OMFG WHAT DO WE DO?!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=59766

TFOAF

15-04-2007 17:33:45

Shit. Our fucking basement is fucked. Water was seaping in all day on our unfinished side, and now it hass entered out finished side will all the electronics, stereo equipment, computers, tv, video games, other things, carpeting, paneling...IT'S ALL GONE. FOR THE 20 YEARS MY PARENTS HAVE LIVED IN THIS HOUSE...IT'S ALL GONE...THIS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE.

AND FUCK YOU NEW JERSEY FOR NOT HAVING FLOOD INSURANCE?

WHAT THE FUCK are we supposed to do now? (

Our basement is gone...now the water is actually rising from the carpets itself...it's going to go into the paneling......what are we supposed to do now? (

IT'S FUCKING RAINING AND IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO STOP UNTIL FUCKING TUESDAY...BY TOMORROW MORNING WE'LL BE ABLE TO SWIM IN THE FUCKING BASEMENT, BOTH THE FINISHED AND UNFINISHED SIDE...AND NEW JERSEY DOESN'T HAVE A FUCKING FLOOD INSURANCE...WE JUST GOT A NEW TV...THIS IS FUCKING REDICULOUS.

TryinToGetPaid

15-04-2007 17:39:40

Welcome to the life of living in Louisiana. I saw all that crap on TV about the storm and all my friends say the same thing, people up North do not know how to handle a storm. You tell Southerners there is going to be a storm, and nothing changes in their daily routine. Northerners lock the doors and get their canned soup out.

CollidgeGraduit

15-04-2007 17:41:12

[quote9f19fb3587="TryinToGetPaid"]Welcome to the life of living in Louisiana. I saw all that crap on TV about the storm and all my friends say the same thing, people up North do not know how to handle a storm. You tell Southerners there is going to be a storm, and nothing changes in their daily routine. Northerners lock the doors and get their canned soup out.[/quote9f19fb3587]

People in the north handle floods just as well as people in the south handle getting an inch of snow.

dupebag

15-04-2007 17:43:36

[quotecce0ece3af="TryinToGetPaid"]Welcome to the life of living in Louisiana. I saw all that crap on TV about the storm and all my friends say the same thing, people up North do not know how to handle a storm. You tell Southerners there is going to be a storm, and nothing changes in their daily routine. Northerners lock the doors and get their canned soup out.[/quotecce0ece3af]
So you are not going to have any pity what-so-ever? He just lost like half of his things and his house is completely messed up. Im just glad TROAF didnt go on TV and bitch about the president and everything else...just like the people down south...

manOFice

15-04-2007 17:47:19

Try the fire department?

tjwor

15-04-2007 17:48:08

Slow down and dont yell at us...

That does suck, and I feel for ya, but i doubt any of us will know what the fuck you are supposed to do... Is the water from rain? How deep was the water in your basement? More details please?

manOFice

15-04-2007 17:49:09

Our basement flooded once, had like 2 feet of water, we called the fire department and they have pumps and shit like that.

TFOAF

15-04-2007 17:54:14

We'll be able to swim in our basement tomorrow.

manOFice

15-04-2007 17:54:49

[quote07da5b472d="TFOAF"]We'll be able to swim in our basement tomorrow.[/quote07da5b472d]

Fire department

TFOAF

15-04-2007 17:56:30

Okay, now my feet can actually go on the carpet, and water rises about halfway. We're so done. FUCK. cry

CollidgeGraduit

15-04-2007 17:56:34

[quote31e667861e="O4F-Manofice"][quote31e667861e="TFOAF"]We'll be able to swim in our basement tomorrow.[/quote31e667861e]

Fire department[/quote31e667861e]

Swim

TFOAF

15-04-2007 17:56:54

[quoteb1f41de156="O4F-Manofice"][quoteb1f41de156="TFOAF"]We'll be able to swim in our basement tomorrow.[/quoteb1f41de156]

Fire department[/quoteb1f41de156]
Well we don't have two feet of water yet, so my dad said they won't do shit.

