WTF is up with PayPal's new policy

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=60302

tracemhunter

21-04-2007 17:41:23

So now my normal (non-premier) account gets charged fees when receiving money. Then to send money to my premier account i get charged. My $200 payment just turned into 184.09.

I am so sick of PayPal's bullshit.

tinkerjenn

21-04-2007 17:44:00

they have always charged fees when receiving money.

Admin

21-04-2007 18:00:31

you're both wrong[=https//www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside]you're both wrong

moviemadnessman

21-04-2007 18:19:31

Admin ... your link doesn't work. Where are you trying to have them look?

Admin

21-04-2007 18:44:09

whoopsie, fixed ;)

BlueX

21-04-2007 18:58:09

Thanks to PayPal, I lost both my account and $350.

PayPal's "security" is a load of BS, not to mention they are a rip off.. I wish the online world would use other Payment Processors.. everyone is so dependant on PayPal..

tinkerjenn

21-04-2007 20:47:43

I'm not wrong! They charge fees when you receive money from someone..not transferring from your bank or cc.

so there!

And yes, Paypal secrity is a pain in the butt. Every third transaction I make they put a hold on my account until I call them and verify that yes, I was the one who did the transactions. grrr

GCY

21-04-2007 21:07:56

^^If u have a personal account, there are no fees when receiving money.
I think u should take a look at the link admin provided again D

tinkerjenn

21-04-2007 21:11:47

I've always had a business premiere. lishrugli

moviemadnessman

21-04-2007 21:13:42

[quote0506bb68f7="GCY"]^^If u have a personal account, there are no fees when receiving money.[/quote0506bb68f7]True. But then again, "Personal accounts have limits on the number of credit or debit card funded payments received per year, and are assessed a transaction fee." [Source here]

In the long run, I think having a Premiere/Business account works out better.

tinkerjenn

21-04-2007 21:14:43

me too. Especially when I go through my stacks of comics and decide to get rid of some )

Admin

21-04-2007 21:41:52

you're allowed to have one personal and one premier/business account. it actually works out best to have both )

moviemadnessman

21-04-2007 21:47:58

[quoteb1bf109883="Admin"]you're allowed to have one personal and one premier/business account. it actually works out best to have both )[/quoteb1bf109883]I've thought about having 2, but I can't think of a reason for needing the Personal account. I mean, there are no fees for receiving money, but you can only get a limited amount of money per month I thought. Useful, but too limited for it to be really beneficial, I think.

I dunno. To each their own, I suppose )

jy3

21-04-2007 22:05:59

i figured having a personal account for one payment, from ygf, will mean no fees. am i right?

doylnea

21-04-2007 22:07:12

I use a premiere account to pay for ebay auctions with my CC (and get double 'protection' (CC and Paypal), and a personal account to accept trade monies, thereby not paying a fee to Paypal.

moviemadnessman

21-04-2007 22:14:29

Is there no limit on the money you can receive to a Personal account, then? If there isn't (I thought there were), then I'll probably start doing the same thing.

Admin

21-04-2007 22:39:58

yeah i pretty much use my personal for incoming money and business for outgoing... but my usage patterns don't line up all that closely with a lot of people's.

you will have a sending and/or withdrawal limit on your personal account if you can't get it verified. it's possible to have two accounts verified-- to get verified you must do two of
- add / confirm bank account
- enter SSN
- verify two credit card charges

so as long as you have a second bank account (usually savings accounts are fine) and a second credit card you can verify. you can get a bank account from ING direct if you only have a checking account currently. the ING account can be used to verify a paypal account.

it's rather excessive i admit but it makes sense at higher volumes, or if you have a strong dislike of paypal and want to limit the amount of money they get from you.

on a final note there really is little reason for site owners to use anything but mass pay. it works like a charm and users are usually ecstatic about it

moviemadnessman

21-04-2007 22:44:04

Well, while I'm not a huge fan of Paypal ... I haven't had any problems. And at the rate money moves to/from my account, I think just the one is fine.

