Student gets caught cheating online

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=56779

kidd2108

14-03-2007 19:32:23

It all starts here(no need to read every post...just read the OP's updates and the professor and snitches post)

http//www.seatstaysup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6897&page=1&pp=10

Heres what happens if you dont want to read it all

-Pretty much the guy posts online asking for help on a project and he'll pay $50.

-some other guy notices the post, and snitches him out.

-professor posts a few posts after the OP and the kid surely gets owned in class.

-The snitch reveals himself and his myspace is found and posted.

-The OP gets an F for the course, but doesnt get suspended.

I think if he wouldnt have posted the whole assignment word for word including the name of the professor and email address he wouldnt have gotten caught. lol

GiftOrb

14-03-2007 19:35:19

Wow, I bet whoever snitched will get hated on.

Jenncherry99

14-03-2007 19:42:30

who's gonna snitch...some kid that is sooo mad he didn't think of posting it for help first? That is sooooooo DUMB!!

jy3

14-03-2007 19:44:02

[quoted89eda9992="Jenncherry99"]who's gonna snitch...some kid that is sooo mad he didn't think of posting it for help first? That is sooooooo DUMB!![/quoted89eda9992]

not saying that snitching is right, but definitely saying that cheating is wrong. shock

Offer4All

14-03-2007 19:44:25

It is good that the guy got caught, but getting caught because someone snitched is just wrooong. cry

Jenncherry99

14-03-2007 19:46:41

I agree cheating is wrong...but snitching is too. I also agree it was dumb of the kid to post the assignment word for word, he deserved to get caught for that.

givmea1032

14-03-2007 19:54:51

snitchin' can get you killed in the real world. But he was stupid for too much detail in his post.

theysayjump

14-03-2007 19:57:57

What the fuck is wrong with snitching (seriously)?

It shows that some people have a shred of decency in them for wanting to do the right thing or to stand up when people like this are abusing the system.

I would've snitched too, because why should everyone else in the class have to work hard to get what they need and he shouldn't?

kidd2108

14-03-2007 19:59:54

According to the OP...6 more people got caught for copying the project off each other. Hold on...I'll try and find the post.

edit.

Post #356

[quote28c075e0b5]The results are in.....

I'm not getting expelled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's hard to be so happy about something that sucks so much, but I am! My total punishment entails recieving an F in the course and having a
paper put in my record that says I got an punative F in the course, I didn't fail it. No punishment commity or anything like that. I'm pretty damn excited.

Another thing that's pretty crazy is that 6 others in our class got busted on this same project for copying each other's code. Now it's their turn to get owned by JGaudry.[/quote28c075e0b5]

BTW, heres the teacher

http//www.seatstaysup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=113867&postcount=9

The snitch
http//www.seatstaysup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=115287&postcount=189

givmea1032

14-03-2007 20:03:22

[quote645d7de109="theysayjump"]What the fuck is wrong with snitching (seriously)?

It shows that some people have a shred of decency in them for wanting to do the right thing or to stand up when people like this are abusing the system.

I would've snitched too, because why should everyone else in the class have to work hard to get what they need and he shouldn't?[/quote645d7de109]

Nothing, I like snitches. They can be helpful. As long as they don't snitch on me. And yeah, if I was in the class and busted my ass to get it done, just to know this guy paid someone 50 bucks.....

Offer4All

14-03-2007 20:08:56

[quote3badc0d081="theysayjump"]What the fuck is wrong with snitching (seriously)?

I would've snitched too, because why should everyone else in the class have to work hard to get what they need and he shouldn't?[/quote3badc0d081]

Snitching is not necessarily a bad things but considering the severity of the issue it might not have being the best decision. It might have been better for the snitcher to talk to the person rather than ruin his life. This guy was lucky though since he was not expelled.

coolvaughan

14-03-2007 20:35:02

I would allow someone to kill me before I ever snitched on anyone, even if I hated the guy.

I was kicked off a school sponsored spring break trip to India that I payed for by working at Taco Bell and basically told that I could no longer attend any high school in my county because some freshman snitched on me.

There is never an excuse to break the trust of another person.

dmorris68

14-03-2007 21:03:55

[quote3de060f446="coolvaughan"]I would allow someone to kill me before I ever snitched on anyone, even if I hated the guy.