CollidgeGraduit

15-04-2007 17:57:17

[quote7829628f9a="TFOAF"]Okay, now my feet can actually go on the carpet, and water rises about halfway. We're so done. FUCK. cry[/quote7829628f9a]

That's a sucky situation, but seriously, has posting about it made the water go down yet?

tjwor

15-04-2007 17:57:21

[quotebe519894b7="TFOAF"]We'll be able to swim in our basement tomorrow.[/quotebe519894b7]

well 1 move everything now, and 2 call someone to stop the leak/ pump the water out... sitting there complaining about how your basement is filling up with water isn't going to do much...

TryinToGetPaid

15-04-2007 18:05:37

Pump the water out?

And I have no pity for anyone unless they are the roof of their house and/or getting shot at.

And @ CG, we had snow/sleet/ice this week, and did you see a post about me freakin' out? Negative.

CollidgeGraduit

15-04-2007 18:07:37

[quote40e590818e="TryinToGetPaid"]And @ CG, we had snow/sleet/ice this week, and did you see a post about me freakin' out? Negative.[/quote40e590818e]

I assumed that since you treated TFOAF as the official spokesman for the north, you were speaking for everyone in the south.

Veek

15-04-2007 18:07:56

[quote53a6c32745="CollidgeGraduit"][quote53a6c32745="TFOAF"]Okay, now my feet can actually go on the carpet, and water rises about halfway. We're so done. FUCK. cry[/quote53a6c32745]

That's a sucky situation, but seriously, has posting about it made the water go down yet?[/quote53a6c32745]

SERIOUSLY.

TryinToGetPaid

15-04-2007 18:08:44

No, but as I said I was watching the news, and they were acting like its the worst storm ever.

michae229

15-04-2007 18:10:05

[quote1c1b5b84b2="TryinToGetPaid"]Pump the water out?

And I have no pity for anyone unless they are the roof of their house and/or getting shot at.

And @ CG, we had snow/sleet/ice this week, and did you see a post about me freakin' out? Negative.[/quote1c1b5b84b2]

stop being an ass hole

and TFOAF move to Texas, no bad weather here except heat mainly Dallas is good hope you can get threw it.

CollidgeGraduit

15-04-2007 18:12:47

[quoted74d547831="TryinToGetPaid"]No, but as I said I was watching the news, and they were acting like its the worst storm ever.[/quoted74d547831]

And I've watched the news, where people in the south were flipping out over snow and sleet. It's nothing negative, obviously nobody's going to handle weather they aren't used to very well, compared to those who are exposed to it more often.

TryinToGetPaid

15-04-2007 18:15:30

Touche.

Though, rain and wind is more common up north, than snow is in the south.

jy3

15-04-2007 18:15:48

this should be covered in your home owners if your parents can prove that it did not occur b/c of sump pump failure. we lost my server earlier this year as well from it but that was b/c of a sump pump failure b/c it was not covered if the sump pump failed

dupebag

15-04-2007 18:16:12

TTGP stop being a dick..look at my post almost near the top...

TryinToGetPaid

15-04-2007 18:17:02

Touche.

Though, rain and wind is more common up north, than snow is in the south.

And what are you talking about? When do the "people of the south" go talking about the President on the news?

bballp6699

15-04-2007 18:18:16

CG what the fuck is wrong with you? You're supposed to be in charge around here. DO SOMETHING!!!!!

manOFice

15-04-2007 18:23:10

Yeah when our basement flooded, we had no sump pump....after the fire department left....me and him installed one a few days later

Godrockdj

15-04-2007 18:29:56

Hey Foafy I understand, we're in the middle of a serious Noreaster right now. Personally our house does not have a basement but I know several people who are having similar problems. I'm sure your parents are handling the situation and doing all that they can. My only advice to you would be to salvage anything you can, obviously remove it from the basement, take it to a dry location or storage space.

TFOAF

15-04-2007 18:37:57

We must've pumped 2,000 gallons of water already. The TV's too heavy to move upstairs...fuck. My dad's freaking out, my mom's freaking out, my sister's crying, my cat's going wtf...I'm in shock...cry

Daggoth

15-04-2007 18:38:32

ehh, I don't know about most people, but when I have a problem that is getting worse as each hour passes by, I don't waste my time posting on a forum, especially when hundreds of dollars worth of goods are being lost.

