Php Coding People.

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=56460

Veek

11-03-2007 16:30:42

Hi.

I'm in charge or redesigning an organizations website that deals with girls and self-esteem. Problem is that I was given the job without being told that some of the coding is done in PHP. I know HTML and all that jazz, but not very familiar with php.

There are databases already created that were part of her previous design. I just need to know how I go about changing some attributes, or how would I put this old code into the new design? Would I cut and paste it from the editor into the new page?

Many thanks. I'll see what I can reward the helpful person with. wink

P.S. I'm doing some research on the net about php, but obviously I can't learn it all in one day. x cry

KeithA

11-03-2007 17:34:21

Unfortunately I can't help you Veek, but the website sounds like a good cause. I have personally found that my self-esteem increases the more girls I get.

Is this a paid gig? If so, you might be able to get some help on a site like rentacoder.com for relatively cheap.

Veek

11-03-2007 18:38:34

P I tried getting one from rentacoder.com. We'll see how the bidding goes.

From my understanding, the databases and some of the code is already there. I just need to know how to modify it to add/change fields or whatever.

C'mon smarties!

cwncool

11-03-2007 19:36:30

If you just want to change some database input and information, I can help you out. Might as well save you some money from rentacoder as long as it's not [i053ea9d88d]too[/i053ea9d88d] much work. I PMed you... )

Jams44

11-03-2007 19:44:24

Just look at some MySQL commands (if that is what type of database you are using). Then change data in PHP by using mysql queries

Veek

11-03-2007 20:01:03

[quote90948bd92e="Jams44"]Just look at some MySQL commands (if that is what type of database you are using). Then change data in PHP by using mysql queries[/quote90948bd92e]

....?

x cry

dmorris68

11-03-2007 20:06:40

If you're going to modify the database structure (add/modify/remove field definitions and tables), you generally won't do that through the sites PHP code, you'll do it from a database client. Assuming MySQL, you'd use something like the command-line client, or more likely, through phpMyAdmin which is a web interface that runs on the server.

If you're just talking about adding/modifying [ic8557788b9]data[/ic8557788b9] to an already existing database structure, you should be able to read the PHP code and figure it out. The PHP code to do it is simple and straightforward, however you need to be able to understand SQL too, not just PHP.

PHP syntax is based loosely upon C/C++, just like Java and JavaScript. If you're a web designer and have done much JavaScript, then core PHP syntax shouldn't be entirely foreign to you, although there are some significant differences too. A good beginner's PHP reference should get you where you need to be. Otherwise hiring a short-term coder is probably your best bet.

Jams44

11-03-2007 20:39:55

If it is relatively short, as in not a huge ass project I can do it for you for very little money. I could probably do it in a day or something, I have lots of priorities so nothing big. I could always help you out if you plan on doing this yourself!

hehehhehe

11-03-2007 21:57:15

[quote37a2cb1a3c="dmorris68"]If you're going to modify the database structure (add/modify/remove field definitions and tables), you generally won't do that through the sites PHP code, you'll do it from a database client. Assuming MySQL, you'd use something like the command-line client, or more likely, through phpMyAdmin which is a web interface that runs on the server.

If you're just talking about adding/modifying [i37a2cb1a3c]data[/i37a2cb1a3c] to an already existing database structure, you should be able to read the PHP code and figure it out. The PHP code to do it is simple and straightforward, however you need to be able to understand SQL too, not just PHP.[/quote37a2cb1a3c]
Not surprisingly, that's perfectly said.

Using phpmyadmin, you can easily change the attributes to the database, and you or the site owners need to just add/delete/change the data can also do it this way. So at that point, your work limightli be done. However, if you need to create php scripts to allow site users to manipulate the data (a mailing list for a site is a common example), that would take some work if you've never done it before. For a php/mysql pro, it would not be too much work.

SQL queries are very straightforward so you could probably learn the basics pretty quickly.

fawker

12-03-2007 00:44:24

I have a class in php...if only I went

Paczki

12-03-2007 02:19:12

if its just redesigning it or what not... can't you do that through css?

Veek

12-03-2007 12:04:03

[quote34c1013559="fawker"]I have a class in php...if only I went[/quote34c1013559]

Uh, Okay? You mean a php class. roll

[quote34c1013559="Paczki"]if its just redesigning it or what not... can't you do that through css?[/quote34c1013559]

No. CSS won't create forms and e-mail the filled out form. It also won't create a database if it's needed. The redesign is done, what I need is help creating forms and knowing how to create databases where the filled out form will be stored.

[quote34c1013559="Jams44"]If it is relatively short, as in not a huge ass project I can do it for you for very little money. I could probably do it in a day or something, I have lots of priorities so nothing big. I could always help you out if you plan on doing this yourself![/quote34c1013559]

Jams44, thanks for the offer. "cwncool" is helping me out with the forms. I have another small one I have to complete, but I'm studying his code to see how he did it so I can make a replica and change the details. I'll let you know if he can't help me with the second one so that you can give it a shot.

Everyone else, I'm learning as I go but since I have to get this done, I don't have time to look into details. I might after I finish though. Thanks everyone else.

TriforceXHacks

12-03-2007 13:17:21

[quotefa91b4e92b="fawker"]I have a class in php...if only I went[/quotefa91b4e92b]

Pun intended? lol