I think everyone is going a little crazy

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=60227

moviemadnessman

20-04-2007 19:06:56

http//www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18233965/

You would think there had been enough killing for this week ... and yet, here's another murder/suicide. I tell you, this world is rapidly falling apart.

kidd2108

20-04-2007 19:14:26

Some crazy things going on right now. My brothers school almost got cancelled b/c of a shooting threat.

Wolfeman

20-04-2007 23:32:50

The world has always been crazy. Don't buy into the media hype...

ralphbananas

21-04-2007 03:38:21

And Virginia Tech too. ( What the hell is happening?

ajasax

21-04-2007 05:42:34

[quote48217f3456="Wolfeman"]The world has always been crazy. Don't buy into the media hype...[/quote48217f3456]
Exactly. Now every murder/suicide shooting will be attributed as a copy-cat of VaTech? This goes on every day. Forget where I heard/saw this, but this kinds of violence occurs virtually daily in war-torn countries. It's too bad the schools will buy into the hype, and will probably further intrude on privacy, prying into library records, on-campus internet browsing, dorm/backpack searches, etc. The first thing the local news channel said after this story was "what is UNM [local uni] going to do to prevent a tragedy like this..." It's crazy that people believe one isolated occurrence will lead to mass anarchy and chaos. Just use your head people!

ghstlegacy17

21-04-2007 11:32:50

[quotef89f8cfe60="ajasax"][quotef89f8cfe60="Wolfeman"]The world has always been crazy. Don't buy into the media hype...[/quotef89f8cfe60]
Exactly. Now every murder/suicide shooting will be attributed as a copy-cat of VaTech? This goes on every day. Forget where I heard/saw this, but this kinds of violence occurs virtually daily in war-torn countries. It's too bad the schools will buy into the hype, and will probably further intrude on privacy, prying into library records, on-campus internet browsing, dorm/backpack searches, etc. The first thing the local news channel said after this story was "what is UNM [local uni] going to do to prevent a tragedy like this..." It's crazy that people believe one isolated occurrence will lead to mass anarchy and chaos. Just use your head people![/quotef89f8cfe60]

Agreed.

Skimboarder

21-04-2007 11:41:37

My school already is looking into metal detectors, because of the VA Tech shootings. They are announcing all kinds of threats and stuff (although none turn out to be true). The world is crazy, but you have to realize that it is worse in other places.

JJPRO11

21-04-2007 11:52:33

[quote80fdcbb9fc="ajasax"][quote80fdcbb9fc="Wolfeman"]The world has always been crazy. Don't buy into the media hype...[/quote80fdcbb9fc]
Exactly. Now every murder/suicide shooting will be attributed as a copy-cat of VaTech? This goes on every day. Forget where I heard/saw this, but this kinds of violence occurs virtually daily in war-torn countries. It's too bad the schools will buy into the hype, and will probably further intrude on privacy, prying into library records, on-campus internet browsing, dorm/backpack searches, etc. The first thing the local news channel said after this story was "what is UNM [local uni] going to do to prevent a tragedy like this..." It's crazy that people believe one isolated occurrence will lead to mass anarchy and chaos. Just use your head people![/quote80fdcbb9fc]

the only reason why everyone is hopped up now about security is copycats.. that and people can see the tragic success cho had in his rampage. i remember right after columbine there was a string of about 9 months or so in a row when there was at least one school shooting a month.

egyptianruin

21-04-2007 11:54:02

[quote527dde7daa="Skimboarder"]My school already is looking into metal detectors, because of the VA Tech shootings. They are announcing all kinds of threats and stuff (although none turn out to be true). The world is crazy, but you have to realize that it is worse in other places.[/quote527dde7daa]

My HS had metal detectors like 2 years after I graduated.

J4320

21-04-2007 11:56:26

Yeah some crazy stuff is going on ---

http//www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18203613/

[quote55a349e3ed]Police patrolled public schools in Yuba City and nearby Marysville 40 miles north of state capital Sacramento after Jeffery Thomas Carney allegedly said he intended to make the mass slaying at Virginia Tech “look mild.”[/quote55a349e3ed]

Skimboarder

21-04-2007 12:07:06

Does anybody else think that the media made things worse by playing the killers video. It's just my opinion, but I believe that set the stage for some copycats. All they talked about was how it was the largest school shooting in history. If a twisted kid here's that he may go try and beat that. We had a huge discussion in our class about it all.

ricopet

21-04-2007 12:19:09

Media definitely makes things worse by showing all the negative stuff that happens. You also have to look at the tv shows that show people how to do things. You're right ajasax, violence has been going on for thousands of years and it is so much worse in other countries. That won't ever end, we just need to keep in touch with our sons and daughters and teach right from wrong. Just my 2 cents.