TFOAF

15-04-2007 18:40:25

I can take somewhat of a bath in my unfinished side...we have a family friend over helping us pump out some water...the carpeting is all ruined...we don't know what to do. My mom called some 800 insurance company, they said they'd call us back, they didn't so my mom called again, and now they're supposed to call us back and maybe send someone. I can go splishly splash on the finished side of the basement...it keeps getting higher and higher...all of our food is down there, everything's fucked.

zdub08

15-04-2007 19:02:08

This might be a "mean" question, but what the hell are you doing on your computer?

tylerc

15-04-2007 19:05:52

I'm wondering the same thing.

GTFO and go get shit out of your basement foafy.

Killer722

15-04-2007 19:09:28

Yeah the storms getting pretty bad, but I didn't realize it was the destructive kind of bad. What part of Jersey are you from anyway?

SpaceMonkey

15-04-2007 19:16:40

[quote8f65bf4225="TFOAF"]I can take somewhat of a bath in my unfinished side...we have a family friend over helping us pump out some water...the carpeting is all ruined...we don't know what to do. My mom called some 800 insurance company, they said they'd call us back, they didn't so my mom called again, and now they're supposed to call us back and maybe send someone. I can go splishly splash on the finished side of the basement...it keeps getting higher and higher...all of our food is down there, everything's fucked.[/quote8f65bf4225]

Yeah....I think you should call the fucking fire department now. shock

Pics?

ffactoryxx

15-04-2007 19:25:16

Im in PA outside of Philly and out basement got whacked about 9 years ago when we had these crazy floods. Nothing as of yet though.

TFOAF

15-04-2007 19:38:40

Family friend came over and put this auto-pumper thing. We brought most of the important stuff upstairs, I helped my father. So right now...it's okay...the carpet is shot though, it's flooded, I think the insurance company can dry it out and do stuff? My dad's afraid about the paneling and whatnot. Anyways, it looks like the flooding is coming to a crawl, though it's not supposed to stop raining until like Wednesday. I'm going to go shower, my feet are freezing, I'm still in shock...night everyone. (

I'm in Bergen County.

I will have pictures eventually.

theysayjump

15-04-2007 19:43:13

So what caused it (besides rain, I mean did it come through the walls, the foundation, holes in the wall etc)? You mention a finished and unfinished side, were you guys doing the work to the basement yourself or did you hire someone to do it.

If the latter, you may have cause to sue the person/company and be compensated for any damages or losses you incurred.

Do you rent or do you own?

ffactoryxx

15-04-2007 19:49:16

Im guessing it just came up through the cracks and the sum. This happened as I said 9 years ago when we had the same kind of rain. BAsically he ground just gets too saturated and the water have no where else to go but up. It sucks and we had to rip up all the carpet but what can you do

ajasax

15-04-2007 20:18:47

The real question is -- what are WE supposed to do? If you wanted a foafy-pity thread, you could have just asked nicely violin

ILoveToys

15-04-2007 20:27:41

Yeah...it sucks and it's a pain, but the solution seems easy...start pumping as much as you can and move the stuff up stairs and wait it out....yeah there is clearly going to be some work afterwords to clean up, but deal w/ that then...

ffactoryxx

15-04-2007 20:28:59

I would also get some of those space heaters and juice up the temp in your basement to dry out after much water as you can once you have it all up. This is key as you dont want it to stay damp and let mildew and that smell set in

Tsmith10803

15-04-2007 20:53:09

[quote5fbc202c97="ajasax"]The real question is -- what are WE supposed to do? If you wanted a foafy-pity thread, you could have just asked nicely violin[/quote5fbc202c97]

You guys suck, right when I read the first post, I went outside and started running, I mean, for christ sakes guys, his TV is down there, and if he is just going to type about it, WE, THE PEOPLE HE WAS TYPING TO, HAVE A CIVIC DUTY TO HELP....I was expecting to see at least CG or TSJ there, but I ran all the way there and nobody was there...You guys suck

Tholek

15-04-2007 21:39:22

[quote029b25ed9a="ffactoryxx"]This is key as you dont want it to stay damp and let mildew and that smell set in[/quote029b25ed9a]

If mushrooms come in, drop me a PM. I have some nice recipes. ;)

Seriously, if you have waterlogged electronics, you might want to try that alcohol trick. It "might" save some things.

