I've been offered a job: how much should I be paid?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=60566

Dr. Doom

24-04-2007 17:30:00

I know it's been a while since I've posted here regularly, but I still consider this to be one of the best places online to shoot the shit and get opinions on things.

Basically, a friend of a friend of a friend has a company that makes websites for other companies. It's a small company, just a handful of employees, but they seem to get plenty of business. Anyways, these guys have terrible English skills and need someone to write up a bunch of junk for them various proposals for building websites, contributing articles to the sites depending the content and some other stuff, I guess.

I have the job if I want it, which I still haven't decided. I'm going to speak to the head of company in a day or two to discuss what exactly I'll be writing and how much he'll pay me. Here's where the question comes in How much does someone usually get paid for this type of thing? What do you even call this job? Content Contributor? Web Publisher?

I know we have tons of l337 inTerWebZ dooDs here, so somebody's gotta know something.

dmorris68

24-04-2007 17:48:51

Salaries depend on a ton of variables location, size/budget of company, experience, education level, etc. It would be near impossible for us to guesstimate your salary with what you've told us.

FWIW, the position sounds like a Writer, Technical Writer, Contributing Editor, that sort of thing. You don't mention actually coding the sites themselves, just providing content. Since I'm more in tune with the hands-on technical side of things rather than just being a writer for website content, I can't really venture a guess at what the job would pay, even if I knew your specifics.

If you can nail down the specific title and job duties, you could refer to one of the many national salary surveys online that breaks down jobs geographically and by the other criteria I stated.

ilanbg

24-04-2007 17:55:40

I was going to say, "If you need to ask FIG, you probably shouldn't be getting paid very much at all," but then dmorris jumped ahead of me with that useful post and now my comment would come across as crass. (

Thanks a lot dmorris.

Dr. Doom

24-04-2007 18:07:15

As far as I know, I'll be doing little to no technical stuff, besides maybe uploading the content I've written to the sites.

To be honest, I think the company is interested in me because I just graduated with an English BA, but I worked as a helpdesk/tech support guy for 3 years. I guess my familiarity with software and internet stuff is appealing to them.

I really did not have in mind to go into the computer field at all (I'm applying to law school), but if the job pays well enough, I don't see why I shouldn't go for it. Normally, I would try to get compensation that equaled my old job (30k per year), but I don't know if that's too much for the job in question.

Thanks, dmorris. At least I have something to look up on monster.com...

FreeOffersNow

24-04-2007 18:43:31

Check out www.salary.com - it may not be too helpful in your current scenario, but it should give you an idea

Gigante

24-04-2007 19:41:50

Decide what your time is worth and how much you could get elsewhere.

DRay9911

25-04-2007 07:16:11

you could tell them this would be a good start

http//www.clarin.com/diario/2007/03/16/um/fotos/money.jpg[" alt=""/img7b5035959c]
-dan