I was kicked off a school sponsored spring break trip to India that I payed for by working at Taco Bell and basically told that I could no longer attend any high school in my county because some freshman snitched on me.

There is never an excuse to break the trust of another person.[/quote3de060f446]
Ahhh, to be so young and idealistic again... lol

That exact mentality is what fosters poor behavior and irresponsibility. Instead of taking responsibility for whatever you did wrong to get in trouble at school, you blame the snitch?!

You'll learn when you grow up that there's a time and a place for blowing the whistle. Not saying it should be a regular habit or anything, or that you should go out of your way to find out peoples' business so you can narc on them, but when you need to do it... you need to do it. Trust me, let something terrible happen to someone that could have been prevented had you stepped up, and let's see how you sleep at night.

theysayjump

14-03-2007 21:04:56

[quote7ef0eb55bc="coolvaughan"]I would allow someone to kill me before I ever snitched on anyone, even if I hated the guy.

There is never an excuse to break the trust of another person.[/quote7ef0eb55bc]

I can think of various different reasons.

Also, what were you snitched on about?

If someone has to snitch on a person, then the person must be doing something wrong, no?

JJPRO11

14-03-2007 21:41:29

i dont like snitching unless its something serious and has to do with the safety and well-being of others.. the kid cheating is only going to hurt himself for the future.. you cant get by on life cheating, it will eventually catch up with you. as for the snitch, he will have to deal with people second guessing his every move. word travels fast and im sure everyone in the school has heard about it. i sure as hell wouldnt want that rep just to see one kid get in trouble, when in reality there are 1000s of others doing the same thing in college.

JJPRO11

14-03-2007 21:54:27

i'll be damned.. the teacher is a pretty decent milf as well.
http//www.unf.edu/~jgaudry/Personal/

good2speed

15-03-2007 07:42:52

[quote5163946a3b="JJPRO11"]i'll be damned.. the teacher is a pretty decent milf as well.
http//www.unf.edu/~jgaudry/Personal/[/quote5163946a3b]

just threw up in my mouth...

Armstrong

15-03-2007 07:44:43

we used to do this all the time...damn myspace ruins everything

TFOAF

15-03-2007 11:17:28

Ahahahah. That's so pethetic. I don't understand why students are so stupid sometimes. That's so stupid, unethical...like, what the fuck is wrong with students these days...why would they fucking...whatever. This is total bullshit. LOL, students these days, -_-

Offer4All

15-03-2007 11:23:17

Students have been cheating their way through school and it is never going to stop. Everybody in hear have cheated in high school. College students are too afraid to cheat, so there is little cheating in the universities. But no one can honestly say that they have never cheated.

TryinToGetPaid

15-03-2007 11:27:48

I cheated, in 7th grade.

Louisiana History, taught by the football coach who was super mean.

I cheated on the parish test (we have parishes not counties). He found out, and made me wait over Easter Break to tell me what he was going to do.

That Monday came around, told me to go out in the hall and slammed the door and said

"Son, you are smarter than I am, hell you probably could teach this class. So uhh...I am going to let you keep the grade. Now go back inside with a sad look on your face!"

I got a 100 and everyone thought I ended up with a 0.

ajasax

15-03-2007 11:44:33

Another Microsoft programmer in the making roll

jadem

15-03-2007 11:53:18

Ok, I skimmed the entire thing and it seems there isn't a 100% certainty that the myspace is linked to the actual snitch.

I would have snitched on him too.

Shit, I used to be a lab TA for an intro to C class and there was a student who never came to lab, but always managed to turn in his assignment electronically from home.

That was OK, until the second lab where he obviously copied and pasted the code three times...from another student!!! How did I know? He only changed the header information at the top...not in the other places that still had the other student's name. You'd think he would have compiled the damn thing to see if it would work (it didn't compile). Needless to say, I talked to the instructor.

The funniest thing...I was the TA he handed his final exam into...which is odd since all the sections took the final at the same time and I [b72a5ef6701]volunteered[/b72a5ef6701] to proctor it (having never stepped foot into class, there was no way for him to know it was me). / I handed it in to the instructor and said, "Look who's exam I got!" and we laughed.

