Evil In Society

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=55657

OldManWrigley

03-03-2007 11:38:07

For English I have to do a unit assignment on the Renaissance, and it requires me asking some people their opinion (15 to be exact). It is similar to that thread I made about the hero in our society. Anyway, the question is

What are the causes of evil and suffering in this world?
What role does the church play in alleviating these evils and sufferings?

Hey, it might start a debate too...../waits for ilanbg

good2speed

03-03-2007 11:45:44

[quote57008e104d="OldManWrigley"]
What are the causes of evil and suffering in this world? [/quote57008e104d]

OMW threads

[quote57008e104d="OldManWrigley"]
[/quote57008e104d]

God only knows.

FreeOffersNow

03-03-2007 11:51:17

Am I the only one getting tired of these people bringing all of their assignments to the forum? Go find 15 people IN THE REAL WORLD (as I'm sure was your teacher's intention) and ask them...are you guys so dependant on the internet that you're actually afraid to talk to "real" people?

OldManWrigley

03-03-2007 12:00:58

I could ask real people, or I could lie in my bed and ask people on a forum. People I ask on a forum's responses will vary more then if I ask all my friends who come from the same place and are the same age.

FreeOffersNow

03-03-2007 12:02:38

[quotec41cb29bf3="OldManWrigley"]I could ask real people, or I could lie in my bed and ask people on a forum. People I ask on a forum's responses will vary more then if I ask all my friends who come from the same place and are the same age.[/quotec41cb29bf3]

Nobody said you had to ask your friends...you need 15 responses...let's be realistic ;)

OldManWrigley

03-03-2007 12:04:50

Ok, if I don't ask my friends...who am I going to ask? Can you just answer the question? Please?

J4320

03-03-2007 12:07:47

Ask the ChaCha guides. lol

FreeOffersNow

03-03-2007 12:11:34

[quoted683d59a4e="OldManWrigley"]Ok, if I don't ask my friends...who am I going to ask? Can you just answer the question? Please?[/quoted683d59a4e]

The joke was that you didn't have 15 friends - guess you missed it. What did your teacher specify? 15 PEOPLE? 15 FRIENDS? Friends and Family? A random sample?

OldManWrigley

04-03-2007 01:24:00

Been playing for quite sometime, and just randomly noticed my stack....

http/" alt=""/img151.imageshack.us/img="151/586/l337fv6.jpg[" alt=""/imga50b51206d]

Didn't feel like making a new thread....so yeah.

TryinToGetPaid

04-03-2007 06:34:37

Causes of evil - well today everything is blamed on mental health, rarely does someone commit a crime of pure evil and they say that they did it on purpose. It usually is some mental disease that drove them to this.

The church doesn't help - it only makes young children afraid of old men.....

jy3

04-03-2007 16:45:02

hey
if u want a great short story to reference in your paper, read "A Lodging for the Night" by robert louis stevenson.
excellent short story, relates to what u are writing about
ego/superego/id would be interesting
http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego,_superego,_and_id

Dave82

04-03-2007 17:06:44

Haha, I dont think high school assignments ask you to poll people a lot. And are they going to ask every student in the class to poll 15 people? I mean, that doesnt seem right.

[b73a27c871b]I think you are just trying to get someone to do the assignment, which is the "poll" question.[/b73a27c871b] But you dont want to get bagged on for asking for [i73a27c871b]another[/i73a27c871b] homework assignment and this way gets people to answer and you have more than one answer to select from.

I mean, why would you ask people online for a school survey. I understand you get a wide variety of opinions, but it's for school..... so who will you cite as the source...."theysayjump" "h3x"? lol

Dave82

04-03-2007 18:16:54

Okay, seeing as my first post did not help, I will post an actual response.

[b1288f13af9]I think nonbelief in karma accounts for evil.[/b1288f13af9]

The church one is not one I can answer in a few paragraphs.

Um, I think it is good that you want diverse answers. So it is a good idea to consider an internet forum because you get people of different views, ages, ethnicities, backgrounds, etc. So i think it is a good idea, but probably not for a school assignment.

Also, just a note (and kinda in regards to your other locked thread) Wait until you go to college. You will meet so many diverse people. I think in high school, although you pick your friends, things are more limited.
Plus you will meet so many different types of girls. You may think most girls are a certain way, but wait until you go to college where they arent completely focused on "fashion and boyz." There are a lot girls out there are conservative and cool at the same time.

ilanbg

04-03-2007 18:19:03

[quote040fc54453="OldManWrigley"]What are the causes of evil and suffering in this world? [/quote040fc54453]

All of them? Or some of them? It could be anything from alcohol to religious persecution. On an international level I'd say it's still the propaganda of politics, and the way it either forces governments to endorse policies that cause suffering or prevents them from being able to and/or having incentive to create policies that really matter.

As for evil, I don't believe in it. Every action stems from a variety of qualities and characteristics that are the result of other actions; mind you, this doesn't justify irreprehensible actions, but they're never caused by 'evil.'

[quote040fc54453]What role does the church play in alleviating these evils and sufferings?[/quote040fc54453]

Again, on what level?

[quote040fc54453]Hey, it might start a debate too...../waits for ilanbg[/quote040fc54453]

lol

justinag06

04-03-2007 19:00:56

[quote5c08bec4d0="OldManWrigley"]For English I have to do a unit assignment on the Renaissance, and it requires me asking some people their opinion (15 to be exact). It is similar to that thread I made about the hero in our society. Anyway, the question is

Hey, it might start a debate too...../waits for ilanbg[/quote5c08bec4d0]
I kinda agree with dave about the karma. You look at everyone, and they have a problem with somebody else. They don't forgive and forget, they instead hate and attack.