ILoveToys

15-04-2007 21:44:29

[quoteba484eebb6="Tholek"]Seriously, if you have waterlogged electronics, you might want to try that alcohol trick. It "might" save some things.[/quoteba484eebb6]

What trick is that exactly?

Kidd

15-04-2007 21:51:40

what alcohol trick

that food emporium sure does have a nice mushroom collection now doesnt it tholek.

Killer722

15-04-2007 21:54:06

[quoted6bc993bef="Tsmith10803"][quoted6bc993bef="ajasax"]The real question is -- what are WE supposed to do? If you wanted a foafy-pity thread, you could have just asked nicely violin[/quoted6bc993bef]

You guys suck, right when I read the first post, I went outside and started running, I mean, for christ sakes guys, his TV is down there, and if he is just going to type about it, WE, THE PEOPLE HE WAS TYPING TO, HAVE A CIVIC DUTY TO HELP....I was expecting to see at least CG or TSJ there, but I ran all the way there and nobody was there...You guys suck[/quoted6bc993bef]
I was totally there. I slapped FOAFY and told him to get his ass off the computer then I left.

Tholek

15-04-2007 21:57:01

[quotecfede57bbc="Kidd"]what alcohol trick

that food emporium sure does have a nice mushroom collection now doesnt it tholek.[/quotecfede57bbc]

Why go that far? I could just forage under the bathroom sink. ;)

The electronics thing has been posted before a few times. Supposedly it has worked (didn't check snopes, though). You pour pure isopropyl (91% being the best you can find) into the TV etc, and the alcohol will wick away the excess water in it.

Rewman

15-04-2007 22:02:36

Sell the house and advertise it as having an indoor pool.

Admin

16-04-2007 00:13:42

[quote759f9b379b="Tholek"]The electronics thing has been posted before a few times. Supposedly it has worked (didn't check snopes, though). You pour pure isopropyl (91% being the best you can find) into the TV etc, and the alcohol will wick away the excess water in it.[/quote759f9b379b]it works pretty well. if you rinse something in iso and then shake it off, most of the remaining liquid will be alcohol which evaporates (albeit rather slowly) at room temperature. so the alcohol (and the small amount of water) evaporates leaving behind a dry and hopefully operational electronic.

fwiw you can find 99% ... i've seen it at walgreens ... you may have to look, though. nothing beats 99%.

Tholek

16-04-2007 02:31:48

[quote26f19aa1bb="Admin"][quote26f19aa1bb="Tholek"]The electronics thing has been posted before a few times. Supposedly it has worked (didn't check snopes, though). You pour pure isopropyl (91% being the best you can find) into the TV etc, and the alcohol will wick away the excess water in it.[/quote26f19aa1bb]

it works pretty well. if you rinse something in iso and then shake it off, most of the remaining liquid will be alcohol which evaporates (albeit rather slowly) at room temperature. so the alcohol (and the small amount of water) evaporates leaving behind a dry and hopefully operational electronic.

fwiw you can find 99% ... i've seen it at walgreens ... you may have to look, though. nothing beats 99%.[/quote26f19aa1bb]

Never seen it, and I've looked for a higher concentration. Maybe it has such a short shelf life that it's not widely stocked? Anyhow, I'm passing a Walgreens today, so I'll look again. Gotta get some Brasso too. Hopefully they have that as well.

freaky1718

16-04-2007 02:44:20

[quote5eaeea139b="Admin"][quote5eaeea139b="Tholek"]The electronics thing has been posted before a few times. Supposedly it has worked (didn't check snopes, though). You pour pure isopropyl (91% being the best you can find) into the TV etc, and the alcohol will wick away the excess water in it.[/quote5eaeea139b]it works pretty well. if you rinse something in iso and then shake it off, most of the remaining liquid will be alcohol which evaporates (albeit rather slowly) at room temperature. so the alcohol (and the small amount of water) evaporates leaving behind a dry and hopefully operational electronic.

fwiw you can find 99% ... i've seen it at walgreens ... you may have to look, though. nothing beats 99%.[/quote5eaeea139b]

i only found 98 at walmart used it for my laptop that had juice it never did work had to buy a new mother board but idk maybe it is just for water and not for liquid based items

TFOAF

16-04-2007 04:23:21

[quoteb79205a7ac="theysayjump"]So what caused it (besides rain, I mean did it come through the walls, the foundation, holes in the wall etc)? You mention a finished and unfinished side, were you guys doing the work to the basement yourself or did you hire someone to do it.

