Pitch Black

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=55836

stueybaby17

05-03-2007 10:20:08

I couldnt' think of a good title for this topic. But I know I heard or read somewhere that if you are like in a dark cave or something that is like pitch black that if you have your eyes open after a few hours you'll start to hallucinate, and after like a day or something you will go crazy.

It has something to do with how the brain registers sences. The brain knows that your eyes are open and that you should see something, like any type of light or something. And after not seeing it, the brain starts to just make stuff up.

I'm not sure of the exact way this happens but I wanted to learn more about it, but I'm not sure what it is called or what I should search to find out more about it.

Anybody know the name?

bruman

05-03-2007 10:24:44

Sensory deprivation

stueybaby17

05-03-2007 10:34:05

Ok so I was thinking that, but for some reason I thought it was something different.

Wolfeman

05-03-2007 12:48:19

[quotefd7f5bba81="bruman"]Sensory deprivation[/quotefd7f5bba81]
Yeah it'll fuck you up really bad. You lose totally sense of time and you think its been hours but its only been a few minutes. Crazy stuff...

stueybaby17

05-03-2007 12:59:55

[quotee5fa8d3dee="Wolfeman"][quotee5fa8d3dee="bruman"]Sensory deprivation[/quotee5fa8d3dee]
Yeah it'll fuck you up really bad. You lose totally sense of time and you think its been hours but its only been a few minutes. Crazy stuff...[/quotee5fa8d3dee]

Yeah I actually heard about that and I found some place that was like super ass dark. Like it was in a closet in my house with my blinds shut, at night. I was pretty much pure darkness and I went in there for like 15 min and kept my eyes open the whole time and I was about to go nuts. It was messed up.

fawker

05-03-2007 13:51:08

I don't know but I remember watching a science video about a guy who lived in a cave for a period of time to see what our actual biological clocks run at. He figured out that we run on 25 hours a day so every day he would get up an hour later I believe

Wolfeman

05-03-2007 13:55:27

There have been a lot of experiments about sensory deprivation. I'll try to find some I've seen...

Killer722

05-03-2007 14:13:37

This is interesting, if I ever get a chance I'd try it. I always wanted to hallucinate, but I don't do drugs.

TriforceXHacks

05-03-2007 14:31:23

[quotee6517819f3="Killer722"]This is interesting, if I ever get a chance I'd try it. I always wanted to hallucinate, but I don't do drugs.[/quotee6517819f3]

Every sane person should experience one psychoactive substance in their lifetime as long as it is in a comfortable and safe environment. Not necessarily man-made substances such as LSD, but mescaline, peyote, and mushrooms and other natural psychoactives may have a very positive and/or perspective-changing effect on your life.

On the 'Pitch Black' theory, of course you will, when depriving oneself of vision you allow for an enhanced if not superior ability to utilize your other senses, sometimes out of the mind's control. Look up "pressure phosphene" and "visual cortex". Interesting stuff, I firmly believe that man has yet to even grasp a drop of understanding of the human brain.

stueybaby17

05-03-2007 14:37:22

[quotee76d32fdd1="TriforceXHacks"][quotee76d32fdd1="Killer722"]This is interesting, if I ever get a chance I'd try it. I always wanted to hallucinate, but I don't do drugs.[/quotee76d32fdd1]

Every sane person should experience one psychoactive substance in their lifetime as long as it is in a comfortable and safe environment. Not necessarily man-made substances such as LSD, but mescaline, peyote, and mushrooms and other natural psychoactives may have a very positive and/or perspective-changing effect on your life.

[/quotee76d32fdd1]

I'm not really into drugs, but I've tried some. I'm always a little afraid to try psychoactives because if I freak out I don't want to be freaking out for hours. I'm sure you probably know what I mean.

TriforceXHacks

05-03-2007 14:43:01

[quotebd45acd72c="stueybaby17"][quotebd45acd72c="TriforceXHacks"][quotebd45acd72c="Killer722"]This is interesting, if I ever get a chance I'd try it. I always wanted to hallucinate, but I don't do drugs.[/quotebd45acd72c]

[/quotebd45acd72c]

I'm not really into drugs, but I've tried some. I'm always a little afraid to try psychoactives because if I freak out I don't want to be freaking out for hours. I'm sure you probably know what I mean.[/quotebd45acd72c]

I never would promote a regular usage of illicit drugs, or legal ones for that matter, but in a safe and comfortable environment, most psychoactives can provide a very entertaining and insightful learning experience. I have tried most of the big names out there and almost everything has its ups and downs, but I must stand firm that some of my hallucinations and realizations have paved the way for many of my current views. Lets be honest, if the Beatles never dropped acid, we'd still be listening to bubblegum music. (See White Album, Magical Mystery Tour).

bruman

05-03-2007 14:53:07

Definitely. When used in a respected and safe manner, psychedelics can be one of the most profound and important experiences in your life. It teaches you about the nature of reality and, with the right intent and mindset, can present you with direct spiritual connectedness that is unachievable during everyday starts of consciousness.

Unfortunately we don't have this in our culture. Instead, we demonize them and completely turn our backs to the absolutely distinct and clear potential they have. Cultures all over the world use these substances as ways as medicinal or theraputic tools and ways to connect with the divine. Thats why people are scared to try it, because of what the government and culture all around you says about them. When in reality, psychedelics/entheogens are remarkably safe. The only real potential problem is psychological -- not being ready for the experience, which, as I said, is a consequence of our culture.

TriforceXHacks

05-03-2007 15:42:13

[quoteef9a45a5f6="bruman"]Cultures all over the world use these substances[/quoteef9a45a5f6]

Example The Native Americans and peyote.

bruman

05-03-2007 15:51:31

[quote116d5fa257="TriforceXHacks"][quote116d5fa257="bruman"]Cultures all over the world use these substances[/quote116d5fa257]

Example The Native Americans and peyote.[/quote116d5fa257]

Mazatec indians and Salvia Divinorum. Amazonian tribes and the Ayahuasca brew. Tribes in peru use peruvian torch. Many cultures (mayans, aztecs) use psilocybin. The list goes on.

Also, mushrooms such as psilocybin and amanita muscaria have an amazing history of how they affected and shaped the world and have been used for thousands and thousands of years throughout history.