I think if we all looked to the church more for our values(the golden rule, etc.) instead of criticizing it for whatever faults it may have we would be better off.

Then again I think part of the reason we all hate each other stems from these ultra conservative sects found in religion today. Those that blindly follow any political leader, or religion.

OldManWrigley

04-03-2007 19:26:08

[quote079efbe9a9="Dave82"]Haha, I dont think high school assignments ask you to poll people a lot. And are they going to ask every student in the class to poll 15 people? I mean, that doesnt seem right.

[b079efbe9a9]I think you are just trying to get someone to do the assignment, which is the "poll" question.[/b079efbe9a9] But you dont want to get bagged on for asking for [i079efbe9a9]another[/i079efbe9a9] homework assignment and this way gets people to answer and you have more than one answer to select from.

I mean, why would you ask people online for a school survey. I understand you get a wide variety of opinions, but it's for school..... so who will you cite as the source...."theysayjump" "h3x"? lol[/quote079efbe9a9]

[img079efbe9a9]http/" alt=""/img178.imageshack.us/img="178/3903/1020296gm6.th.jpg[" alt=""/img079efbe9a9][=http//img="178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1020296gm6.jpg][img079efbe9a9]http/" alt=""/img178.imageshack.us/img="178/3903/1020296gm6.th.jpg[" alt=""/img079efbe9a9]

Thanks for the responses all! Ilanbg, would you mind giving me your name and last name/last name initial? Thanks )

Dave, what's your last name/last name initial? I like your response of karma. It's..interesting.

ilanbg

04-03-2007 19:48:12

First name Ilan
Last name initial B-G

The only thing I don't like about this assignment is how vague 'the church' is. Which sect? Which country—the vatican or the little steeple on Main Street?

The problem with 'the church' is that it has become so polarized by politics. We see the church (and I use the term to encompass all sects) creating huge controversy over gay marriage, stem cell research, the war in Iraq, theory of evolution, etc etc etc. I personally believe the church's bearing presence in America prevents it from dealing with secular issues... secularly. All the issues I give as examples ('gay... evolution') are not even debated in most parts of Europe. Secular thinking prevails; so I would say the church contributes to suffering by preventing, to all varying degrees, secular thought.

OldManWrigley

04-03-2007 20:05:21

[quoteebb4fba07d="ilanbg"]First name Ilan
Last name initial B-G

The only thing I don't like about this assignment is how vague 'the church' is. Which sect? Which country—the vatican or the little steeple on Main Street?[/quoteebb4fba07d]

I don't agree with that, or the fact she summarized evil and suffering together. I mean a reason for evil could differ so greatly than a reason for suffering. Oh well.

Dave82

04-03-2007 21:03:12

[quotec27f024b8c="OldManWrigley"]

[imgc27f024b8c]http/" alt=""/img178.imageshack.us/img="178/3903/1020296gm6.th.jpg[" alt=""/imgc27f024b8c][=http//img="178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1020296gm6.jpg][imgc27f024b8c]http/" alt=""/img178.imageshack.us/img="178/3903/1020296gm6.th.jpg[" alt=""/imgc27f024b8c]

Thanks for the responses all! Ilanbg, would you mind giving me your name and last name/last name initial? Thanks )

Dave, what's your last name/last name initial? I like your response of karma. It's..interesting.[/quotec27f024b8c]

David R. P.

Haha, you didnt have to post that image. But i suppose that was better than bickering about it. Anyway, I just meant that if more people believed that bad stuff came back to you (was caused by your previous bad actions) and vise versa for good deeds, then they would act differently and have different goals actually.

Whoa OMW, I was talking on the phone with my fiance about one of your posts..... anyway, I ended up writing this looooon thing you have to read.

Haha, you pissed her off a little, but what I wrote about what we came up with is worth reading. I'm actually gonna post it on my website too. It made a lot of sense and I'm glad i took the time to type it out.

Edit PMed. It's reallyyyyyyyy long, but very worth reading and great advice about a couple things you brought up in previous threads.

SO READ IT! )

jadem

05-03-2007 12:39:01

I think people use the term "evil" to describe those people who commit acts that arise from a lack of morals or conscience. And although both topics (morals and conscience) can be debated due to differences in beliefs, most can agree that some things are inherently immoral such as murder, child molestation, etc. The Christian religion dictates that evil exists because of Satan. Those who do not have the same beliefs would have a different answer.

I think the role the Church plays is by determining that people aren't evil, but they do evil things. Evil is given the name Satan, or the Devil, as a way to explain why some people do things that are deemed immoral (or, for your sake, evil), to place the blame on something other than God's children. The Christian bible teaches that all God's children are inherently good, but that Satan corrupts and causes them to sin (and by sinning and giving in to sin, without asking Christ for salvation, they are condemned). For those without belief in the Christian God, they may believe that people can be evil.

In short, the Christian Church alleviates the evil but demanding the person isn't evil, and that Christ will come again and take his children (The Rapture), leaving the condemned behind.

egyptianruin

05-03-2007 13:13:11

1. Evil, according to the church, is embodied in all human beings from birth.

2. By asking for forgiveness from God we are relieving our sins. It all began with Adam and Even being cast fromt he Garden of Eden. The apple is the symbol of man's sin. The Eucharist for example is the fulfillment of God's plan for the salvation of humanity from sin "For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him." I'm agnostic so none of this applies to me but you wanted an answer. The Renaissance is about enlightment and aligning yourself with the divine by obeying the churches rules of morality.