If the latter, you may have cause to sue the person/company and be compensated for any damages or losses you incurred.

Do you rent or do you own?[/quoteb79205a7ac]
We're not sure what caused it, and we weren't doing work in the basement. The unfinished side was "finished", and there's an entire wall and doors blocking it from the finished side. Well, the rain hasn't stopped, I have a delayed opening for school, and my parents just said the basement is saturated. The water finally reached everything on the finished and has risen. Everything's ruined. The carpeting is fucked. We had to get my father's computer and stuff out of there last night. The TV was too heavy...we just got it, and we just finished setting it up, and we couldn't bring it upstairs. We took up what we could. I kept posting on the forum yesterday when there was nothing I could do as my parents and family friend were helping get rid of the water...I was helping.

It's no one's fault that this flood happened. We can't quite sue anyone. We used to get some water on the unfinished side, but there was a drain and we never had this problem. The water was minimal when we got it, and it went away shortly after, it never damaged anything, or even came close to damaging something. Now, last night, and today, water is coming from like all four corners of the unfinished side of the basement, and even though we're pumping @ 150gallons/hour, the water increases in the basement faster than the pump. We definitely pumped well over 3,000 gallons of water last night, by hand, before we got the auto-pumper thing. Apparently that isn't doing much either.

Whatever. The basement's gone. This has never happened for the 20 years my parents have lived in this house. The basement has been the same for 20 years. The unfinished side is where we stored food and drinks, boxes, toys from when my sister and I were babies, books, etc. My sister's piano books got ruined...a lot of things on the finished side were ruined. My mom said that if you walk on the carpet, you sink about 5 inches into it. The couch is sucking up water too. All of the paneling is going to get messed up too. cry

Fuck, I was supposed to have a birthday party, for my 18th birthday with a lot of my friends over at my house in two weeks, looks like that's not happening anymore. cry

Even my neighbors, who have this think built in to prevent floods, are starting to get water in their basement now. There's THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF GALLONS of water in our basement, and that we pumped out. The news said this is the worst rain storm since 125 years ago...it's worse than hurricane Floyd.

I took a lot of pictures, I'll upload them after uh...after school.

Pictures

http//photos-sf2p.pe.facebook.com/v75/232/9/759950166/n759950166_280319_7797.jpg[" alt=""/imgb79205a7ac]
[img="b79205a7ac]http//photos-sf2p.pe.facebook.com/v75/232/9/759950166/n759950166_280320_8089.jpg[" alt=""/imgb79205a7ac]
[img="b79205a7ac]http//photos-sf2p.pe.facebook.com/v75/232/9/759950166/n759950166_280321_8357.jpg[" alt=""/imgb79205a7ac]
[img="b79205a7ac]http//photos-sf2p.pe.facebook.com/v75/232/9/759950166/n759950166_280322_8616.jpg[" alt=""/imgb79205a7ac]
[img="b79205a7ac]http//photos-sf2p.pe.facebook.com/v75/232/9/759950166/n759950166_280323_8879.jpg[" alt=""/imgb79205a7ac]
[img="b79205a7ac]http//photos-sf2p.pe.facebook.com/v75/232/9/759950166/n759950166_280324_9140.jpg[" alt=""/imgb79205a7ac]
[img="b79205a7ac]http//photos-sf2p.pe.facebook.com/v75/232/9/759950166/n759950166_280325_9410.jpg[" alt=""/imgb79205a7ac]
[img="b79205a7ac]http//photos-sf2p.pe.facebook.com/v75/232/9/759950166/n759950166_280326_9677.jpg[" alt=""/imgb79205a7ac]
[img="b79205a7ac]http//photos-sf2p.pe.facebook.com/v75/232/9/759950166/n759950166_280327_9956.jpg[" alt=""/imgb79205a7ac]
[img="b79205a7ac]http//photos-sf2p.pe.facebook.com/v75/232/9/759950166/n759950166_280328_217.jpg[" alt=""/imgb79205a7ac]
[img="b79205a7ac]http//photos-sf2p.pe.facebook.com/v75/232/9/759950166/n759950166_280329_484.jpg[" alt=""/imgb79205a7ac]
[img="b79205a7ac]http//photos-sf2p.pe.facebook.com/v75/232/9/759950166/n759950166_280330_801.jpg[" alt=""/imgb79205a7ac]
[img="b79205a7ac]http//photos-sf2p.pe.facebook.com/v75/232/9/759950166/n759950166_280331_1079.jpg[" alt=""/imgb79205a7ac]
[img="b79205a7ac]http//photos-sf2p.pe.facebook.com/v75/232/9/759950166/n759950166_280332_1365.jpg[" alt=""/imgb79205a7ac]