Thanks you, Admin, for clarifying the Paypal "issues" we have. Lol...now if only you could solve the real Paypal issues. Thanks again for your help, though.

Admin

21-04-2007 23:24:18

you're welcome.

i've found paypal to be frustrating too but you gotta look at it from their perspective... they (claim to) have over 100 million accounts. they move sickeningly large sums of money every day... heck... every [iba1c2d9242]second[/iba1c2d9242]. they have to have automated systems to fight fraud. these systems will sometimes catch people when they shouldn't. when that happens, you've gotta call and get a human involved who can correct it. it's not perfect, but it works well enough to keep them in business and (i'm assuming) profitable. sucks having to get on the phone with them when its not really your fault, but every time i've had to do it it's worked out in the end.

Jenncherry99

22-04-2007 00:02:07

wait do so how do you tell if your account is a business or personal? I would think I set mine up as personal (although I can't remember since I have had it for so long) but I get charged fees for incoming money...so that means it is a business account then right?

moviemadnessman

22-04-2007 00:22:54

[quote3fed91e6a5="Jenncherry99"]wait do so how do you tell if your account is a business or personal? I would think I set mine up as personal (although I can't remember since I have had it for so long) but I get charged fees for incoming money...so that means it is a business account then right?[/quote3fed91e6a5]
Log in to your account, then click on your reputation number. It will take you to a page that tells you your account type, status, reputation, creation date, and how long you have been a member.

If you are getting fees for receiving money, then you have a Premiere or Business account.

shooter

22-04-2007 07:19:36

i always thought about making a payment processor... just never had the funds to do it. when i do you will love it!

when you log into paypal you will see something saying business or premier or personal.

Tholek

22-04-2007 07:43:59

I still haven't gone premiere or business. I just don't have that much incoming via paypal to justify upgrading. I might do a separate account in the future, though.

good2speed

22-04-2007 08:52:34

[quote2f9655c1b4="tracemhunter"]So now my normal (non-premier) account gets charged fees when receiving money. Then to send money to my premier account i get charged. My $200 payment just turned into 184.09.

I am so sick of PayPal's bullshit.[/quote2f9655c1b4]

paypal/ebay is outrageous with their fees. Its like we are paying paypal a service tax for their god damn services. They already have a monopoly and would be making a lot of money if they had a standard fee like $1 for anything up to $50, $2 for anything up to $100, $4 for anything up to $200, $10 for anyhting up to $500. They are making too much damn money off the fees. Someone else needs to challenge paypal in online payment methods. Its getting disgusting how much money they are allwed to keep.

doylnea

22-04-2007 09:23:27

g2s - do you have any idea how much it costs to process a CC transaction? Paypal is cutting you a pretty good deal.

Further, I hate giving my money to Paypal, and am jealous that they've perfected an idea I wish I had myself, but I'm not going to hate on them. They make transacting online business significantly easier.

and fwiw, the personal account limit to withdraw is $500 a month.

good2speed

22-04-2007 09:29:40

[quote545747eb55="doylnea"]g2s - do you have any idea how much it costs to process a CC transaction? Paypal is cutting you a pretty good deal.

Further, I hate giving my money to Paypal, and am jealous that they've perfected an idea I wish I had myself, but I'm not going to hate on them. They make transacting online business significantly easier.

and fwiw, the personal account limit to withdraw is $500 a month.[/quote545747eb55]

I know it doesnt cost 15 to make a charge of $200. If that were the case then how do retail merchants make cc authorizations? Paypal was doing fine a while ago but ever since they got all corporate and greedy its like a tax system that your forced to cope with if you purchase or recieve funds online.

They have got to greedy and need to be disposed of. Doesn't ebay already charge you a fee just for putting items up for auction and then they have the nerve to charge you extra on paypal transfers. Theyre owning us right now

Admin

22-04-2007 09:46:33

[quotee44b63651c="good2speed"][quotee44b63651c="doylnea"]g2s - do you have any idea how much it costs to process a CC transaction? Paypal is cutting you a pretty good deal.

and fwiw, the personal account limit to withdraw is $500 a month.[/quotee44b63651c]

I know it doesnt cost 15 to make a charge of $200. If that were the case then how do retail merchants make cc authorizations? Paypal was doing fine a while ago but ever since they got all corporate and greedy its like a tax system that your forced to cope with if you purchase or recieve funds online.