Cheating in programming courses is HUGE, so it's no surprise that 6 others in the OPs class cheated as well.

Gigante

15-03-2007 11:58:06

[quote342445e112="Offer4All"]Students have been cheating their way through school and it is never going to stop. Everybody in hear have cheated in high school. College students are too afraid to cheat, so there is little cheating in the universities. But no one can honestly say that they have never cheated.[/quote342445e112]

You can't take your morals and apply them to everyone and assume everybody lacks the same morals you lack.

Some people enjoy the thrill of academics and the challenges presented by it.

Cheating is becoming too rampant in schools. When I was in HS, my last two years both valedictorians were rampant cheaters. Cheating gets you nowhere in the business community when you are expected to submit reports which turn out to be old. Why would a boss want a paper that you copied when he could get it himself by searching google?

I guess whether you are for are against cheating just depends on how much you value education and the integrity of such.

manOFice

15-03-2007 12:32:49

When I was in high school....two kids plagiarized a book report...they didn't talk with each other at all...what do you know...they submitted the report word for word to the teacher......o boy did the teacher raise hell. It was pretty funny ...idiots...cheating doesn't get you anywhere

dmorris68

15-03-2007 12:36:36

Well said, Gigante. I just love it when folks generalize and say "everybody does X" just because it makes them feel better about themselves.

Personally I don't recall ever cheating in HS, and certainly not in college.

Not everybody HAS to cheat to make it, you know. ;)

And as an old fart, one of the biggest problems I continue to see with young people today is the total lack of self-respect and this sense of entitlement (i.e. get it by whatever means is easiest without having to work for it). Not that I'M generalizing, because I know all aren't like that, but it is a prevailing perception of their attitude -- just ask any adult over 30.

Offer4All

15-03-2007 12:52:01

[quote6a9dabf320="Gigante"][quote6a9dabf320="Offer4All"]Students have been cheating their way through school and it is never going to stop. Everybody in hear have cheated in high school. College students are too afraid to cheat, so there is little cheating in the universities. But no one can honestly say that they have never cheated.[/quote6a9dabf320]

You can't take your morals and apply them to everyone and assume everybody lacks the same morals you lack.

Cheating is becoming too rampant in schools. When I was in HS, my last two years both valedictorians were rampant cheaters. Cheating gets you nowhere in the business community when you are expected to submit reports which turn out to be old. Why would a boss want a paper that you copied when he could get it himself by searching google?

I guess whether you are for are against cheating just depends on how much you value education and the integrity of such.[/quote6a9dabf320]

) smile a little, you are taking this too seriously. By saying everybody cheats i am not exactly saying that everybody plagiarizes on papers or cheat on tests. Cheating also includes copying homework answer from a friend, even if it is just one question. i doubt anybody can honetstly say that havent done that. It is not a serious offense but it is still considered cheating. Cheating can also include little things you know, it doesnt always have to something huge.

EatChex89

15-03-2007 12:52:13

boooo. that sucks that he got snitched on.

the thread has a few laughs in it tho.

it's looong. I'm on page 15 and there's no sign of ending!!

Gigante

15-03-2007 13:14:42

[quote4a63df04af="Offer4All"][quote4a63df04af="Gigante"][quote4a63df04af="Offer4All"]Students have been cheating their way through school and it is never going to stop. Everybody in hear have cheated in high school. College students are too afraid to cheat, so there is little cheating in the universities. But no one can honestly say that they have never cheated.[/quote4a63df04af]

I guess whether you are for are against cheating just depends on how much you value education and the integrity of such.[/quote4a63df04af]

) smile a little, you are taking this too seriously. By saying everybody cheats i am not exactly saying that everybody plagiarizes on papers or cheat on tests. Cheating also includes copying homework answer from a friend, even if it is just one question. i doubt anybody can honetstly say that havent done that. It is not a serious offense but it is still considered cheating. Cheating can also include little things you know, it doesnt always have to something huge.[/quote4a63df04af]

Smiling is obviously for cheaters. As you can see in my avatar, I don't smile.