tinkerjenn

16-04-2007 05:57:01

I hope you and your family get through this ok. My prayers and good thoughts are with you and yours

Jenna

Tsmith10803

16-04-2007 10:34:29

while I think we all feel for you, it isn't that bad. My friends house got over 3 feet in his basement, we were hip deep

egyptianruin

16-04-2007 11:41:51

Im sorry your basement flooded. Your home owners insurance doesnt cover this? I know my neighbors house flooded when I lived with my parents and they live in a row home so the water started coming into their house too under the wall (it was from the washing machine malfunction kept pushing out water and overflowing) but he got a lot of money back for damaged electronics etc. I would ask neighbors and friends to help you move your electronics out of there so the damage is just to the basement itself and not your personal property.

TFOAF

16-04-2007 12:27:26

Well, I'm home from school now, and even though the rain has stopped, water's still coming in. If our family friend didn't come with his auto-pumper, my mom said we would've had to evacuate the house.

There's no way to fix the carpet, right? Like, water is underneath it, we'll have to get a new one? And the paneling on the walls is going to get messed up too...I don't wanna see a different basement, lol. Damn, now my birthday's ruined too. ( And I don't think any insurance covers this, because my mom's been on the phone with insurance people all day, and they are making it seem they don't cover any of this...as it is my parents have not-such-good-pay jobs.

Tsmith10803

16-04-2007 12:33:37

You'll have to tear out the carpets and get new carpeting, also, depending on how high the water got, you'll have to repanel and put up new sheetrock.

dmorris68

16-04-2007 12:52:16

A lot of homeowners policies won't cover natural (i.e. from rain) flooding. That's why most mortgage companies require you to carry separate federal flood insurance if you live in a flood plain.

This was also the source of a lot of insurance problems with Katrina and other such coastal storms. The insurance companies try to claim the damage is due to flooding and thus not covered, while others argue that the actual culprit was wind which pushed the storm surge onto land. Some court judgments have actually held the insurance companies responsible, but in this case it's a simple rainstorm and thus not going to be protected.

You don't really have much water so I don't see it causing damage to items up off the floor, but it the water continues to rise, then get the electronics out, stat. The basement can continue to flood for some time after the rain stops, since the rising water table will take some time to recede. Saying the TV is too heavy to move just doesn't cut it -- you got it down there, you can get it out. Get some help and get everything of value out of there that can be moved, because you're already looking at wall & floor damage. Totally saturated carpet generally cannot be salvaged or dried out before mold sets in. A flood recovery service can be contracted to try to dry out as much as possible, but they're going to be swamped (no pun intended) as soon as the weather breaks and if you don't get it quick it'll be a total loss. And if doesn't dry out ASAP, you get mold... which is a disaster itself and requires many tens of thousands of dollars (and usually evacuation for a few weeks) to remediate.

A couple years ago our refrigerator developed a leak on the high pressure side of the icemaker/water dispenser side of the valve. Because it drained down behind the wall and under the floor of the next room (which is closed off and seldom used), instead of pouring out on top of the floor, it went undetected for 2-3 weeks. By the time it was found, the subfloor and floor covering in 3 rooms (one hardwood, one carpet, one ceramic tile) was ruined. Because a spot of mold the size of a pencil eraser was found, the recovery crew had to immediately stop work and demand the insurance adjuster bring in a mold remediation crew. By the time it was over and the flooring plus some sheetrock was replaced, and the walls repainted, that $30 refrigerator part had caused over $26,000 in damage. Thankfully insurance paid for it.