They have got to greedy and need to be disposed of. Doesn't ebay already charge you a fee just for putting items up for auction and then they have the nerve to charge you extra on paypal transfers. Theyre owning us right now[/quotee44b63651c]you're right that the $15 in fees he paid was a bit outrageous but there are two people at fault for that
1) whoever sent him the money funded it with a cc which is pretty bad form for a business. since it was a cc payment he got nailed with the 4.9% personal account processing fee. that fee is high to discourage personal account holders from accepting cc's. so there's most of the $15 fee right there.
2) then he sent it to a premier account at the normal 2.9%. add 'em up and you've got your 15 bucks.

i think paypal's fees on non-cc-originated transfers are a bit ridiculous but for cc processing you will be VERY hard pressed to find a cheaper solution for low to mid volume.

good2speed

22-04-2007 09:56:42

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I guess. though I still feel like their raping us.

Admin

23-04-2007 10:11:04

you know, you can use the masspay system to send one payment. as long as you have the necessary upgrade (i think business and/or premiere) and the funds are in your paypal account you can send any amount up to $10k to anyone for 1% [i3cf3b5d353]capped at $1[/i3cf3b5d353]. so if you use masspay, the most you'll ever pay to send someone money is $1, and they will never see a fee.

we use masspay exclusively now and it works out to be cheaper than (and about as secure as) cutting a check, but with the incredible convenience of online payment (no stamps, undeliverable mail, address corrections, etc etc etc)

they will fee you to death if you are not educated about what transactions are fee'd and how, but if you are smart about it you can get a lot of value for your money.

edit whipped up a masspay file generator for sending single payments
http//forum.freeipodguide.com/masspay.php

TFOAF

23-04-2007 10:35:07

[quoteda95c2e0f2="Admin"]you know, you can use the masspay system to send one payment. as long as you have the necessary upgrade (i think business and/or premiere) and the funds are in your paypal account you can send any amount up to $10k to anyone for 1% [ida95c2e0f2]capped at $1[/ida95c2e0f2]. so if you use masspay, the most you'll ever pay to send someone money is $1, and they will never see a fee.

we use masspay exclusively now and it works out to be cheaper than (and about as secure as) cutting a check, but with the incredible convenience of online payment (no stamps, undeliverable mail, address corrections, etc etc etc)

they will fee you to death if you are not educated about what transactions are fee'd and how, but if you are smart about it you can get a lot of value for your money.

edit whipped up a masspay file generator for sending single payments
http//forum.freeipodguide.com/masspay.php[/quoteda95c2e0f2]
I could be wrong, but I thought you paid $1 + a certain percentage for each payment you send, when someone pays via Mass Pay.

I'm quoting PayPal
[quoteda95c2e0f2]A low fee of 2.0% of the payment amount with a cap of $1.00 USD (or its equivalent in the payment currency) is assessed on each payment made with Mass Payment.[/quoteda95c2e0f2]

Or I could just be confused, I think I'm wrong, now that I think about it. 2.0% of the payment, and they won't take more than a $1? Hmm...

Admin

23-04-2007 11:11:20

damn, it used to be 1% (

2% is still better than anything else. and it says it right there, a $1 cap. you'll never get charged more than $1 per transaction in fees with masspay.

EatChex89

23-04-2007 13:58:09

I don't have any problem with Paypal. In fact, my account has never been put on hold liknock on woodli. And, they have actually called me several times regarding my debit card when they thought someone got a hold of it (I was actually just completing the $1 freebie offers).

So, so far, I have been AOK with them.

Lamif

23-04-2007 15:45:37

yea masspay is an awesome feature. I use it to pay people on my site and it saves me money so people get more money )