Anyone get a full paint touch up job on their car?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=57929

JJPRO11

26-03-2007 22:30:58

i recently got a nice 8" long scratch on the side of my car thanks to my poor decision. cry so i have to go and get it fixed up. i've also got some other white scrapes along the bottom of my front and back bumpers and side skirts and one or two small scratches on the body of the car. most were already there when i bought the car since it was used. it came with a body kit on it, so it is lower to the ground and thus gets nicked up a bit easier.

i would just like to go ahead and have them fix up all the scrapes on my car along with the 8" scratch. anyone ever get this kind of job done for their car or are familiar with full touch up jobs? i know it's a bit up there, but what kind of price am i looking at? i dont want a full repaint or anything like that, i just want all the annoying nicks fixed. keep in mind the body kit with most of the scratches is made up of an Aero-Flex ABS composite plastic material, so fixing it up is a bit different.

doylnea

27-03-2007 11:34:34

How deep is the scratch on the side? If you drag your fingernail over it, does your nail snag on it? If the nail snags, then you're going to have to have the panel painted. If it's a surface scratch you may be able to work it out with polishing compound, and a Porter Cable RAB.

Here's a great article about using a PC http//www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-pc7424.html

gmario

27-03-2007 11:39:55

It all really depends where you go my friends dad has a body shop and from what your saying right now doesn't sound to difficult just need to sand it down and re paint it, now if it was a full paint job your looking at over 1,400 depending on where you go and the type of paint.

JJPRO11

27-03-2007 14:39:02

[quote0667d1a4c4="doylnea"]How deep is the scratch on the side? If you drag your fingernail over it, does your nail snag on it? If the nail snags, then you're going to have to have the panel painted. If it's a surface scratch you may be able to work it out with polishing compound, and a Porter Cable RAB.

Here's a great article about using a PC http//www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-pc7424.html[/quote0667d1a4c4]

naw, its more of a scrape.. i brushed it against the garage door. i was in a hurry and just wasnt thinking. im definitely not going to do this by myself either. id rather just pay the extra fee and have it done by a professional.. i've seen some of my friends so called "touch up" jobs lol. hardly any paint is needed for this job since its only minor scratches and scrapes. so its not a big job either, just an accumulation of typical scratches people get that i want all fixed at once.

JJPRO11

27-03-2007 14:42:28

[quoteab03aa6dd2="gmario"]It all really depends where you go my friends dad has a body shop and from what your saying right now doesn't sound to difficult just need to sand it down and re paint it, now if it was a full paint job your looking at over 1,400 depending on where you go and the type of paint.[/quoteab03aa6dd2]

are you by any chance familiar with 3M paint protection film?
http//www.autopaintguard.com/

doylnea

27-03-2007 15:59:35

[quote81c35e1f94="JJPRO11"][quote81c35e1f94="gmario"]It all really depends where you go my friends dad has a body shop and from what your saying right now doesn't sound to difficult just need to sand it down and re paint it, now if it was a full paint job your looking at over 1,400 depending on where you go and the type of paint.[/quote81c35e1f94]

are you by any chance familiar with 3M paint protection film?
http//www.autopaintguard.com/[/quote81c35e1f94]

A friend has it on his IS300 and loves it.

secondjob

27-03-2007 16:55:10

my brother-in-law owns a car touch up business, he fixes scratches like you are talking about. He doesn't repaint the whole car, just the scratches. I know what he does is a lot cheaper than having the car repainted and it looks good on the cars that I have seen him do. I can't even tell where the damage is after he touches them up. I know there are people like him all over the country, because they go to a trade school to learn how to do this and then they get most of their business through used car lots.

dmorris68

27-03-2007 17:05:27

I takes a lot more paint that you'd think, at least to do the job right. You have to blend over a wide area around the scratch, otherwise you won't get a good match. Depending on scratch size and location, you'd be better off just sanding and painting the entire panel as doylnea said.

Auto paint is terribly expensive, especially the factory stuff. A quart of the stuff can run into the hundreds, and I've heard of some specialty paints running well over a thousand (per quart or gallon, I don't recall which). On the other hand there's lots of cheap $39/gallon type paints out there, it's just a matter of quality.

JJPRO11

27-03-2007 17:58:10

[quote79240c4da3="secondjob"]my brother-in-law owns a car touch up business, he fixes scratches like you are talking about. He doesn't repaint the whole car, just the scratches. I know what he does is a lot cheaper than having the car repainted and it looks good on the cars that I have seen him do. I can't even tell where the damage is after he touches them up. I know there are people like him all over the country, because they go to a trade school to learn how to do this and then they get most of their business through used car lots.[/quote79240c4da3]

thats what i need.. i just dont want to go to one of these places looking clueless, since as of now, i know really nothing about this kind of thing... do i have to get the paint myself? what kind of price range should i be looking at from them for some minor scratches?

and about the 3m film.. did your friend say how much that costs including installation? i know its rather expensive, and im not sure if its worth putting on a 03 monte carlo compared to the exotic and high-end luxury cars i usually see with it on.

secondjob

27-03-2007 18:23:15

it really depends on if he has the paint, on whether or not you have to buy it. Depending on how many scratches, it could range anywhere between $100 to $500. He usually has to look at the car to determine the labor and the costs to fix it to be able to quote a price. Where are you from? But then agian, I am not really sure how much he charges.

JJPRO11

27-03-2007 18:31:44

[quote3346630df9="secondjob"]it really depends on if he has the paint, on whether or not you have to buy it. Depending on how many scratches, it could range anywhere between $100 to $500. He usually has to look at the car to determine the labor and the costs to fix it to be able to quote a price. Where are you from? But then agian, I am not really sure how much he charges.[/quote3346630df9]

thats what i figured.. ohio.

secondjob

27-03-2007 18:36:24

I guess you could google dentless car repair and see what the turns up. Sorry my brother-in-law lives in Missouri.

JJPRO11

27-03-2007 18:52:13

[quote563b318126="secondjob"]I guess you could google dentless car repair and see what the turns up. Sorry my brother-in-law lives in Missouri.[/quote563b318126]

yeah i've been looking up on it.. most require in-person quotes though.