TFOAF

16-04-2007 13:00:35

So um...it's still soaking wet...we don't...have insurance that would cover flooding, it's been soaking for almost 24 hours. What are we supposed to about the mold now? I guess I'll tell my parents about it, although they probably know, but it can't be dried yet because water keeps coming in and won't stop for a while. (

[quoteb44585a2e7="tinkerjenn"]I hope you and your family get through this ok. My prayers and good thoughts are with you and yours

Jenna[/quoteb44585a2e7]
Thank you.

tylerc

16-04-2007 14:04:24

Nothing personal, but with the shooting at Virginia Tech, maybe that will shed some light and make this seem rather minuscule in comparison.

Yeah, your shit is messed up, but you're alive.

Tsmith10803

16-04-2007 17:28:10

[quote80240e2607="tylerc"]Nothing personal, but with the shooting at Virginia Tech, maybe that will shed some light and make this seem rather minuscule in comparison.

Yeah, your shit is messed up, but you're alive.[/quote80240e2607]

amen...a ton of shit like this happen to people every day, but in comparison to something that big, the vtech shootings...you really cannot complain. Like after 9/11, anything that happened a few months after that, I was just happy that me and my family and our loved ones were all still alive and together.

zdub08

16-04-2007 17:38:49

why aren't you moving your tv and furniture (and all that other stuff) out of the water?

Tholek

16-04-2007 17:59:39

You sure do like your beverages. ;)

Good luck with salvaging what you can.

ilanbg

16-04-2007 18:07:11

Sigh...

manOFice

16-04-2007 18:07:58

Get a Shop/Wet Vack going, suck that shit up

TFOAF

16-04-2007 19:09:52

[quote937f213c82="zdub08"]why aren't you moving your tv and furniture (and all that other stuff) out of the water?[/quote937f213c82]
Too heavy, we can't do that by ourselves. I'm calling my best friend and his father tomorrow, they're strong, whether my dad likes it or not. He's complaining the furniture is sucking in the water and cracking, so I told him what's wrong with him, and why he doesn't want me to call for help...my friend and his dad offered help. Whatever, tomorrow I'll call.

[quote937f213c82="O4F-Manofice"]Get a Shop/Wet Vack going, suck that shit up[/quote937f213c82]
We've had one running the entire last night, and tonight as well, over 24 hours, over 3,600 gallons of water pumped out. [b937f213c82]It keeps flowing in.[/b937f213c82]

TFOAF

17-04-2007 15:05:51

Okay well, it's been over 44 hours, and we've had an auto-pumper running for that long, pumping water out at 150 gallons/hour. (Our family friends let us borrow it. If they didn't we would've been evacuated from our house, because the water would be on the main level, if not, higher.) That comes to about 6,600 gallons of water pumped out so far as water comes in...and water comes in faster than it's pumping. We're still getting water almost two days later. Our basement is destroyed. We have to get new carpeting, maybe even new paneling. Tons of things that we had saved, that my mom saved, got ruined and destroyed. I'm still in shock, my dad's pissed off, my mom's crying.

Also, my neighbor, who has a finished basement like us; they have a sump pump which prevents water from getting in. There's so much water, they're getting water in their basement now and their carpet is getting ruined. We're all screwed.

Insurance won't cover a damn thing.

tylerc

17-04-2007 16:30:36

Again, at least you are alive. This is minuscule compared to the shooting at Virginia Tech.

Tsmith10803

17-04-2007 17:24:46

exactly, as blunt and mean as this may sound.

It sucks your shits messed up. Stop bitching about it, as it affects thousands of people in the northeast right now. You're all alive and well, if you're still bitching about it, then you need to rethink your priorities.

justinag06

17-04-2007 17:35:08

I hope your house, and family are all right after it all Craig. Let us know when you are in the clear.

TFOAF

06-06-2007 13:29:17

Gahh...(

So we had some guy come and give us an estimate. First of all, we had over $12,000 in damage to the basement, and insurance only paid for the removal of the carpet. We got a $500 check from FEMA, and that's it.