As far as cheating, again, you assume that everybody has the same morals as you and sees copying homework as "ok" yet it is classified as cheating. Obviously it is cheating, and there are many people that don't condone cheating by themselves or others, and therefore do not partake in "copying homework from a friend". What is the point in claiming to accomplish something you did not accomplish? I am much more willing to simply admit to a teacher I did not manage my time well enough to finish an assignment than to copy the answers from someone else. Doing so cheats the people that do the work. But I guess in most cases, those that take the easy route lose in the end, and therefore, cheaters cheat themselves (and others).

Offer4All

15-03-2007 13:19:13

Well of course cheating is never a good thing and should not be condoned by anybody. Most people will not argue against that. I was merely saying that most people have done some sort of cheating in their academic life. Whether it be middle school, high school or whatever the academic level is. No need to argue really.

Tsmith10803

15-03-2007 13:32:16

I think snitching is more than called for in some situations, but completely unneccessary in others.

This one, I don't think called for snitching on him, that could've ruined his entire life if he got kicked out of college, he should've talked to the kid and told him to say he didn't do it and turn in nothing, instead of be a 'snitch'.

Other situations, more severe, with law enforcement, and just moral situations, I think it's more than warranted on most occasions.

fawker

15-03-2007 13:41:39

scent of a woman anyone? great movie

good2speed

15-03-2007 14:39:03

[quotee10006b955="jadem"]Ok, I skimmed the entire thing and it seems there isn't a 100% certainty that the myspace is linked to the actual snitch.

I would have snitched on him too.

Shit, I used to be a lab TA for an intro to C class and there was a student who never came to lab, but always managed to turn in his assignment electronically from home.

That was OK, until the second lab where he obviously copied and pasted the code three times...from another student!!! How did I know? He only changed the header information at the top...not in the other places that still had the other student's name. You'd think he would have compiled the damn thing to see if it would work (it didn't compile). Needless to say, I talked to the instructor.

The funniest thing...I was the TA he handed his final exam into...which is odd since all the sections took the final at the same time and I [be10006b955]volunteered[/be10006b955] to proctor it (having never stepped foot into class, there was no way for him to know it was me). / I handed it in to the instructor and said, "Look who's exam I got!" and we laughed.

Cheating in programming courses is HUGE, so it's no surprise that 6 others in the OPs class cheated as well.[/quotee10006b955]

yes very true you will see a lot of cheats in comp sci classes. I even gave out a few programs to a few friends who didnt finish. I was usually a good student so I was getting a good grade regardless and din't care either way what my friend was getting.

Overall though cheating in comp sci is retarded if you intend to build a career out of that. What do you do when your on the job and dont have the answer. You can try to ask some work buddies but they will blow you off since you cheated yourself through programming and can't even set up an array or a class. Very counterproductive for a CS student. Your just shooting yourself in the foot.

One of the reasons I never cheated was, excuse my vanity, because I never felt anyone was smarter then me. Well actually I did but I had too much pride in myself to ask them for help. It was always a competition with me. I'd always try to outdo the 'smartest' in the class.

Anyways I jsut never trusted anyone enough to cpy off of them or were too proud to look for help. I always felt I had a better chance of using my brain then depeding on someone else.

GCY

15-03-2007 21:01:32

[quote830a615a11="good2speed"][quote830a615a11="JJPRO11"]i'll be damned.. the teacher is a pretty decent milf as well.
http//www.unf.edu/~jgaudry/Personal/[/quote830a615a11]

just threw up in my mouth...[/quote830a615a11]
yea exactly. Can't believe most ppl on that forum think shes hot. shock
My Pysch 100 teacher is like 100x hotter than her. Just imagine a blonde, 26 years old chick. D

JJPRO11

15-03-2007 23:23:18

[quote0299a2e6fc="GCY"][quote0299a2e6fc="good2speed"][quote0299a2e6fc="JJPRO11"]i'll be damned.. the teacher is a pretty decent milf as well.
http//www.unf.edu/~jgaudry/Personal/[/quote0299a2e6fc]

just threw up in my mouth...[/quote0299a2e6fc]
My Pysch 100 teacher is like 100x hotter than her. Just imagine a blonde, 26 years old chick. D[/quote0299a2e6fc]

i said for a milf.. not a bonafide babe. id let her go down on me, wouldnt want her as a gf or marriage though.