Twon

21-04-2007 12:27:25

[quotebebd27abd3="moviemadnessman"]I tell you, this world is rapidly falling apart.[/quotebebd27abd3]

yup... I fear for what my son will face in his lifetime.

ilanbg

21-04-2007 12:45:53

Every single generation has lamented the degradation of society, for hundreds of years.

Social responsibility will remain as important as ever; and, like always, everyone will contribute to or detract from society's advancement in varying degrees.

moviemadnessman

21-04-2007 12:52:22

I dunno. The world always has its ugly side, with random acts of violence and destruction. I just think it is terrible how a lot of things which would be overlooked normally are put in the paper only when something major has happened.

But, the world goes on.

Tsmith10803

21-04-2007 12:58:44

Both my parents are media, my dad national, and my mom local news and national paper, and they both hate the media. As contradictory as that may seem, they cannot handle the lengths their colleagues will go to to get a story, and the way they will spin a story to get attention for it.

The world may seem bad, but just think of all the good things that don't get reported. The everyday good deed may seem small in the face of some things going on nowadays, but, they add up, and all in all, the world is a place with more good than bad.

moviemadnessman

21-04-2007 13:04:18

I agree, the media does focus on the bad moreso than the good. But that just adds to what I was saying ... they are promoting the problem by focusing on the bad so much.

The world is good ... but at the same time, it is obviously bad enough that the only thing we can find is, well, less than good.

But yes, the media does spin the world and the news in such a way that everything seems bad. It's usually a little funny, but they hype everything up a little too much around a time of big tragedy.

Tsmith10803

21-04-2007 13:46:59

[quote0fdc73b7de="moviemadnessman"]I agree, the media does focus on the bad moreso than the good. But that just adds to what I was saying ... they are promoting the problem by focusing on the bad so much.

The world is good ... but at the same time, it is obviously bad enough that the only thing we can find is, well, less than good.

But yes, the media does spin the world and the news in such a way that everything seems bad. It's usually a little funny, but they hype everything up a little too much around a time of big tragedy.[/quote0fdc73b7de]

Much agreed, but sometimes, the hype is well warranted, like, I can understand why everything I've read and looked at for the past week was the virgina tech shootings

Skimboarder

21-04-2007 14:12:43

I agree completely. I think it would be a much better thing to show the families and friends of those who were lost. This would promote the opposite side of the spectrum and make people realize that these things are horrible and hurt people everywhere.

Wolfeman

21-04-2007 15:28:17

The 24-hour news channels are ruining the world...

Tsmith10803

21-04-2007 15:56:02

[quote72a31fa612="Wolfeman"]The 24-hour news channels are ruining the world...[/quote72a31fa612]

It's not them who are ruining the world, they're just reporting on things that ruin the world.

Wolfeman

21-04-2007 16:02:09

[quote3b3f667fe1="Tsmith10803"][quote3b3f667fe1="Wolfeman"]The 24-hour news channels are ruining the world...[/quote3b3f667fe1]

It's not them who are ruining the world, they're just reporting on things that ruin the world.[/quote3b3f667fe1]
These things have always been around. They glamourize it and give it too much press. People are dying in Iraq and Darfur and tons of other places. We are lucky to be in such a safe place...

Tsmith10803

21-04-2007 16:06:53

[quoteed9c8f250c="Wolfeman"][quoteed9c8f250c="Tsmith10803"][quoteed9c8f250c="Wolfeman"]The 24-hour news channels are ruining the world...[/quoteed9c8f250c]

It's not them who are ruining the world, they're just reporting on things that ruin the world.[/quoteed9c8f250c]
These things have always been around. They glamourize it and give it too much press. People are dying in Iraq and Darfur and tons of other places. We are lucky to be in such a safe place...[/quoteed9c8f250c]
I can't agree with you more, an another forum I frequent, people were bashing me because I said we were lucky to live in such a great country (US)
I honestly couldn't understand it

Wolfeman

21-04-2007 16:26:59

Every place has problems and there are safer countries but with how large the US is, how many people live here, and how incredibly diverse we are, we are a very safe place. I think the media makes people scarred because scarred people watch more news. After 9/11 the news ratings were the highest in history...

Skimboarder

21-04-2007 16:33:21

"Media makes people scarred because scarred people watch more news."

That is a great saying, but I don't think it is completely true. People watch the news for all different reasons and some can look past all the bad stuff. I do agree though that it can definitely effect the weak ones.

doylnea

21-04-2007 18:34:50

[quote12b1e65f83="Skimboarder"]Does anybody else think that the media made things worse by playing the killers video. It's just my opinion, but I believe that set the stage for some copycats. All they talked about was how it was the largest school shooting in history. If a twisted kid here's that he may go try and beat that. We had a huge discussion in our class about it all.[/quote12b1e65f83]

yes, I did, 3 days ago.

http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?p=626767#626767

Bentley

21-04-2007 18:44:18

This is such a good discussion im going to cry