Archery?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=57778

tml09

25-03-2007 16:45:15

Is any one here into archery? Im looking to get into it. I dont want one of those fancy bows with mechanical pulleys and stuff like that, but I want a tradtional one, made of wood with a string (-)). I have an estimated draw length of 29.5 inches and would like the bow to be at least 40 pounds in draw length. Any recommendations?

Tholek

25-03-2007 17:49:06

Funny, I always wanted to get into it, but it's not too popular in the big city for some reason. )

Godrockdj

25-03-2007 19:19:29

Hey awesome, I love archery. Both the traditional and the compound bows are fun to me. I would recommend looking for a local crafter that builds the bows personally so that you can look at his stock and discuss options with them. Have you ever heard of the SCA? It's a national organization for, basically, geeks who like to recreate the middle ages. Most of the local cell groups have archery practices

dmorris68

25-03-2007 20:41:24

I used to shoot an awful lot, and I bowhunted for many years. Since military service, then job and family, changed my priorities on leisure time I pretty much gave up all hunting, but still have a lot of my gear in the attic. I still have my last compound bow, a Bear Magnum Hunter, with 70# draw weight and 35% letoff. One of the first elliptical cam compounds. It was sweet and quite powerful in its day, but has been eclipsed I'm sure by the modern high-tech bows.

It is a lot of fun. I used to compete in both local bullseye tournaments as well as some hunting-related competitions, where you stalk through the woods and shoot at decoys.

I was never much into recurves and longbows though, I preferred the engineering and handling of compound bows.

Tholek

25-03-2007 20:42:58

Is it still an olympic sport?

I don't remember seeing it on TV in a long time. That's when I thought it was cool.

ilanbg

25-03-2007 20:46:26

I remember seeing some competition where the target was a hole so small it would sheer the feathers off of the arrow when it passed through it. It was simply amazing; I'd have enough trouble shooting the arrow into a hole that small from even just a few feet away, but the target seemed to be at least a dozen meters away.

Tholek

25-03-2007 20:54:43

There's a joke there, but I've gone too far already tonight.

tml09

26-03-2007 13:28:41

[quotea5db4788ff="Godrockdj"]Hey awesome, I love archery. Both the traditional and the compound bows are fun to me. I would recommend looking for a local crafter that builds the bows personally so that you can look at his stock and discuss options with them. Have you ever heard of the SCA? It's a national organization for, basically, geeks who like to recreate the middle ages. Most of the local cell groups have archery practices[/quotea5db4788ff]

lol, i dont wanna go that far. Ill probably look for a bowyer around here.

Godrockdj

26-03-2007 14:40:03

[quote95ef344813="Tholek"]Is it still an olympic sport?

I don't remember seeing it on TV in a long time. That's when I thought it was cool.[/quote95ef344813]

Yes it is still an Olympic sport. Geena Davis is apparently very good and actually tried out for the team but didn't make it. That, her being in Mensa, her great acting abilities, and overall nice personality make her the closest thing I have to an 'idol' in a person. Besides Jesus Christ of course wink

Killer722

26-03-2007 16:46:11

This is insane

http//youtube.com/watch?v=KrQE58cfDOw