The estimator told us it's going to cost us $8,000 just to waterproof the basement. So basically...$12,000 (to replace carpet, paneling, ceiling, furniture, couch, etc.) + $8,000 (waterproof) = $20,000 total, which we have to pay ourselves. Yup, we're screwed. Don'tcha just love insurance? It's not the insurance people's problem, it's the area we live in...we can't have flood insurance because we don't live in a flood zone.

--Side note about insurance--

Years ago, my neighbors behind us had a tree cutting service cut down a tree for them. Now, we had a swing set in the backyard, and there was a fence (not large), there too. So the people who cut the tree down, decided it was easier for them to move the tree from our neighbors' backyard through our fence, and our backyard, to their truck. The cutters move the tree through the fence, (making a big gap in it, destroying it), and decided that the swing set was in their way. They cut the steaks off of our swing set, moved the swing set to the other side of our yard, and moved the tree. Then they moved the swing set back, and put the steaks back, but that's dangerous because the steaks are cut off now. My mom made them sign this thing that admitting to what they did, and the guy never called us or whatever like he said he would. My mom should've taken them to court, but didn't. Anyways, insurance covered the swing set, but then dropped our policy. The reason for dropping our policy? "You filed a claim." Bull.

manOFice

06-06-2007 13:32:13

Get better insurance

tylerc

06-06-2007 13:50:45

No kidding, State Farm FTW!

Gooogler

06-06-2007 14:04:45

[quote0258c08159="TFOAF"]
http//photos-sf2p.pe.facebook.com/v75/232/9/759950166/n759950166_280321_8357.jpg[" alt=""/img0258c08159]
[/quote0258c08159]

That TV [i0258c08159]does[/i0258c08159] look nice, wouldn't want to lose that gem.

TFOAF

06-06-2007 14:31:43

Googler, that's not the TV I was talking about.

This was
http//photos-sf2p.pe.facebook.com/v75/232/9/759950166/n759950166_280329_484.jpg[" alt=""/imgd1c06f1e10]

EatChex89

06-06-2007 15:20:48

I thought it took at least 3 feet of water to swim.

zr2152

06-06-2007 15:24:29

[quote6f881327bd="EatChex89"]I thought it took at least 3 feet of water to swim.[/quote6f881327bd]

I think its 4

doylnea

06-06-2007 16:22:31

[quote07f7fc570c="Gooogler"][quote07f7fc570c="TFOAF"]
snip[" alt=""/img]
[/quote07f7fc570c]

That TV [i07f7fc570c]does[/i07f7fc570c] look nice, wouldn't want to lose that gem.[/quote07f7fc570c]

Don't be a dick. I'm too exhausted to temp-ban you. I'm sure someone else has the energy though.

Gooogler

06-06-2007 16:29:36

I'm kidding....

How's it coming Foafy? You guys gonna go through with the $20,000 repair? You could do a lot of that on your own (carpet, drywall) depends on if your parents know what they are doing or not though... that's a bummer (

TFOAF

06-06-2007 16:36:04

Waterproof as in install a sumppump and french drain, and I think that requires ripping down some walls and redoing the piping. We don't know how we're going to afford it, be we have to do it...there's not much living space. ?

Big War Bird

06-06-2007 16:47:29

You should be able to the cosmetique repairs yourself. Putting in new carpeting, paneling, drywall, paint, and electrical work isnt that hard.

Tholek

06-06-2007 17:18:39

You're spending money on a new overpowered laptop, when this is still unpaid?

Priorities...

TFOAF

06-06-2007 17:23:33

^ College Expense. ;)

ruby tuesday

06-06-2007 17:36:42

How valuable were your things when you didn't decide to move them out of the water???? Seems to me that if they are worth enough to you to post such a heated message you probably could have moved your electronics, t.v. and such to higher ground. And as for the rest. IT"S FIXABLE.... Not alot of fun, but FIXABLE. Everything short of death is fixable.....

TFOAF

06-06-2007 17:48:23

^ We moved the electronics and TV and everything we could salvage. Some furniture was destroyed...and the basement was destroyed which was $12,000 total.

jdizzle314

06-06-2007 18:45:58

Tuff...B

sandra habina

06-06-2007 22:33:05

wow - I do feel for you and your family. That really sucks - but at least you guys are okay. Good luck.