Gigante

16-03-2007 10:02:55

[quotec96d4cf1e7="GCY"][quotec96d4cf1e7="good2speed"][quotec96d4cf1e7="JJPRO11"]i'll be damned.. the teacher is a pretty decent milf as well.
http//www.unf.edu/~jgaudry/Personal/[/quotec96d4cf1e7]

just threw up in my mouth...[/quotec96d4cf1e7]
My Pysch 100 teacher is like 100x hotter than her. Just imagine a blonde, 26 years old chick. D[/quotec96d4cf1e7]

How exactly do you have a 26 year old professor? I would be surprised to see one under 35.

I don't see how some of you can be so lackadaisical when it comes to cheating. Not sure about the schools you guys go/went to, but at mine most classes are curved, so that person cheating ruins the curve and takes a spot from someone who actually earned it. In many of the business classes, missing two points in 100 shoots you down to a B because of the shear competitiveness of the class and the curve.

GCY

16-03-2007 10:50:33

All I know is that shes a grad student. Maybe teaching is just temporary?
and shes been teaching for 2-3 years.

Gigante

16-03-2007 10:54:47

[quote19f409ca2c="GCY"]All I know is that shes a grad student. Maybe teaching is just temporary?
and shes been teaching for 2-3 years.[/quote19f409ca2c]

Oh you get taught by grad students?

GCY

16-03-2007 11:38:23

does it matter? Shes an interesting professor. Knows her stuff, willing to help as much as possible, funny, etc... Got me interested in the subject. Best Prof. I had so far but I'm just a freshman. I rather have a young prof. than an older one anyday.

Killer722

16-03-2007 12:40:40

[quote4fcaae5ae0="fawker"]scent of a woman anyone? great movie[/quote4fcaae5ae0]

HOOOOOWAAAHHH

good2speed

16-03-2007 13:03:56

[quoteaf1f2a1fe2="GCY"]does it matter? Shes an interesting professor. Knows her stuff, willing to help as much as possible, funny, etc... Got me interested in the subject. Best Prof. I had so far but I'm just a freshman. I rather have a young prof. than an older one anyday.[/quoteaf1f2a1fe2]

Id rather have a wiser professor then an unwise one. Also age doesnt really amtter. If youre a good prof you should be able to thru to your students at any age.

good2speed

16-03-2007 13:04:43

[quotea551d3fb92="good2speed"][quotea551d3fb92="GCY"]does it matter? Shes an interesting professor. Knows her stuff, willing to help as much as possible, funny, etc... Got me interested in the subject. Best Prof. I had so far but I'm just a freshman. I rather have a young prof. than an older one anyday.[/quotea551d3fb92]

Id rather have a wiser professor then an unwise one. Also age doesnt really amtter. If youre a good prof you should be able to get thru to your students at any age.[/quotea551d3fb92]

kidd2108

16-03-2007 13:08:19

[quotee389936e45="good2speed"][quotee389936e45="GCY"]does it matter? Shes an interesting professor. Knows her stuff, willing to help as much as possible, funny, etc... Got me interested in the subject. Best Prof. I had so far but I'm just a freshman. I rather have a young prof. than an older one anyday.[/quotee389936e45]

Id rather have a wiser professor then an unwise one. Also age doesnt really amtter. If youre a good prof you should be able to thru to your students at any age.[/quotee389936e45]

Id rather have a hot dumb blonde as a professor than a wise ugly one. D

Anyways, GCY, what college do you go to?

GCY

16-03-2007 14:21:29

[quotea23d8cbc1a="kidd2108"][quotea23d8cbc1a="good2speed"][quotea23d8cbc1a="GCY"]does it matter? Shes an interesting professor. Knows her stuff, willing to help as much as possible, funny, etc... Got me interested in the subject. Best Prof. I had so far but I'm just a freshman. I rather have a young prof. than an older one anyday.[/quotea23d8cbc1a]

Id rather have a wiser professor then an unwise one. Also age doesnt really amtter. If youre a good prof you should be able to thru to your students at any age.[/quotea23d8cbc1a]

