event planning?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=57958

Jenncherry99

27-03-2007 11:30:00

So my friend and I have been talking, and we want to start an event planning business...any ideas or advice?

jadem

27-03-2007 11:32:47

I'll pray for you.......... lol

After planning my wedding, I vowed to not be an event planner, EVER!

As for advice...make sure you can get great deals with companies that your clients couldn't get without going through you. Why hire an event planner when you can get those same discounts?

Good luck!!!!!!

manOFice

27-03-2007 11:34:00

Event planners seems like a lot of fun, I always thought my wife would be an amazing wedding planner. What type of events are you thinking about? I googled "event planning business" and found tons of articles on the subject.

Jenncherry99

27-03-2007 11:43:13

Yeah I've been googling trying to research it as well. We have just been thikning about it, but haven't sat down to talk about all the details...I would like to do more of the parties side of it, the more fun stuff, instead of the boring business meeting side of it.

For now we are just researching finding out everything we can...figuring out the best way to make this work.

manOFice

27-03-2007 11:45:29

[quote7d3d29ed2e="Jenncherry99"]Yeah I've been googling trying to research it as well. We have just been thikning about it, but haven't sat down to talk about all the details...I would like to do more of the parties side of it, the more fun stuff, instead of the boring business meeting side of it.

For now we are just researching finding out everything we can...figuring out the best way to make this work.[/quote7d3d29ed2e]

I think being a wedding planner would be cool for women...if you like stress but a very rewarding feeling in the end. I guess you have to basically have to know what type of "parties" you want to do. Then get vendors in line for every aspect of the biz, and then advertise like crazy.

Jenncherry99

27-03-2007 12:01:35

YEah we definitely need to get everything figured out if we are going to do this...I am just really excited about it and can't stop thinking about...just wanted to see if anyone knew anything or had tips.

Hopefully it all works out (keep your fingers crossed for me!)

gmario

27-03-2007 12:13:37

How do you open your own business? Is something I'm looking forward in the next few years.

Jenncherry99

27-03-2007 12:15:44

That is also what I am researching because with a business comes insurance, permits, things like that.

gmario

27-03-2007 12:18:56

Yea well that's what i want to know too ( since i got some big ideas for me and my friends after we get out of school 8)

good2speed

27-03-2007 12:24:56

[quoted808ebe2fb="gmario"]How do you open your own business? Is something I'm looking forward in the next few years.[/quoted808ebe2fb]

wow you guys have a long way to go since opening a business is very easy compared to making a business opp succesful.

Some major points
1) if starting your research or exploring possibilities for a new business venture never, and I mean never, come to FIPG.com(unless your planning a freebie site). Why do you want advice from college/hs kids when you should be asking the advice of more trained and experienced vets of the industry.

2) since your here.. Do cost analysis before you even start. You will need to budget and allocate time and money accordingly. Make sure you have cash assets available when starting a business. You need to calculate a ROI (return on investment) and then manage accordingly.

You sound like you're at an infancy level at this whole idea. My best solution is to visit event planners and try to see how they operate. Also I'm almost positive there are websites dedicated to this type of thing. Just search and look around.

Jenncherry99

27-03-2007 12:30:08

[quotefab112a0cb="good2speed"][quotefab112a0cb="gmario"]How do you open your own business? Is something I'm looking forward in the next few years.[/quotefab112a0cb]

wow you guys have a long way to go since opening a business is very easy compared to making a business opp succesful.

Some major points
1) if starting your research or exploring possibilities for a new business venture never, and I mean never, come to FIPG.com(unless your planning a freebie site). Why do you want advice from college/hs kids when you should be asking the advice of more trained and experienced vets of the industry.

2) since your here.. Do cost analysis before you even start. You will need to budget and allocate time and money accordingly. Make sure you have cash assets available when starting a business. You need to calculate a ROI (return on investment) and then manage accordingly.

You sound like you're at an infancy level at this whole idea. My best solution is to visit event planners and try to see how they operate. Also I'm almost positive there are websites dedicated to this type of thing. Just search and look around.[/quotefab112a0cb]

Yes it is definitely still in the infanfcy level, very much so. I guess I didn't think about most of the people here being hs/college (even though I am college myself)...just thought I would ask opinions, more information can't hurt.

gmario

27-03-2007 12:30:38

Well hopefully by that time i'll have all the info i need 8)

egyptianruin

27-03-2007 14:35:25

[quote381b77513e="Jenncherry99"]That is also what I am researching because with a business comes insurance, permits, things like that.[/quote381b77513e]

Yeah you will need a liscense and start to develop relationships with various vendors, I would start a vendor book of the various types of vendors that might be required and contacting them. I loved planning my wedding! It was fun but I dont think I could do it for other people. Also you get some perks being a woman business owner! wink

booklover1104

27-03-2007 21:57:56

Weddings will definitely be your biggest $$ maker in event planning because people only do that, say...3 or 4 times in their lives (wink ), so they don't mind spending lots of money on it.
What I would really like to see more of is a place to host birthday parties. I do realize that as a 28 yr old mother of 2, I am ANCIENT to the majority of users on this site and my perspective is a "bit" different from most. But, AS that Mother of 2 small children I can tell you that I would pay big $$ twice a year, every damn year for a nice place to stage my sons' birthday parties. Chuckie Cheese gets old and I'm loathe to bring 12 6 yr olds into my home and be responsible for the unthinkable chaos that inevitably ensues. The park is a decent choice, but the weather has to cooperate too.

I've just often thought I'd love to have some more options in this area and I don't believe I'm the only Mom that feels this way. I have NO desire to run such a business ( lol ), but if you DID add this service to your list, I'd be willing to bet you'd cash out!

(Hell, open it in FL...I'll give you MY $$)

Godrockdj

28-03-2007 06:45:18

I'll pray for you.......... lol

After planning my wedding, I vowed to not be an event planner, EVER!

/quote]

I AGREE WITH THIS COMMENT !

manOFice

28-03-2007 07:27:35

My wife planned our whole wedding...she did an amazing job...very original things at my wedding. We had a butterfly release by all of the groomsmen and maids of honors. It was real nice, another orginal thing was the flower girls wore these nice fairy wings which made them look like angels ) Me being man don't want to sound corny but my wedding was very nice ) All out door