are going to do I would add some more references.

coolvaughan

26-04-2007 12:12:35

Ya, the second page would only be if they asked. I gotta run over to Taco Bell sometime today to get my managers contact info for another reference.

Oh and thanks a bunch for the help guys, I think it looks a lot better after your suggested changes.

maksmom

26-04-2007 13:07:43

yep, looks good to me....i'd hire you...but first you've got to get rid of the picture of the weed plant on your cell phone, it might give people the wrong idea. wink