Anyways, GCY, what college do you go to?[/quotea23d8cbc1a]
CUNY Hunter

kidd2108

17-03-2007 14:20:29

[quotec67c82a15d="GCY"][quotec67c82a15d="kidd2108"][quotec67c82a15d="good2speed"][quotec67c82a15d="GCY"]does it matter? Shes an interesting professor. Knows her stuff, willing to help as much as possible, funny, etc... Got me interested in the subject. Best Prof. I had so far but I'm just a freshman. I rather have a young prof. than an older one anyday.[/quotec67c82a15d]

Id rather have a wiser professor then an unwise one. Also age doesnt really amtter. If youre a good prof you should be able to thru to your students at any age.[/quotec67c82a15d]

Anyways, GCY, what college do you go to?[/quotec67c82a15d]
CUNY Hunter[/quotec67c82a15d]

Haha, that was my second option in chosing colleges. Actually when I login to my blackboard account it says I'm a student there even tough I've never enrolled.

Gigante

17-03-2007 17:37:06

[quote7279e9fe53="GCY"]does it matter? Shes an interesting professor. Knows her stuff, willing to help as much as possible, funny, etc... Got me interested in the subject. Best Prof. I had so far but I'm just a freshman. I rather have a young prof. than an older one anyday.[/quote7279e9fe53]

Well to someone that cares about their education it should matter a lot. There is a huge difference in a graduate student and a professor. The only time I would take a grad student is if I had been @ Columbia when Warren Buffett was there and earned the only A+ ever given by Ben Graham. I would have let Buffett teach me.

GCY

17-03-2007 19:15:23

[quote3704734800="kidd2108"][quote3704734800="GCY"][quote3704734800="kidd2108"][quote3704734800="good2speed"][quote3704734800="GCY"]does it matter? Shes an interesting professor. Knows her stuff, willing to help as much as possible, funny, etc... Got me interested in the subject. Best Prof. I had so far but I'm just a freshman. I rather have a young prof. than an older one anyday.[/quote3704734800]

Id rather have a wiser professor then an unwise one. Also age doesnt really amtter. If youre a good prof you should be able to thru to your students at any age.[/quote3704734800]

Anyways, GCY, what college do you go to?[/quote3704734800]
CUNY Hunter[/quote3704734800]

Haha, that was my second option in chosing colleges. Actually when I login to my blackboard account it says I'm a student there even tough I've never enrolled.[/quote3704734800]
its my second choice also. Got rejected by my first (

GCY

17-03-2007 19:20:53

[quote4597a15c3c="Gigante"][quote4597a15c3c="GCY"]does it matter? Shes an interesting professor. Knows her stuff, willing to help as much as possible, funny, etc... Got me interested in the subject. Best Prof. I had so far but I'm just a freshman. I rather have a young prof. than an older one anyday.[/quote4597a15c3c]

Well to someone that cares about their education it should matter a lot. There is a huge difference in a graduate student and a professor. The only time I would take a grad student is if I had been @ Columbia when Warren Buffett was there and earned the only A+ ever given by Ben Graham. I would have let Buffett teach me.[/quote4597a15c3c]
so u need grad school to be a college prof.?
Shes getting a PHD in BioPsych so I dont know if shes a "real" prof. or its just a temporary thing

dmorris68

17-03-2007 19:53:41

[quote331e18c05e="GCY"][quote331e18c05e="Gigante"][quote331e18c05e="GCY"]does it matter? Shes an interesting professor. Knows her stuff, willing to help as much as possible, funny, etc... Got me interested in the subject. Best Prof. I had so far but I'm just a freshman. I rather have a young prof. than an older one anyday.[/quote331e18c05e]

Well to someone that cares about their education it should matter a lot. There is a huge difference in a graduate student and a professor. The only time I would take a grad student is if I had been @ Columbia when Warren Buffett was there and earned the only A+ ever given by Ben Graham. I would have let Buffett teach me.[/quote331e18c05e]
so u need grad school to be a college prof.?
Shes getting a PHD in BioPsych so I dont know if shes a "real" prof. or its just a temporary thing[/quote331e18c05e]
In most cases, yes. Hell, you need grad school to be a high school teacher in some places, at least around here. You can start with a BA but after so many years if you aren't pursuing at least your MA then you get booted.

You might make Associate Prof with a 4-year degree depending on the college, but probably not at any reputable university.